Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Going on a treasure hunt!

One time use per premium players wouldn't be that much of an abuse, seeing we already had rewards for the alts, or could run alts on others hunts (but not claim many times the grand reward), that said Deliverance found 2 chests in that time, with one broken (and apparently still broken).

And what will prevent the same players from roaming around the servers to find more of those chests, if they are gone / appearing again. The new system seems even more unbalanced.

Loving Wurm is hard these days. :(

• Like 4

If we are to receive moonmetals, I would much rather see the developers using the Loyalty Bonus Programme. That's a much fairer way to distribute stuff.

I'm going back to Xanadu to do some daily chores. I don't feel inclined to take part of this waste of time.

Edited by Firestarter
Moderation Edit.
  • Like 7

[09:17:17] <Retrograde> Unfortunately due to a few too many carts of alts, we've modified the treasure hunting to now delete the chests upon opening
[09:18:04] <Retrograde> that said, we'll be replacing them daily in different locations

Just make them give an item(s) the first time each character opens them. Make it prem. only to rule out alt abuse.

Searching even the small servers for 7 items, with no clues, that's what 1 item per 9km2, even if a large proportion of that is ruled out by being water, deeds, or impossibly steep, that would be a large area to search for each item. Then having them be deleted when opened and reappear elsewhere, you can't assume that there is not a chest an area you have already searched.

So, this is now not an event that could bring the communities, and any visitors, together on these serves but one of pure luck of being in the right place and spotting one before anybody else. If there are others in the area, getting to it just a second too late and nothing!

Did think about visiting one of the servers I played on in the past, but think I'll go do something more constructive instead and wait for the main event. :angry:

• Like 3

Just now, Odynn said:

One time use per premium players wouldn't be that much of an abuse, seeing we already had rewards for the alts, or could run alts on others hunts (but not claim many times the grand reward), that said Deliverance found 2 chests in that time, with one broken (and apparently still broken).

And what will prevent the same players from roaming around the servers to find more of those chests, if they are gone / appearing again. The new system seems even more unbalanced.

Unfortunately premium only is not an option at the moment, as we're using our existing tools.

Main event is at 16:00 UTC+2, the confusion came from me not understanding timezones

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Main event is at 16:00 UTC+2, the confusion came from me not understanding timezones

That is totally understandable - the convention is, as any sysadmin will tell you, is that server time is UTC. This make life so much easier, as you only have to do the timezone, is it summertime, thing once. This is also further confused as the twitter accounts are using a different timezone - so using the times reported in a server's twitter stream can also be problematic.

If I understand it correctly, server time is Swedish local time - so currently is CEST (being summertime), and CET in the winter. This of course could still confuse as not all parts of the world change between summer/winter time at the same time, or even change time between summer/winter. But at least is relatively easy to solve with the use of a world clock app, or website.

Servers are in Germany but that is same timezone as Sweden.

5 hours ago, Bittereinder said:

If we are to receive moonmetals, I would much rather see the developers using the Loyalty Bonus Programme. That's a much fairer way to distribute stuff.

I'm going back to Xanadu to do some daily chores. I don't feel inclined to take part of this waste of time.

I disagree.  The Loyalty Bonus Programme timers are broken.  It calculated a few of us at 31 months ongoing premium and others who had the exact same start date, at 33 months.  Some of us got supreme knapsacks after being premium continuously for over 5 years, some of us got fantastic knapsacks for being just two years.  I got my spyglass months after others got theirs, yet I have been premium for the same amount of time.  No, unless they actually rework and fix the timers, this is not a much fairer way to distribute rewards either.

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Given how quickly the majority managed to be found on most severs it seemed it was a little unbalanced. The original intention was for them to be fairly hard to find, without being impossible. Them being found within 12 hours became an easily abused situation, which of course needed to be fixed.

They should reappear every couple of hours, unless you find all 7 within that short time frame, you'll have a reason to be looking for them

14 more sleep powders is not a reason to look for moving chests, 4 of which I have already used with no idea if I just found a used one. Sorry, I will stop at 4 chests on my premiums and 7 sleep powders.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

If someone is willing to search for hours on end on a server to find a loot chest than more power to them. could easily make it so the chest wont open until you get a total of lets say 30 players trying to open at the same time. then the chest will give one random loot to all local then disappear. it promotes server participation and stops a few players from monopolizing. makes for a more exciting treasure hunt and makes it better than finding one location and then the whole server knows about it without having to put in time.

Honestly i like the idea and wish it was done more often.

people not abusing alts in this game, seriously thought that?

half a day looking for - nothing found - three times because lag died - had fun :huh:

I miss wurm with less bugs and lags like years ago ....

7 hours ago, Audrel said:

14 more sleep powders is not a reason to look for moving chests, 4 of which I have already used with no idea if I just found a used one. Sorry, I will stop at 4 chests on my premiums and 7 sleep powders.

ok
nobody was forcing you to do this event anyways

I'd love free SP, don't have the time for it atm.
Would be nice to work on my leatherworking / shieldsmithing while I hunted for free rewards

instead I'll read the posts of players who seem entitled to high end rewards

2 minutes ago, UnknownOrganism said:

ok
nobody was forcing you to do this event anyways

I'd love free SP, don't have the time for it atm.
Would be nice to work on my leatherworking / shieldsmithing while I hunted for free rewards

instead I'll read the posts of players who seem entitled to high end rewards

I'm not entitled to a damn thing. I'm just not going to search 4,194,304 tiles for a box that you can't tell from a random large chest, has given only sleep powder, and moves to a random spot again every time someone opens it. You can only open each one once. So in that 4 million tiles, you have the chance of finding the one you just opened and it will be empty. The more you find, the more your chances of finding one you opened. 

So yeah, it's not worth it for a sleep powder on the most epic wild goose chase in history. Maybe do the math before you get all snitty.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Audrel said:

I'm not entitled to a damn thing. I'm just not going to search 4,194,304 tiles for a box that you can't tell from a random large chest, has given only sleep powder, and moves to a random spot again every time someone opens it. You can only open each one once. So in that 4 million tiles, you have the chance of finding the one you just opened and it will be empty. The more you find, the more your chances of finding one you opened. 

So yeah, it's not worth it for a sleep powder on the most epic wild goose chase in history. Maybe do the math before you get all snitty.

i said you'd see that i would be grinding shieldsmithing or leatherworking while i was looking, so it would be noskillloss

Edited by UnknownOrganism

1 minute ago, UnknownOrganism said:

i said you'd see that i would be grinding shieldsmithing or leatherworking while i was looking, so it would be noskillloss

You should have left the entitled off. I didn't say we didn't have fun. 15 of us went. I can't mine or build my boats while searching.

Was another fun Wurm Idea that looks like it was thought about for 5 minutes before being implemented. A community event where servers were working together that turned into every man for himself, and is now for the hardcores. Could it be added that if you've already found the chest that it doesn't disappear, but you still get nothing?

Edited by Pride
  • Like 4

Sign in to follow this