Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Wild server becoming premium only

Its pretty obvious this would be heavily praised and criticized at the same time, but the temptation of (ab)using alts on wild can be too much for many people. I somewhat liked the mystery of last wild... you had to go scout on a main, or maybe a premium alt. There was the feeling that the other side could be up to something and you wouldnt know about it. As MR this will not be a problem, since it is a premium-only kingdom anyway, but it could certainly fix many of the problems of wild. There are, of course, many legitimate non-premium players on wild that have absolutely no intent on abusing the system but there are some that do, which is a shame. What the non-premium mains must realise is how lucky you are to get so much of the game for free, I am not sure I can count on one hand the number of decent games that offer so much to free players. The people who would generally support this are the premium players. We pay to play this game and I am sorry but to OneTooFree AB, what is in our interests is much more valuable than what is in yours. It is a shame that OneTooFree AB had to resort to reverting wild to premium only, but in the long run I think it will greatly enhance gameplay on wild.

If you are a basic main and you love the wild server enough, I reccommend you pay to do it. If you can't pay for whatever reason, you can earn money on home server and use one of the various premium time sellers throughout wurm.

Its pretty obvious this would be heavily praised and criticized at the same time, but the temptation of (ab)using alts on wild can be too much for many people. I somewhat liked the mystery of last wild... you had to go scout on a main, or maybe a premium alt. There was the feeling that the other side could be up to something and you wouldnt know about it. As MR this will not be a problem, since it is a premium-only kingdom anyway, but it could certainly fix many of the problems of wild. There are, of course, many legitimate non-premium players on wild that have absolutely no intent on abusing the system but there are some that do, which is a shame. What the non-premium mains must realise is how lucky you are to get so much of the game for free, I am not sure I can count on one hand the number of decent games that offer so much to free players. The people who would generally support this are the premium players. We pay to play this game and I am sorry but to OneTooFree AB, what is in our interests is much more valuable than what is in yours. It is a shame that OneTooFree AB had to resort to reverting wild to premium only, but in the long run I think it will greatly enhance gameplay on wild.

If you are a basic main and you love the wild server enough, I reccommend you pay to do it. If you can't pay for whatever reason, you can earn money on home server and use one of the various premium time sellers throughout wurm.

GMs have punishment giving capabilities for a reason. Punishments should affect those who do the crime, not those who are completely innocent.

As you say, it's easy to earn enough ingame money for a premium account. I'm sure it won't take long for people to earn the few silvers in order to get a premium alt to be in the same situation as they're in now.

PvP in Wurm is nothing to pay for. They put caps or resources on Home just to force/lure people out to Wild in order to get enough players for a "war".

thats your veiw many enjoy it, wading through tons of non prem chars is only fun for so long then it get anoying, 1) the lack of risk knowing they will never be able to take you out 2) poor loot

i dont see how non prems were brining more "good" action to wil and i doubt the numbers will drop that much, maybe on jk side, if they like wild so much they should pay the 10 euros every 2 months, not like they were of any use on wild anyway other than cannon fodder.

The more players joining Wild, the more players will continue to join, which leads to more more people getting prem because they notice  how weak they are.

Even if non-prems can't kill a prem, they still play a part. And how the heck does it matter if you are risking to be killed or not? You still have a handful of premiums to go to war with if you think basics are not worth your attention.

Also, how exactly are non-prems gonna see if they like Wild if it's prem only? You'd like to get a good look into how PvP in the game works, if you're moving to Wild for the sake of PvP.

Also, like Kalinium said; Every new player is non-prem in the beginning, so this decision affects every new future premium player.

GMs have punishment giving capabilities for a reason. Punishments should affect those who do the crime, not those who are completely innocent.

As you say, it's easy to earn enough ingame money for a premium account. I'm sure it won't take long for people to earn the few silvers in order to get a premium alt to be in the same situation as they're in now.

Only for those that are serious about it. Its much harder to make 10s and find a prem seller than just register a free account (which takes ~3 minutes)

Only for those that are serious about it. Its much harder to make 10s and find a prem seller than just register a free account (which takes ~3 minutes)

I'm pretty sure Kyara or LO or whoever could get 10s together in about an hour at most if they really needed a spy alt.

Well said.

I'm pretty sure Kyara or LO or whoever could get 10s together in about an hour at most if they really needed a spy alt.

It is still a PREMIUM spy alt though. The argument is around BASIC spy alts. Premium spy alts are 100% legal.

It is still a PREMIUM spy alt though. The argument is around BASIC spy alts. Premium spy alts are 100% legal.

This doesn't resolve the issue though? Isn't the problem still spying? Can't the GMs just ban the nonprem alts?

This doesn't resolve the issue though? Isn't the problem still spying? Can't the GMs just ban the nonprem alts?

No, the problem is not only spying. The problem is alt abuse(spying is not considered that at the moment). Quite simply, using a free account to gain an advantage for your main that you would not be able to get via normal gameplay.

well thats the plan  ;D

So why don't the GMs just ban people for doing it?

they did waste their time on that, but the ratio is something like 1GM for 20players if not more. things working automaticly here fitts better

well thats the plan  ;D

No, the plan is to blanket ban. They're banning everyone from wild to save themselves working out who is an alt and who isn't.

No, the problem is not only spying. The problem is alt abuse(spying is not considered that at the moment). Quite simply, using a free account to gain an advantage for your main that you would not be able to get via normal gameplay.

They do.

Which brings up another problem. The rules are very unclear. Gavin, a long-ish standing premium player did something on a non premium alt which he apparently did not know was against the rules, and had his last strike from that. Madt, similarly to gavin, did something he did not think was illegal. If non premiums were not allowed on wild, we would not have these problems, and there would not be as many pointless bans of loyal premium players who contribute to the game.

well thats the plan  ;D

No, the plan is to blanket ban. They're banning everyone from wild to save themselves working out who is an alt and who isn't.

Yes, thats the problem, it takes time tell if an alt is used for abuse. to ban alts that are used for abuse. to document the alts. (yes, they have to document things, they don't just press a big red 'bannerate' button. GMs can only be expected to do so much. You got a better solution for it? Or are you suggesting that OneTwoFree forks out money on a different way to stop this basic alt abuse so that a few *free players* can keep playing on wild?

Because some people just have too much time on their hands to get a bunch of new emails and change their ip just to make a new character that not only clearly sounds like an alt, but also acts like one.

Now i don't want to be the GM who has to go through all the fun of finding the corresponding main by accident, somewhere deep inside the server history, if they can be linked at all.

well thats the plan  ;D

and whats you damn problem with that?? they are taking care of some stupid alt abuser instead of others who a REALLY doing something bad.

as far as i know trolling is baneble. and as far as i know thats the things you are doing now. want to get some attention? go naked for love parade. here you are just a temporial entertaiment

Trolling: An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion. (Wikipedia)

As far as I see, I've been trying to put forward points relevant to the discussion and you've been calling me a buttworm. Who's the troll.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. Let's stick to the topic now.

and whats you damn problem with that

My issue is that a large portion of my village are non premium who are considering going premium, and will no longer be able to try the game out as they have been.

My issue is that 100% of my village were once non premium and would never have gone premium if they had not been able to join our village on wild.

that are taking care of some stupid alt abuser instead of others who a REALLY doing something bad.

I don't understand this.

and whats the topic for you? aside from your "boohoo"?

I don't understand this.

thats your problem...?

Keep free accounts on wild. Lay out better rules, written in stone and start banning people who violate rules on premium or non premium accounts. (see: mol-rehan)

Also give Gavin another chance.

Also give Gavin another chance.

bahahahahahahahahahaha

well thats the plan  ;D

GMs aren't paid.

What do you expect? Spending all their free time on finding out who is who?

Especially when there are ppl who don't have a static IP, kick off your router, go spy, kick off your router again, log your main on.

You sound quite ridiculous.

As if half the player base is non prem.

Don't forget, non prems can play the game FOREVER, without paying.

It's not a right to be on wild, if you don't pay for the server, like prems do.

Especially when there are ppl who don't have a static IP, kick off your router, go spy, kick off your router again, log your main on.

You seem to know alot about there, any reason why?

How futile.

Come on, what Balmore said is just common knowlege.

GMs aren't paid.

What do you expect? Spending all their free time on finding out who is who?

Moderators on Facepunch aren't paid, heck, even the lead admin isn't really paid for what he does. Yet on Facepunch you can report a user and, guarenteed, within an hour (at the VERY) most a mod will have checked over the post and punished as appropriate.

As if half the player base is non prem.

Don't forget, non prems can play the game FOREVER, without paying.

It's not a right to be on wild, if you don't pay for the server, like prems do.

You're acting like every 10 seconds someone else is a spy.

Don't forget that non premium players are a part of the experience for the premium players too. This is an MMO, every player affects every other. Just because they're not financially supporting Wurm (yet) doesn't mean they won't in the future and aren't making the game more enjoyable for others

and whats the topic for you? aside from your "boohoo"?

I don't understand this.

thats your problem...?

My "boohoo" is an attempt to put forward my points.

I don't understand the way you've phrased it. It physically does not make sense. Could you please rewrite it and keep your insults to yourself? Thanks.

Now start to think.

Why should I use alts to spy?

Me and Taya are running around in JK territory whenever we want. Have we ever been killed doing that? hmm... No!

Don't have the need to go around on JK alts.  8)

As well as Wossoo said... Who doesn't know this?

And if you get kicked off every 24h (after you started router last time), like it happens to me.. You know about this. ;)