Sign in to follow this  
Cerberus

advanced content

It's been 10 years. Many players have reached 100 skills in various things. Maybe it is time to give some benefit and the ability to push on and open new features? Take mining for example. Could set it so once a player has 100 skill in something the ability to craft a scroll to unlock to 120 skill. At something like 105 mining make it so they can occasionally find ady, glimmer or seryll when mining tiles and veins. Make new metal types as they advance towards 120? Smiths and other crafters could unlock new recipes and craftables. They would need the actual skill itself, not the potion equivalent of the skill. I'm not yet at 100 in any skill, but perhaps giving the ability to make 100+ useful would be motivation other than a title saying "I'm insane enough to do it for the sake of it". Just something to help with player retention and giving more content.

• Like 1

skills should not be above 100, no no no

grind other skills to 100 if you want but don't increase the cap

Even so, Hash, there's only so many skills to grind to 100 and some of those I wouldn't grind to 10.  Climbing being one.  But then I hate grinding any at all.  Don't do it IRL - won't do it IG.  But that aside, something needs to be done.  Rifts didn't do it.  Maybe world PvP would .. I hate PvP, but I can almost feel the delicious fear of watching hostiles sneak toward my humble abode as I cower inside - as long as they couldn't burn my stuff up.  I can feel the tension and my hunger for blood as I sneak thru the underbrush to ambush them (see, I don't cower long!).  IDK, I don't have but maybe 3 skills even over 50 yet I find Wurm more boring at times than not.  I hang out for the community.  I have no answers, but I agree with Cerb - something needs to be done.  Not sure raising skill cap is it though, cause many are leaving or like me, bored, before they hit 50s.

Believe the problem is that the game needs new skills as their hasn't been any new ones in years

Plus a lot of the old skills are pretty much useless to grind

• Like 6

This would be very hard to realize in my opinion. How should be the skillgain for those levels be scaled? What about the players, who have grinded many 100s of hours to their 100-skills? Should they get additional skill points as compensation for "100 skill" being easier to reach?

And also, anything but 100 as max skill would be arbitrarily. 120 i.e. would be one arbitrary number. The scale goes from 1-100, that seems somewhat logical. Why should it go to any other number?

A thing to consider would be to just leave the skill cap where it is but instead, give those "advanced contents" somewhere around maybe 98 skilllevel. But then, getting moonmetals from normal mining would make Wurm even easier.

And making Wurm easier would make it more boring.

16 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Believe the problem is that the game needs new skills as their hasn't been any new ones in years

I agree with this person.

• Like 1

I think fleshing out the "other skills" would be a step in the right direction

19 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Am all for new skills rather than increasing the 100 cap which the suggestion is suggesting. 

• Like 2

One of the things that could easily be done, to improve things like weapon smithing and armor smithing is to make it so that guards wear gear, and are controlled by the deed to which they are a part of.  This would limit the usefulness of random towers as the default gear wouldn't be good as the default guards would be peasants with sticks. (literally)

With being able to craft and equip your guards with weapons, armor, food, and healing items.  You could radically change the flow of how guard towers work, and also require people to modestly work for the strong advantage they apply.  

The PVP ramifactions I would imagine would be wonderfully more in depth. 

• Like 1

because doing anything with guards will fix the issue? I forgot I posted this in the broken *** pvp section? pvp is over, done. wurm is in a sorry state as a whole. I would have sold out long ago if it was not for my friend asking me to stay. Something needs to be done to improve ALL GAME PLAY not just.... pvp. I would pvp if it was completely revamped. skills mattered more than having the larger zerg, and you could not do total destruction with the motive of run players out of the game and be self cannibalistic in nature. Not to even mention the community on wild. I won't even start in on that.

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

because doing anything with guards will fix the issue? I forgot I posted this in the broken *** pvp section? pvp is over, done. wurm is in a sorry state as a whole. I would have sold out long ago if it was not for my friend asking me to stay. Something needs to be done to improve ALL GAME PLAY not just.... pvp. I would pvp if it was completely revamped. skills mattered more than having the larger zerg, and you could not do total destruction with the motive of run players out of the game and be self cannibalistic in nature. Not to even mention the community on wild. I won't even start in on that.

wow.... my whole comment and you focus on the last line?  This is across the entire game world.  This is an attempt as you lovingly state in your post to move the game world where skills and logistics which would make the game economy drive forward and provide more things to do.   

Simply adding Gen X sword, and then Gen XI and then Gen XII just starts an arms race and further increases the gap people will need to cross to simply be "good"

Now I would love to hear what you would like to "add" that would give more to do, and have meaning.  what would smiths be crafting at 120 ( or whatever new skill level) that would not start an arms race?   Wouldn't some logistical burdens be more worthwhile in PvE & PvP?

Edited by Tallios

Guards can be equiped already. We typically don't because of how easily they are killed and looted for said gear.

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Guards can be equiped already. We typically don't because of how easily they are killed and looted for said gear.

The expansion I recommended was that guards be allowed to be equipped by deed owners and those guards are controlled.  Change the damn rules so that people can't walk up and take gear off of them.

Make a Well armored tower guard a real threat.  Make them use healing items so they don't wander around until death.  Make them want to stay alive.  These kinds of things, a more challenging and difficult foe.  Additionally add that guards will automatically defend other guards.

This is just a major improvement for tower mechanics, but I think you will agree that it's certainly desired and considered well overdue by many.

Finally this would allow for the Crafting force to participate in a meaningful way to combat and defense.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

read OP, Don't re-create runescape for the love of god. No, Just no.

Hey give me a few more weeks to pop my first 100 before we talk moving the bar. B)

would like to see the bar actually be useful. Also. Stop slacking :)

Yes NEW SKILLS and CRAFTS!!!  Rolf said a year ago he would look into glass blowing and stained (colored) glass especially for windows.  

Please?  Please???  

• Like 3

Yea I was thinking more along the lines of content from Ultima online freeshards. which is still going strong 20 years later or so? Never played runescape.

• Like 1

Having new skill will level the playing field. Newer players can even feel like they are at the head of the pack for once. THis would be a good move.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Milosanx said:

Having new skill will level the playing field. Newer players can even feel like they are at the head of the pack for once. THis would be a good move.

You know that's the logic behind /fatigue per Rolf? I can't see that either solution works.  The only solution that will work is a credit card slot machine for skill to have new players out skill and out pace old players who know what they're doing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

At something like 105 mining make it so they can occasionally find ady, glimmer or seryll when mining tiles and veins. Make new metal types as they advance towards 120? Smiths and other crafters could unlock new recipes and craftables.

I'd like to have this part implemented, but without these partciular numbers :lol: For most skills here higher levels only mean quicker timers which is bad, we need new possibilities with every new title/bracket. As for the OP, these new possibilities could be turned on also for 90, 91, 92, 93, and so on, 100 being something seriously epic. Going past 100 would mean changing of the curve, too big of a change, i believe.

Edited by zigozag

why change the curve? just make it increasingly harder..... you know. since we have and likely will continue to play for many many years. capping out and just having a title is just... yay? Sure throw in new skills and make higher ones useful. Other wise we have more and more 90+ skill players and I see a serious lack of new blood.

23 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

why change the curve? just make it increasingly harder..... you know. since we have and likely will continue to play for many many years. capping out and just having a title is just... yay? Sure throw in new skills and make higher ones useful. Other wise we have more and more 90+ skill players and I see a serious lack of new blood.

Because it's hyperbole now with 100 set as asymptote and the 100 skill is a round-up mistake caused by the lack of decimals... right?

Edited by zigozag

I would like some special feature in skill 100.000000

But talking about skill 105 or 120? That would lead to change current way how skills progress. That would be really bad step, hurting all, who are already there or closing.

Curently I have 2 skills in range 99-100, and that skills are raising painfully slow even spending whole days working on them.

My friend worked long months somewhere around skill 99.999987, with really rare skill ticks +0.000001, well I could say rather supreme than rare.

How do you want to skill to 105? That would mean million years of everyday hardcore grinding and still you will be closer to 100 than to 105 ...