Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

Fix the Server Enough of this Malformed

CC you guys need to not treat this as if it is minor. I just wiped 4 months of progress of several players who played on my server it is gone do to malformed and high corrupted database's.

When I even looked to do a rollback I had found out this issue was all the way back from the dang launch of the server so there was no database  with out errors cause because of incompetent coding and laziness you all pushed a client to the public with no testing what so ever and after months issues where posted yet we saw no fix months further down the road still no fix. 

I'm about to post some database pics of a fresh rebuild after 1 hr can you point out some thing wrong cause I sure can and I watched some of this happen from the log screen. I hate to say this but Rolf I support you but if you don't fix this dam problem and continue to say WO is main priority with a dam bug like this in the stand alone which is major I think you should give everyone a dam refund until you and your team can figure out how to fix it. There is nothing more dam disappointing than to work hard for months only to have one day your database fly off the handle with malformed  data so bad. You system is not saving info properly and throwing info in places it should not belong. The pics I'm about to show is not what happen to my server over 4 months of time but just a few hrs after a complete rebuild. My word to other server owners look at your database a little closer I can bank on it you all have corrupted data in multiple databases. 

This is just a few screen shots I need not show any more. My server had over 80 thousand items with 60 thousand having no player owner id when they should have based on the item.

• I've seen players with model names in wrong table
  • missing ids
  • no x,y,z cords
  • null wurm ids
  • null template ids

This is not acceptable. I'm going to give you a chance to redeem yourself team at CC, fix this asap or from this point on I will no longer have anything good to say about your product and service.

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-29-09-95_zpsxav2je

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-09-34-24_zpshiwjdp

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-28-17-72_zpsqk61ej

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-27-44-55_zpssx10y7

• Like 2

Yea Ive been ripping through the DB to clean it up trying to avoid such types of rollbacks..  Its a shame.

Even the player pruning..    Why on earth would you purge the old players in the DB but not cleanup all the tables associated with that character..    For instance.. Achievements .... I found 521,304 records!   1/4 of those were for ID's of players that didn't exist anymore! 

Sorry but looking through the DB for our server makes me want to puke .....

I can't confirm your problems at all, but I only have access to a DB with 150.000 items yet.

There is not a single wurmid or templateid missing, and (last)ownerid is only missing in some obvious cases that are easy to explain. (custom spawn items, supply depot items, gems, ...)

Not sure what went wrong for you, but the Desolation DB seems fine.

Spoiler

This happens when a player disconnects before spawning for the first time. 

Spoiler

Got some of these too. Probably deleted keys that don't exist anymore? Maybe someone should test/clarify that.

There also appears to be an issue with fog spiders being bugged out during the polling cycle. 

See log:

This is what is happening during the polling cycle and causing that lag spike during the duration of the polling.  

http://pastebin.com/miDHX8jL

Looking at these screenshots...

The first one, there is no xyz if it is in a players inventory, as the xyz is associated with the position of the player not the item at that point. No error there.

Player  you have highlighted in screenshot 2, They never finished creation, playtime 0, there is no model as their character was never actually generated....No error there.

Screenshot 3:

Key ID -10 likely comes from 1 of a few situations. Key was destroyed, key was left out and decayed, key was sacrificed, or was a boat/cart and using the default lock that never had a key. KeyID -10 means it does not exist. Which is entirely possible within the game mechanics to happen. I see no error there.

Screenshot 4:

Again does not have a key, see above.

While I agree with Razor that some things should clean up much better than they do. I also agree there is an issue with the fog spider count, when that happens there is a strange spike, this also happens with egg count and fountain containers in inventory count. Since the last patch there also seems to be an issue with creature not found causing lag spikes, associated with the startup crowded creature cleanup, and in at least 1 case this overcrowding cleanup had removed 2 bison from a wagon of one of my players which I had to replace. So there are some issues, but the malformed database, I don't have a malformed database, and the screenshots you provided show me absolutely no errors, everything looks like it should.

I will poke Keenan, who seems to be the most responsive dev, or maybe he is appointed to be so, either way if he has time Hopefully he will take a look at this thread and give his comments.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

I got poked! I'll take the screenshots one-by-one. I'm also going to say it because I must - be more civil. We are not trash to be kicked around because you are upset. Throwing "dam" around isn't going to help your case.

And now for the replies:

On 6/4/2016 at 5:11 AM, Arkonick said:

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-29-09-95_zpsxav2je

Items can have a null position when they are not in the world. Examples being items worn, in inventories, in containers, in the mail, or in "the void". There is no corruption here.

As mentioned, this happens when a player disconnects during creation. I could investigate putting a delete after they disconnect. This is technically not corruption though as this data is harmless aside from the reservation of the name.

On 6/4/2016 at 5:11 AM, Arkonick said:

Dwm%202016-06-04%2004-27-44-55_zpssx10y7

You can destroy keys associated to locks with the new permission system, causing this. No corruption here, though I will look in to the need to store the reverse reference (lock in the keys table).

I wasn't aware of the fog spider issue, this should be looked in to. 

I'm more curious what happened to cause you to need to dump everything? While WU and WO use different database drivers and the schemas are different to reflect the dialect between MySQL and SQLite, we haven't had to dump any databases in the last 7-8 years (Chaos/Wild's online time). There have been oddities which may have needed some manual fixing, but those are usually discovered and fixed in the code as well.

Anyway, thanks for the post and I hope my replies (though they echoed the ones above) helped to explain things.

• Like 2

Arkonick, what actually caused you to need to wipe 4 months' worth of data? If you were seeing any actual symptoms of problems in-game, it would be useful to say what they were.

17 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Arkonick, what actually caused you to need to wipe 4 months' worth of data? If you were seeing any actual symptoms of problems in-game, it would be useful to say what they were.

Could it be bad Server Management?
I assume you are running the server of a hosted machine, and have access via a Web based GUI, so how do you shut the server down?

Ok lets talk about the screen shots a min the first one every item that has no lastownerid is in his actually inventory. Why does half the items show him as the first and last owner yet other items are nulled out of him being the lastowner? I'm sure the code just don't say hay I'll put lastownerid on half of your inventory and the other half I'm just to lazy to finish the job. Screen shot of the key the key is not destroyed it is in his inventory. The player that tedbear that is nulled in a lot of info was logged in for a good bit before it was logged out so why all the info was nulled is a mystery. I have had several players on my main database of my server who played regularly have missing null info like this I guess the code was again to lazy to add this info as well.  

Yes your database on WO hasn't had this happen in years so how old is this WU actually could it be this is the copy Rolf has given out to volunteer devs to work with and at a point it was converted over to the WU standalone? I'll press this as the case and the code is not up to par with the WO code which would be why we are having some database issues. I'm not here to argue and yes I threw the word dam across the screen not to get attention but it is a form of language that expresses a emotion from aggravation, an yes I'm very upset that 4 months of server time was so corrupted that I had to do a rebuild only to find out 2 hrs in the database started having the same issue. If left be like it is no issue over time the database gets so corrupt it just one day stops.

I just few moments ago uploaded the database I backed up before the rebuild and now it want crank cause the playerdatabase is so malformed. Seeing you don't see a issue of several people having malformed data base files I see this is standard operating proceduer at CC so I will no longer follow or support CC or any product you come up with from this day forth. Good luck in the future.

4 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

Ok lets talk about the screen shots a min the first one every item that has no lastownerid is in his actually inventory. Why does half the items show him as the first and last owner yet other items are nulled out of him being the lastowner? I'm sure the code just don't say hay I'll put lastownerid on half of your inventory and the other half I'm just to lazy to finish the job. Screen shot of the key the key is not destroyed it is in his inventory. The player that tedbear that is nulled in a lot of info was logged in for a good bit before it was logged out so why all the info was nulled is a mystery. I have had several players on my main database of my server who played regularly have missing null info like this I guess the code was again to lazy to add this info as well.  

Yes your database on WO hasn't had this happen in years so how old is this WU actually could it be this is the copy Rolf has given out to volunteer devs to work with and at a point it was converted over to the WU standalone? I'll press this as the case and the code is not up to par with the WO code which would be why we are having some database issues. I'm not here to argue and yes I threw the word dam across the screen not to get attention but it is a form of language that expresses a emotion from aggravation, an yes I'm very upset that 4 months of server time was so corrupted that I had to do a rebuild only to find out 2 hrs in the database started having the same issue. If left be like it is no issue over time the database gets so corrupt it just one day stops.

I just few moments ago uploaded the database I backed up before the rebuild and now it want crank cause the playerdatabase is so malformed. Seeing you don't see a issue of several people having malformed data base files I see this is standard operating proceduer at CC so I will no longer follow or support CC or any product you come up with from this day forth. Good luck in the future.

I'll reiterate my question: What actual problems were you having on your server?

A lot of this "corruption" is either normal or harmless quirks in how Wurm's server code stores things. If you weren't having actual problems running your server, I don't know why you're so upset over this? For example, the LastOwnerID of an item is generally not even relevant while the item is still in the player's inventory, and is likely set when it is dropped on the ground, so there shouldn't be much reason for concern there.

You basically seem to think that any NULL entry in a database table makes it "malformed" and bad. This is not the case. If you were having actual problems on your server, you haven't said what they are, so at this point everyone here is left to assume that your server was running fine and you arbitrarily wiped 4 months of data based on a poor understanding of Wurm's code and how databases work, or you possibly had some unrelated issue. We have no way of knowing, but you can't really expect to get help with a problem unless you say what the problem was.

Edited by Ostentatio

Several people have malformed database files? Who is the several,  you are the only person I see saying this....

Code is up to date with wurm, why do you think we all got accidentally given worg april fools models for wolves lol...

2 minutes ago, Xyp said:

Several people have malformed database files? Who is the several,  you are the only person I see saying this....

Code is up to date with wurm, why do you think we all got accidentally given worg april fools models for wolves lol...

Worgs is a mapping.txt not a code change. And I guess razoreqx and the other people in other post don't count sorry guys you are imagining your databases being malformed and corrupted. specially after 1.0.0.6 this is suppose to happen so we are being informed here. The code is suppose to leave information out in sections of the data base this is standard operating procedure. So is player info not being saved as well. Looks like a false alarm guys.

First things first, I've enjoyed community & play style of the server in question in the first post while I was a part of it.

On the actual issues, that we've had there, there was a piece of meal "Exmine" on which led to disconnect. However, I strongly suppose that this is due to the fact that meal can be put into FSBs in there, and some data about the said meal can be pruned badly by modification's code, not by CC code. 

Second, after seeing lame excuses on the web ("400$ software to repair sqlite database"), I have decided to migrate to other server, as I have serious doubts about future stability of server in question. 

3 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

First things first, I've enjoyed community & play style of the server in question in the first post while I was a part of it.

On the actual issues, that we've had there, there was a piece of meal "Exmine" on which led to disconnect. However, I strongly suppose that this is due to the fact that meal can be put into FSBs in there, and some data about the said meal can be pruned badly by modification's code, not by CC code. 

Second, after seeing lame excuses on the web ("400$ software to repair sqlite database"), I have decided to migrate to other server, as I have serious doubts about future stability of server in question. 

Food being stored in a FSB does not cause the crashing of the client. This works fine on a clean database. I explained this to you. So don't come in here trolling. Good go else where but your trolling is not needed on a serious issue in these forums.

13 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

Ok lets talk about the screen shots a min the first one every item that has no lastownerid is in his actually inventory. Why does half the items show him as the first and last owner yet other items are nulled out of him being the lastowner? I'm sure the code just don't say hay I'll put lastownerid on half of your inventory and the other half I'm just to lazy to finish the job. 

Actually this depends on how the item was created and added to the player.

Screen shot of the key the key is not destroyed it is in his inventory.

This is useful information, but also was the server shutdown when you pulled these screenshots? Information is cached in memory. What did the in-game tools say?

The player that tedbear that is nulled in a lot of info was logged in for a good bit before it was logged out so why all the info was nulled is a mystery. I have had several players on my main database of my server who played regularly have missing null info like this I guess the code was again to lazy to add this info as well. 

If the player logs in and doesn't click through the prompts, this can happen. Again, note what I said above. YOU SHOULD NEVER SNAPSHOT OR WORK WITH A DATABASE WHILE THE SERVER IS RUNNING. We use specific utilities in WO for our live db backups and they only work with MySQL. There may be SQLite utilities, but the one you are using does NOT support it.

Given that I manage the builds going to Steam right now, I can tell you that the code is up-to-date. There are differences, like removing the Rift logic in 1.0.0.7 beta as well as some of the Steam-only and WU-specific settings are not in the WO branch, but I handle the merging of the branches and building of the releases. The database handling code (what actually writes to the database) is abstracted to the data access point - meaning we swap a MySQL JDBC driver for a SQLite JDBC driver. All other saving and loading is the same across WO and WU and 1.0.0.7 beta is only behind one patch right now.

I'm sorry to see you go, but there's literally nothing to fix here. You have a malformed database, which can happen for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with the code. If you go by the numbers, if the code was causing such drastic issues then we would have a much more serious case on our hands, and we just don't. As far as I know this is isolated to you. Without knowing how you are handling your database files, I cannot rule out user error. I can rule out the code causing massive data malformation though, as I would see it both in Wurm Online and through the thousands who play Wurm Unlimited regularly.

I am more than willing to work with you to resolve your issues, but not if you are unwilling to provide insight in to your handling of the database files and the exact reason you felt the need to dump a 4-month-old database and start fresh. From the sound of things, I'm going to suspect that you are looking at the database while the server is still running, and committing any changes in this state can cause data corruption. This is primarily why we do not release a database viewing tool with Wurm Unlimited, and that the tool built-in to the server GUI is limited and locks you out when the server is running.

24 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

If mods are involved, then Arkonick definitely should have mentioned that, as indeed that may have caused that problem.

If he used third-party software to try to "repair" the database, or otherwise mishandled the database (as Keenan said), then those things could also have easily caused problems.

Edited by Ostentatio

I use SQLite Browser myself. Using it you can view the database while the game is running BUT YOU CAN NOT CHANGE IT. You can change it while the game is shut down using SQLite Browser.

SERIOUS NOTE, you can not have the database open in SQLite Browser when you shut down the server, YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR DATABASE. SQLite doesn't like multiple connections in that manor. In fact even using the browser to view files you need to make sure that your wurm.ini has USE_POOLED_DB=true so that it can handle having other applications read it. Even with this I WOULD NEVER have the database open while shutting a server down. What happens is SQLite will lock the database and things will fail to write.

MySQL is a much better system, and supports multiple processes working with it at one time much much better, which is why WO uses it. However I support CC's decision to use SQLite for WU, as it is much easier for an end user to set up. It is basically just a file, you don't need to also manage an SQL server for it.

Edited by Xyp

3 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

If mods are involved, then Arkonick definitely should have mentioned that, as indeed that may have caused that problem.

If he used third-party software to try to "repair" the database, or otherwise mishandled the database (as Keenan said), then those things could also have easily caused problems.

My server is run by Pingperfect and not on my home PC.

My moding didn't cause these issues. They work fine on a fresh build with no issues which I always test before putting them on my live hosted server.

No software was used to repair the database files. The quote about 400 is not the full quote I said 200 to 400 bucks. When my database started to get very corrupted I started looking into how to repair them I don't know SQL I've stated this so

I started reading and I keep looking when the stuff people was talking about got so confusing I found some programs which are 3rd party software they spoke of repairing the database. Know people please stay with me don't get lost cause right now there is to much assumption from people posting and that is the mother of all Fups. I never bought any 3rd party software to repair my database. are you with me so far?

If I have ever touched my database it was from a downloaded backup I did from my server host to my personal PC which was a copy not the actually database files on the server. Those I looked into. I never tried to view my sql while it was running online. My host provides a online log viewer that allows me to watch the log files. This is where I have seen all this stuff going down. If I ever watched it while it was live it was from the host providers viewer. this viewer is a viewer only it does not allow any sort of adding to the log files. All it does is allows me to view the log files live. Point to be made I never used the log viewer till my server started having problems which was after the first rollback when the server just crashed one day with no warning. After said rollback I started to use the host log viewer to watch what was happening.

What I have noticed is the database works fine but after a few character files not saving the database starts to get corrupted, the corruption leaks down into other database files cause the player.db is connected to other database files. This has been the first issue that comes up before other things start getting skewed.

16 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

The quote about 400 is not the full quote I said 200 to 400 bucks.

the only tools that exist in such price range are for repairing corrupt database files. that means, repairing files that can not be opened by a standard sqlite3 client, and from which database structure needs to be restored. This is not what you are describing in this thread, and this is why I say that this is "lame" excuse. I also fail to imagine what kind of tool person would want to use to repair wrongly saved data in the database, apart from their own SQL skills and scripts.

29 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

My server is run by Pingperfect and not on my home PC.

My moding didn't cause these issues. They work fine on a fresh build with no issues which I always test before putting them on my live hosted server.

This fact cannot rule out modifications. The fact is that if you run modifications on your server, we have no control over what happens to the data once the server starts up. Testing builds pre-applying mods and having everything work with no issues is actually kind of telling that it could very well be a mod, unless I'm completely misunderstanding you.

No software was used to repair the database files. The quote about 400 is not the full quote I said 200 to 400 bucks. When my database started to get very corrupted I started looking into how to repair them I don't know SQL I've stated this so

I started reading and I keep looking when the stuff people was talking about got so confusing I found some programs which are 3rd party software they spoke of repairing the database. Know people please stay with me don't get lost cause right now there is to much assumption from people posting and that is the mother of all Fups. I never bought any 3rd party software to repair my database. are you with me so far?

First of all, unless you're working with enterprise-level databases, a tool with that much of a price tag is either way more than you need or pure snake oil. I also think we're dealing with a confusion of terms. A database file could be corrupted, which would make it unreadable by SQLite entirely. The fact that you can open and read these files tells me that the database itself is not actually corrupt. Those tools you saw are likely to recover an actual corrupt database. What you're pointing out here is actually bad data, which itself will not lead to database corruption. It can lead to other issues during the running of the game, but it's highly unlikely that it will corrupt your actual database files.

If I have ever touched my database it was from a downloaded backup I did from my server host to my personal PC which was a copy not the actually database files on the server. Those I looked into. I never tried to view my sql while it was running online. My host provides a online log viewer that allows me to watch the log files. This is where I have seen all this stuff going down. If I ever watched it while it was live it was from the host providers viewer. this viewer is a viewer only it does not allow any sort of adding to the log files. All it does is allows me to view the log files live. Point to be made I never used the log viewer till my server started having problems which was after the first rollback when the server just crashed one day with no warning. After said rollback I started to use the host log viewer to watch what was happening.

I've long thought that we ought to yank out a number of log file entries, simply because we are using exception logging for rather benign situations. For example, when a GM uses the GM tool on a player that is not logged in, you wind up with countless exception logs telling you that items/creatures/players do not exist. These do not indicate bad data in your database. In the code, we keep a running track of creatures, players, and items that are currently in the game. These messages simply mean that we tried to fetch one of those items by it's ID and we didn't find one in the game. This can happen when a player is logged out, as I said, or in other situations such as tamed creatures that log out with a character or even items that have decayed but were never removed from one tracking list or another. I am actually cataloging these now and I intend to make these situations fail in a less worrisome way.

29 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

What I have noticed is the database works fine but after a few character files not saving the database starts to get corrupted, the corruption leaks down into other database files cause the player.db is connected to other database files. This has been the first issue that comes up before other things start getting skewed.

This entire observation needs more context for it to make sense. See below.

If you want me to make sense of this, I need a copy of your "corrupted" database and the log files in question. I'm a tad loaded down with work today, but I can try to see what I can find. Again, I really think there's something more going on with your end, not saying you are messing things up - but that something with your set up is causing you problems. It could be a mod, it could be a server-side tool. It could even be a problem with your host through PingPerfect. Without visibility, I cannot make a call on that. What I do have visibility on is our code and Wurm Online's data, and I can assure you that the issue you are reporting - if it is as you state - is not happening on our end.

If you're not willing or able to produce the information, I really have no choice but to consider this a non-issue with the exception of the logged messages as I said and the fog spider issue.

• Like 1

You can't blame this on heavily modded servers. It also happens on servers that are lightly modded or not modded at all. There are problems and they are many that will probably never be fixed by CC because "it's not our fault, it's you". BTW, if a server is not used much some of this stuff never happens. That should tell you something.

Edited by Clatius

Clatius I disagree, Keenan is doing a good job of keeping up with issues, the problem comes with it being a very small team and currently most have specific large tasks assigned to them, so it takes more time to fix these seemingly small things than it would for a AAA company, which has the same problems, if not more of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xyp said:

Clatius I disagree, Keenan is doing a good job of keeping up with issues, the problem comes with it being a very small team and currently most have specific large tasks assigned to them, so it takes more time to fix these seemingly small things than it would for a AAA company, which has the same problems, if not more of them.

I agree.   Keenan is really going above and beyond the scope of WU to offer to look at DB's with mods installed which alter the state of the DB.   Im not saying there are not issues with a vanilla server and some of the functions,  but I would think those issues would take priority over a modded server, as it requires a complete understanding of what even one MOD might be doing to alter DB entries.  

Edited by razoreqx

The only issue i had updating was dbs don't seem to update properly, i had to move it to windows and use the update button then put it back on the linux server. Even fresh installs needed the same. The update db script for linux doesn't work for me but is more likely user error. Only corruption i had was from a mod or running the database too long without updating it and thats the same user error as i assumed the database would update.

Read the steam forums, Keenan answers alot of stupid questions from people who don't have a clue what they are doing and then rage at him. He deals with alot of bs

Yeah sqlite is strange. However it was the right choice for end users to install the server. That being said making a mod to access one of the existing databases, without hooking the built in server database connectors and methods is not a good idea. sqlite only likes to allow 1 write access to it.