Sign in to follow this  
Stinky

Laptop for Wurm or tablet

Hello guys and girls,

i'm about to buy either laptop or tablet just for purpose for Wurm. I would like something quiet and be able to run two clients on medium high or high settings. Im not so sure about the tablet tho.
About the laptop - MSI GT72, not so sure about this one. It costs over 1200 pounds and looks like overpowered for Wurm but who knows. Better suggestions? Must be more silent.

About the tablet - Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet - quite small screen for Wurm but the projector would compensate this.

or                         Microsoft Surface Pro 4

All of them cost about the same. 1200 pounds ish. Now i dont know. On one hand i dont want to spend that much money but if its worth im willing to spend that. I want to occassionaly play Wurm but watch movies and have something more portable as well. Lenovo tab seems as the best solution but ive had Lenovo yoga tab 3 pro lately and wasnt very happy with the lenovo software. Except the projector the tablet is completely useless even if you root it or unencrypt data or whatever the "solutions" are for this one.

Suggestions? Suggestions? Suggestions?

Thank you. Stinky

I can speak for the Surface Pro 4.  I have the i5 processor with 4BG of ram Windows 10 Pro.  While I can run the game, it has the Intel graphics chip so it doesn't look pretty.  It will run, but things like ground textures do not look right.  Also the Surface does a kind of automatic screen magnification which makes the menus look a bit off.  I have not tried to run more than one client on it, because of the graphics.  Below are are a couple of snips showing what I mean about the menus.  Later I'll take a snip of the ground when I'm able to log in.

Spoiler

u7cc7tz.png

Spoiler

KHU27hz.png

Lenovo won't be any better than. Looks like MSI will be the solution. Or maybe something a bit more cheaper. Thanks for reply Dorian.

I got the MSI GT72 dominator pro and i like it very much and i dont have any problem to run 3 clients at one time with good grafic when im playing wurm, but it might be a bit over powered for just playing wurm

• Like 1

How about the noise Ferddy? And have you had any other good laptops which run Wurm smoothly with several accounts on better graphics?

Its my first laptop i play multiply accounts on, used a stationary befour. I dont have any problems with the noise from the fans becouse it got 3 fans and they dont start all at once, they just start one after another based on how hot the laptop gets.

• Like 1

don't be afraid of being overpowered.  Wurm requires a lot less than most games, so if you ever venture out to play something else and you only buy enough power for Wurm, you will be very unhappy.

Always make sure you have a dedicated graphics processor in your machine, which most tablets do not.  If you are stuck with Intel Integrated graphics, most games will either barely run or have bad graphics glitches like Wurm does.

the MSI GT72  is VR ready, so its a awesome laptop if you ever plan on getting into VR , its also 17.3 inches which is massive, not something youll be wanting to carry around everywhere., compared to the surface pro.

i have dell xps 15 with a 960m in it and youll definately notice the fans spin up to cool things off with gaming laptops in general.

i recommend viewing a few reviews on whichever laptop you are serious about ordering

if you dont need VR capable, then what your looking for is a nice CPU and RAM to run multiple wurm clients and something as low as a 700m series

wurm does not like 4k displays or intel integrated graphics, so keep that in mind.

17 inch screens and battery life do not go together, so they are mainly mobile desktops at best so keep that in mind if your thinking about using it for mobile things

2 minutes ago, Aum said:

the MSI GT72  is VR ready, so its a awesome laptop if you ever plan on getting into VR , its also 17.3 inches which is massive, not something youll be wanting to carry around everywhere., compared to the surface pro.

i have dell xps 15 with a 960m in it and youll definately notice the fans spin up to cool things off with gaming laptops in general.

i recommend viewing a few reviews on whichever laptop you are serious about ordering

if you dont need VR capable, then what your looking for is a nice CPU and RAM to run multiple wurm clients and something as low as a 700m series

wurm does not like 4k displays or intel integrated graphics, so keep that in mind.

17 inch screens and battery life do not go together, so they are mainly mobile desktops at best so keep that in mind if your thinking about using it for mobile things

Yeah i know that thanks. I would use a laptop as stationary PC, but i need to be able move it quicker than the regular PC if comes to that. I was thinking about the samller portable PC's but you still need a screen, keyboard and mouse. 17 inch laptop might do better than that.
I viewied some reviews of the MSI laptop and few people i know they have it recommended it to me.
Thanks for replies. Looks like i will go for the MSI afterall.

Go with the laptop because tablets aren't made for high end gaming.

I used to have a Surface before I sold it because it got very hot playing some simple games.

Edited by Brunwulf

Take a look at Asus laptops. They are higher end gaming laptops and are very quiet.

Have an asus n56jr, costed me around 700€ 2 years ago, added ram so have 16 gb of ram. Have ran 6+ clients with it wothout any lag or anything. Asus laptops tend to break down(2 times of motherboard changes for me in 2 years ) so be warned about that. Otherwise look for laptop with deticated graphic card for playing to addition of the intel hd card as that really messes up the graphics.

Edited by Wulfgarr

never had an asus break down, but that could be random :P. 2nd laptop in 7 years. only had to replace the last because of age only.

Yeah. I like Asus brand. I have even Asus phone (waiting for Asus Zenfone 3 to be released). I have a laptop which lasted for good 9 years now and cleaned it only once (i know i know...) Also was repaired only once. Im on it now. Its old and im not able to play Wurm on it unless i want to play with 16 fps.
The MSI laptop i mentioned is pretty good and you can compare it to the high end Alieware high end laptops which are more expensive. For the future i pick that MSI one. Who knows what happens to Wum.
In before i was playing Wurm on my laptop (like 6 or more years ago) with two clients in full screen but now its impossible.

Edited by Stinky

Personally, I went with a high-end Lenovo laptop, which happily runs several clients simultaneously.  The absolute key, as others have already said, is to get something with an actual graphics chip, not just the integrated graphics.  Wurm doesn't like integrated graphics (particularly Intel series), and I believe a lot of other games don't either.  Also, get as much RAM as you can.

• Like 1

hi folks, I am looking to buy a new laptop for Wurm use. Since this thread was from 2016, just wondered if anyone has any more recent experience on what works best for the Lands of Wurm. Any advice would be much appreciated!

4 minutes ago, solmark said:

hi folks, I am looking to buy a new laptop for Wurm use. Since this thread was from 2016, just wondered if anyone has any more recent experience on what works best for the Lands of Wurm. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Well I assure you the game hasnt changed that much since 2016 that the discussion above is no longer relevant. Just follow the advice given above - get newer gen stuff and bam, you're good to go, happy wurming.

• Like 1

You probably want to get something with a real graphics chip, rather than the usual on-chip ones.  In addition to the obvious, wurm really doesn't like Intel graphics.  Be warned, you will pay a premium for this.  Also, as much RAM as you can afford.

• Like 2