Sign in to follow this  
Huntar

Goodbye, from Echelon

(Thread music)

cwY626y.png

For about 5 years, since the birth of Deliverance, I remained Czar (Mayor) of Echelon, a deed which I had shown much neglect in the beginning, but soon grew into a sight of beauty and design.

idfvoMN.png

The story of Echelon isn't a particularly interesting one, many years of breaks, inactivity, etc had followed since its arrival to Deliverance.

But I'll tell it none-the-less, seeing as how the history is important to me.

And so it goes like this...

KdSrxSB.png

Back in 2011 I had heard word of a brand new server on Wurm, I spent about two years away from the game, long breaks playing things like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2, and numerous single player games I can't remember the names of, and thought of coming back to Wurm had intrigued me, much more so when I heard two individuals in my Ventrilo at the time speaking of playing on the new server, so I gave in. I hitched a ride from the south coast of Independence by a ferry of whose name I don't remember, alongside one of the soon-to-be co-founders of Echelon, Beelzeboss. From the 10 minute trip, to landing our feet onto the north coast of  Deli, our intentions had yet become clear. It was a new server, there was so much untouched land, new opportunities, and with much excitement we lept into them (The opportunities and land, that is).

That leap however, along proved to be our death. We were horribly under skilled, I wasn't premium, and my partner had only but 30 fighting to his name. This proved to be a challenge as we found ourselves in a seemingly endless forest of olive trees and aggressive fauna (Bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc.), many fights, bandages, and near death experiences followed, as out own in-experiences proved to be too much of an obstacle to continue. And with that obstacle, we opted to simply stay put, and settle.

It wasn't easy, however. We had no idea where we were, we were practically lost. There was no map, our compasses were complete trash, and the what appeared to be endless forest of olive trees blocked all view from a single tile in-front of us. It wasn't all bad though, things settled down once we had our mine and our home (Once we dealt with the mobs, that it is), construction on the outer walls soon began and our small settlement of just two players began to show signs of sophistication.

But we began showing signs of disinterest in the game, a month and a half of progress, and we decided to call it a break. After setting up our deed and finishing our home, we felt accomplished enough to call everything good. And so we left, one of us which would never return. And so begun my project to perfection.

I arrived back to the game in December 2013, spending much of my time refining the deed, grinding materials, bettering my skills as a player, pretty-fying up the deed itself. It was a long process, from the month-long chore of grinding concrete and slate slabs to beautifully pave all streets of Echelon with darkened slabs of slate to the hours on end spent reconstructing and refurbishing the deed via Deedplanner (So many thanks to Warlander for saving metric-tons of sweat). It took about a year and a half until I was satisfied with the deed, all mostly for myself a single other villager that remained active amonst the many that joined and promptly disappeared from existence.

The deed finally reached it's perfection, perfection that led to my sudden disinterest in the game. I got bored, I had no motivation to grind skills or do much of anything without an ultimate goal, that goal which was my project to perfection, had been reached. I had done everything I wanted. From the week long construction of the town-hall (I had to remake it three times), to the quiet, fire-lit, timberframe structure that became Sleeping Bears Inn. This deed was my pride and joy, not for much practical purpose, but for the eyes alone to see, to wander. I wanted something believable in this universe, not something constructed only by unsightly dirt-walls and uneven slopes. I wanted something that looked lived in, something that was just what I intended, believable.

And it was, mass amounts of decorations and to my own arrogance, perfectly placed lamps that glowed a cozy golden tint drew eyes agape and mouths open. Perhaps it wasn't the most practical, but it was to me, and many others, the most beautiful. I had people visit from neighboring servers, people stumbling onto the deed remarking how nice it looked, the compliments drove my satisfaction from my efforts, validation of those efforts, the appreciation I felt, I knew I had then accomplished just what I wanted.

To watch those efforts quickly demolished with the click of a finger, I felt, well, nothing. I can't be sure if I'm deep down disappointed, sad, or content with the decision. Either way. To the many that supported me throughout my journeys, struggles, and to the server itself, good bye, and thank you.

Kaih, your folks were almost too good to me in the beginning, and the tireless rambles of Odynn's alliance was welcome company (Aswell as the support given to my villagers).

Thank you, and good bye.

From Genocide/Huntar, Yoreh, and the various others that held homes in Echelon.

[20:33:21] It is 22:40:01 on day of Sleep in week 3 of the starfall of the Leaf in the year of 1058.

[20:33:21] The settlement of Echelon has just been disbanded by Genocide.

• Like 7

Sad to see you go, Bro, but I guess it has to happen eventually for us all. Take care in your future endevors!  o/

• Like 1

First of all, I only ramble half the time, i grind the other!

Sad to see you and the village go as I already said in the afore mentioned Ally chat. Good luck in your future endeavors and we will keep fond memories and trinkets of your time among us.

• Like 1

my friend wanted to know if he can have your stuff

Good luck in your travels, thanks for taking me in when I was new to Freedom.

• Like 1

I know how you feel, I sold Konoha recently as well. It's sad but life goes on, good luck Huntar!

Sad to see you go. Goodbye echolon. Good luck Huntar!