Gaffer

Some Astronomical Observations

Recommended Posts

Astronomers of the University of Wurm at Release have published their findings pertaining to the periods of the moons of Wurm.  Full results can be found here, but in summary the periods are:

 

Name Period (Wurm Days)
Valrei 50
Seris 28
Jackal 80

 

I would like to hear about any other observations any of you have made.

 

Edited by Gaffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regrettably we do not have an unobstructed view to the West.  Consequently we have not attempted any precise Solar measurements yet.  Magnetic West seems to coincide exactly with the rotational pole, and from even casual observation cannot possibly vary from it much, but we haven't demonstrated it with a convincing measurement.  What we can say is that the mutual motions of Sol, Wurm, and its moons are not compatible with Newtonian physics.  But since Wogic rules all else Wurmian, we didn't expect them to be.

Edited by Gaffer
typed West for East

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newtonian physics need not apply. Although we do have what can be termed gravity that pulls us down to a less steep plane should we exceed the existing impositions, I find no evidence exhibited that these Wurm lands are anything other than a series of flat squarish shapes connected by void intervals. Any spheres within the sky that pass over it eventually rise and sink beyond these distant horizons of flattishness. Those then being the only real appearance of round worlds, they might just as well be flat circles turned sideways to fool the Wurmanites into believing that Newton might be munching his figs thinking otherwise.

 

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If y all want a clear view to study contact me on indy and come explore for a while. I offer the best 360 Unobstructed view in game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magaric said:

If y all want a clear view to study contact me on indy and come explore for a while. I offer the best 360 Unobstructed view in game

 

Where are you i would join this quest of enlightening us and others using a full view of the solar objects and their trajectories....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is worth noting that there are differences between the stable and unstable client currently with the positioning of the moons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once did a measurement for Seris and got exactly half of that (28) which is suspiscious. Did I miss a two somewhere? :lol: (this is good though, because I probably did, and that validates your result :))

 

Congratulations on your work! Had I not been lazy I would've done this a year ago (hence why I only produced a single dodgy measurement for Seris :p)

 

Curious that Unstable changes things. I really hope we get a better astronomical system someday, stuff like a proper skybox of stars. There should be a galaxy visible since it's medieval times and Wurm will have very little light pollution. Planets would be cool too... and yeah interestingly it does seem like Haven orbits Sol, every time I look for it it's right next to Sol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

I once did a measurement for Seris and got exactly half of that (28) which is suspiscious. Did I miss a two somewhere? :lol: (this is good though, because I probably did, and that validates your result :))

 

Congratulations on your work! Had I not been lazy I would've done this a year ago (hence why I only produced a single dodgy measurement for Seris :p)

 

Curious that Unstable changes things. I really hope we get a better astronomical system someday, stuff like a proper skybox of stars. There should be a galaxy visible since it's medieval times and Wurm will have very little light pollution. Planets would be cool too... and yeah interestingly it does seem like Haven orbits Sol, every time I look for it it's right next to Sol.

That's because Haven is a planet, and not a moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slickshot said:

That's because Haven is a planet, and not a moon.

 

I thought in the News it said it was a moon? Am I both unable to read and multiply by two? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No they DID say it is a moon, but that was by mistake.  I promise, it's intended to be a planet. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Docterchese, I found an archived screen shot that confirms the period of Seris to be 28 days instead of 56!  So the Wurm "month" is taken from the period of the moon Seris.  It is not at all impossible that I am missing observations that would allow a period of 25 days for Valrei.  I have edited the original post and the U of W at R page accordingly.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mysteries of Wurm astronomy are very deep.

Why does the sun both rise and settle in the west?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now