Sindusk

[WU] Datamining

1 hour ago, bdew said:

So for best results have 10+ tiles of underwater in at least 2 directions from you and at least 250 dirt deep.

I believe only one of the tiles in the checked range needs to be 250+ depth.

Another cool thing is the checked water tiles don't have to be connected. You could make say 3  water tiles on the E-W axis,  surrounded by dirt, and have 8 or so tiles in water on the N-S axis (ideal if one of these is 250+ depth) and still get group 3 fishing. This is a great way to setup a deeded & fenced in fishing area.  

how much damage does Bloodthirst add on freedom Servers?

• Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 7:17 AM, joedobo said:

I believe only one of the tiles in the checked range needs to be 250+ depth.

Another cool thing is the checked water tiles don't have to be connected. You could make say 3  water tiles on the E-W axis,  surrounded by dirt, and have 8 or so tiles in water on the N-S axis (ideal if one of these is 250+ depth) and still get group 3 fishing. This is a great way to setup a deeded & fenced in fishing area.  

I'm having difficulty picturing this. Can you make a deed planner image?

What creates a special meditation tile, and why do they disappear when digging/raising?

Can their locations be predicted, or just guessed at?

Figured I'd post some archery stuff that I found interesting.

Chance of bowstring breaking:   1 in (bow string QL * 10)

Arrow quality is twice as important as bow quality for damage.  The Archery skill is of equal importance to arrow quality for damage.  These are all multiplied by a "GetDamagePercent" property of the bow, so I'm not yet sure of their total importance.

A spell's ExtraDamageBonus is 5x more effective on an arrow vs a bow.

Arrow rarity increases damage by 30% per level.

Bow rarity increases damage by 5% per level.

(The above percentage increases are additive. The below are multiplicative.)

Shooting at something under sea level will cause half damage, unless it is over 4 meters tall.

Every point in strength increases damage by 1%.

Height can affect damage by up to 20%, with every 10 dirt difference being 1%.

War arrows do 20% more damage than regular arrows.

Arrow shafts as ammo do 20% of the total damage a regular arrow would do.

Level 1 focus will increase damage by 20%

Level 4 focus will increase damage by another 20%.

Nimbleness on the bow will reduce the difficulty of the shot by (spell QL / 10)

Cedar arrows reduce the difficulty of the shot by 5.

Maple arrows reduce the difficulty of the shot by 3, and take 80% of the regular item damage.

Willow bows reduce the difficulty of the shot by 5.

War arrows increase the difficulty of the shot by 3, shafts increase it by 5.

Bow and arrow rarity each decrease the difficulty of the shot by 5 per rarity level.

Edited by Wulvarik
  • Like 3

What is the difficulty for meditation skill ticks?  I get this summary from looking at Cults.meditate():

If time-to-next-cultist-level is 0 or less use this difficulty branch:
    1. if cultist level * 10 - meditation knowledge < 30 OR mediation knowledge > 90
        difficulty = 1 + cultists level * 10

2. else
        difficulty = 1 + cultists level * 3

else
    difficulty = 10

Edited by joedobo

On 11/29/2017 at 0:16 AM, MootRed said:

I'm having difficulty picturing this. Can you make a deed planner image?

https://pastebin.com/pyxCvp47

One could fish on any of the sand tiles inside the fenced area and it would be second only to fishing in deep-sea.

I' haven't confirmed this but I believe if you fished on the tar-tile (the one inside fences area) it would count as deep sea. I think one could drop dirt and flat raise/level out a flattish area in order to make a setup like this.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:55 AM, Wulvarik said:

Does the information available in the Wurmpedia on horse breeding encompass all the information there is on general animal breeding?

Do any non-horses have neat things that can be bred for?

Is the father in all breeding pairs completely irrelevant, or only for condition?  Do traits pass on from the father?

Is there a list of possible traits?

The father can definitely pass on non-condition  traits -- I had a five speed stallion I used a lot in breeding way back, and he gave me lots of perfect 5 speed foals even from "wild" mares with no traits at all.  They can somewhat influence conditions too,such as Champion,but  only the mother can actually pass on the trait.  IE,you cannot get a champion baby from a champ dad and normal mother, only if the mother has the trait, BUT you have better odds of a champ baby  if both parents share the trait.  

Although most traits are specific to horses, all bred animals use the exact same trait  list (I think dogs and pigs too,though it has been year since i've bred anything but horses and bison)  I asked bdew once and he said however some traits like "Spark in its Eye" (longevity trait) might show up in other animals but didn't actually affect them in any way (I was specifically asking about the trait as it appliedto 5-speed bison)

You can get a list of the the traits here in Wurmpedia. https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Animal_husbandry#Traits

I could listen all day to bdew unraveling wurm spaghettii code,something new learned every time :) so maybe he can explain the "Spark" trait not working on bison and other animals, has something to do with the way the effect is calculated. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Conditions (champion, etc.) can only pass from the mother. There's a simple 50% for the offspring to inherit mother's condition, otherwise it comes out plain. The father has 0 effect on this.

Traits apply to anything that reproduces sexually in wurm (i.e. not chicken or dragons), if players could reproduce they would apply to them as well, i'm not kidding there's a specific check for this :P

Mother's traits have a slightly higher weight when deciding the offspring traits. The system is kinda convoluted (and i'm not going to attempt to fully describe it right now), but basically if both parents have the trait it has 50 "weight", if only the mother has it it - the weight is 30, and if only the father - 20.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:29 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

explain the "Spark" trait not working on bison and other animals

It's not something specific to the trait system, just how aging works.

There are 2 checks for dying of old age, one is set to kill a creature at age 50, with spark it increases to 75. This check is the same for all creatures. The other check compares the age to the maximum for that species, and isn't affected by spark.

For e.g. horses that other check is 200 so it's not really relevant, and the first check is what decides whether it lives or not.

But for bison the number is 50, so even with spark it will pass the first check but the second one will still kill it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bdew said:

Conditions (champion, etc.) can only pass from the mother. There's a simple 50% for the offspring to inherit mother's condition, otherwise it comes out plain. The father has 0 effect on this.

Wait a minute! Youre telling me ive been attempting to breed my male champ hell horse and it doesnt matter?!

COME ON WURM!!

2 hours ago, MootRed said:

Wait a minute! Youre telling me ive been attempting to breed my male champ hell horse and it doesnt matter?!

Noep!

KPKbJKJ.png

("this" here is the mother)

What's the formula for how much imbuing will add? From playing around with them it seems like it's around ql/10+3 base and anywhere from 0 up to 5% of nat subs max bonus, just would like a precise number to make a calculator for it.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

What's the formula for how much imbuing will add? From playing around with them it seems like it's around ql/10+3 base and anywhere from 0 up to 5% of nat subs max bonus, just would like a precise number to make a calculator for it.

It adds 5 + S/20 + QL/20

With S being the either 20 or the result of a skillcheck against alchemy at 50 difficulty whichever is higher.

• Like 1

please confirm regarding horse/uni shoes' decay and use damage:

1. Horses/uni shoes only take damage when the game polls for speed updates and I'm not sure if its every time. 

Creature.calcHorseShoeBonus()'s arg 'mounting' is only false when the game is purely polling for a speed update. when embarking or unhitching it's true.

2. horse/uni shoes don't benefit from metal material bonuses regarding damage taken.

Creature.calcHorseShoeBonus() and the calls to Item.setDamage() don't modify the damage using Item.getDamageModifier().

3. Do horse/uni shoes get hit with decay when equipped on a horse/uni?

Edited by joedobo

Does anyone know the exact benefit of the type of meditation rugs? A lot of people believe this or that, but nobody actually has any proof. I know I saw a comment on rarity, but can't seem to find any comments on type.

3 minutes ago, Kelody said:

Does anyone know the exact benefit of the type of meditation rugs? A lot of people believe this or that, but nobody actually has any proof. I know I saw a comment on rarity, but can't seem to find any comments on type.

no difference between them all, med rug salesman try to sell you exquisite coz they take insane amounts of damage repairing. rarity is supposed to add 10% skillgain but does nothing due to how it's coded

• Like 1

Does rarity of the rug increase it's quality overall? So it would be higher chance with it to get meditation question?

I was under the impression that the type of med rug affects the chances of getting a question when meditation on a special tile.

I was told that for skill gain, rug type makes no difference.

I don't code so can't say one way or the other...but it would be interesting to find out for sure.

This could be one of those "superstitions" or observational errors, but these are two things I have convinced myself of over the years and I would really like to know whether the code supports either of these beliefs:

• In general, mobs will very slowly tend to drift northwards on a server, so that northern areas and shorelines tend to be more crowded/dangerous compared to southern facing shorelines. 
  • Mobs are able to sense certain 'heavy' activities such as mining, digging, treecutting, and will gradually drift towards you if you are doing these activities until they finally are in normal aggro range  (ie, these activities actually 'extend' your normal aggro range ... somehow ...)
  •  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Is it possible to check if rarity affects range pole or dioptra?

Sorry for necroing, but as I understand, weapon skill does nothing past 50, and before that, only ever decreases the damage up to 20%, is this correcT?

Should I stop bothering to increase my weapon skills past 50?

I'm back, and come bearing gifts. I wanted to know how fast I could make my large cart using horse shoes. As such, I present the following table:

Spoiler

O3KOtzO.png

O4iVAlm.png

The table makes the following assumptions:

• This is for large carts only, with 2 horses attached.
  • Both horses have no traits.
  • Saddles have no effect on hitched creature movement speed. Only shoes matter.
  • Actual speeds may vary slightly due to how movement works. These values should be within 0.1kmh of what you see in-game.

You might be wondering why I did total QL up to almost 3,000. Surely there's no way to get 365QL horse shoes, right? Well, technically correct, but other factors increase speed per horse shoe equipped:

• 1QL: +1QL
  • 1 WoA or BotD: +1QL
  • Rarity: +60QL per rarity

From this, the best horse shoe possible (100QL, 109 WoA, Fantastic) is equivalent to 100 + 109 + 180 = 389QL for the purposes of calculating speed. With 8 of these equipped on untraited horses pulling a large cart, you would end up with a 22.3 kmh large cart.

An additional (not) fun fact is that upgrading your shoes across the hitched horses may do nothing, if you don't improve them high enough. For example, going from 30QL shoes on every foot to 50QL shoes on every foot will grant no increased speed.

With that, I'm open to new questions asked in this thread. If you're wondering about a complicated game mechanic, ask away and I'll do my best to answer it. I'll start with the two questions I did not answer above.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Wilczan said:

Is it possible to check if rarity affects range pole or dioptra?

A dioptra gains +1 maximum distance between the planner and helper.

I don't see anything regarding range pole rarity.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, Guedez said:

Sorry for necroing, but as I understand, weapon skill does nothing past 50, and before that, only ever decreases the damage up to 20%, is this correcT?

Should I stop bothering to increase my weapon skills past 50?

Skill level 40 allows you to parry while moving. Parry chance always increases with weapon skill, so 50 is not a "limit" so to speak. Higher skill with a weapon will always increase your parry chance. Swing speed also starts at 90% of the listed values, and increases up to 100% at 100 skill. Every 1 weapon skill point increases swing speed by 0.1%.

If you're referring to weapon damage, then you are right. It decreases damage by 20% scaling linearly until you hit skill 50.

Edited by Sindusk
Correction to offensive weapon bonus - swing speed.
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, McGarnicle said:

I was under the impression that the type of med rug affects the chances of getting a question when meditation on a special tile.

I was told that for skill gain, rug type makes no difference.

I don't code so can't say one way or the other...but it would be interesting to find out for sure.

Recent Changes to WO but not WU may make answering this definitively impossible.

One major gap in my knowledge at least is the evasion rating of various armors. I know armor has an effect on evasion rate but that's all I know. The wiki, the OP of this topic, and all other sources I've seen are silent on the subject. Would really love to know as I feel it's probably important in making an educated decision about your armor type.

Here is a tricky one @Sindusk

Forage/botanise...  How are they influenced by nearby tiles/plants?  Do different flowers have different effects?