Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Am I ungrateful?

I guess this is yet another lesson, which has become especially important as Wurm's playerbase has gotten younger and more unhinged over time:

Never promise anything, never set precedents, never hint at gifts. Server goes down? Oh look, Rolf gave people sleep bonus as compensation! Cool! That was totally unexpected and generous of him. But do it three or four more times and suddenly it's "why didn't you give us notice?! I had 4 hours of SB that I didn't have a chance to burn" or "why didn't we get SB for this downtime? ###### you, Code Club! You owe me for my lost playtime!"

The same entitlement is showing now. People get something for free -- one of several anniversary gifts that we'll be receiving, mind you -- and it's not up to snuff with whatever standards they've concocted from a few vague lines of text in a Weekly News thread. Rather than celebrating the 10 year anniversary with grace, accepting the gifts that we're given, and waiting to see what this weekend's events have in store, we have to turn this milestone into yet another pity party about all of the poor oppressed players not getting the "right" gift, like a child stamping his feet on Christmas day because he didn't get the XBox he asked for.

It's depressing. I started playing Wurm right after it went gold, so this also marks my ten-year anniversary playing Wurm. And this is not the Wurm I knew ten years ago.

• Like 4

I guess everyone should have gotten fantastic items and chests of gold.  Probably still complain then.
The gifts I got where not the greatests, but hey, my WS skill sucks so a couple high ql leather knives will come in handy down the road, saves me from having to send mine off to get imped for awile anyway.

Noones asking for every item to be OP insane things for everyone. But it's not much to ask that it be something remotely unique is it?

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

i get only acid potion.... i wish sleep bonus way more...   but now im realy ungreateful

• Like 1

Well for my remaining two prem chars (I've stopped premming the other 3 several months back) all I got was 2 SP. 

I'm not outraged like some but I will say that I'm dissapointed. I feel as though the base reward should have been something that even if it had no practical use could atleast have be an aesthetic item which when worn or placed on the ground on your deed sorted said "Hey I was around for the 10yr anniversary" something that could be kept and cherished. Instead now I've got two consumable items which mean nothing. 

Not mad, just dissapointed. 

• Like 13

Loot Boxes suck.

I'm still hoping they'll throw 5 hours sleep bonus onto the pile, just to placate the whiners though. ;)

He didn't have to give us anything it's something free that you didn't have before.

The biggest issue I have with it, is the fact a random loot box is like winning the lottery for a select few random  people and six pack of  warm beer for most.

With people being able to sell the higher end items for over 1 gold in game currency, that doesn't seem right to me due to the fact that this was a monumental milestone for a game of this caliber.

I agree with some of the others Rolf should have given everyone the same badass item commemorating the event like a 100 ql glimmersteel helmet or shoulder pads.

just my two irons on the matter.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Edzwarr said:

I agree with some of the others Rolf should have given everyone the same badass item commemorating the event like a 100 ql glimmersteel helmet or shoulder pads.

just my two irons on the matter.

next time rolf should just give everyone sleep powder, or nothing at all, if you think of it that way. stop crying because you got bad RNG.
nobody had to give you anything, that's why it's a gift

10 minutes ago, Stik said:

next time rolf should just give everyone sleep powder, or nothing at all, if you think of it that way. stop crying because you got bad RNG.

Did you read the first sentence ? That's the point I was making,  go lick the window a bit more.

11 minutes ago, Stik said:

Do you really think there should have been rng in the first place, with the difference between gifts this large? I personally think it was very hyped up on the website and it made it seem like everyone was going to get something unique or special with some lucky people getting something more special. If you hype something that much then you cannot be too surprised if they're dissapointed, like I wrote earlier.

• Like 1

All of the irritation is no surprise. Never in all these years since 2007 have i ever seen them give gifts that made anyone happy. And you always have the people that say appreciate what you get.  Screw that. Why should i appreciate a crappy gift, When i'm paying real money to play this game.  And waiting for ages for bugs to get fixed.  Like the friggin lighting system.

No, I did not like the stupid gifts. And no i don't appreciate them.

How about i buy myself a new wallet, And mail the generic corporate photo that comes with it to code club, And expect them to thank me for it?  I don't think they would.

So in answer to the original question, These gifts are useless trash, Sell them as quick as you can, And try to forget about being insulted.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Xallo said:

I also think that my alt that hasn't been prem for a year with only 15 days of in-game time shouldn't get a better present than my main, or another account with over 8 full years of non-stop premium.

But thanks anyway, I guess! :)

I cant seem to wrap my head around this one either. Most games its the other way around. I guess its to drive up alt subs.

I aint complaining, but for me the anticipated 10y anniversary "just happened", resulting with some extra sleep powders (which I already amass almost hundred in my pocket) and extra glimmer lump that will be gathering dust in my LMC for the subsequent years and act as a remainder that "Wurm had 10y anniversary" whenever I look into the LMC.

Despite not complaining, I did call these gifts "dull" in our ally chat. Quickly to add that they are still gifts and gifts are awesome. Awesome and Dull are not exclusive, so awesome gift can be dull. Like when my parents packaged wool socks in awesome Lego spaceship box when I was child. Really mean, really. But my parents did great job preparing me to be a goood wurmian.

I cant wait for the next xmas, we might actually get wool socks after all this wool-sock-talk.

but i do complaining and i dont care :D   every xmas gift we get was better then this stinky acid potion....   its like 10 wurm years means nothing to rolf and team...    Pot of green flooowers will be way better 

• Like 1

Aye, the Xmas gifts are always better, they might be sold, but everyone have the same... and they are a worthy memento. A golden hat gnome would have been perfect too for this birthday (and staying in the Wurm theme).

As for being an ungrateful jerk... I got an answer on my in-game ticket for the missing returning gifts... Which of course were well, returning gifts I paid for, but I'm thankful for the help the staff is still providing after all these years.

Kudos to them and thanks again Kishar.

9 hours ago, Fawkes said:

The same entitlement is showing now. People get something for free -- one of several anniversary gifts that we'll be receiving, mind you -- and it's not up to snuff with whatever standards they've concocted from a few vague lines of text in a Weekly News thread. Rather than celebrating the 10 year anniversary with grace, accepting the gifts that we're given, and waiting to see what this weekend's events have in store, we have to turn this milestone into yet another pity party about all of the poor oppressed players not getting the "right" gift, like a child stamping his feet on Christmas day because he didn't get the XBox he asked for.

Quoted for truth.

This thread reads like some little children throwing a tantrum. The sense of entitlement is strong here. Even worse, it's throwing a tantrum after the first day of a week-long celebration to mark Wurm's 10-year anniversary. Yes, some people will hit the jackpot, others wont. Nothing can be done about it, life isn't fair, never has been.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

This thread reads like some little children throwing a tantrum. The sense of entitlement is strong here. Even worse, it's throwing a tantrum after the first day of a week-long celebration to mark Wurm's 10-year anniversary. Yes, some people will hit the jackpot, others wont. Nothing can be done about it, life isn't fair, never has been.

Some will hit jackpot.

Was it a gift, or lottery?

I hate gambling, in all forms and flavors.

CC seems to love gambling. 

They introduced a rarity system which I am fine with. Just did not like the "drumroll" but found ways around to change settings (no sounds, gfx settings) to make it disappear, then they had to add the orange text. Every time I know there is a chance, I get that "gamble gamble" thrill, which I hate in all forms and flavors.

Prior to giving us some gifts we were told about those shiny new things which we COULD get... its not gifts, its lottery! When I was opening the godforsaken giftbox, I felt the same stupid tingle of gamblageddon which I hate in all forms and flavors., And got sleep powder. How dull. But guess what? I was happy I got that sleep powder, because then I could drop it among all the other sleep powders I got and "thats that". Phew, now that its over, I came all over here on the forums to express my thoughts. Silly me. I love talking about myself, that is the reason I make these posts. Not because the gift was bad. Its just that in my existence it is often difficult to see things for what they are being called because so often they end up being something else.

Its not a gift. Its lottery.

Premming old alt is like buying better lottery ticket.

Nothing wrong with lottery or gambling or whatnot.. personally I just dont like it, and I like it even less when I am facing an option "Open the Box or Destroy it?" Being greedy bastard (well not really) OFCOURSE I OPEN IT!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fawkes said:

People get something for free

Except that nothing is free. People were given an incentive to pay real life money to (re-)prem their characters and alts. Now those paying customers are disliking the result.

This is not how you save a game that already has huge problems with player retention.

• Like 4

Great gifts always appreciated to receive a chance at something special!  Happy 10 Wurm!

Where was the special *sparkle* of the 10 year anniversary? Giving little gifts away was fun to be sure, but not the tremendous event we were lead to believe it would be from the posts in the news articles. The returners packs did a nice job of boosting prems, at least of alts I guess but everyone who has played a long time seems more interested in having a memento then in having a 1s item. This whole event reminded me of a character in a story who said "first impressions are unfixable". When you lead the masses, ie us the paying customers to believe something wonderful and exciting is about to befall them and then give out common market items, can there be any wonder people aren't happy. Were sleep bonus powders and moonmetal lumps even listed on the potential prize lists? In typical wurm fashion they only listed the prizes that 2? people out of everyone I saw yesterday won while casually forgetting to list the prizes that everyone else won on the list. That's just stupid when 2 weeks ago rifts had a rough launch and now the long time players (most of whom it appears resubbed alts) just paid up for more prems. Wurm has now irritated it's customer base 2x in 3 week. Lets be straight forward and actually have special things for special events and just normalcy the rest of the time.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Raybarg said:

Its not a gift. Its lottery.

At that point you can start to ponder if it's a gift, a lottery or a money grab... In the late two case, why not sell the gift box on traders for 1.5s (seeing the overall value of the items in it) and let the players fund CCAB more and try their luck at the grand lottery for Wurm 10 Years.

I mean, that would be even funnier than, hey, take a gift and enjoy your crappy reward, while your n

eighbor get the super rare item you wished for.

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

This might be your thinking, but coming from someone with a staff badge, it's another slap in the face. What do we know about the week-long celebration, nothing was said, will there be more random loot gift box and the same issue ? Will it be another lottery with many loss and deception ?

And even if kids are annoying yelling brats, they have a goddamn right to throw a tantrum when they paid for something for years and the vet rewards were dropped along the line as well as the awesomness we were promised is nowhere close to our expectation.

3 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

Wurm has now irritated it's customer base 2x in 3 week. Lets be straight forward and actually have special things for special events and just normalcy the rest of the time.

What the man said.

24 minutes ago, Odynn said:

At that point you can start to ponder if it's a gift, a lottery or a money grab... In the late two case, why not sell the gift box on traders for 1.5s (seeing the overall value of the items in it) and let the players fund CCAB more and try their luck at the grand lottery for Wurm 10 Years.

Ooh!

Yes! That would have been awesome! 10 Years Anniversary Lottery tickets on traders. I could have enjoyed watching ppl throw all their money in and complain about ending up with ten sleep powders for 15s wasted. Fair game, I mean, its a choice to purchase lottery tickets.

Also as so many others points out in this thread, 10y anniversary flag/statue/tabard/flowerpot/gnome/whatever item to add to "vanity collection" seems to allways be failsafe gift to players. But then again, Wurm is fighting itemcounts actively so *shrugs*

(Disclaimer; Not insinuating people are so poor that "all their money" amounts to 15s, but what would I know?)

• Like 1

What this seemingly un-imaginative crew of wurm developers is forgetting is that we pay them to entertain us.  It is not good enough for you to just complete a task the boss gives you mechanically, you need to at least attempt to make it fun and entertaining for your audience.  In case you don't know there is a standard of expectation, we have played other older games like Ultima Online and World of Warcraft where rewards for loyalty make you go "wow, thanks you put some thought into this!"  Until you figure out how to wow us with gifts you will continue this cycle of disappointment all around, you upset because we don't appreciate your feeble attempts.  You can employ the staff to mock those of us who are not satisfied with your efforts but you will not shame us into acting as you naively expected us to do, grateful for any "free tidbit of pixel crack."

Our negative reaction to the last few rounds of gifts should be taken as a challenge to do better and not provoke the team to hunker down like they are under attack.  At least you are getting a reaction out of us still, eventually more of us will drift off to other games that understand how to entertain a group of diverse gamers and retain their attention and legitimate admiration.  So stop whining and mocking us and get good!

Here is an easy gift idea for the next time you think sleep powder or lumps of resources will suffice:

Spurs or a whip - use to make your horse run at its maximum speed for a period of time determined by the Wind of Ages cast on it.  The power of the cast decays with each use and there is diminishing returns the on the length of the speed boost if you use it more than once every 2 minutes.  The fact the horse does not exceed it's maximum speed will not break pvp.  

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 4