Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rift #3 - You know the drill.

Alright. Well, we had some different views on the #2 rift. And you probably remember how disappointed I was.

Today was another matter. Even if I dozed off before the rift opening and missed the first 2 waves, I was at least able to get in the last one. And I must say I wasn't disappointed with the amount of opponents still around. The scaling did work perfectly and we had enough foes for everyone... and the challenge going with it.

As well, and maybe due to the scalling, I managed to get a proper rank (72  Odynn (phenomenal!)) and some rewards unlike the last time. From what I've seen rewards seemed to have been fairly distributed this round.

It's still worth noting that the rift didn't closed when we slayed every creatures of the last wave (and we had to sacc hearts to close it). We got the same 0.25 kg seryll reward for closing it. (Which might be balanced if those rifts are opening every 9 days).

Also note worthy, the appearance of mycelium and tundra in the rift area, nothing against it but maybe we should have a rift specific ground texture which would revert back to the old area once finishing it. Without libilla, mycelium doesn't fit well on freedom... and as for tundra, I'm still fearing the day when a rift will appear in what's left of it on Deliverance and instantly destroy 2/3 or it without any decent possibilities of repair.

Now some thoughts (again)... Please for the love of jackal give us a mean to know when will the rift open... either by examining, tracking or using a rift heart on the light beacon tile. Nothing is better than a timer to set up your alarm clock.

Rift decorations : as said before, allow us to use them in a way or another... you can mine ada boulders on chaos... why not mine rifts crystals as well.

TL;DR : Starting to look like the fun feature promised, keep the good work guys.

• Like 2

Didn't participate this time.. But I have been thinking the same about tundra. Those large patches of tundra, which rift would wipe out when it appeared there, would take years to heal.

I bet devs will not place a rift on tundra.

Yes, was a much better show this time.  I still want love for healers and maybe some thought put into damage done, damage taken and healing done, as a way for gaining status in the battle.  But for general fighting, this round was great.  Plenty for all.  Even on foot, I was able to get both my fighters to phenomenal, without playing tag.  Just took my two healers to 10 kills to get their lumps and then left them on the outside.

I was not able to attend this time but I appreciate the scaling and according to Odynn it works properly and loot seemed to be more evenly dispersed. Those were my two main complaints. In my book Rifts are great as they are but could do with a few touch ups like the decorations being usable. I also like the idea of the rift timer from using a rift heart on athe beacon tile or examining the beacon tile. 

The scaling worked very well, good on the devs. First wave felt light, second wave was a big surprise and drive us clear back to the encampment! I never felt any need to play tag, but a few tests seemed to indicate it was still the fastest way to go up the participation chart. Battle ran a bit over 2 hours total, which I think was just right.

Loot still feels disconnected from participation, which just doesn't feel right. The first idea that pops into my mind would be a "sack of rift loot" that appears in your inventory at each level of participation past minimal, even if rewards are still the same. So a "Decent Sack of Rift Loot", a "Good Sack of Rift Loot" and a "Phenomenal Sack of Rift Loot". Just as a way of showing that the system isn't entirely arbitrary and your participation does matter.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

loot seemed to be more evenly dispersed

no, still seems to be random, and entirely arbitrary. some of the loot seems to be distributed on the copses, so simply down to how fast you are at grabbing them - nothing random - all about having fast reactions, and being in the right place. Pure luck.

So, another rift with only a seryll lump. Fight skill from the rift was nothing special, got about the same from journey home.

My current thought is that they are really not worth the effort. Especially on a server the size of Xanadu, probably far better to hop to another server and find one with easier access. Actually finding the rift, it seems to be only visible for about 5km and can easily hide behind the tall mountains, is probably as much if not more fun that the rift itself.

That aside, the scaling of the numbers appears to have worked, though I remember thinking there were simply spawned in duplicates as there were many identical of the same type next to each other. So, the spawning mechanics might want looking at, to improve the distribution across the rift. The battle ran for just over the hour, probably a bit short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

mycelium doesn't fit well on freedom

Myc rapidly decays on PVE servers, it should all be gone in a day or so.

Well, scaling worked well, if anything we can handle even harder stuff :P (but most probably won't like that)...and it was way more FUN

BUT drops are a joke.

Being first with 87 participation, second place at quite some distance (80) and getting nothing but the seryll, while others got 2-3 shoulder pads is a complete slap in the face...I didn't get anything the last time either -IN FACT i never gotten anything from the rifts.....

And mind you, I did not go around tagging critters, I fought them one by one

I agree that drops should be random BUT for crying out loud, the first x (10?) people in participation SHOULD get at least ONE thing guaranteed (besides the useless lump) - I mean heck, what is the point to send your main to this if you have the same chance as someone swinging? I can just send an alt to swing and get the same chance as on my main...that is not even remotely fair - I actually worked for my skills, did not buy characters, yet i got the same chance as a freebie alt I just created?

Please address this big issue

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thorakkanath said:

Well, scaling worked well, if anything we can handle even harder stuff :P (but most probably won't like that)...and it was way more FUN

BUT drops are a joke.

Being first with 87 participation, second place at quite some distance (80) and getting nothing but the seryll, while others got 2-3 shoulder pads is a complete slap in the face...I didn't get anything the last time either -IN FACT i never gotten anything from the rifts.....

And mind you, I did not go around tagging critters, I fought them one by one

I agree that drops should be random BUT for crying out loud, the first x (10?) people in participation SHOULD get at least ONE thing guaranteed (besides the useless lump) - I mean heck, what is the point to send your main to this if you have the same chance as someone swinging? I can just send an alt to swing and get the same chance as on my main...that is not even remotely fair - I actually worked for my skills, did not buy characters, yet i got the same chance as a freebie alt I just created?

Please address this big issue

Same here. I don't tag creatures. I fight them one by one. I have worked for my skills and have not bought a character before. 

12 minutes ago, Thorakkanath said:

I was second one on this Rift and I got bracelet of inspiration (currently broken, but at least I got something).

Loot is obviously something to look into. Maybe do it semi-random with first 5 people being guaranteed to get something? Sure it's gonna give vet players an advantage, but lets face it - without them (us) noobs wouldn't close the rift at all. Not with that number and strength of mobs.

Top 10 might be too much IMO. Also leave current random system, just give those "extra" awards for TOP 5 after Rift is closed (maybe instead of lump?).

The rift was fun, I got a nice seryll lump (currently enjoying its new life as some rings) and a QL25 shortsword bracelet (currently packed away till I find a shortsword user).

The loot reminded me of a fun occurence on maplestory: myself and my friends spent 4 hours hunting nependeath honey (0 drops in 4 hours, the RNG was hating us that day), some guy walkes onto the map, gets one kill and gets the drop.  It's frustrating and didn't really improve our disposition to our fellow man.  A less random system would be nice (say 1 token per participation point to use to get various items from any deed token).

The trouble is that, as a healer, I was running around that battlefield (with 3 other healers) doing my damnest to keep folks in one piece.  Participation points earned for that :- 0  A system in place that makes healing actions count as participation would be nice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

The trouble is that, as a healer, I was running around that battlefield (with 3 other healers) doing my damnest to keep folks in one piece.  Participation points earned for that :- 0  A system in place that makes healing actions count as participation would be nice.

Absolutely! One solution I know of is that if you heal (or buff) someone who has tagged a monster, it also gives the healer the tag. I don't know enough about Wurm healing outside first aid to know if this would be easily abused, but encouraging more healers to show up/be made doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

4 hours ago, Odynn said:

some rewards unlike the last time. From what I've seen rewards seemed to have been fairly distributed this round.

Not sure about that,this was the second rift where I, and a bunch of others got absolutely nothing but the seryll at the end, and I was in first on the /rift board. The loot distribution still needs tweaking. Even though I did get nothing the scaling was excellent, there were a few times as a group we had to make for the border and regroup, it was a lot of fun. I like that we have something now that will put you on your arse if you're not careful.

Edited by Pride
  • Like 1

One of reasons of this weird loot situation might be removal of loot from mobs summoned by Summoners. I understand devs' intent to prevent farming a single RIft for endless loot, but it's very unfair, because somebody has to fight those summons and they must be rewarded for it. Currently, i'm afraid, a lot of beasts are not supposed to give loot, however they pose a serious threat due to their numbers and special conditions.

Just a guess.

Edited by zigozag

I was there before it started but couldn't keep my head up to stay, so I logged off...

2 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

some of the loot seems to be distributed on the copses, so simply down to how fast you are at grabbing them

The message is silly, you have an event message around saying <player> grab <something> from the corpse of <monster>. In fact there is nothing on the corpse and the items appear directly in your inventory.

1 hour ago, Thorakkanath said:

the first x (10?) people in participation SHOULD get at least ONE thing guaranteed (besides the useless lump)

you can't prevent people from abusing it by playing tag and be first.

1 hour ago, Pride said:

Not sure about that,this was the second rift where I, and a bunch of others got absolutely nothing but the seryll at the end, and I was in first on the /rift board. The loot distribution still needs tweaking.

Well, that's the main reason of this thread after all, to provide some feedback (if a dev want to read it).

I was riding by the seat of my pants by the end of round 2 and through round 3. The last rift, I brought cotton home and never used a healing cover. So this time I brought only 5kg of cotton and 5 covers. It wasn't enough. :lol: Thanks to the long list of people who patched me up three times!

This rift bloodied and scattered us and we had to regroup to plan and coordinate our attacks to regain the battlefield. I'm not sure how many were there, but it was a pretty good sized group and the teamwork was awe inspiring to me. People left the fight to heal others who were about to die. Others kited things around to make a wake for the group to fight in. Others separated a target or two out and brought them to a place where it was not pandemonium. 

It was the best fight in Wurm I think I have been to. Fighting until you are hanging on a heartbeat then retreating and hoping you beat the death tick... intense. I didn't score very good, scoring only 50, but I got the prize I was after. A seryll lump. I hope to have a plate set of it eventually.

• Like 1

This is supposed to mimic a disaster of sorts. The area being torn up is part of the event. I do believe however that people should be able to clean up and rebuild the area ( community event)

But my house did not go back to normal after the Troll King bashed thru, so why would you expect any other creature damage to self heal.

Glad to hear the scaling worked as intended and everyone had a bit more fun this time around :). Might be looking at something for the first wave too now.

I have some plans for the decorations around the rift area, that should be coming in the next weeks.

The loot chances on scaling rifts we'll have to have a look into, though it sounds like if some are getting 2-3 drops and you getting none, you might just be getting super unlucky. I don't want to make the final rift closing rewards overly-good, simply because these rifts are going to be fairly common as time goes on, but we can certainly look into how they scale with the participation point.

I noticed someone mentioned that healing should give participation - it already does and has since day one. Most participation points require you to be within the Rift zone though, so if you are well outside of the danger and just healing people as they retreat, you won't be getting any. This include fighting fyi, I noticed on Indy last night that everyone was dragging the mobs to the very edge of the Rift zone to kill them easier - just keep in mind if you are outside of the zone you probably won't get participation points for the kill.

• Like 1

So if you can't use /rift, you aren't getting credit?

3 hours ago, Budda said:

This include fighting fyi, I noticed on Indy last night that everyone was dragging the mobs to the very edge of the Rift zone to kill them easier - just keep in mind if you are outside of the zone you probably won't get participation points for the kill.

Interesting - I assume that the zone is the area which you can't pack before the rift opens. It was also notable that the mobs will drag outside that area, so it fairly natural tendency to fight them just outside the rift area, just inside the point most of them will detach and return towards the center, at around 2 tiles outside the area that can't be packed. Some of them will hold aggression even further out. Given the density of the mobs at some points, this seems to be a fairly natural way of fighting BUT something to remember for the next rift.

5 hours ago, Odynn said:

In fact there is nothing on the corpse and the items appear directly in your inventory.

That is what I thought - but there are reports of items not appearing until the corpse is butchered - at least one of that happening after a wave has completed (from the first rift).

2 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

That is what I thought - but there are reports of items not appearing until the corpse is butchered - at least one of that happening after a wave has completed (from the first rift).

I had rewards both on live and test servers for mobs I helped to kill. But since Budda is around, he might be able to enlighten us on that one.

Another point raised to the man :

6 hours ago, Budda said:

we can certainly look into how they scale with the participation point.

I don't know if there is a way for the participation score to represent the investment of the players, some are tanking, some are healing, some are damage dealing... and others are just running around targeting everything. When the first comportment bring the community together, the later brew tension within the community about those "leeches who are bringing nothing to the fight" (nota : not my wording, but the one starting to spead).

So if the rewards are more and more based on the participation score, please find a way to make it fair for everyone involving themselves while preventing abuses and points farming.

---

On another note, quite glad to see stories of cooperative game-play brought to light, epic fights and team work. This is what I was expecting from the rifts and it's more and more going that way. (ie. some fighting content allowing players to band together against an AI instead of pitting them against each others).

12 hours ago, Budda said:

I noticed someone mentioned that healing should give participation - it already does and has since day one. Most participation points require you to be within the Rift zone though, so if you are well outside of the danger and just healing people as they retreat, you won't be getting any. This include fighting fyi, I noticed on Indy last night that everyone was dragging the mobs to the very edge of the Rift zone to kill them easier - just keep in mind if you are outside of the zone you probably won't get participation points for the kill.

I'm wondering if this is why my archery experiment was completely ineffective (zero participation gain). I may have been outside the Rift zone when I gave it a try. It may be that shortbow is the only effective archery skill before the Rift is almost over, then. Which would kinda suck since I have a shortbow of 1.3 and already hit the archery practice cap. :(

I got no archery credit either, (76 hits too!)  I'll be trying a short bow on the next one for sure.

Do you even get credit for just tagging?

If so make it , that you need to land a hit to get credit/loot chance drop from that mob.

This last round i did get shoulders and seryll at the end , other rifts was just seryll , like most RNG its pure luck..

Adding a point system to the rifts will make lower and characters/players not even bother to go , as they would feel they have no chance at anything before the mob dies.

There should be a chance that the hounds drop item , even if small , give reason for people to kill them.

I love them myself , there handy for heals using LT weapon.

Overall the mob spawn was perfect , even had some go pass there border limit chasing me down.