Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

[Bug] Lock on military tent goes invalid

Crossed over from Xanadu to Independence with a locked military tent in inventory.

When I got to where I was headed, I dropped the tent and noticed I couldn't open it, and got this message on examine:

[21:02:41] It looks like the lock has nearly rusted away, it should be replaced.

From WU code it looks like this is an exception-handling message for when the server can't find the lock associated with the tent.

Replacing the lock resolved the issue.

The tent did not become unlocked; it essentially became unusable until the lock was replaced.

I have no idea whether or not another player would have been able to replace the lock himself.

Aye unfortunately locked containers can get wonky on server crossings.

A longstanding issue that GMs are able to help out with ingame thru /support.

This bug has been around for ages. Don't cross server borders with locked tents - often the lock will stay on the old server and you will need a GM to fix it.

Word to the wise, Unlock the container so that the lock is in your inventory, then cross the server then relock the container.

Problem Solved

3 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

Word to the wise, Unlock the container so that the lock is in your inventory, then cross the server then relock the container.

Problem Solved

I'm reporting this as a bug because it's a bug. I'm aware that there are workarounds.

Added this thread as a reminder to our existing bug that is open.

Gathering up all the locked items/boats becoming unlocked when crossing servers then the locks appearing again after returning to original server into one place.  This bug has been on the list for a while and is still open, so I'm going to add it to the new known issue list so that others don't have to search the whole forum:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147333-known-bugs-since-the-13-update/

Other threads regarding the same issue:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135513-tents-losing-locks/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/111886-small-chest-lock-bug/

On 2/26/2017 at 0:38 AM, Alectrys said:

Gathering up all the locked items/boats becoming unlocked when crossing servers then the locks appearing again after returning to original server into one place.  This bug has been on the list for a while and is still open, so I'm going to add it to the new known issue list so that others don't have to search the whole forum:

I think it doesn't behave the same for ships. You do not need to cross back to the other server before it becomes locked again. From what I understand from others about "rusted" tent locks, it seems the unlocked status for ships lasts less. Moreover, I seem to notice the particular behavior noted in the now-closed bug report that: there seems to be some code implemented checking locks for ships, after "some time" from crossing, and (re-)locking them. I am not aware of such behavior for tents, so from what I see, looks like a particular piece of code on ships or vehicles.

If this is the case, that piece of code can be tweaked to do its checks sooner, like immediately after appearing on the new server, and that would seem good enough for ships.

While definitely related to the buggy behavior of locks for tents, it looks like a different bug or solution.

Pleaaaaase can we see if we can get this fixed this summer?

Still on the bug list. I retested today to confirm it's still an issue and added test results again.

Was able to produce this warning by putting my backpack in a forge, then placing a tent with a rusted lock in the backpack and then taking the backpack into my inventory. The backpack had a size rune, if that matters.

[12:48:59] The target item is locked but the lock could not be found. Rejecting move request.

Still having issues with tents, mine keeps unlocking upon server crossings. Had couple different messages appear, either is completely unlocked but when i try locking says the padlock already in use, sometimes just replaces the one that is on (eventhough it says unlocked) and other times this This is the standard tent for military actions. It has a lock of very poor quality, which is unlocked. The name of the owner, Zoranah, has been etched on a pole. And the last time it got unlocked i stopped getting the Unlock or Attach Lock option alltogether. Pretty frustrating ?

This is still on the list and not fixed yet.  With tents, it's a good idea to unlock them when crossing servers, then relock them when you arrive.  A pain, but it stops the bad messages and inability to use the tent on the destination server.

• Like 1

First I've seen this thread, too late apparently for me.  Here goes..

about 4-5 days ago I created a tent on Celebration and I stuffed it into my horse's saddle bags.  I unequipped it's gear but never removed the tent from the bags.   Crossed with the horse and gear, tent still in bags, to deli then later chaos and back again to cele.  Entire time, never removed the tent from the bags, never placed on ground.  Fast forward to today's rift on cele, I dropped it at the rift sight and all a sudden no one owns it.  "You may not loot that item".  I can't pickup, manage, hitch,  or open it.

Was it locked, Nomad?

And, was it locked by an alt, by any chance?

1 minute ago, Anarres said:

Was it locked, Nomad?

And, was it locked by an alt, by any chance?

It was locked with the default 1.00ql? lock from creation, I myself created it

1 minute ago, Anarres said:

Right... Can you paste the examine perhaps?

[13:38:00] This is the standard tent for military actions. It is locked with a lock of very poor quality. Ql: 27.60852, Dam: 0.0.

[13:38:00] You drop a "Stonehaven War Tent".

[13:38:02] You may not loot that item.

• Like 1

Just wanted to throw this up, I've never met this CM but he/she was determined to help me out.  Great player/staff and really appreciate the help.

Spoiler

[13:23:27] <Serraphine> Hello, CM responding to your support call 81852.
[13:23:33] <Nomadikhan> o/
[13:23:43] <Serraphine> When you examine does it list you as the owner?
[13:23:51] <Nomadikhan> It doesn't list an owner at all
[13:23:56] <Nomadikhan> doesn't show that line
[13:24:04] <Serraphine> who created it?
[13:24:11] <Nomadikhan> I did, 4-5 days ago
[13:24:14] <Serraphine> and do you have a spare lock on you?
[13:24:21] <Nomadikhan> I don't
[13:24:25] <Nomadikhan> I'm at the cele rift
[13:24:41] <Serraphine> you came over from another server correct?
[13:24:56] <Nomadikhan> I created it, stuffed it in a horse saddle pack, crossed to deli, chaos, then back to cele... never took it out
[13:25:03] <Nomadikhan> until an hour ago to drop at the rift
[13:25:08] <Nomadikhan> and now i don't own it, no one does
[13:25:59] <Serraphine> yea, the current suggested thing is to unlock your tent before crossing as the lock "breaks" frequently on server crossing
[13:26:18] <Nomadikhan> I'd not  heard of that, never saw it mentioned anywhere.. I guess now I know
[13:27:13] <Serraphine> can you add your info to this post again, to poke  the  nest again: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/142049-bug-lock-on-military-tent-goes-invalid/&do=findComment&comment=1669201
[13:27:29] <Nomadikhan> Sure thing
[13:28:38] <Serraphine> I think that I can have a gm give you the tent and when you sail back to created server you can replace the lock to fix it.
[13:29:03] <Serraphine> are you next to it now?
[13:29:18] <Nomadikhan> I'm near it yeah, I also created it on Cele, this server
[13:29:35] <Nomadikhan> Heavy fighting near it atm, i placed it too close
[13:29:49] <Serraphine> I don't have a lock for you test it give me a few minutes
[13:29:59] <Nomadikhan> Ok, thanks for the help :)
[13:31:04] <Serraphine> Stonehaven War Tent, is that the correct one?
[13:31:39] <Nomadikhan> Yep!
[13:31:48] <Nomadikhan> i'm at the entrance to it
[13:31:57] <Nomadikhan> on stonehaven warhorse
[13:35:56] <Serraphine> can you try picking it up now?
[13:36:02] <Nomadikhan> sure thing
[13:36:22] <Nomadikhan> [13:36:17] You may not loot that item.
[13:36:32] <Serraphine> hang n a sec
[13:36:33] <Nomadikhan> I can push, pull tho
[13:37:07] <Serraphine> back out a little so I can give it to you
[13:37:30] <Nomadikhan> \o/
[13:37:41] <Serraphine> see if you can drop it and lock it, I gave you the lock back also
[13:38:16] <Nomadikhan> hehe, I dropped but now [13:38:02] You may not loot that item.
[13:38:22] <Nomadikhan> it was already locked
[13:39:12] <Serraphine> ownership on those tents are horrible to transfer let me see what I can do. i'll let you knw when I need to you out of thwe group again
[13:39:21] <Nomadikhan> ok, thanks so much
[13:44:35] <Serraphine> I'm going to see if I can get a lock for you to try to replace it with. it doesn't list you as owner so it might not work. but it's worth a try
[13:44:45] <Nomadikhan> alrighty
[13:47:15] <Serraphine> hmm, I took itto another server removed the lock again and it now shows unlocked. but I don't want to crash the server do you still have a small padlock in inventory from when I gave it to you. or bec
[13:47:32] <Serraphine> because it was a shadow is it gone now?
[13:47:49] <Nomadikhan> I don't see a lock in my inventory, don't think one ever showed up
[13:48:09] <Serraphine> okay then will come back and see if it locks when I return
[13:48:18] <Nomadikhan> ok
[13:48:20] <Serraphine> or Tarissa will anyway :P
[13:48:29] <Nomadikhan> lol
[13:49:07] <Nomadikhan> soooooo much butchering skill here today
[13:54:51] <Nomadikhan> ok i see tent and a lock!
[13:54:59] <Serraphine> try dropping it and replacing lock
[13:56:15] <Nomadikhan> I dropped, but inside inven and now on the ground, i don't have a replace lock option
[13:56:27] <Nomadikhan> and once again, that message lol, cannot loot that item
[13:56:34] <Nomadikhan> still have lock in my inventory
[13:57:29] <Serraphine> try again to lock it
[13:57:42] <Nomadikhan> ok
[13:58:26] <Nomadikhan> I don't have any option to unlock or replace
[13:58:39] <Nomadikhan> No Target, Take, Place, Move, Bash, Emotes
[13:59:27] <Serraphine> it used to be I could destroy the old lock and you could replace it. one of the "fixes" seems to of made it even tougher to fix then it used to be
[13:59:39] <Nomadikhan> oh wow
[14:00:16] <Serraphine> let me go look up a old recent "case" of this and see how they fixed it
[14:00:26] <Nomadikhan> alrighty
[14:02:56] <Serraphine> try again to drop and lock, please
[14:03:00] <Nomadikhan> ooh, i have option to attach lock inside inven now
[14:03:06] <Nomadikhan> drop first or try inven?
[14:03:13] <Serraphine> in inventory is finr
[14:03:17] <Serraphine> fine
[14:03:23] <Nomadikhan> [14:03:17] You lock the "Stonehaven War Tent" with the small padlock.
[14:03:29] <Nomadikhan> [14:03:25] This is the standard tent for military actions. It is locked with a lock of poor quality. The name of the owner, Nomadikhan, has been etched on a pole.
[14:03:33] <Nomadikhan> success!?
[14:03:35] <Serraphine> okay \o/
[14:03:42] <Nomadikhan> [14:03:38] You drop a "Stonehaven War Tent".
[14:03:47] <Nomadikhan> [14:03:44] You get a "Stonehaven War Tent".
[14:03:48] <Serraphine> sucess drop and pick up just to be sure before I close it out
[14:03:51] <Serraphine> sweet!
[14:04:00] <Nomadikhan> Very awesoome, thank you!

[14:05:17] <Serraphine> good adventures \o and for now just unlock tent when crossing servers. till a fix is done.

[14:05:36] <Nomadikhan> I sure will, thanks again.  I really appreciate all the help :)

[14:05:49] <Serraphine> your welcome

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

I made the replacement harder then it needed to be ?  If I hadn't of picked up the tent the simple lock replacement should of worked.  So the extra work was my own doing. 

And even tho I took the ticket with my CM, I did the work with my GM. And as always all the spelling mistakes are my own ?

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 2:19 PM, Ohana said:

I made the replacement harder then it needed to be ?  If I hadn't of picked up the tent the simple lock replacement should of worked.  So the extra work was my own doing. 

And even tho I took the ticket with my CM, I did the work with my GM. And as always all the spelling mistakes are my own ?

But your customer service and patience was top notch and very much appreciated :)