Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Is there a logical reason why we don't have animal management on pvp servers?

Instant untame would be cool... Though would make some artifacts a little less useful :D

Edited by Redd

18 minutes ago, Redd said:

Though would make some artifacts a little less useful :D

Oh... yeah we can't have that.

Perhaps we can fix all the problems pretty pretty quickly while still allowing this really nice feature to be utilized on PvP.

Allow management of animals on PvP: (behaviours/ManageMenu.java; 139-143)

if (action == 663 && !Servers.isThisAPvpServer()) {
            ManageObjectList mol = new ManageObjectList(performer, ManageObjectList.Type.ANIMAL1);
            mol.sendQuestion();
            return true;
        }

Remove locating animals from the menu: (questions/ManageObjectList.java; 295-312)

} else {

if(Servers.localServer.PVPSERVER){

this.player.getCommunicator().sendNormalServerMessage("You may not locate animals on PvP servers.");

}else{
                try {
                    Creature creature = Creatures.getInstance().getCreature(selId);
                    int centerx = creature.getTileX();
                    int centery = creature.getTileY();
                    int dx = Math.abs(centerx - this.player.getTileX());
                    int dy = Math.abs(centery - this.player.getTileY());
                    int mindist = (int)Math.sqrt(dx * dx + dy * dy);
                    int dir = MethodsCreatures.getDir(this.player, centerx, centery);
                    String direction = MethodsCreatures.getLocationStringFor(this.player.getStatus().getRotation(), dir, "you");
                    String toReturn = EndGameItems.getDistanceString(mindist, creature.getName(), direction, false);
                    this.player.getCommunicator().sendNormalServerMessage(toReturn);
                }
                catch (NoSuchCreatureException nsce) {
                    this.player.getCommunicator().sendNormalServerMessage("Cannot find animal, it was here a minute ago!");
                    logger.log(Level.WARNING, "Cannot find animal, it was here a minute ago! Id:" + selId, (Throwable)((Object)nsce));
                }

}
            }

Add a warning message at the top of the question for players on PvP servers: (questions/ManageObjectList.java; 511-515)

} else if (this.objectType == Type.ANIMAL0 || this.objectType == Type.ANIMAL1 || this.objectType == Type.ANIMAL2) {

if(Servers.localServer.PVPSERVER){

buf.append("text{text=\"WARNING: Permissions do not protect your animals against lawless or enemy players on PvP servers!\"}");

}
            buf.append(this.makeAnimalList());
            extraButton = ";label{text=\"  \"};button{text=\"Give direction to\";id=\"find\"}";
            width = 550;
        }

A rather quick and dirty approach, but I think it hits all the bases.

Edited by Sindusk

Why remove locate animal?

If someone nicked my horse when I was not looking, and I can track them down that is PvP content right there. ;)

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Why remove locate animal?

If someone nicked my horse when I was not looking, and I can track them down that is PvP content right there. ;)

Think we might have to let this one slide :P

Why remove the locate feature?  In skimming through this thread I must have missed the part where this was game breaking on Chaos.

Champ... <_<

I dunno, tbh it's not like it's hard for your enemy to re-brand a horse so you can't locate it if they've taken it. I don't really see any logical reason why it's soterrible.

Same goes for removing the gear though, the example Gary gave is 100% possible right now, can and does happen and the ONLY difference is being able to pick up the horses gear which people already do when on tamed horses atm. It all feels like minor issues that don't really affect pvp and could work fine.

10 hours ago, Nadroj said:

I dunno, tbh it's not like it's hard for your enemy to re-brand a horse so you can't locate it if they've taken it. I don't really see any logical reason why it's soterrible.

Same goes for removing the gear though, the example Gary gave is 100% possible right now, can and does happen and the ONLY difference is being able to pick up the horses gear which people already do when on tamed horses atm. It all feels like minor issues that don't really affect pvp and could work fine.

The thing is having a tame horse to take gear off to maybe save it means you sacrifice an extra pet to do so.  Not with branded allowing untame horses to be equipped.  It gives the speed of a hh, the advantage of a good pet, and the advantage of saving your gear (since you can't loot it on epic if enemy too close, and on chaos someone else might swipe it).  It's the best of every world and not very balanced

Perhaps not very balanced, there i agree. But does it actually do anything to affect pvp negatively if it was added to the server? Not really. It affects potential loot negatively thats all.

Could always implement it, see if it works, and if it doesn't, change it.

On 6/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, MrGARY said:

well only really need the untame/care things

locate is bad and so is branded horses being able to have gear taken off/on.  imagine a branded hell horse not tamed by a fo/nathan priest dragging a champ croc or a worg and able to take gear off to save it wihtout taming or put on/off a barding without taming

you cant brand a hell horse MrGary..

so your point is blah!.. at least i wasn\t able and you can only brand horses on your own deed  with perms for the horse..

Edited by Psalamon

If we're looking into things that spill over incorrectly to the other cluster, how about making it possible to place minedoors on slopes above 90 on PvE servers? I don't recall seeing any fix for that yet.