I was skilling my pottery & weapon smithing at the same time and thought "It would be cool if we could make ceramic knives". Not sure if a ceramic carving knife is very realistic, but I'm sure a ceramic butchering knife would make sense. Figured I'd throw it out there and see what the rest of you think.

Err...no?

For one, a clay/pottery knife would be terrible at just about everything.

A real ceramic knife is made of zirconium dioxide, I'm pretty sure that falls beyond the technological scope of what Wurm is aiming for. Not only that but ceramic knifes are very limited in their practical application. Good for slicing deboned meat or vegetables but terrible at anything that involves possible contact with a hard surface. Using one as a weapon would be right out of what it could handle.

While I like the creativity of the idea; blades would serve little good.  But I would love to see some crude Grenades that are pots/flask with a cloth tied with a bowstring to secure.  Fill with olive oil and tar to make a flaming missile that strikes a tile or creature and can set them on fire.  Maybe even usable against ships?  The burn time is related to damage ticks and quality of its fuel ranges into how long it burns.

Yeah, "ceramic" knives are hardly made out of the kind of earthenware/stoneware we would see in Wurm.

Ok, so clearly I didn't know how ceramic knives were made (figured they weren't very different than the ceramics what were once used). But as to functionality, this link

18 hours ago, Namekat said:

clearly demonstrates that a ceramic carving knife might actually work.

All in all, guess this idea should be scrapped.