Sign in to follow this  
Elsa

THe oldest wurm player?

On 17/06/2016 at 9:47 PM, MissWilc said:

For the youngsters who are surprised at us older folk playing online games, we were playing Dungeons and Dragons when you had to use paper, pencil, and dice. We were gamers before gaming went online :)

Back when I was merely old, we had to carve our character sheets out of stone slabs!

Wurm's community is one of the better ones around, and you never know who you're going to run into.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Back when I was merely old, we had to carve our character sheets out of stone slabs!

Wurm's community is one of the better ones around, and you never know who you're going to run into.

I might still have a slab or 2 laying around somewhere :)

• Like 2

At first glance, I read it as the "oddest" Wurm player.  Which could be an interesting thread.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Docterchese said:

This post reminds me of one of my first lectures of uni earlier this year. One of our lecturers on quantum physics must be in his mid to late 60s, and a room of around 200 people all gasped when he casually pulled up a program he wrote to demonstrate something graphically (at far beyond the level almost everyone in room had ever done before. There was lots of code and many complicated things going on and he was all "yeah I wrote this last night.") In 2nd semester he taught us our first programming module. Ageism :')

It makes me wonder how much of older people generally being bad at technology is actually to do with age making you less able to learn things, and how much of it is just people being unconfident/unwilling to learn new things even when they're perfectly capable of it.

I think a lot of it had (has) to do with perceived societal roles thrust upon us and the feeling we must comply to be accepted. I grew up in southern society where roles were very defined for generations, even to what time of year white clothing could be worn. My generation was the first to rebel against most every moire that made no real sense.  Leave math to the boys?  Hell, no! Men don't cook or clean? My boys did their own laundry from a very young age and both are excellent cooks today.  More than just the society and gender roles was what I'll call age-stage expectations: pressure to conform was exerted in subtle and overt ways to 'act your age'. A woman of 50 should never wear the clothes she wore at 20 or 30 even though she was probably in better shape, a person of 60 should be retiring even though they are at or approaching intellectual peak with vast experience and resources - not because they functioned less well, but because greedy corporations realized they could hire noobs cheaper.  Humans are very susceptible to persuasion and perception is very important to most - everything to some.  Technology was a major tool in allowing us to change that, and to continue the change.  Previous generations gave in to the pressure to retire, sit down, die .. not this one and not any in the future!  Our minds are marvelous wonders of nature, but like anything we use it or we lose it.  The 'golden years' should be the most active, entertaining, challenging and fulfilling!  When your time is your own to work, study, play and do whatever the hell you want when you want - and if you don't have the money to leave home and do it, do it online!  Just open the windows to let in fresh air once in awhile! ;-)

I have to add as I sit here drinking coffee waiting for sunrise - if the young people are blown away that older folks use technology and play MMOs so well - they'd really be mind blown if they knew what else we do!  :lol: 

Edited by Magykal
amusing afterthought ;-)
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Teggs said:

At first glance, I read it as the "oddest" Wurm player.  Which could be an interesting thread.

This might have been another interesting thread as well, although I would imagine that some's perception of odd could not really do justice to the subject. In the least it would define how far a person could stray from the status quo to be considered odd. Oddly enough then, it would do more to describe the person making that observation than the referenced individual.

Another topic for another day then, perhaps.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Magykal said:

I have to add as I sit here drinking coffee waiting for sunrise - if the young people are blown away that older folks use technology and play MMOs so well - they'd really be mind blown if they knew what else we do!  :lol: 

Your whole post was on point. I work with and teach mostly adult students and while a lot of them do have a little computer-phobia at first (or learning phobia), plenty of them are returning to school to finish degrees started years earlier and take to online learning and research like fish to water. Because they think they can, at 50, 60, whatever.

Brains are awesome things, and don't fall off once you hit 40, :D unless you stop using them!

• Like 5

Kinda surprised no one mentioned Queenie, although I have no idea how old she was/is.

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, Raybarg said:

Btw, trough my life I have learned from ageing people that one should count age up to 50 and then start counting down. Whats better than think youre 20 when youre at actual 80's? ;)

Nah, just think of each year as levelling up. Far better to think you're level 80 than 20 ;)

• Like 6

On 6/23/2016 at 7:55 PM, Hordern said:

Nah, just think of each year as levelling up. Far better to think you're level 80 than 20 ;)

This is how I say happy birthday to friends on FB and other social media. Then I offer then skill points to alot to stats... It's very nice... 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2016 at 4:47 PM, MissWilc said:

For the youngsters who are surprised at us older folk playing online games, we were playing Dungeons and Dragons when you had to use paper, pencil, and dice. We were gamers before gaming went online :)

People still do play using paper, pencil, and dice... I know this because there are weekly sessions in my library on campus...

• Like 1

oldest Wurm player? Probably Rolf.

and if aging is like leveling, can i reset my skills please? i feel pretty gimped. Im always over encumbered, and

my skill gains have been nerfed. :P

• Like 1

On 26-6-2016 at 7:41 PM, Huntar said:

propheteer ,73 i think

Probably closer to 12

• Like 4

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, Griffith said:

and if aging is like leveling, can i reset my skills please? i feel pretty gimped. Im always over encumbered, and

my skill gains have been nerfed. :P

I'm afraid for that you have to join the Reincarnation path. It is free to join, however there is an RNG roll on whether it works or not.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2016 at 1:41 PM, Huntar said:

propheteer ,73 i think

id wager closer to 20

• Like 1

I am glad this still sort of active keep it up! 

Pondering how old Barakus was when he passed last year.

• Like 1

I'm 62 and know a woman that plays that is 65.

• Like 2

On 23/6/2016 at 0:58 AM, Jools said:

Kinda surprised no one mentioned Queenie, although I have no idea how old she was/is.

She was ancient when king of diamonds where a jack.

• Like 2

Kraegar likes to reminisce about walking along side dinosaurs quite often.

• Like 1

Queenie and spirit are the 2 i can remember.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Karrde said:

Pondering how old Barakus was when he passed last year.

Yes, I'd also like to know how old Oracle was when we lost him.

• Like 1

my first computer with a miodem had a 300 baud i was big into bulletin boards in the early early 80;'s when i was 8.. tjhamks Mom and Dad!!!! so much,, heheh and i remember the crowd was small then we were hatsh elitests us geeks.!!! more so than the nerds..good memories

i still remember my first pseudonym as we called them then.

anyhow I am and old and tired ready to be recycled or traded in,., 43... ...heheheh and ii  always thought this game of ours has.had a mature fan player base look at its tempo.. my brother said its lilke watching ..paint dry just lik Old Time Radio another of my life long luvs...

bless our Elders.. especially for their everbountiful patience in us youngins....heheheh/// happy wurmin all...don't u dare quit Magy \!! Id miss ur comments above all since i have never  had the pleasure of meeting you,,,,!!!