Sign in to follow this  
Biervampyr

Extended Bounty Mod Discussion

Hi everybody,

i have this idea a long time in my mind so i really would like to discuss this with the community what they think about. The only thing i would like is that all people keep an open mind and think out of the box.

So right now what i would suggest is a extented bounty mod. From what i understand the Bounty mod hijack some methods of creating item (money) out of thin air, so i thought why not use this method to change the drop table of mobs (maybe we can even use the method of the unique drop table).

What we need be of course the core mod but also some external tool (like a editor) to create and edit the propertie file outside of wordpad (or other programms you use).

This would help (i think) to increase the base of wurm players becouse it could be used to attract people from other genres like RPG players.

With this mod + cave building + mission generator you would be able to make a nearly new wu feeling.

Think about small maps with an RPG setting around or something like this.

What we will need:

-core mod to create items out of thin air (dont count on me i couldnt even get a javaclass file decompiled :D )

-an external tool for easy handling the droptables of mobs (again dont count on me...im just here for ideas :D )

diTHBke.png

(this is just a really basic example what the external tool would need to look like ;) )

So guys what would you think about something like this?

Edited by Biervampyr

This is very doable but I wanted to take it a step further.    Instead of items which could potentially end up as a lot of trash ( 100's of longswords laying around on one hunt) I wanted to work on more rare random drops on bosses.    

Im working on the draft of a mod that would not only assign loot tables to certain creatures types but also a lair spawner that would spawn the mobs, make the loot check, and the load the appropriate item.   This could be like a rare sword with some type of enchantment.   All of which would be done against a lookup table.   

This could be useful for repopulating dungeons, and event areas.  

Its still very much in work in progress, but its something ive wanted to have for the adventure types we have on our server.   

Here was my post: 

PS this probably needs to be moved to MOD requests.  

Edited by razoreqx

you are thinking much bigger than me ;) so its a little bit diffrent what i thought about.

some minutes ago i talked with a friend of me to make a small map (1024) and the compleate map is just a maze of hedges. you just start with maybe a short sword and shield and some leather armour (nothing more and no tools!!!). than as you walk into the maze you start to kill mobs (spawned by mission) try to survive and find the exit. this mod would made distributian of dropped items much simpler. maybe with some traders in between for safe spots and to get better gear. this would mean take out the sandbox and make it more in a short story rpg ;) something like the warcraft 3 community made out of the map creater. the original base game is just a regular (great) Strategy game but they made so many diffrent maps with compleate diffrent genres that it is really amazing. thats what i would like for WU and this mod would be really handy for "special maps" even when they are just short termed or singleplayer.

and this is not a request i just want to know what the community thinks about such a project and especially what our modders think about it.

Edited by Biervampyr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Biervampyr said:

you are thinking much bigger than me ;) so its a little bit diffrent what i thought about.

some minutes ago i talked with a friend of me to make a small map (1024) and the compleate map is just a maze of hedges. you just start with maybe a short sword and shield and some leather armour (nothing more and no tools!!!). than as you walk into the maze you start to kill mobs (spawned by mission) try to survive and find the exit. this mod would made distributian of dropped items much simpler. maybe with some traders in between for safe spots and to get better gear. this would mean take out the sandbox and make it more in a short story rpg ;) something like the warcraft 3 community made out of the map creater. the original base game is just a regular (great) Strategy game but they made so many diffrent maps with compleate diffrent genres that it is really amazing. thats what i would like for WU and this mod would be really handy for "special maps" even when they are just short termed or singleplayer.

and this is not a request i just want to know what the community thinks about such a project and especially what our modders think about it.

I'll scale it down and make two versions.     ;)

• Like 1

I have done some custom modifications to the bounty mod for my server already. I know it pretty well. The external tool ...

If you could make a tool like this that appropriately writes a properties file for the bounty mod, I could help you on the modding side to get the bounty mod updated to handle the drops.

If you can't make such a tool (I don't have time to do apps), it can be pretty easily explained how to work the properties file so that people could create drop tables for whatever creature they want (expanding on what is already there).

What would be helpful for this however, and for another mod I am working on it would be a handy thing for people that use it, is if someone would do the tedious task of going through the item templates and getting all the template id's for all the items and making a neatly organized list. Because what would need to be in the properties file is like Troll_Bounty=1000, 179, 24, 210, 30, 99 (where first number is coin, second number is first chance item, third number is second chance item, fourth number is third chance item, fifth number is lowest possible drop quality, last number is highest possible drop quality). This is based on quick thought, may need to have more for material or whatever, wouldn't have the full specs until I actually dug into it.

However it is possible, if enough people are interested it would be worth the time to work on. I would do it as a fork off Walker's to make sure he retained credit for the original mod creation, cause he did a lot of really good tedious time consuming work.

It may be possible too to have loot be on the corpse of the killed creature, I would have to do some tinkering and testing on that first. I am sure it is possible but not positive it is within my capabilities at this time.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 2

I have my bounty mod a bit busted out between the RMI port and the mod..as it sits today... 

I pulled in some help to package it up in a stand alone server mod and told them to release it to the public.  

One is a simple MOD that spawns creatures from lairs with loot drops on them generated from a .properties file you can configure.  They lairs are GM placed.  It then will spawn creatures of the lair type and then create items and enchantments on a percentage roll.   You have to use common sense on what enchantments go with what items.. IE rare fishing spot only goes on a pendulum.. etc..  when editing the .properties file.  (this is great for populating dungeons or event areas)

the 2nd is a NPC quest mod.     Example:  Get me x item or items and in return gives reward... karma, items / rewards are randomly generated like the bounty mod based on some math for the difficulty of the quest.  (its a pre defined scale)    The NPC will pick from a quest list from a .properties file.  

Thought it was a little easier than the mission editor and or if your running in creative mode.  NPC can also engage in custom dialog regarding the details of the quest (hints, clues)  

Keep an eye on MOD section for release.

Edited by razoreqx
  • Like 1

thats all a good idea, i would prefer the possibility to set all datas in a propertie file too, because i am not able to install any tool on citadele. 

:-)

1 hour ago, Eject said:

thats all a good idea, i would prefer the possibility to set all datas in a propertie file too, because i am not able to install any tool on citadele. 

:-)

Yea im not to familiar with hosting situations..   but I can certainly have the coder think about that. 

All I was thinking of is a GUI that saves a properties file, something a bit easier for less tech savy server admins to handle.

As mods get more complex so will the properties files, some of them will be frustrating for people that just want to use the mod and change a few things.

• Like 1

i am liking this item bounty mod idea, now i can add rift lairs on server and have them drop pauldrons!