Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Is there a logical reason why we don't have animal management on pvp servers?

So this is something for ages i didn't even realise was a thing until a friend mentioned it. On freedom you can nickname your animals, use an animal management screen, can't accidentally murder your own horse and instantly untame pets with one click. All of these to me sound like pretty cool and useful additions to the game, particularly the last two and i can't understand for the life of me what posssible reason there is why the pvp servers didn't get the update. I play on Chaos so i'm only assuming Epic doesn't get this as well? Either way it seems just glaringly unfair that we're missing a basic feature update to the game which doesn't affect pvp at all.

Edit - Call this a suggestion and move it if you wish but i'd rather the discussion that comes from town square than the +1 / -1 followed by months of waiting that usually comes with a thread in the suggestion section.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 3

Believe it was something to do with the fact that it prevents others from also killing or attacking the horse even off deed.

EDIT: That and PVPers tend to put some pretty offensive names on items.

Edited by Rasu
  • Like 1

The part I'd love to see on pvp server is the untame and uncare-for; I can understand why the rest might not be doable, but why keep us from those two?  I've lost favorite horses because of the need to do /stopcaring on an animal that I couldn't retrieve and having to stop caring for every one.

2 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

if you don't like it go to freedom

Woah crazy we tell the same thing when carebears ask for pvp features to be put on pve servers and guess what they're still added over there. 

So far i've got

1. Too lazy to fix a bug

2. Pvpers are somehow horrible people at naming things but noone else is.

3. Deal with it.

So i'm still waiting for a logical reason,number 1 there is closest.

• Like 5

Good luck on that answer, I still have no official response on my cave dwelling question in regards to collapsing tiles on buildings.

They all seem like something that would fit fine on the pvp servers

the unable to kill own horse thing a few pvpers were unsure about though since it would prevent them from quickly demounting and grabbing their gear at the same time

other then that I dunno

As I have a habit of offing my own horse, I would love to not be able to accidentally kill it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, asdf said:

the locating i guess?

There's a locating feature? I'm unfamiliar with most of what the animal management feature contains.

14 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

There's a locating feature? I'm unfamiliar with most of what the animal management feature contains.

Yeah. You get free locates on branded animals on freedom to find out where you forgot it.

35 minutes ago, Worksock said:

They all seem like something that would fit fine on the pvp servers

the unable to kill own horse thing a few pvpers were unsure about though since it would prevent them from quickly demounting and grabbing their gear at the same time

other then that I dunno

on pve its solved by a profile setting where u can switch it on/off. so no idea why exactly it never made its way to the pvp servers.

as for the locating feature. well, that might be it, but i guess that one could be disabled and noone would complain. tho itd help me to finally find that horse i lost like a month back. i know its somewhere...

if we start voting on wether we want this or not tho, id +1 this. even if not all the other stuff at least the untame and uncare option. i never understood why the only option to uncare a horse via command is to uncare ALL of them.

Overall these sound like it has some possibly mild issues that one "could" argue affect or shouldnt be on a pvp server. But 90% should and the little that maybe shouldn't could easily be disabled or modified. I don't understand at all what the official codeclub logic behind denying us a whole feature is based on what i've been told here so far.

too many players would show up in the animal management screen

I'm afraid this may be my fault, without knowing the complete ins and outs of everything that was going to be added I had only really heard that the management would be options for restricting leading, mounting and killing type things and thought it would be a false sense of security for new players. New players in pvp tend to rage and get upset when their things are stolen and I suggested it might be better for them to not be open to think just because they set some permissions that things would be ok.

I had no idea that there would be lots of cool useful things like being able to gear untamed horses, untaming and uncaring for animals or locating pets.

The not killing your mount thing I still stand by not having that forced on people who find it useful.

Perhaps some middle ground could be achieved by having the cool stuff without the false sense of security

1 minute ago, SmeJack said:

I'm afraid this may be my fault, without knowing the complete ins and outs of everything that was going to be added I had only really heard that the management would be options for restricting leading, mounting and killing type things and thought it would be a false sense of security for new players. New players in pvp tend to rage and get upset when their things are stolen and I suggested it might be better for them to not be open to think just because they set some permissions that things would be ok.

I had no idea that there would be lots of cool useful things like being able to gear untamed horses, untaming and uncaring for animals or locating pets.

The not killing your mount thing I still stand by not having that forced on people who find it useful.

Perhaps some middle ground could be achieved by having the cool stuff without the false sense of security

Simple tick box in profile settings "Allow killing your own mount"

Aye which is why it should be simple enough to find middle ground with customisable options and such

well only really need the untame/care things

locate is bad and so is branded horses being able to have gear taken off/on.  imagine a branded hell horse not tamed by a fo/nathan priest dragging a champ croc or a worg and able to take gear off to save it wihtout taming or put on/off a barding without taming

• Like 4

A new player in PvP is not likely to have anything more than a wild horse to start with, unless of course they are starting out in a established kingdom. So the 'rage' of loosing your favorite wild horse for a new player may of not been that critical anyways.

The ability to figure out where your missing horse is would be a very nice feature to have on chaos, quite often its simply in the next tunnel over when another member of your deed borrowed it to drag a cart around.

If the loss of a horse was more nefarious than that, chances are its on a enemy deed and there is not much chance you are going to see it again, even if you know exactly where it is. But In this case I think a horse owned by one kingdom and taken another should simply just nullify any ownership settings you had to begin with, and the horse is simply gone for good.

It may not be very critical to you but for them it can be quite demoralising. Its part of pvp and something they should get used to but a false sense of security can increase the hurting when something goes wrong quite significantly and I think its important (now more than ever) for player retention to not increase that when so many quit from losses early on before falling in love with the game.

I believe new players should not ever start out on chaos in the first place, if they wonder into places they are not welcomed the negative experienced will occur rapidly.

I think Gary has hit the issues best, just seems like someone went "there might be some slight issues so instead of giving them the ones that won't be a problem lets just not add any of it to pvp at all". Which if true (it really sounds like it but official response would be nice) is very lazy.

I believe it was mostly those "slight issues" were tied in with a lot of permissions and a lot of different things.

That said, it's certainly something worth looking into and will be raised.

• Like 2

Fair enough, makes sense that it might be a bit of trouble to isolate the problem parts. Thanks for the response.