Sindusk

[WU] Datamining

Disclaimer: The information posted here is based off data gathered from the Wurm Unlimited code and Wurm Unlimited gameplay, and has not been confirmed in Wurm Online. Some information posted below may also be off to some degree so, please, be aware and take this information with a grain of salt. 

Hello everyone, I am an avid Wurm Unlimited player and experienced java programmer. I've been playing for nearly 6 months (never having played Wurm Online before) and been doing a lot of datamining in the Wurm Unlimited server code during this time. I've made large strides in discovering the darkest mysteries of Wurm, and in doing so, created several spreadsheets, mods, and even a standalone simulation program to analyze how Wurm works.

I've noticed that not much of the community has been sharing their findings throughout the code with the rest of the players. People ask many questions and receive answers from people simply skimming the code looking for the fastest answer. It leads to misinformation such as this weapon damage list that I see pop up every now and then. I'm here to put my foot down and officially reveal (almost) everything I've found so far. Let's get started.

Information Spreadsheets

Forge Burning Time (on full fuel) Note: There are other factors involved in how long forges last. Consider this a "maximum" value for time.

Spoiler

tDxrFRV.png

Prayer Chart

Spoiler

CsRAgKS.png

Deity Bonuses

Spoiler

cVBz3H0.png

Weapon Stat Table

Spoiler

hXe0Uqj.png

Miscellaneous Information

Spoiler

jIEEb2s.png

Creature Statistics [multiple images] Super Important Note: "Est Combat Power" is a dumb value! It is a formula I made up to calculate "X is better than Y" - the value itself means nothing! Please do not look at it and assume an anaconda is over 10x stronger than a huge spider.

Spoiler

ZPMhbiQ.png

rgbgxk3.png

lE0iAw6.png

Armour Reduction Table

Spoiler

xqTkM3r.png

True Weapon Damage Note: The total health pool of a player is 65565, reduced by armour, body strength, etc. The values listed are expected of a 90 skill player wielding the listed QL weapon attacking an unarmoured new player.

Spoiler

z0VPofm.png

Meditation Messages Note: This is a list of messages that can appear after "You fall into a trance." - using this message can give you a good indicator of what type of tile you're on.

Spoiler

-- Knowledge Path --
                medString = "You think about reflections and shadows.";
                medString = "You wonder if the future exists but we only see parts of it like a mountainrange.";
                medString = "You try to recall if someone said that the gods don't play dice.";
                medString = "You wonder if you always try to decide on the best option.";
                medString = "You think about the next thing you want to learn.";
                medString = "You think of the things that interest you most.";
                medString = "You wonder if there is something really interesting out there that you haven't heard of.";
                medString = "You envision yourself teaching to the masses.";
                medString = "You wonder what you would say if you got to tell the whole world one sentence of truth.";
                medString = "You wonder how you would study and learn a book of lies.";
                medString = "What lies have you been told this week?";
                medString = "You think about your barriers for learning and how to remove them.";
                medString = "You wonder if it is possible to find knowledge that in no possible situation would save lives.";
                medString = "What would you do if you possessed most knowledge in the world?";
                medString = "If you could become best in the world at anything, what would that be?";
                medString = "You think of the various ways people become the best at something and whether you should adopt some style.";
                medString = "You wonder if time can move backwards somehow.";
                medString = "How come people who ought to know so much often are proven wrong?";
                medString = "Should you trust someone more because the person sounds more convincing?";
                medString = "Do you often lie or take chances when you are asked to speak?";
                medString = "Does history always repeat itself?";
                medString = "You start meditating over recent events.";

-- Insanity Path --
                medString = "Are they after you?";
                medString = "Who was that?";
                medString = "When? When when when?";
                medString = "It sure is dark.";
                medString = "Where does eternity begin?";
                medString = "Am I here, really?";
                medString = "What is this smell?";
                medString = "Isn't life really pretty disgusting?";
                medString = "Who built the mountains?";
                medString = "You consider whether you are supposed to be here.";
                medString = "Is all this a coincidence?";
                medString = "You try to fathom the number of grains of sand in the world.";
                medString = "Is this all part of a plan?";
                medString = "You try to figure out what your moral obligations are.";
                medString = "You think about how people can torture each other and who decides who will live and who will die.";
                medString = "The thought that someone is watching strikes you. ";
                medString = "You think of all the people that decide your fate.";
                medString = "A sense of hopelessness suddenly strikes.";
                medString = "You feel like laughing like a donkey.";
                medString = "You decide not to breathe at all. Does the future already exist?";
                medString = "You are beset by thoughts of demons.";

-- Hate Path --
                medString = "You wonder why you never got that gift.";
                medString = "Are they after you?";
                medString = "You think about how you can do most damage in the least time.";
                medString = "You think about how destruction gives control.";
                medString = "What is the effect of fear?";
                medString = "You wonder if you are afraid of something.";
                medString = "You think of armies gathering to crush the foe.";
                medString = "Where does your hate come from?";
                medString = "What is the purpose of your hate?";
                medString = "How can you make your hate grow?";
                medString = "What triggers your aggression?";
                medString = "How is aggression good for you?";
                medString = "What happens if you use violence?";
                medString = "Am I prepared to kill someone?";
                medString = "Do I want to replace my hate?";
                medString = "You wonder how you can use aggression.";
                medString = "You consider if hate really something is else.";
                medString = "Who controls my hate?";
                medString = "Who is in control of me?";
                medString = "You think of what your options today are.";
                medString = "You think of the faces of the people you hate or have hated.";

-- Power Path -- 
                medString = "You think of aggression and violence.";
                medString = "You envision fire along the horizon. Dark clouds above.";
                medString = "Who is more worthy of power? You or your neighbour?";
                medString = "What happens if all the bad people get all the gold?";
                medString = "Do I have responsibility to gain power?";
                medString = "What will happen to me if I never take control of my life?";
                medString = "You think 'Do plans ever work? Do I need a plan?'";
                medString = "How long plans can I make and do I wish to?";
                medString = "Why do some people become rich?";
                medString = "Do I want to be famous?";
                medString = "You think of heroes and whether you want to be one.";
                medString = "You think of ways to make your neighbour do as you wish.";
                medString = "You envision a straight path through a forest and a tunnel through a distant mountain.";
                medString = "You try to hear the thundering waves of a stormy sea.";
                medString = "You consider the speed and effects of lightning.";
                medString = "You meditate upon the power of the bear.";
                medString = "You think of the things you can not buy for money.";
                medString = "You think about why we use money.";
                medString = "You think about hurricanes and volcanoes and how it would feel to be one.";
                medString = "The image of a small baby surrounded by snakes comes to mind.";
                medString = "You feel full of energy, like the sun.";

-- Love Path --
                medString = "You think about colorful flowers.";
                medString = "You recall the smile of a baby.";
                medString = "You wonder if you can punish with love.";
                medString = "Is it possible to kill for love?";
                medString = "Who loves the most?";
                medString = "What is love anyway?";
                medString = "Is love a feeling or a need?";
                medString = "If I give, do I do it for feeling good myself or for others?";
                medString = "The image of a sprout growing through hard dirt comes to mind.";
                medString = "The bliss of rain on a hot summer day.";
                medString = "You think about the worst person you have met.";
                medString = "You think about the most perfect person you have met.";
                medString = "When I forgive, do I really do it for myself?";
                medString = "Is letting go good or bad? Can I overcome my fears?";
                medString = "If I let my loved one be ruined, how could I live with myself?";
                medString = "Is love possible if I constantly fear rejection?";
                medString = "You think about soft words and whispers.";
                medString = "Is it right to try to control the one you love?";
                medString = "You think about how domination can destroy love and how some people want to be dominated.";
                medString = "Do people grow taller from love?";
                medString = "You wonder if the people in your hometown are like people in other towns.";

-- Default Tile --
                medString = "You consider the wind and the places it goes.";
                medString = "You feel the earth and what walks on it.";
                medString = "You think about the sea and the creatures that swim in it.";
                medString = "The light in a drop of water.";
                medString = "You think about the craftsmen, tinkering and toiling.";
                medString = "You ponder the miners, digging deep in the darkness of the mountains.";
                medString = "The sky lifts your heart.";
                medString = "You try to think of nothing here.";
                medString = "This place reminds you of home for some reason.";
                medString = "You try to recall all the faces you have met.";
                medString = "You think about rain.";
                medString = "You listen to the wind.";
                medString = "You think about sunshine.";
                medString = "You wonder how far you can go.";
                medString = "The thought of the highest mountain makes your mind wander.";
                medString = "The vision of slow flowing rivers calms your mind.";
                medString = "Is it really the same river the next time you step into it?";
                medString = "What makes trees grow?";
                medString = "Which path should you choose today?";
                medString = "You focus on breathing.";
                medString = "You try to clear your mind.";
                medString = "Is there a smallest particle?";
                medString = "What do the gods want?";
                medString = "What is your spirit made of?";
                medString = "Where does my soul live as I leave my body?";
                medString = "Is it possible to move along the chain of time?";
                medString = "Can you freeze water with thoughts?";
                medString = "Aren't most things very predictive?";
                medString = "Is there a physical representation of chance?";
                medString = "Does everything have a shadow somewhere?";
                medString = "If something sees light as something else, how does it look?";
                medString = "What if light and dark is the same thing, just in different shapes.";
                medString = "It sure is a nice day.";
                medString = "Is fear and hate the same thing?";
                medString = "Is love a large hole that needs to be filled or is it something else?";
                medString = "Who has the right to lock someone up?";
                medString = "Can you picture a situation where you could kill someone?";
                medString = "Are you all that honest?";
                medString = "When you judge and limit someone, does that limit you as well?";
                medString = "Do you believe in what people say or what people do?";
                medString = "Will you care about what happens after you are dead?";
                medString = "Does hurting someone really hurt you more?";
                medString = "Is it better to protect a child or let it risk a severe bruise now and then?";
                medString = "Can something good come from small children fighting with each other?";
                medString = "Should children really be allowed to sort out their indifferences themselves?";
                medString = "Are there people who are soulless?";
                medString = "Do you know anyone who has had a perfect childhood?";
                medString = "Maybe we all have our problems.";
                medString = "Who decides who is allowed to complain about something?";
                medString = "Do you taint people by complaining about things to them?";
                medString = "Does what you do have any effect at all?";
                medString = "What is the difference between words spoken and words thought?";
                medString = "What is the difference between an arrow fired and an arrow sheathed?";
                medString = "What is the smallest thing you can do that has effect on another person?";
                medString = "May your mere appearance change the course of events?";
                medString = "Should you accept when someone destroys what you love?";
                medString = "Do you let too many things slip?";
                medString = "Do you try to control things you should not or can not?";
                medString = "Can you change anything in your life for the better?";
                medString = "Does meditating really help anything?";
                medString = "Should you be doing something completely different right now?";

Okay, now that those are out of the way, let's move on to some spell casting simulations.

Spell Casting

Religious spell casting power is based almost entirely on channeling skill. Here are some simulations to assist in gaining a better overall picture of how channeling affects the results. I'm going to use Blessings of the Dark as the spell of choice, but all 60 difficulty spells should function identically. Each image will increment the channeling skill by 5, and show the new results. Each test runs 1 million casts on a single item, then prints statistics on the results.

Spoiler

aSrULkI.png

mJeZbwW.png

9nkR7KV.png

FM81wMh.png

531Dm2U.png

j6ZK9uZ.png

lG6dZDX.png

t0kkMyI.png

m9iFKmJ.png

vhZCFzh.png

ACsaxUG.png

Now, for fun, since I can technically set the value of skills higher than 100 in the simulator, here is 110, 125, and 150 skill:

Z6xUwX7.png

QYdeobR.png

L5bYX7b.png

Well then, that's out of the way. Just to illustrate the amount of difference that difficulty makes a spell, I'll give a reference point by comparing 50 and 70 channeling to the 20 and 40 difficulty spells, Courier and Dark Messenger

Spoiler

9v3sXrQ.png

xiGKi48.png

Ila5i5C.png

mzNmrnB.png

Excellent, so I think that gives a pretty decent idea of how channeling impacts spell casting. I can run further simulations and try to answer any questions you may have on the topic. Let's move on to mining.

Mining

Mining has a ton of factors. The first are obvious, QL of pickaxe and mining. Then there are less obvious factors. Maximum QL of the vein, whether it was transmuted or not, type of vein, and mining oil imbue. Here, I'll show the results of a few simulations against a transmuted iron vein, with normal - fantastic pickaxes in use, then followed up by increments of 10 mining oil imbue power.

Spoiler

AkSiltE.png

Increasing rarity:

Y4TAUUv.png

UiCjc6h.png

RTDSdjm.png

Now to tone back to a normal pickaxe, and show the power of the goblin leader blood imbue, 10 power at a time

etQL2CZ.png

.MKjrb2E.png

75nu6Ph.png

eClZbsR.png

FtFBSXR.png

6XaFBVI.png

KftFSRT.png

99PfCjA.png

WtZVxpV.png

1dAFaiM.png

To demonstrate just how much of a difference the imbues make at high power, here's 100 at 50 mining:

L5MACfV.png

And with a lower QL pickaxe:

NoFZLKl.png

Now to get onto the juicy bits that I've been asked about in so many private messages. Combat!

Combat

Combat is such an incredibly intricate topic. Having spent months looking through it, writing a simulator, and getting down to the nitty gritty details of how each individual system operates, I feel I have only still just scratched the surface. Knowing how each system works does very little if you don't understand the whole picture. I've spent so much time on this, and I'm pleased to say I have some information that I think a lot of players will find useful.

Combat Rating & Hit Chance

Let's start from the top and work our way down. The first thing to understand is hit chance. Hit chance is determined by the following formula:

float chance = (float)((double)(this.normcr(myCR) / (this.normcr(oppCR) + this.normcr(myCR))) * m * (double)parryBonus);

A simplified version:

chance = (myCR / (oppCR + myCR)) * m * parryBonus);

The major factors at play are your CR, your opponents CR, the modifier (m), and parry bonus. I went through the combat rating method and all it's sub-methods, then translated them to English (sort of).

Calculating Your Combat Rating

Spoiler

Spirit Fervor (Praying): +1 CR
King (Kingdom Leader): +3 CR (Requires 2% land share)
Fight Fiercy (Trait): +1 CR
<Add> +1 CR
Truehit (Attacking Buff): +(power/30) CR
Excel (Defending Buff): +(power/30) CR
Fear (Hate Meditation): +2 CR
[If this is a player]
> For each creature attacking this: +1 CR ("Anti gank")
[If this is a horse]:
> Being lead by a player: -5 CR
[If this is a spirit templar]:
> On a challenge server & fighting an enemy player: +10 CR
> Not challenge & under siege: +1-3 CR ("Siege Count")
Nimbleness (Enchant): +(power/30) CR (Primary weapon)
[If player vs player]:
> Royal Executioner (Title): +2 CR (Requires 2% land share)
> Crown of Magranon Aura (Artifact): +1 CR (Applies in an area, does not work on Royal Executioners)
> In own duel ring & opponent is not in same kingdom: +4 CR
> Against player in their duel ring & opponent is not same kingdom: -4 CR
> On PvP server & leading more than 1 creature: -10 CR
[If this is a player]:
> Battle Camp Bonus: +3 CR
[If this is a player & attacking]:
> Fight Style Skill:
> > +Normal*0.005 CR (in normal mode)
> > +Aggressive*0.015 CR (in aggressive mode)
[If this is a player & defending]:
> Fight Style Skill:
> > -(100-Aggressive)*0.03 CR (in aggressive mode)
[If this is a player]
> Skill Penalty (Weapon): -(penalty) CR (refer to Weapon Table for values)
> Potion (Sacrifice): +2 CR per potion (maximum of 5 CR)
> +(Fighting)*0.1 CR (vs non-players)
> +(Fighting)*0.2 CR (vs players)
Battle Rating Penalty (Special Moves): -(penalty) CR
{Multiplier Section}
mult = 1.0
> Flanking Modifier:
> > mult * 1.25 for being in the back 40 degrees of opponent
> > mult * 1.1 for being in the back 80 degrees of opponent
> > no change otherwise
> > > (Important Note: Flanking applies to where you are in relation to the mount the player is on, if they are mounted. Attacking a player from behind their horse will give full flank bonus, even if the player is looking at you.)
> Height Modifier:
> > mult * 1.1 for being much higher than opponent
> > mult * 1.05 for being slightly higher than opponent
> > no change if same height
> > mult * 0.95 for being slightly below the opponent
> > mult * 0.9 for being much lower than the opponent
> Alcohol Modifier:
> > mult * (up to 1.2) if below 20% drunk
> > mult * (down to 0.5) for being between 20-100% drunk
> > no change if not drunk
> Deed War Bonus:
> > mult * (bonus)
Multiply (mult * CR)
(Note: The following additions to CR are not affected by the multiplication done above.)
Focus Level: +(level)*2 CR (only operates after level 3, "You feel lightning inside, quickening your reflexes.")
[If this is a player]:
> Server Combat Modifier: (modifier)*CR
Footing Modifier: (footing)*CR (Footing is a complicated function which can yield up to 40% increased CR or reduce it to 20% of the current)
Hostile Homeserver Penalty: 0.7*CR
Open To Attack (Combat Mistake): 0.7*CR
Prone/Sprawling (Combat Effect): 0.5*CR
Vulnerable: 0.5*CR (Casting Spell, etc.)
Link Penalty: 0.7*CR (If you are linked to a creature currently casting a spell, this modifier applies)
Unmotivated (Trait): Minimum between 4 CR or current value
Normalize: CR must be between 1 and 100. If it is lower than 1, it will be 1. If it is higher than 100, it will be 100.

Next step is the modifier. But I'm going to ignore that for now. It's a little complicated and not worth the trouble of diving into just yet.

Finally, the parry bonus. It can equate to 0.8, 0.9, or 1. It depends on where you and your opponent are targeting. If they are in defensive targeting (the little shield buttons) in the direction you are swinging, then it is 0.8. If they are targeting the other side (horizontally) of the body compared to where you are swinging (for example they are upper right, you are upper left; or you are middle left, and they are middle right), it resolves to 0.9. In all other cases, it resolves to 1.0.

Shields

So that's the rundown on hit chance. Let's move on to shields. When you attempt to block with a shield, a value from -100 to 100 is obtained. There are 3 different ways a shield can resolve: a full block (50-100 roll), half block (0 - 50 roll), and fail block (-100 to 0 roll). A full block stops the attack entirely, no damage is dealt and that's the end of it. A half block reduces the hit chance of the attacker, by up to 50%. This helps resolve it to become a miss, parry, or evade, yet it's still possible the attack goes through and deals damage. Finally, the fail block is when your attempt to block fails and you do not block at all. Keep in mind you can only block 2 attacks per round of combat.

Because of how many factors are at play, I am running my simulations with both players having equal combat rating. The attacker will use a 70ql medium maul with 70 skill in it, and the defender will have their shield skill and QL changed over the duration of the simulations. Here are the results.

Shield Blocking Simulations

Spoiler

VgUi3sU.png

7H6VRHp.png

EnHPJzE.png

JhOZvZE.png

7Vs1l4J.png

Xew5yTM.png

T52vprk.png

ouBp08I.png

pbiyUPk.png

Shield Type Testing Note: Increased sample size to 100,000 from 10,000 to improve accuracy. Added shield material to the output.

Spoiler

mGjX4f8.png

fWoHIst.png

ju8EZjF.png

Lm7AnUl.png

dZElRSl.png

GmsKxjf.png

Shield Rarity Testing Note: Prepare for extreme disappointment. Reading the code indicates that rarity is not a factor, and these simulations back up that claim.

Spoiler

mGjX4f8.png

uIBkq93.png

ZOZys49.png

B34RWuB.png

I have a few other things I can share - mostly involving combat - and will continue in the future. Hopefully you like what I've shared and can glean useful information from it. If you have any questions or would like to request an addition to the Miscellaneous Info spreadsheet (by asking a question about how a certain thing works), just ask and I will do my best to answer your question.

Edited by Sindusk
Fix Deity Bonuses
  • Like 26

nicemyth busting.  have you found anything suggesting that a male and female horse would automatically breed if left in a pen together? they seem to get upto stuff alot..

So what's the point of having the improving bonus as Vynora if priests can't improve?

Other than spells that is.

Does it even count towards improving spells?

Edited by Kswords

11 minutes ago, Aum said:

nicemyth busting.  have you found anything suggesting that a male and female horse would automatically breed if left in a pen together? they seem to get upto stuff alot..

Yes they do. From what I see, it appears that animals have breeding with other animals as part of their AI package. I haven't looked deep enough to know the specifics, but it appears that animals will seek out a mate and breed with them. When this happens, you'll likely see a message like this:

Something seems to have happened between the X and the Y!

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that with natural breeding, there doesn't appear to be a "pregnancy" period. Once they're done, the offspring is created instantly.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kswords said:

So what's the point of having the improving bonus as Vynora if priests can't improve?

Other than spells that is.

Does it even count towards improving spells?

The bonus does not count for spells. I personally play on a Wurm Unlimited server that has priest restrictions removed, so I can't hazard a guess as to why it's in Wurm Online. I'm not a developer, so perhaps it's old code left over from when priests could improve, or perhaps a bonus for champions (I think champions can improve in Wurm Online?). Not sure.

• Like 1

yea i have some questions for science. if you ever have the time for them.

1. how many clicks until carpal tunnel sets in

2. how many clicks until people start pvping on the forums

but seriously

1. does altar radio of influence have any effect or bonuses on priests or followers on pve servers. any bonus or is the bonus you mentioned universal just for faith.

2. does sacrifice material ex. vyn wood, where does get price factor in the formula. for example torches vs cordage ropes or jewelry. Does get price make the favor formula moot?

i mean is it way more important? Hmm cant seem to word it right, hopefully you understand my question.

3. proccing rares on items. whats the formula on wu. i guess some categories would be, smithing items, carpentry items, cloth items, ship building etc.

4. as opposed to mycelium, does standing on enchanted grass have any effect, bonus?

5. i loved my highish repair skill wo, but what is the formula for it in wu. is it worth it to level it on a slow skill gain server. I mean is there some curve to it that diminishes return at very high skill

making it not worth the effort? Well that last question is subjective i guess, just the repair skill gain,curve to damage repaired formula. and also if theres some variance with

different items repaired. some items seem to take more damage after repairing than others with same skilland have different timers. ex. boats obviously but also bacpacks and spirit cottages have high timers.

6. wood type formulas for decay, imping success etc. how do they differ

7. in the armor chart i didnt see chain mail from the moon metals. i know its not optimal but ive seen people wearing them.

and thank you for sharing. i always do take this kind of info with a grain of salt because theres so many variables in the code i think theres

probably a debuff somewhere in the code every time someone does the fart emote. Must be since theyre somewhere far  i cant even see them and

i hear them like theyre next to me. Also a few servers have faster skillgain but if we know whats in vanilla we can extrapolate (is that a word?).

And lastly wu servers biggest instability to me is every time it gets updated.

again thank you 

It's a lot of questions, but i'll do my best to answer them all.

11 minutes ago, Griffith said:

1. does altar radio of influence have any effect or bonuses on priests or followers on pve servers. any bonus or is the bonus you mentioned universal just for faith.

Altar influence has at least 2 effects that I'm aware of. One, it increases spell casting power. You can see in the simulations in the OP that I added a "Altar Bonus: 60" - this comes from being within 10 tiles of a 90QL altar. It assists in getting a higher power while casting. Secondly, it increases combat effectiveness. I'm not sure how, but it is at least mentioned in the combat system. I know it does not affect damage, but I believe it may affect hit chance, block, parry, or other factors. I'm still in the progress of fully unraveling the combat system, but it does something for combat. It's also worth mentioning that the combat bonus is for all gods, not just Magranon/Libila.

15 minutes ago, Griffith said:

2. does sacrifice material ex. vyn wood, where does get price factor in the formula. for example torches vs cordage ropes or jewelry. Does get price make the favor formula moot?

i mean is it way more important? Hmm cant seem to word it right, hopefully you understand my question.

I actually don't have a good answer for this. It's really hard to determine the formulas because I haven't looked too deeply into the economy. However, I put the code for the sacrifice bonuses here if you would like to try your hand at deciphering it, or have someone else look at it. I will try to revisit it and truly understand it in the future. Notes: woodAffinity = vynora, metalAffinity = magranon, clothAffinity = fo, meatAffinity = libila. I think foodAffinity is Fo, and potteryAffinity is vynora, but i don't know it by heart.

21 minutes ago, Griffith said:

3. proccing rares on items. whats the formula on wu. i guess some categories would be, smithing items, carpentry items, cloth items, ship building etc.

I was curious how this worked too, so I spent almost a whole day trying to figure it out. Here's what I discovered:

• Every second that you are logged in, the server rolls a value 1-3600. If you land a 1, you get a "rarity window" (Note: this means you should get 1 rarity window per hour on average).
  • The rarity window lasts 20 seconds. This can be increased by up to 10 through the deed Enchanting bonus.
  • When you take an action in the rarity window, you get a "Moment of Inspiration" drumroll, which goes down this list:
    • If you are improving, and damage the item, nothing happens.
    • If you are improving, and you get a skillgain tick (this is rarer on higher quality items, at least in WU), you succeed.
    • If you are creating an item, you succeed.
    • In most other actions, you will succeed.
  • Upon success, the following occurs:
    • You have a 1/1000 chance of making the item fantastic. If that fails,
    • You have a 1/100 chance of making the item supreme. If that fails,
    • The item is rare. Exception when improving, it appears to roll a 50/50 chance as to whether to make the item rare in the end. This is unconfirmed.

Hopefully this is the answer you were looking for. I feel like you may have been referring to something else that's Wurm Online related, but this is how it works in the Wurm Unlimited code.

26 minutes ago, Griffith said:

4. as opposed to mycelium, does standing on enchanted grass have any effect, bonus?

Sadly I can't confirm this, and looking for where it might occur could be any number of places. If I stumble across this, I'll mention it, but to my knowledge enchanted grass has no special effect.

27 minutes ago, Griffith said:

5. i loved my highish repair skill wo, but what is the formula for it in wu. is it worth it to level it on a slow skill gain server. I mean is there some curve to it that diminishes return at very high skill

making it not worth the effort? Well that last question is subjective i guess, just the repair skill gain,curve to damage repaired formula. and also if theres some variance with

different items repaired. some items seem to take more damage after repairing than others with same skilland have different timers. ex. boats obviously but also bacpacks and spirit cottages have high timers.

Repair isn't something I've looked deeply into. I'll have to poke around and get back to you on this.

29 minutes ago, Griffith said:

6. wood type formulas for decay, imping success etc. how do they differ

I'll have to look more closely into how decay works, but from my (relatively poor) knowledge, all wood types except for one (cedarwood I think?) decay at the same rate. Again I actually don't know the answer to that one. As for improving success, all wood types are identical. Material type is not checked in the improvement code.

9 minutes ago, Griffith said:

7. in the armor chart i didnt see chain mail from the moon metals. i know its not optimal but ive seen people wearing them.

Chain armour made out of other materials is only cosmetic. Iron, seryll, glimmersteel, etc. chain all function identically in terms of damage reduction. Having a different material just gives you that extra swag that charms the beast into going easy on you. :D

Thank you for your questions and if I can clarify anything further let me know.

• Like 4

awesomeness

1,2 and 3 are thorough enough answers for me anything else is gravy :)

on 4 i was thinking of a healing bonus, just to steer you on a direction, seemed to me it would act as a healing cover and give me heal ticks on 10

minute timer. but if not maybe it was because i had high body/or body strength stats? Thing is i didnt need to use healing covers for any medium wound.

(almost bad wounds, 25, 26 damage) I thought it was the enchanted grass, but it could have been something else.

on 6. yea decay rate but also any other morsels like, does a willow fishing rod really break less than another wood type rod? does a oak wooden tool

really last longer (get damaged less) than other types? and if other woods have any peculiarities like that. So many wood types, would be a shame that

the only other thing they would have is a difference in difficulty at chopping down, like someone else posted.

thanks man, appreciate it.  and im in no hurry for answers.

Ss0pfcgIrkedi.gif

Edited by Griffith

16 minutes ago, Griffith said:

on 4 i was thinking of a healing bonus, just to steer you on a direction, seemed to me it would act as a healing cover and give me heal ticks on 10

minute timer. but if not maybe it was because i had high body/or body strength stats? Thing is i didnt need to use healing covers for any medium wound.

(almost bad wounds, 25, 26 damage) I thought it was the enchanted grass, but it could have been something else.

Wow good call I just searched the healing method and look what we found:

if (Tiles.getTile((byte)Tiles.decodeType((int)(tn = this.creature.getCurrentTileNum()))).isEnchanted()) {
                        mod += 2.0f;
                    }

For reference, that is essentially 2x as powerful as how much increase you get from having it bandaged:

if (this.isBandaged) {
                mod += 1.0f;
            }

Nice catch and I'll add that into my spreadsheet misc info.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Griffith said:

on 6. yea decay rate but also any other morsels like, does a willow fishing rod really break less than another wood type rod? does a oak wooden tool

really last longer (get damaged less) than other types? and if other woods have any peculiarities like that. So many wood types, would be a shame that

the only other thing they would have is a difference in difficulty at chopping down, like someone else posted.

I looked into decay and found the following:

• Oak items decay 20% slower.
  • Steel items decay 20% slower.
  • Glimmersteel items decay 40% slower.
  • Adamantine items decay 60% slower.
  • Rotting Touch makes items decay (power)% faster.
  • Crude items decay 10x faster.
  • Fishing Rods made from willow decay 30% slower.
  • Like 5

Very cool info.. The big question is how much if any of the vode was changed for WU? Is there any possible answer for this?

10 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

Very cool info.. The big question is how much if any of the vode was changed for WU? Is there any possible answer for this?

This cannot be answered by anyone except a developer. However, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the only thing really significantly difference is skill gain calculations. It was necessary due to the action timer difference. The rest of the differences are server-specific settings and mods.

• Like 2

Very interesting reading!  I would be interested in knowing if there are any floor or ceiling levels beyond which values won't go.  For example, in the miscellaneous list Web Armor is said to slow an attacker by .05 seconds per power.  So a 100 power cast would mean a player would be slowed by 5 seconds.  So an attacker with a small sword would only be swinging it every 8 seconds vs the 3 second base rate, cutting his dps to almost a third of normal, while someone with a 5 second attack timer would only be cut to half of their normal dps.  In some other games I've played buffs/debuffs are limited by some formula or hard number.

Knowledge of any floors or ceilings would be important not only in determining the weapon you want to use but also in how much effort/resources you want to put in to achieving higher numbers of, in this case web armor.

Just now, Grumpysmith said:

Very interesting reading!  I would be interested in knowing if there are any floor or ceiling levels beyond which values won't go.  For example, in the miscellaneous list Web Armor is said to slow an attacker by .05 seconds per power.  So a 100 power cast would mean a player would be slowed by 5 seconds.  So an attacker with a small sword would only be swinging it every 8 seconds vs the 3 second base rate, cutting his dps to almost a third of normal, while someone with a 5 second attack timer would only be cut to half of their normal dps.  In some other games I've played buffs/debuffs are limited by some formula or hard number.

Knowledge of any floors or ceilings would be important not only in determining the weapon you want to use but also in how much effort/resources you want to put in to achieving higher numbers of, in this case web armor.

Web Armour is cleared every 10 seconds or so, which means their next swing would be 8 seconds, yes, but then it would return to normal. Web Armour also only functions when you damage the enemy player. That means unless you're hitting every single time, the difference is not so drastic. When you account for shield blocks, parries, and the like, the power of Web Armour is reduced quite a bit.

To my knowledge there are no floors or ceiling levels for any enchants. The only one that "kind of" works that way would be horse gear with WoA (or BotD). The code for understanding how horse gear works was kind of painful to read, but I think (if I read it right), the 1 power of WoA/BotD is equal to 1 QL on the horse shoe or saddle. Since horse gear QL applies additions to speed at certain "thresholds" I suppose that would act as a sort of cast ceiling once you got to higher QL and casts.

For the rest, I can't see anything where a higher value doesn't increase the effectiveness of something. If you get away from enchants and start working with all spells, there are certain threshold values that are required. For example, to raise a champion mob with Rebirth, you need at least 20 power. To raise a unique monster with Rebirth, you need at least 50 power. Some other spells operate in similar ways.

• Like 1

Added a "True Weapon Damage" table and added some Mining simulations. I'll likely be approaching some combat next, starting with shield block and parry rates.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff, thanks. Would you be willing to share the Excel files from the screenshots? 

hmm interesting info and thank you very much for sharing- can you tell us what does rarity do to weps and shields?

edit: also curious what does Tea do if you looked into it

Edited by Sin

Okay, I've started it everyone, I've gotten a lot of PM's which have all mainly pointed towards combat. I've edited the original post with the beginnings of unraveling the combat system for the community. I will continue adding onto it in the future.

wasn't expecting shield ql to matter so little for blocking

how much does rarity affect these results?

what about large shield vs small shield, how big is the block difference?

also I remember seeing somewhere in the code when I was skimming through that armor rarity affects web/aosp, know anything about it?

its nice you took all the time to make this but im skeptic about the libila 25% increased damage. have you tested this?

• Like 1

nice! I"m looking forward to reading one of your mods. Did you publish one? I don't remember right off-hand.

Something I ran into recently is that players can throw hot liquid at opponents and do damage. How hot the liquid is and its weight affect damage. It's in Archery.class thrownItem(). I didn't follow this all the way through a combat calculation as I was just interested in what was going on with "getTemperature()".

That forge burn time sheet is interesting. I been working on a mod to make it so folks can put more say 20 peats in a forge and get 20 hours of burn time (assuming 1 peat normally gives an hour). Although, that short for Item.class temperature field is an obstacle to this goal....eh, I'll figure something out.

22 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Something I ran into recently is that players can throw hot liquid at opponents and do damage. How hot the liquid is and its weight affect damage. It's in Archery.class thrownItem(). I didn't follow this all the way through a combat calculation as I was just interested in what was going on with "getTemperature()".

indeed! was super OP back when we first ran into it - able to kill just about anyone (one action with no timer!)... it was nerfed later and now it's mostly not very useful

If I remember correctly you could blast every non God-level player in one shot.

Hi i have a question about shields, what's the difference between a metal and a wooden shield