Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Extremely Long Term Suggestions

Some basic ideas for directions the game can take in the long term. I won't personally flesh them out right at this moment, because that can be done at a later date, this is more to give feedback on where the game can potentially go in the future.

Provide your own ideas, fleshed out or not. This is not a thread for small suggestions, but grand visions.

Also - this thread is in no way, shape or form official. It's a random curiosity from the hare brain of myself.

1) Quests in the overworld. Some starter ones to get people moving when joining the game which rewards basic tools (with a chance of very low enchantments). Custom ones for late game players. Player made ones for whoever feels like a questgiver, and have something for equal exchange. Everyone can ignore a quest if they feel it not worth it, or not in their game style. Times out after a certain time of nobody completing it, forcing questgiver to pay the listing price again.

2) Instances. Don't get me wrong here, I'm extremely happy that this game is not WoW. Wurm is Wurm, for all its flaws and perks. But it could do with some Developer made team (or solo) challenges one can do while bored. (Which leads me into the next suggestion....)

3) Guilds. May only be created by resources gained in instances. Gained resources may only be kept in instances. Can get perks with resources along the lines of leader boards for most hoarded resource, exclusive titles, skins for wagons/horses/etc. Generally things that don't really impact the game. (Which leads me to my next suggestion...)

4) Player made dungeons. Protect your guilds treasury by (literally getting the materials and) building traps, hiring protectors, being sneaky. Attempting to conquer a dungeon costs a certain amount of resources that instantly goes into the dungeon owners pockets. Winning grants you a percentage of the total accumulated resources in the treasure chest (plus your initial commission. the dungeon owner should never go positive upon losing). Failing returns you to your starting point, never losing any gear or skill, only your initial payment (and possibly karma). Before being able to submit a dungeon, the owners must be able to defeat it within the restrictions they themselves set;

* Theoretical max cap of time at 10-90 minutes depending on resource storage.

* Minimum Karma limit in personal storage to be able to run the dungeon depending on size. Karma lost when dying goes into guild storage that will not get looted. Appears in the form of liquid available to the guild master and those of that level of trust for distribution. (think of it as a reward for running a great dungeon)

* The larger resource storage, the more people can enter at the same time.

* Dungeon resets to original state after party leaves.

* Instance map size rentable by tile. Rent paid in resources.

* Dungeon mobs costs resource to hire and keep on the roster. (Which means they can drop things, as partial rewards even if you fail the dungeon, you can walk away with at least a little something)

* Replays of failures and victories available to concerned parties for reviewing.

* Remodeling a dungeon is 100% materials invested returned. You only need to provide it once. Difficult to build extraordinary creations, not punishing for wanting to remodel.

* If you don't have a protecting dungeon, then your storage can just keep on getting raided.

* Increasing percentage of resources lost in each successive successful raid by other guild or solo player.

* Instance lockdown for 24 hours after successful raid. Successful streak has 7 days until reset (just so you can't make a pain in the arse one that people have to keep on doing in succession on days they have other commitments)

5) Player levels. It's a fluff number for sure, but you can base quite a few limits on this, so I'd prefer to see it happen.

6) Auction house for single (low weight) items. Commission cost at 15% of sale price so merchants still have a use. Max of 5 or so items concurrently. A copper or so in listing price.

Ok, you got anything else? Comments?

Peace.

- J

• Like 2

More control over pet actions, reliance and options scaled on certain skills and animals' tamed level... allowing for people to use chickens to run trap interference.

Especially for player-made dungeons.

3 minutes ago, Klaa said:

More control over pet actions, reliance and options scaled on certain skills and animals' tamed level... allowing for people to use chickens to run trap interference.

Especially for player-made dungeons.

Pet training skill. But you'd have to lose them if they died. Wouldn't be too fun with infinite chicken of trap detection :P

Also, pressure/weight limit trigger traps. Get smacked. Also yes, trap detection skill, for those going the utility route. Each team needs to be versatile.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jberg said:

Pet training skill. But you'd have to lose them if they died. Wouldn't be too fun with infinite chicken of trap detection :P

Also, pressure/weight limit trigger traps. Get smacked. Also yes, trap detection skill, for those going the utility route. Each team needs to be versatile.

Can we get our Dwarf Fortress on and use Goblin slave labor to power our dungeons?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Can we get our Dwarf Fortress on and use Goblin slave labor to power our dungeons?

Also, it should be allowable to be cheeky as hell and set up a merchant selling healing stuff and weapons like "Cheers luv, getting your arse handed to ya?"

• Like 2

Get your lucky chickens here!

Guaranteed descent from the legendary Battle Chicken of Sye!

Instances and prebuilt quests really don't fit the mold of Wurm very much at all, sorry.

I'd like to make a long term suggestion also then: That Jberg logs in more often!

That aside, good to see you around J.

Hehe, Warlander played Rift, we got rifts.. Now Jberg played that game, which he described in point 4(so much in detail, that even replays included), sorry I forgot the name (but it had some very weird name "Yet another dungeon game" or something this style).

Hopefully noone from staff is playing actively EVE, or we get soon spaceships.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rixk said:

Hehe, Warlander played Rift, we got rifts.. Now Jberg played that game, which he described in point 4(so much in detail, that even replays included), sorry I forgot the name (but it had some very weird name "Yet another dungeon game" or something this style).

Hopefully noone from staff is playing actively EVE, or we get soon spaceships.

I ain't in control of anything. I'm making suggestions as a player of a direction I think would be fun. Make your own if you got any better. Also, inspiration is from this game;

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Instances and prebuilt quests really don't fit the mold of Wurm very much at all, sorry.

No need to lump things together and absolutely rule it out. Both instances and quests can have a profound impact on how the game plays towards the enjoyable side if done in moderation. I don't want a whole "you got to collect 5 million doodads to continue even playing the game", just some simple side grade quests that you can complete for cosmetic items or beginner gear. It can help a new player get in the swing of the game much easier, if they have a direct mean of guiding them throughout the initial "so this is a game wtf do I do now?" period that a *lot* of players go through.

• Like 2

Just a thought but are you trying to re-make the anime game from Overlord? i forget what its called but basically the whole suggestion board is basically that game... 

-Player made levels

-Player made dungeons

-Player made guilds

-Instancing? No idea

Only thing your missing is world artifacts that change the world- Oh wait

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akaedis said:

Just a thought but are you trying to re-make the anime game from Overlord? i forget what its called but basically the whole suggestion board is basically that game... 

-Player made levels

-Player made dungeons

-Player made guilds

-Instancing? No idea

Only thing your missing is world artifacts that change the world- Oh wait

Tell me that the game play functionality concept of Overlord isn't awesome tho. I dare you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jberg said:

Tell me that the game play functionality concept of Overlord isn't awesome tho. I dare you.

true true

Tho the game balance in that anime/game.... ho boy

• Like 1

People would prob be quite happy with personal designs on their tabards/flags/banners etc and it could tie into the below guild system.

7 hours ago, Jberg said:

3) Guilds. May only be created by resources gained in instances. Gained resources may only be kept in instances. Can get perks with resources along the lines of leader boards for most hoarded resource, exclusive titles, skins for wagons/horses/etc. Generally things that don't really impact the game. (Which leads me to my next suggestion...)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jberg said:

Some basic ideas for directions the game can take in the long term. ...

Awfully sorry, But I'd rather see none of these suggestions make it into Wurm. Sorry again.

Wurm is the game for people that don't like standard MMORPGs with their quests, instances and auction houses. And people that like standard MMORPGs don't play Wurm anyway.

3 hours ago, Eobersig said:

Awfully sorry, But I'd rather see none of these suggestions make it into Wurm. Sorry again.

Wurm is the game for people that don't like standard MMORPGs with their quests, instances and auction houses. And people that like standard MMORPGs don't play Wurm anyway.

1) That's a very overly harsh generalization. I play both and enjoy both for different aspects.

2) What's the harm in introducing something that is *completely* voluntary participation? I mean, if you want the functionality without participating we could probably do a cash shop that provides it to you, no harm in the devs selling cosmetics imo.

• Like 3

1) Quests in the overworld. Some starter ones to get people moving when joining the game which rewards basic tools (with a chance of very low enchantments). Custom ones for late game players. Player made ones for whoever feels like a questgiver, and have something for equal exchange. Everyone can ignore a quest if they feel it not worth it, or not in their game style. Times out after a certain time of nobody completing it, forcing questgiver to pay the listing price again.

I know of some players that tried to make quests for new players, with a (nice) prize to win when the quests is completed. What is missing for player made quests (pmq) is the ability to create scripted events, like there are on Gold Valley (instructions that pop up) and with the more recent treasure hunts. So perhaps you could give (trusted and veteran) players the ability to put one or more scripted events on the server they live on.

How can this be realised: suppose as player you want to make a pmq, then you start one, the server asking how many steps, what message per step, what action needs to be performed for the scripted event to pop up, what item should be handed out (need to be provided by the player that creates the quest). If this is 5 the player gets five ''tokens'', after which he uses these tokens on objects. ..... hmm, getting far to detailed already....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brocules said:

I know of some players that tried to make quests for new players, with a (nice) prize to win when the quests is completed. What is missing for player made quests (pmq) is the ability to create scripted events, like there are on Gold Valley (instructions that pop up) and with the more recent treasure hunts. So perhaps you could give (trusted and veteran) players the ability to put one or more scripted events on the server they live on.

How can this be realised: suppose as player you want to make a pmq, then you start one, the server asking how many steps, what message per step, what action needs to be performed for the scripted event to pop up, what item should be handed out (need to be provided by the player that creates the quest). If this is 5 the player gets five ''tokens'', after which he uses these tokens on objects. ..... hmm, getting far to detailed already....

Yes, absolutely something I'd love to see in the future :)

+1000000. Certainly to dungeons and events. "does not fit wurm...." yea seems neither does growth, or active fun. let's change that. Seems Wurm is largely based off Ultima online in many regards, played that for years... What I love about that game is any time I desire I jump into a dungeon and get my adventuring on. Wurm lacks that, which is why I take long breaks to play fun games. Need to add adventures and excitement. Rifts were an okay baby step. But few and far between. I'd love to  see month long events that I can participate in when I desire. Each month could have a different theme. Regardless if that is player made as Jberg suggests or staff made. Dungeons would indeed add active fun.

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

+1000000. Certainly to dungeons and events. "does not fit wurm...." yea seems neither does growth, or active fun. let's change that. Seems Wurm is largely based off Ultima online in many regards, played that for years... What I love about that game is any time I desire I jump into a dungeon and get my adventuring on. Wurm lacks that, which is why I take long breaks to play fun games. Need to add adventures and excitement. Rifts were an okay baby step. But few and far between. I'd love to  see month long events that I can participate in when I desire. Each month could have a different theme. Regardless if that is player made as Jberg suggests or staff made. Dungeons would indeed add active fun.

I think dungeons and other similar things would be very interesting especially on a PvP concept, where players store their wealth, but also can have it raided.  More than just a catapult away kind of thing.

I can see why people say "it doesn't fit Wurm", but actually... it does. Wurm is special because almost everything in Wurm is made by players and can be changed by players. Anything that supports players making player made things does fit, in my opinion.

That said, I would somewhat adjust the suggestions.

1. Quests: Yes, please! Quests for new characters are awesome and would certainly make the start in Wurm easier. For experienced players I'd rather see more options for player organized quests, like a form of notice/available quest browsing ingame, where you can list your quest with a short description. This could range from "make 500 mortar" to "explore the top of dragon fang on Independence!"

2. Instances: I would say no. It would destroy that "open world" feeling, where everything is really there, in the world. Of course, there's also magic, that would explain instances that are not in the world, and now there are rifts. What about jumping in some of these rifts and bringing the battle back to those that attack us? That'd be awesome!

3. Guilds: Actually, I don't like the system that you discribe. I would prefer to have it a lot simpler. Have a group of friends that are not in the same deed or alliance? Form a guild with them! Wurm already is a social game, even more social options would be nice. The group system we have is pretty useless for more than a new chat.

4. Player made dungeons: Isn't that, kind of, already doable ingame? We could mine a dungeon, tame critters and place them in there, we can even create and enchant awesome prices! I'd rather see more options here too instead of a whole new system that would make the Wurm world feel less player created. More ways to place loot, special chests to create... building in mines definitely is a good start!

5. Player levels: Hmm, not really necessary, could give an indicator on how powerful someone is, but... it also has it's charme if you can't see that. Personally I like it as it is. Could also make it optional to show.

6. Auction house: Please no. There are more than enough ways to trade. Although a better mailing system (mail more items at once, mail larger items) and shorter travels (boats getting faster with ql for example) would be nice. We already have traders too where you can place and sell your stuff to other people.

Additional thoughts:
- Mercenary-Npcs! Similar to guards and spirit templars, with the ability to equip them. But there should be a way to give them rudimantary orders, like stay here and guard this, attack animals or players, walk patrol here, guard this person. Could place them in a created dungeon to fight players or help them. Shouldn't be too expensive on pve-servers, not sure about pvp here. (might be a nice addition to go out and explore alone too?) Maybe you could just ask a guard from a guard tower to follow you around and help you as long as you are in a specific range of the guard's tower?