Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

Adamantine Damage

Adamantine does not do 10% increased damage on weapons, like the Wurmpedia says (Adamantine):

Notes

• Adamantine plate has the same movement speed as steel plate and glimmersteel plate.
  • Adamantine weapons do 10% more damage.
  • Adamantine armor has higher damage reduction than armor made from normal materials.

Here is a snippet of code from the getDamage function in CombatHandler:

} else {
            boolean full = _creature.hasSpellEffect(67) && !weapon.isArtifact();
            damage = Weapon.getModifiedDamageForWeapon(weapon, attStrengthSkill, full) * 1000.0;
            damage += (double)(weapon.getCurrentQualityLevel() / 100.0f * weapon.getSpellExtraDamageBonus());
            damage += Server.getBuffedQualityEffect(weapon.getCurrentQualityLevel() / 100.0f) * (double)Weapon.getBaseDamageForWeapon(weapon) * 2400.0;
        }

The first call is to Weapon.getModifiedDamageForWeapon, which does the 1.1 multiplication at the end of the function.

if (weapon.getMaterial() == 56) {
            damreturn *= 1.1;
        }

However, as you can see from the CombatHandler code, it then does straight addition to the value, gradually decreasing the effect of the multiplication, down to the point where an adamantine weapon eventually does about ~2% to ~3% more than a non-adamantine weapon. I have a combat simulator which I tuned to test the damage difference from adamantine. Here are the results:

iron longsword: 11187
addy longsword: 11414

longsword difference: 102.02%

iron maul: 20243
addy maul: 20677
maul difference: 102.14%

iron huge axe: 24353
addy huge axe: 24867
huge axe difference: 102.11%

I suggest changing of the Adamantine page to better reflect its actual functionality.

• Like 5

I think its is simply a case of devs being less than optimal at coding rather than the wiki being wrong considering various statements by devs...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

I think its is simply a case of devs being less than optimal at coding rather than the wiki being wrong considering various statements by devs...

^

@Stik

Thank you for your report and as I do agree with you I cannot edit the page to reflect this information due to the fact that the information was gained from looking at the Wurm Unlimited Code. Or so I assume due to the fact that your not a dev. If another dev could poke at the Wurm Online code to confirm this than I would fel better about changing the page. It is a protocol for the Wurmpedia to not update information based off of Wurm Unlimited code. Now of course some exceptions to occur but unless you have hard evidence from in game or the code from WO than I don't feel safe about updating the page. 

With that being said, the combat simulator I feel like could be evidence enough to back up your claim. I just need you to explain it to me because when I look at the feedback from it all I see are numbers. 

Thank you and if you have any questions please feel free to post them below. 

-- Zachariah 

Edit: Quote taken directly from the Wurmpedia Guidelines: Wurm Unlimited may not be used to confirm mechanics, but may be used for providing screenshots when needed.

Edited by Zachariah

I understand not wanting to change the information because it cannot be confirmed on Wurm Online. Even players with adamantine weapons would likely be unable to confirm the difference due to how small the change is. However, it's been shown before the Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited moon metals function identically, as proven by this thread which was later implemented into the Wurmpedia through this edit. Now, I know, Keenan is a developer, but at the very least would it be possible to add a section underneath the Wurmpedia page for a "rumor" or such that it does not actually function as intended? The whole community of Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are being done a disservice by promoting false information like this - prices are high on a material based on misinformation, and people are under the illusion that their item does something that it doesn't.

As for the Combat Simulator, I copy/pasted the code from Wurm Unlimited for the setDamage function in the CombatHandler, then ran it 1,000,000 times for each weapon. I averaged the results and printed them out. You see the results in the OP.

Edited by Sindusk

@Sindusk

I appreciate the suggestion of adding it in a rumors section but according to the Wurmpedia Guidelines "You may not include speculation, general advice, or any other information other than confirmed facts." 

I will tell you what. The best I can do for you, until it is confirmed in Wurm Online, is I can add it to the talk page. 

• Like 1

good job Sindusk...  nice when a player can point out something that appears broken and it can be looked into so quickly.