Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly news #24 Events and Evaluations

header.png

It's been a quiet week as we gather ourselves after Rifts and the anniversary, some events unfortunately couldn't get their issues resolved, but others are ready to go, But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Patch Notes 17 June 2016

June 17, 2016
  • Added a message to /rift to give an approximate time of the Rift opening if it is not already open.
  • Source crystals can no longer be mined from veins. This is to prevent excess crystals being mined in a short timeframe.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed a few capitalization issues.
  • Bugfix:  Rift loot will no longer be required for missions.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed a bug where higher nutrition was not properly giving the healing bonus to wounds.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed a bug with Village Healing bonus which could have increased damage instead of heal damage.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed a bug with the dirt spell sometimes giving 7 dirt.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed an issue with planning/building an inner wall in a cave dwelling if there was a wall or fence on the same tile border above ground.
  • Bugfix:  Tools should no longer take massive damage when destroying unfinished fences.
  • Bugfix: Fixed adamantine weapon bonus to actually be +10%.
  • Bugfix:  Fix for randomized tunnel height calculations so that the distribution is now symmetrical.
  • Bugfix: Possible fix for lost items when mailing across servers.

The Grand Tour (of Independence)

This months anniversary hunt is a tour of some of the old great works of Independence, some made by many, some by one or two, each has their own story, and you get to see some of the oldest!

This event will be a little different to Spellcasts brain teasers, and Enkis murder fests. This will be utilising a new human NPC for giving out the missions, and follow a more quest chain style, as part of testing for the tutorial system, so if you haven't gone to any before, or are worried about corpse runs, come and check it out!

The event starts on Sunday at 12pm UTC+1 at the Howl.

There are some other events planned, but will have less warning, to ensure that they aren't taken advantage of too soon, but are planned for most servers (Xanadu may take more planning but we will work on it!)

Starter deed upgrades

The work on the starter deeds has begun, with some amazing changes coming through, we'll cover these once they're finished and a chat with the workers!.

New client work continues

We continue to update the unstable client as bug reports come in, if you experience a bug, please ensure to include the build number, found at the bottom left corner of the launcher:

build.png

When we update the build number, test again to see if the bug is still present and let us know!

Steam updates

The 1.0.0.7 Wurm Unlimited update will go live next week, we will update the #wurmunlimited topic on IRC with the date when decided.

Community Content

Factional fight returns! this week saw the return of Factional Fight videos, the well loved streams of wurm, with a podcast style discussion. This week had some interesting ideas, what do you think of their returning player suggestions?

That's it for this week! Hope to see some of you at the events, and as always, keep on wurming!

Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 8

For those of us that do not watch streams of wurm.  You might want to tell us what their suggestion was to get our feedback on it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

For those of us that do not watch streams of wurm.  You might want to tell us what their suggestion was to get our feedback on it.

Euhm... they uploaded to youtube, just click the video Retro posted

• Like 1

The video is an hour and 13 minutes long.  I really don't want to listen to someone flap their jaws for that long, so feel free to summarize.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The event starts at 12pm UTC+1 at the Howl.

Tomorrow?

Edit: Thank you for adding Sunday. Will try to be there, but it's also Father's day here so we'll see!

Edited by Chimerical

1 hour ago, Pashka said:

Hehe, I've always wanted to say that.  No i never watch streams or even youtube videos of wurm. I never listen to the soundtrack, And i have the music turned off. I spend all of my time playing the game, And watching movies on a second computer.  And i have no idea what a factional fight is.

On another note, I hope you guys are putting some serious time into the quest system. This has been lacking in wurm since the beginning.  I will be there to test it on sunday.

They had a list of changes i'll recite the couple i remember.. 

-have returning players keep they're earned levels but do not advance these levels till they go back to the paying model.. to eradicate the problem of having high body strength thuis high equipment weight but returning to find you have max 20 body strength..

-makes it so you can at least lead horses up stairs or even better drive a cart up stairs as they had to accommodate a bridge into building design so they could bring carts to ever rising floors or wagons or horses conveniently...

-another player returning model included various concepts on keeping charcteristics but losing level until premium was played and other such variations..

thats about where they said it was a podcast, i said to myself i dont really like podcasts and lost a bit of interest.. don;'t get me wrong like their vids just not sure about the new format...

maybe somebody else can fill in some more ideas they had..     take it away ..

51 minutes ago, Nightbreed said:

Hehe, I've always wanted to say that.  No i never watch streams or even youtube videos of wurm. I never listen to the soundtrack, And i have the music turned off. I spend all of my time playing the game, And watching movies on a second computer.  And i have no idea what a factional fight is.

On another note, I hope you guys are putting some serious time into the quest system. This has been lacking in wurm since the beginning.  I will be there to test it on sunday.

Oh and on another note.. my biggest love of Wurm is that the world is created by the people who live in it.. and i hope these "quests" are not gonna be quests where proud \wurmians become little more than underpaid couriers for disresputable peeps.... this is Wurm.. we as the players should be given tools so we too can create quests. that would continue the theme of a player made world like our quests do now.,. they use player built places as targets at least.. not to step on any toes..     nothings against the devs.. the same reason Wurm doesnt have d.l-able content .. .. but ill be there Sunday in hopes of a crowd showing up .. and as the famous Rolf-god once said.. "Strange things might happen...." and if we don't have a tutorial to catch these new 10 minute players and keep em.. we may be stuck keeping each other company.. and if those new players don't klnow what to do strange things DO happen...

Edited by Psalamon

While I'm not sure on the others, I do know that on the first one.  If I can keep the levels earned and still operate at that level, there are some characters that I'll never have to prem again.  That is a very big losing spot for Rolf.  I have at least two prem'd at the moment that I only prem up when I need their skills.

• Like 1

Meditation path switched was promised weeks ago and should have been live weeks ago too. 

Pls

• Like 4

Can we get any info on new cloth items, please? The last time we got a picture was like 15 months ago! Seriously. I have been asking this for quite some time now, but never got any kind of response.

• Like 2

Welcome back to the game FF guys! I think we were all going through massive withdrawal when we weren't getting new FF videos! We all look forward to them so much! As for how to solve the "coming back" problem that they discuss in the video, I do agree that the stats idea is a great one. It makes sense immersion-wise as well. If you've worked your butt off in the game, your brain will be sharper and your body will be stronger, however you might have forgotten "how" to do things. Giving something like 24 hrs premium game time would also be good. As for losing your deed, how about logging on to find a 1) treasure map in your backpack that when "used" opens a zoomed in location of the map with a pin on it 2) a newbie shovel 3) a newbie rope for catching a mount. By going to that location, you get a message of a buried stash being near. It could work like water divining, but with a much larger tile area to use. Upon finding the target area (sized around 10x10 tiles) you could use the shovel to "unearth your lost belongings" and you could dig up a stash chest of things you had in your deed, perhaps some enchanted tools, or some raw materials salvaged from the ruins. You could carry this chest for the next 24 hrs of gameplay without cost to weight and as long as the items were kept "packed" in the chest, also without cost to inventory size restrictions. This would give you enough time to find a new place to settle and you'd have some tools and raw materials to get freshly started.

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2

Good to see quests are being worked on and added. Wurm really needs this sort of entertainment. For new and veterans alike.

• Like 1

Since this is a wurm wide event will there be a portal to The Howl in starter towns?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Source crystals can no longer be mined from veins.

So only from rock tiles then?

• Like 1

good updates on the addy damage and unfinished fences bug, thanks!

This will be utilising a new human NPC for giving out the missions,

Yes please again.

This would be an awesome addition to the regular game.  If people were to travel to different areas of the servers and find the NPC to do missions and get some small but nice rewards.

• Like 1

Retro ; "There are some other events planned, but will have less warning, to ensure that they aren't taken advantage of too soon, but are planned for most servers (Xanadu may take more planning but we will work on it!) "

Going to say no to the cross server teleport to Indy since the plan is for most of the servers to have something going on this weekend.

7 hours ago, Psalamon said:

-makes it so you can at least lead horses up stairs or even better drive a cart up stairs as they had to accommodate a bridge into building design so they could bring carts to ever rising floors or wagons or horses conveniently...

you already can lead horses upstairs and you can using a ladder opening haul a cart up the levels loaded as well as the embark from an upper or lower floor to drag the cart/wagon up or down a floor (admittedly maybe a bug and not wise in small buildings).

I have a building with ladders I use as a haul up "elevator" to my farm which is behind my deed and level with the 4th floor and a series of stairs leading up there too  I have been leading horses up to the top since the stairs were added, what I would say is the model of the horses don't always follow the floor and often stay on the ground floor even hitched to a cart on the upper floors till I cross the bridge I have at the top to access the farm area at which point the model walks up the slope and onto the bridge. So practically it works but visually it needs work.

Edited by Lordterrabyte
typo fix

Just to clarify, the NPC will not be for adding quests into the main game, but for the tutorial and helping players learn and adjust to wurm, improving a more structured tutorial option for those who like a bit more guidance before being let loose in wurm.

And cross server teleports are not an option, but most servers should see some form of event, if not all at once, over the duration of the following week, time allowing

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lordterrabyte said:

you already can lead horses upstairs and you can using a ladder opening haul a cart up the levels loaded as well as the embark from an upper or lower floor to drag the cart/wagon up or down a floor (admittedly maybe a bug and not wise in small buildings).

I have a building with ladders I use as a haul up "elevator" to my farm which is behind my deed and level with the 4th floor and a series of stairs leading up there too  I have been leading horses up to the top since the stairs were added, what I would say is the model of the horses don't always follow the floor and often stay on the ground floor even hitched to a cart on the upper floors till I cross the bridge I have at the top to access the farm area at which point the model walks up the slope and onto the bridge. So practically it works but visually it needs work.

Yes, but...  Work this out.  You have to open the cart, offload, disembark the cart, click the ladder, climb up, find and activate your rope, find and right click the offloaded crate, click to haul up, (do this several times if more than one crate involved), then find and click the cart to haul up, then embark the cart (cause you can't load stuff onto a cart without actually being on it as the commander), find each crate, load each crate, disembark the cart, pull it to where you need to use the stuff....

How many clicks is that?  Carpal tunnel syndrome, anyone?

(The same can be said about not being able to harvest or gather sprouts from a cart, yet you are able to pave from one?  But that is another gripe for another thread.)

I think all changes should be looked at in relation to the amount of mouse clicks it removes instead of the amount of mouse clicks it adds.  More mouse clicks = bad update.

Hauling is tedious, and if you develop carpal tunnel, it is even dangerous! We would like to ride our cart straight up the stairs instead.

Also, please fix carts and wagons NOT following terrain.  Riding with your cart parallel to water at all slopes is irritating.  Seeing as they could follow terrain before, what is the problem here?

The tours around servers is a great idea, I always wanted to visit the sights on other servers, to see what others do in Wurm.  The creativity always amazes me.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

Hauling is tedious

Also, please fix carts and wagons NOT following terrain.  Riding with your cart parallel to water at all slopes is irritating.  Seeing as they could follow terrain before, what is the problem here?

Indeed.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

That's not just simply a bug, but an issue with cart and wagon movement as a whole. It was reverted to this as there were certain exploitable situations from it, and will remain so until those are resolved.

• Like 1