Sign in to follow this  
Quiver

Sprouts Not Growing Again?

Is anyone else playing Wurm Unlimited experiencing their spouts disappearing again?  I know we had this problem a while back but on our server it started up again about 2 updates back.  The only information I can find in the forums is old.  So I am not sure if its just my server or no one else is noticing or posting. 

Knowing that the old bug had been fix when I had players on my server ask me about it I thought it was just them being new to the server and had low skills.  But their skills are high enough now that shouldn't be happening.  But they are skill saying they are not surviving.  So I tried myself having skills around 70 in both gardening and forestry and I planted some 99 ql spouts.  They have all disappeared.  It seems we can not grow trees or shrubs on our server anymore.  We are not having issue with planting grass, flowers etc.  

I have not adjusted anything, its all still at default as it was when the game was launched and I created the server. We do not use any mods on the server either. 

Thanks for any help!

its the tree spread setting, if set to zero then it kills sprouts, but setting it to 1 i guess is way to much tree spread, need to set it to something like 10000 i think for really slow treespread

Thank you for trying to answer the question but it actually is not the tree spreading settings.  I have had it set to 0 since Oct 2015. There was a bug earlier in the year on servers with mods and when they went to fix it they broke it for those without mods.  They finally fixed that issues and its been fine until a few updates back.  Something else is causing it.  We don't have problem with trees spreading themselves.  The problem only occurs when we manually plant sprouts. 

If you have treespread set to 0 then trees wont spread themselves. So if your trees are spreading themselves, then you do not have treespread set to 0. Some information somewhere here is very faulty. Aum is correct if set to 0 itll kill sprouts you plant too, which seems silly to me, but that is the case.

+1 to what xyp said. 0 means no spread and the tile poller will kill planted sprouts.

AFAIK this wasn't changed at any point in WU history, and has nothing to do with mods.

Well I can assure you that my tree spread odds is set to 0 which is the original default and has been set at 0 since day one (see link). http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698968729 Sorry for the faded screen shot but my server is running and I didn't want to take it down while people are playing. I have never started a new database, it is my original.  The trees have spread like wild fire on my server just look at Gamester4life's 1st Tutorial YouTube video  vs his 96 video where I Raynstorm take you on a tour of tutorial island. I planted approx. 10 sprouts in the beginning that I had gotten from Gamesters Island but the rest of it has either grown on its own or from me replanting trees that I have cut down. We have even planted orchards from sprouts and did not have an issue until 2 updates ago where the sprouts started dying. So it is not an odds issue. 

I know initialy I had to modify my wurmservers.db just to get a value in there and after that planted sprouts worked. Just for kicks maybe try setting it to 20 next time you reboot the server see if that corrects it, if 1 in 20 is too crazy maybe try jacking it up to 1 in 80 or so, either way it should make it so that planted sprouts grow, maybe for whatever reason now it just needs "a number" in that field to allow sprouts.

There was an issue when WU first came out where IIRC the Adventure server properly had tree sprouts set in the database, and Creative server did not. So sprouts on creative servers were not doing correctly. I think it may also have been fixed in an early update, but servers made before that had to do a database edit to get it right. The GUI option came much later. It could be possible that somehow your database was right, and your gui had the save button hit changing it to 0 at some point? Either way just try the spread setting and see. If it doesn't work after trying it, then it is worth taking a closer look, however refusal to try it will get people to not bother looking deeper.

Well I have changed it to 20 like you all suggested and now not only do the sprouts not grow but now the trees instead of replanting themselves after they shrivel have now stopped.  I had no problem tree spread or trees replanting themselves until It was change to 20.  The only problem I was having is sprouts we manually planted not growing. Now nothing is growing my server is now a mess and I have nothing to edit the database with or know how to. *sigh*

DB Browser for SQLite works and it's free, just don't mess with it while the server is up, rip a copy of the "Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\<whateveryourservernameis>\sqlite" folder to play with. Field you need to check is in the wurmlogin.db > SERVERS table > TREEGROWTH , and if it's what you set it at using the server tool, then the problem is likely something else entirely within the spaghetti java code .jar and .class files that I have little to no idea how to even comprehend.

http://sqlitebrowser.org

Quiver I would really like to help you with this if at all possible, if there is anything in my ability or power that I can do to help I would be very happy to do so. Can you contact me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/mythmoor

I would be glad to hop on as a player do some testing, discuss things, see what we can do to resolve this. It is hard to really work via these forums, but would be happy to post whatever conclusion we get here.