Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Wurm Featured as Top 3 Sandbox MMOs on pcgamer.com

It deserves a top spot in my view ;)

Also it's great its getting some publicity.

• Like 2

Only Notch is mentioned, ouch XD

Then again, cant hurt for them to promote this as one of the pre-minecraft games Notch worked on, will get a bit more attention that way.

• Like 1

who cares, wurm doesnt have issues with exposure, we get a lot of newbies every days they just never stay because its so bad 

• Like 1

At least they got the PvP games list right.

They didn't waste time trying to pander to the loud, yet miniscule and long forgotten FFA-PvP community of Mortal Online and Darkfall.

6 minutes ago, Dairuka said:

At least they got the PvP games list right.

They didn't waste time trying to pander to the loud, yet miniscule and long forgotten FFA-PvP community of Mortal Online and Darkfall.

And they sure did get them right tho, hahaha XDDD

I loved playing a melee class in the Realm vs Realms in GW2, nothing can top the PvP you experienced there.. I mean, all those AoEs, not ever fighting someone.. really 10/10 there.

Is ESO still Vampire Dominated?  I never really got into it because I saw 1 guy 1v10 and win.

PS2.. Vanu gets no recoil, TR gets double barrel tanks/chain guns, NC gets uhh... uhhhh.. 'MERICA.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

Before Minecraft turned him into a quadrillionaire, Markus "Notch" Persson made what is perhaps the most hardcore sandbox ever created.

Not like I want to be mean... but they kinda forgot that Wurm was created by two guys and one ran away with the idea that made him a quadrillionaire...

Also, not really sure I like the tone of the article about Wurm... but whatever.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Not like I want to be mean... but they kinda forgot that Wurm was created by two guys and one ran away with the idea that made him a quadrillionaire...

Also, not really sure I like the tone of the article about Wurm... but whatever.

lol well what they say makes wurm look bad for most people but its the truth,not their fault.

It might not always be fun to play, but there's a fascination with Wurm Online's mission to create a parallel to our own world in all its brilliance and tedium.

sounds terrible but its the truth

Edited by Tpikol

4 hours ago, Nicrolis said:

runescape... sandbox... wat?

The term tends to be abused a lot, yeah, same as for Ryzom.

The sandboxey **element** in Runescape is being able to make most things from scratch although gathering it is more themeparkish.  In Ryzom it's that the variety of materials is so huge, and that when crafting, using (to say it in Wurm terms) two supreme oak parts and a q15 pine part may yield better results than 3 supreme oak parts, allowing tons of stat combinations for the same piece.

So caveat emptor when searching for "sandbox" games, most will be themeparks with a very deep system in the mix, usually related to crafting (and/or a very clever but ultimately restrictive as hell housing system) and almost never to "setting up your own piece of land your way."    Those that speak of having persistent world generally stand a better chance at turning out to be a true sandbox.

(Edit: hell, even GTA:SA was described as a sandbox which it sure as heck ain't, despite being a truly good game).

All that said, about fu...dging time Wurm got some recognition for being one of the few TRUE sandboxes out there among the hundreds that claim to be so.  Only Minecraft and its clones come to mind... ... I suppose Eve counts as one too.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 2

Players have been working for years and many of their settlements remain little more than villages.

so, seems like people need to step up their game

They put a big emphasis in their article about Notch, Minecraft and how hard the game is. Which they would have said more about the game. Yah, it's not minecraft, but the new renderer (and a decent computer) make most of the graphism look nice, the possibilities have improved a lot during those last updates with the bridges, underground building and the rifts...

So meh, Wurm is no longuer made by Notch, the possibilities have increased up a notch... and the players involvement created something bigger than simple dirt huts on a Minecraft server.

• Like 1

Pretty sure lots of players played Wurm because Notch was one of the creators

speaking of true sanbox games i tend to think of Mercenaries series when i think sandbox for the old Xbox 360/PS3 that was a great game...

Hmm, do I sense some rather negative signals in some posts in this thread?

Anyway, I find it wonderful that game magazines and sites pop Wurm up. It is never bad for the game to have some advertisement like this, since I love this game and it deserves more attention than it may have now. :)

• Like 1

that's a very well written review.
kudos to PC Gamer

as for the mention of Notch.. they're talking to the planet. introducing the game for the first time, to many.
I think they did fine.. although they should have mentioned Rolf.

I added, to the comments, at the bottom of the page (not that it'll get read);

" Great review, very well written except for one thing.
You mentioned Notch but you failed to mention Rolf.
they were a team and are equally creditable... Rolf more so because he is the one that has developed it into what it is. Notch left to make MC

Notch himself said of the game;
`Co-created with Rolf Jansson many many years ago. Ended leaving the project when Rolf moved away and working together became more difficult.

I was more arrogant back in the day`
source: notch.net/games "

Edited by Steveleeb

4 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

that's a very well written review.
kudos to PC Gamer

as for the mention of Notch.. they're talking to the planet. introducing the game for the first time, to many.
I think they did fine.. although they should have mentioned Rolf.

I added, to the comments, at the bottom of the page (not that it'll get read);

" Great review, very well written except for one thing.
You mentioned Notch but you failed to mention Rolf.
they were a team and are equally creditable... Rolf more so because he is the one that has developed it into what it is. Notch left to make MC

Notch himself said of the game;
`Co-created with Rolf Jansson many many years ago. Ended leaving the project when Rolf moved away and working together became more difficult.

I was more arrogant back in the day`
source: notch.net/games "

Woah, Now thats new's to me, Notch actually left a reference to WO even after he removed it from minecraft.net

• Like 1