Sign in to follow this  
Elsa

THe oldest wurm player?

YEs as the topic said, any one who know approximately how old the oldest wurm player who have played wurm is? 

We had an alliance member (we are dearly missing her, she left for WU); at the time she started playing she was a little over 70, so now would be over 71 :)

I'm sure there might be older players as well, the other "old" player in our ally is 65.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evening said:

We had an alliance member (we are dearly missing her, she left for WU); at the time she started playing she was a little over 70, so now would be over 71 :)

I'm sure there might be older players as well, the other "old" player in our ally is 65.

I have to give props to a 71 year old playing a game like this!!

• Like 2

I know one who is 65... Or he is older now. 

Edited by Elsa
Older now

I think Gary might be close to 90 by now

• Like 11

i know one who still plays and will do till end... now is around 60+

• Like 1

Previous owner of Vindekator is 65+ afaik

• Like 1

One of our former allies has just turned 80. He's a guy from NZ, and unfortunately left the alliance recently to play WU.

• Like 3

Wow, kind ofblown away by these older folks playing pc games, keeps their minds sharp i would guess, im the wrong side of 45, and ive been playing flat stick since feb, before that i was playing anno 2205

• Like 1

when i was    playing  eve online  one of my  allys  was  73  and had his  grand kids playing  eve, was nice

• Like 1

We have some old lads/friends in BL epic, Grumpysmith, Khatanka and Biggibbo are 3 names that come to mind

• Like 2

Wow, I suddenly feel young!   What a great thread!

• Like 4

The one elder in my town was in his early to mid 70's when I joined the town - back in 2008, so that would put him nearly 80 or over 80 now.

He still plays occasionally with his son and I believe grandson.

• Like 1

Trying to recall how old Ol'Winter was...

Though doubt he topped 80.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:57 AM, ozmods said:

Wow, kind ofblown away by these older folks playing pc games, keeps their minds sharp i would guess

Good point here. Basically I have found online games to be an enjoyable way to spend available idle time with minimal physical stress involved. Indeed it keeps the mind occupied while awaiting the grim reapers greedy grasp to collect another soul. Perhaps in time entering the online realm will become a way to avoid him altogether. Until then the incessant tick slowly recedes into the background when focused upon other projects of interest within Wurm, where the elder stage of life does little to suppress it.

*tick, tick, tick*

=Ayes=

• Like 4

You kids are so funny - who do you think has the time and money to sit and play Wurm on 3 - 4 premium characters all day and half the night every day??  If we don't work for Code Club, we must be retired, eh?  We invented video gaming - whatever makes you think we'd ever stop playing??  Or stop being very damned good at it??  Yes, that's my real picture, yet I count 7 grandchildren - 4 biological, and 3 adopted.  All but the youngest 2 (3 and almost 5) are also avid gamers, the oldest 2 started playing Wurm with me but it proved too slow paced for them.  I know far more 'over 60' players here than will admit publically - why?  Because you young ones relate better to us if you feel we are your peers.  This has long been a source of great amusement to me.  Remember:  the family that games together, stays together!  Zach, I'd give props to anyone in their 70's who had never touched a computer and could then play this game well .. but keep in mind most of us have played on and built our own computers and networks from the 300 baud days .. we've never not had the latest technology in our hands, so why would it be impressive that we can actually use it??  *laughing*  Honestly, if it weren't for the community here, Wurm is getting too slow and boring for me - I've stopped saying NO to my friends (of all ages) trying to get me back into faster paced or new MMOs and started saying 'probably soon'.  That's how I got into Wurm, I was asked by a game director developer of another large MMO to check out Wurm with him and give feedback.  I'm still laughing that he wouldn't install Java on his laptop, so never played Wurm and here I still am.  Love you all - don't care what your age is - in Wurm as in any fantasy MMO - we are all whomever and whatever we want to be.  <3

• Like 14

On 9.6.2016 at 0:22 AM, LorenaMontana said:

We have some old lads/friends in BL epic, Grumpysmith, Khatanka and Biggibbo are 3 names that come to mind

No, im am not old - i am only 57 years young!

Have fun ;)

• Like 4

Oh yeah its rare a game community can make me feel young. :)

Btw, trough my life I have learned from ageing people that one should count age up to 50 and then start counting down. Whats better than think youre 20 when youre at actual 80's? ;)

• Like 4

Youngest player in our alliance is 8 and eldest (who will admit to their age) is about 65.  Although, I am still unsure about Robby, since he says he is "old" and definitely is grumpy... (when he is not ninja sending cakes in the mail).

• Like 5

For the youngsters who are surprised at us older folk playing online games, we were playing Dungeons and Dragons when you had to use paper, pencil, and dice. We were gamers before gaming went online :)

• Like 7

On 6/14/2016 at 11:06 PM, Klaa said:

Trying to recall how old Ol'Winter was...

Though doubt he topped 80.

By now he is in his late 60's maybe early 70's

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MissWilc said:

For the youngsters who are surprised at us older folk playing online games, we were playing Dungeons and Dragons when you had to use paper, pencil, and dice. We were gamers before gaming went online :)

Except me, I was a larper, elf ears and stuff.

• Like 5

Started playing in July 2009 when I was 38, will be 46 this month.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2016 at 3:46 PM, Magykal said:

You kids are so funny - who do you think has the time and money to sit and play Wurm on 3 - 4 premium characters all day and half the night every day??  If we don't work for Code Club, we must be retired, eh?  We invented video gaming - whatever makes you think we'd ever stop playing??  Or stop being very damned good at it??  Yes, that's my real picture, yet I count 7 grandchildren - 4 biological, and 3 adopted.  All but the youngest 2 (3 and almost 5) are also avid gamers, the oldest 2 started playing Wurm with me but it proved too slow paced for them.  I know far more 'over 60' players here than will admit publically - why?  Because you young ones relate better to us if you feel we are your peers.  This has long been a source of great amusement to me.  Remember:  the family that games together, stays together!  Zach, I'd give props to anyone in their 70's who had never touched a computer and could then play this game well .. but keep in mind most of us have played on and built our own computers and networks from the 300 baud days .. we've never not had the latest technology in our hands, so why would it be impressive that we can actually use it??  *laughing*  Honestly, if it weren't for the community here, Wurm is getting too slow and boring for me - I've stopped saying NO to my friends (of all ages) trying to get me back into faster paced or new MMOs and started saying 'probably soon'.  That's how I got into Wurm, I was asked by a game director developer of another large MMO to check out Wurm with him and give feedback.  I'm still laughing that he wouldn't install Java on his laptop, so never played Wurm and here I still am.  Love you all - don't care what your age is - in Wurm as in any fantasy MMO - we are all whomever and whatever we want to be.  <3

This post reminds me of one of my first lectures of uni earlier this year. One of our lecturers on quantum physics must be in his mid to late 60s, and a room of around 200 people all gasped when he casually pulled up a program he wrote to demonstrate something graphically (at far beyond the level almost everyone in room had ever done before. There was lots of code and many complicated things going on and he was all "yeah I wrote this last night.") In 2nd semester he taught us our first programming module. Ageism :')

It makes me wonder how much of older people generally being bad at technology is actually to do with age making you less able to learn things, and how much of it is just people being unconfident/unwilling to learn new things even when they're perfectly capable of it.

• Like 4