Sindusk

[WU] Datamining

I'll throw an easy and a harder one I guess

1. The myth of backpacks applying a CR penalty. True or false?

2. Any details on the exact mechanics of becoming a ruler for a kingdom/the stats required and the % success chance?

On 8/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, TheInnkeeper said:

One major gap in my knowledge at least is the evasion rating of various armors. I know armor has an effect on evasion rate but that's all I know. The wiki, the OP of this topic, and all other sources I've seen are silent on the subject. Would really love to know as I feel it's probably important in making an educated decision about your armor type.

Evasion is the wrong word for the mechanic. The more accurate term is dodge. Armour only really affects your glance rates, DR, and movement speed. Indirectly, armour affects dodge since movement speed has an effect on dodge chance. Otherwise, dodge chance is related to the amount of weight you're carrying in relation to your maximum weight. The less you carry, the higher your dodge chance. Body control also plays a role here. I'm considering writing a document detailing the combat process more in-depth. If I do so, it will contain all relevant information about dodge.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Here is a tricky one @Sindusk

Forage/botanise...  How are they influenced by nearby tiles/plants?  Do different flowers have different effects?

Upon initial reading, nearby tiles don't appear to have any effect. Foraging and botanizing appears to only be affected by the tile you're interacting with.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:50 AM, RainRain said:

I'll throw an easy and a harder one I guess

1. The myth of backpacks applying a CR penalty. True or false?

2. Any details on the exact mechanics of becoming a ruler for a kingdom/the stats required and the % success chance?

1. Backpacks don't apply a CR penalty. This is documented in the initial post, where the spoiler has the full list of CR modifiers.
  2. You'll find all the answers you're looking for in this post.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

Evasion is the wrong word for the mechanic. The more accurate term is dodge. Armour only really affects your glance rates, DR, and movement speed. Indirectly, armour affects dodge since movement speed has an effect on dodge chance. Otherwise, dodge chance is related to the amount of weight you're carrying in relation to your maximum weight. The less you carry, the higher your dodge chance. Body control also plays a role here. I'm considering writing a document detailing the combat process more in-depth. If I do so, it will contain all relevant information about dodge.

Please do this! Week up the good work ❤️

On 8/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, Sindusk said:

Upon initial reading, nearby tiles don't appear to have any effect. Foraging and botanizing appears to only be affected by the tile you're interacting with.

Does that mean only actually botanising on oak tiles gives the acorn boost?

Can it be confirmed what the actual main shields and weapon skill does, like axes, swords etc

Is there a way to reveal the brightness of lamps made of various metals at the same ql? How much more light does a 50ql lamp produce vs a 25ql lamp?

17 hours ago, steamedlunch said:

Is creating a enchant the same as improving a enchant?

I'm pretty sure this was answered in the opening post. Replacing an enchant has a bonus of +5 (0 power) to +0(100 power). It has no effect otherwise to the cast.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:14 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Does that mean only actually botanising on oak tiles gives the acorn boost?

I missed a section of foraging and botanizing earlier. Your comment helped me find exactly where it was happening (in another class that I didn't even realize was important). It turns out that you do get a bonus for being nearby (or not near) certain tiles. You get a 1/2 modifier at 1 tile away, and 1/3 modifier at 2 tiles away.

Some foraging modifiers:

• Wemp - no trees
  • Cotton - wounded
  • Raspberry & cucumber - hungry
  • Lingonberry - near bush
  • Hazelnut, orange, raspberry, and blueberry sprouts - near bush
  • Rice - near water

Some botanizing modifiers:

• Acorn - near oak
  • Barley, lovage, nettles, parsley, rosemary, sage, sassafrass, wheat - wounded
  • Woad - no trees

Meeting the requirements does not guarantee the result, just improves the likelyhood.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, Tor said:

Can it be confirmed what the actual main shields and weapon skill does, like axes, swords etc

They do nothing directly. They apply a "bonus" roll to skill checks involving the weapon or shield. For the purposes of combat, this improves block chance (shield) and parry rate (weapon). The actual value by which it affects it is fairly minor. You can use the Fixed Bonus tool on grinder to see the difference. Put in your shield or weapon skill, then apply a bonus of 0 (low skill check from parent skill), up to 70 (high skill check from parent skill) and see the difference for yourself. It's worth noting that bonus has reduced effect as skill goes higher, up to no effect at 100 skill.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, Kelody said:

Is there a way to reveal the brightness of lamps made of various metals at the same ql? How much more light does a 50ql lamp produce vs a 25ql lamp?

I can't find anything in regards to this. I'd imagine it's something client-side since lighting is a client mechanic, and I'm not very good with the client side of Wurm.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 12:52 AM, steamedlunch said:

Is creating a enchant the same as improving a enchant?

On 8/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, Kelody said:

I'm pretty sure this was answered in the opening post. Replacing an enchant has a bonus of +5 (0 power) to +0(100 power). It has no effect otherwise to the cast.

What do you mean by replacing? Does it mean you must dispell it or it works the same for new item? If it is, them how you can get 0-5 power enchant if this bonus exists for all new items. Reffer to your words we can get meaning that its impossbile to get 0-5 power enchant on new item = this range of enchants shouldnt exists in the game at all, but i getting these powers enhants on new items.

Edited by Nelsy

Replace - cast over existing enchant

Dispell - remove existing enchant

it's very possible to get 0 power enchants on new items. The bonus only applies to replacing enchants. I do not know If a 0 power enchant, giving a +5 bonus would turn a -4 cast into a 1 making a 1 possible after a 0.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:33 AM, Kelody said:

Replace - cast over existing enchant

Dispell - remove existing enchant

it's very possible to get 0 power enchants on new items. The bonus only applies to replacing enchants. I do not know If a 0 power enchant, giving a +5 bonus would turn a -4 cast into a 1 making a 1 possible after a 0.

So in this theory i can get 110 just because this +5 bonus and +5 bonus from benediction? But i never seen 110 casts, is it real? So if we never seen this casts to ty get ecnahnt 0-5 power via dispelling and reenchanting. Its very little chance that you will get 0-5 power, and even harder  less chance that you will get 105 cast after it. Some people say we(priests) have to dispell in order to get +5 bonus, but this is sounds as waste of time even if it work like this, unless we are trying to get maximum pissble power at the end and doesnt care about any other resuts that less than maximum.

Edited by Nelsy

For the casting thing, its based on how much you improve the cast by. A blank item counts as 0 and will get this bonus. For every 20 you improve it by, +1 is added to the cast (on a blank tool 20 cast becomes 21, 40 cast becomes 42, 60 cast becomes 63, etc. A For example a 90 coc cast on a blank tool would become 94, but if you casted over a 80 coc on the tool already it'd be 90 since you didnt improve it by enough. Casting on blank tools gets you higher enchants, higher enchants on the item reduces your chance for higher enchants but won't effect shatter chance, that's a common misconception) For example, you roll a 39.5, on a blank tool, it would be a 40.5 power enchant, but you would still get skillgain since you rolled between 1-40. For a 110 cast you would have to roll a perfect 100 on a blank tool with benediction. with 90 channeling this is a 0.07% chance and with 100 channeling this is a 0.14% chance. It's still possible to get 0-5 casts with benediction as it simply turns failures into successes, which also helps lower shatter chance.

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

For the casting thing, its based on how much you improve the cast by. A blank item counts as 0 and will get this bonus. For every 20 you improve it by, +1 is added to the cast (on a blank tool 20 cast becomes 21, 40 cast becomes 42, 60 cast becomes 63, etc. A For example a 90 coc cast on a blank tool would become 94, but if you casted over a 80 coc on the tool already it'd be 90 since you didnt improve it by enough. Casting on blank tools gets you higher enchants, higher enchants on the item reduces your chance for higher enchants but won't effect shatter chance, that's a common misconception) For example, you roll a 39.5, on a blank tool, it would be a 40.5 power enchant, but you would still get skillgain since you rolled between 1-40. For a 110 cast you would have to roll a perfect 100 on a blank tool with benediction. with 90 channeling this is a 0.07% chance and with 100 channeling this is a 0.14% chance. It's still possible to get 0-5 casts with benediction as it simply turns failures into successes, which also helps lower shatter chance.

This is exactly how it works with the exception of blank tools. Blank tools don't get the bonus power. You need to have some cast on the tool for it to obtain the power bonus. A fresh tool with no cast will simply end up at the power you cast. The only way to get a 110 cast is to land a perfect 100 with benediction on an item that has a 0-5 cast already on it.

Just now, Sindusk said:

This is exactly how it works with the exception of blank tools. Blank tools don't get the bonus power. You need to have some cast on the tool for it to obtain the power bonus. A fresh tool with no cast will simply end up at the power you cast. The only way to get a 110 cast is to land a perfect 100 with benediction on an item that has a 0-5 cast already on it.

I've definitely casted things that are 107-109 cast from blank before, which wouldn't be possible without the bonus. not sure how recently you've tested it/checked code but i've done it plenty of times since benediction came out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I've definitely casted things that are 107-109 cast from blank before, which wouldn't be possible without the bonus. not sure how recently you've tested it/checked code but i've done it plenty of times since benediction came out.

Can attest to this as well given the handful of times I've gotten a 107 or 108 from a blank item on the first cast.

Only been back for the better part of two months, and can't recall when I first got around to benediction about a year ago.

7 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Must have been a change between WU 1.9.1.6 and now.

Is it true that active beehives increase farming yield ? 

1 hour ago, atazs said:

Not as far as I can tell.

5 hours ago, atazs said:

I can't speak about 1 beehive helping a farm. I heard a rumor of multiple hives greatly increasing yield and I did a test.They did not have any significant gain with 18 80ql beehives on 400 untended tiles.

Is there any hidden penalties to artifact hit chance, like - CR or ignoring other bonuses to cr or something? A while ago i tried using the sword of mag for hunting and it felt like it had a quarter of the accuracy of my sickle which has a CR penalty as it is

Lately a lot of conflicting info on Reinforcing mines. Do walls help? Do floors help? I know buildings guarantee it. Do walls and floors guarantee it? There was a patch that made a mess of things a while ago, would like to get a reliable answer.

Sometimes, there's a double shild bashing skillgain or even double tick, so my question is under what circumstances it occurs?

6 hours ago, Tor said:

Sometimes, there's a double shild bashing skillgain or even double tick, so my question is under what circumstances it occurs?

if the shield bash does damage to the mob you have a chance for another tick thats double the size of the original one

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if the shield bash does damage to the mob you have a chance for another tick thats double the size of the original one

Thought so but wasn't able to reproduce it reliably, thank you.