Sign in to follow this  
Cecci

Wurm 10 years: Your best memory

Now that Wurm celebrates it's 10th birthday I have been pondering what were my best moments during the three years I played...

It's hard to choose, there has been so many great or beautiful moments!

It is probably when I got my first animal or when I was gifted a MR wagon  on the day they came out and I had gotten  some horrible personal news in rl.

Or when someone I admired suddenly started talking with me like we were friends.

Or when I went to my first hunt as a healer.

There has been so many moments, I wont tell all mine, I wanna hear about yours!

What were your best moments?

Edited by Cecci
changed pronoun
  • Like 8

On chaos many years ago, we asked another hots deed to join the alliance.

I think the guys name was Rugg he asked for us to go over to make it final, the guy only spoke in orkish or whatever strange wow language he was using, but he expected us to do the same which was a laugh in itself.

three of us turn up and he asks us to line up, so we gather round his little camp fire at his deed, then he explains one of us needs to be sacrificed to make the deal final.

so myself, Daolin and Becca is standing there and Becca got chosen, so the expected happened and we had to kill her lol..

We gave Rugg the body and he goes and cooks her into a nice meal, and we sit and fill up our food bar while rejoicing our new village in alliance.

wish i had the chat was hilarious and never seen anything like it since.

• Like 8

I started playing towards the end of the last Beta map (I must have been about 12 at the time.) but my HP Pavilion PC couldn't run Wurm for more than 10mins at a time before crashing. So I couldn't really get into it very well, but my RL best friend - Dilzi was obsessed with Wurm so I always ended up struggling through the crashes just to derp about with him. When G1 happened we ended up settling near Lionshead and noobed around for the majority of the existence of the map without a deed. I can still remember vividly the achievement of making our first forge together and finding iron in our mine and fortunately I still have a couple of screenies of these days. 

f3gVkHw.png

Inbetween convos on MSN and school we would plan what we'd like to build and draw on draw paper plans for deeds that we could never hope to afford (A size 10 village back then cost 1g up front). We made two 1x1 wooden shacks in a valley by the lake only a couple of mins walk from our Iron mine. This was all "pre fight fix" which meant that we struggle to kill anything other than rats or chickens which meant we often had to forage for our food and lived off casseroles.  One of the greatest ongoing sagas we had was our attempt to build a guard tower between our two shacks to try and fend off the copious amounts of things that wanted to eat our faces off. We ever slowly chipped away at making it for seemingly months until our existence with our hovels was abruptly cut short when a brown bear found it's way to us and killed us both. We both rage quit for a couple of days and eventually decided to spend our pocket money on buying a size 5 village together (25s iirc back then). Unfortunately for us not long after that the great Wurmageddon happened and we got plonked down on the server known as JK-H. 

DkqNMUL.png

Looking back on that first year or so of playing Wurm things were so treacherous and yet felt so simple. Every thing built felt like a major achievement and playing with my best mate every day are honestly my fondes memories of Wurm. I'm 24 now going on 25 which I guess means I've been playing Wurm for around 12 years which is just crazy to me to think about. Honestly in my time playing Wurm I've met many many amazing people and have forge friendships that have literally taken me around the world. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to enjoy (and sometimes hate) every second of the great rollercoaster that is Wurm. 

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 9

many good times in my 4 years..   from  7 traders deeds on exodus, and miles of highways made, from Chaos and Speedy.   Best moments for me was when i host 3 days impalong at Glasshollow Market and MR members brings like 10 or more Hota Statues For Winers and Market decorations and all of that Hota are still there.  I was never told for sure if they will ever come to market i just ask for donation and get suprissed... :D

Many bad moments in wurm, From time i sold all my items and deeds on exodus and quit for 3 months.  I remember one moment i sold Glasshollow market and Rockybalboa... was hard aswell....  

Today is new start another deed new miles

All glory to MR Chaos and all ppl i trade with and never claim case :D

• Like 2

November 29th - 30th, fight for the bugged artifact

Logging started at Nov 30, 2007
[06:52:00] <Riceandbeans> Riceandbeans is near IS
[06:52:10] <Riceandbeans> ahs a shovel tho
[06:52:12] <Riceandbeans> has*
[06:52:40] <Riceandbeans> how far out in the water?
[06:55:02] <Riceandbeans> Huntar?
[06:58:30] <Riceandbeans> HUNTAR!
[06:59:50] <Huntar> im back
[06:59:56] <Riceandbeans> wb
[07:00:01] <Riceandbeans> how far in the water?
[07:00:01] <Huntar> im staying home, managed to get sick fast
[07:00:03] <Riceandbeans> im nearly there
[07:00:07] <Riceandbeans> lol sweet
[07:00:10] <Riceandbeans> get ur ass here

RMddq1p.png

I was, and always have been the adventuring type. My time on Wurm has primarily always been scavenging, adventuring, wandering around unrecognized plateaus and forests. That need for adventure however got the best of both kingdoms one day, multiple hour-long skirmishes where the only retreat was a single tower beside what was known as the LO land bridge.

[06:46:21] <Huntar> i suicided back to vallhalla thinking i could suicde back with a shovel
[06:46:21] <Mendoza> and how is the orb there, wasn't it at LO?
[06:46:32] <Huntar> someone died or dropped it WE DONT KNOW
[06:46:34] <Mendoza> crap a shovel n run back
[06:46:38] <Mendoza> grab*
[06:46:46] <Huntar> i dont have time!
[06:46:48] <Mendoza> ask loke for 1
[06:46:54] <Mendoza> what area is it in?
[06:46:57] <Huntar> ive got to go in 10 minutes
[06:46:58] <Mendoza> like general area
[06:47:00] <Mendoza> i will get it
[06:47:03] <Huntar> LO BRIDGE
[06:47:11] <Mendoza> where bouts at LO Bridge? WL side?
[06:47:17] <Mendoza> on the bridge?
[06:47:29] <Huntar> out in the ocean neara tower

November 29th, at around 9pm at night I had discovered what appeared to be the orb of doom (Though was actually the gold charm of fo, none of has knew what the orb or charm looked like) north of the LO land bridge, of course I had school the next day, which I had skipped because I was 15 and reckless. I didn't care. I had adrenaline moving through me the entire night, I could barely sleep with the artifact on my mind, the artifact which was primarily an incorporeal object in space (aka a bugged entity that could not be touched nor moved). Though this wasn't clear to us till our call to the GM was heard, and by that time, on the 30th, it was much too late for any assistance as both sides at spent the majority of that next day battling over the untouchable artifact.

[07:32:11] <Riceandbeans> guys
[07:32:15] <Riceandbeans> it says Gold Charm of Fo?
[07:32:17] <Huntar> yez?
[07:32:22] <Huntar> wyut
[07:32:23] <Madt> what?
[07:32:27] <Riceandbeans> yea...
[07:32:29] <Riceandbeans> it says it
[07:32:35] <Riceandbeans> for a second
[07:32:36] <Madt> where?
[07:33:00] <Huntar> looks more like n orb of doom =/

nx2h5hn.png

[07:22:44] <Madt> Maybe if rolf quickly deleted the old model and it came up with the bag model we could get it?
[07:22:56] <Huntar> and as far as i know, you cant drop items on artifacts
[07:22:59] <Riceandbeans> prolly would
[07:23:14] <Oracle> last thing i saw like that dissapeared on update
[07:23:21] <Madt> We cant drop anything i think due to the model
[07:23:33] <Madt> the server cant take the stress or something liek that
[07:23:38] <Huntar> so its just a bug? D:
[07:23:45] <Oracle> i think so
[07:23:53] <Riceandbeans> its not really there then?
[07:24:01] <Madt> it has to be
[07:24:02] <Oracle> thats an option
[07:24:11] <Riceandbeans> =/
[07:24:18] <Oracle> its not reconised by the server
[07:24:31] <Madt> client sees it, server dont?
[07:24:34] <Oracle> or client
[07:24:38] <Wolfram> I once had a problem with a cow that could not be interacted with. took weeks for rolf to fix it
[07:24:38] <Madt> ah
[07:24:44] <Riceandbeans> is the test client still up?
[07:24:46] <Huntar> yay we fought fuel for nothing :V
[07:24:58] <Madt> this same sort of problem occured with the forest giant
[07:25:09] <Madt> its model was bugged and you couldnt mouse over it
[07:25:17] <Riceandbeans> u can put ur cursor over it but it has no outline
[07:25:20] <Oracle> well arti's dont just lay on the ground

Oracle heard our calls, much dirt was dumped, lava was spilled, many GM powers were cast upon the charm in attempts to remove it, all of which failed. Our fights had meant nothing, I skipped school to not gain, but to lose my gear in what was one of the first skirmishes of the day. And with all the power and struggles the server had put out over a single little artifact, the bugged charm of fo remained. Unmoved and untouched  by all forms and manner of GM power.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

Meeting my oldest friend Zkovacs when I bought my corbita from him, and proceeded to crash it into the nearest shore.

Tessy laying down the last tile of the Hellhound Trail in K16 (Xanadu) with Ingar and myself.

• Like 2

I've played since October 2011 (coming up on 5 years now) and I think my best memories were still of starting out as a nublet. Everything was so simple, but so hard; trying to survive with 1.0 FS... I have many fond memories of luring mobs away from my noobhut and of the many, many long walks from Esert (Exo starter deed, where I respawned at many, many times) all the way back to the north of the server where I lived. Oh yeah, and because I settled in the fog, I didn't notice that I had made my new hut about 40-50 tiles from the Red Dragon... he normally was polite and didn't cause any issues, but he came down from his little mountain once and attacked a local deed. I hid in a mine for over an hour.

I feel like I've met so many people along the way. It's sad to see many of them not play anymore, but I'm still in touch with a few people who incidentally are really good friends. Doing stuff on the staff team was also kinda like a "Wurm expansion pack" as well...

A few obligatory screenies from my last just under 5 years of wonderful memories of this game:

Spoiler

wurm.20111020.2126.jpg

View from my noobshack. You can see the dragon! Also note my tools, I had just gotten prem at that point and spent the 2s you get on some fancy tools. I'm pretty sure I still have that coc63 sickle too. Why on earth did I buy a skillgrinding sickle?! I must have really liked sprouts.

wurm.20111112.1432_1.jpg

My first boat! I promptly went on a 2-day tour of the server, visiting lots of big deeds and really seeing what Wurm had to offer. I'd been playing for about a month by this point and was really starting to fall in love with the game. I joined my first village a few days after this (and stopped eating a diet of 100% cooked meat, moving instead onto stew and then meals.)

wurm.20120414.2228.jpg

My first deed! (A few months after the boat pic.) Cormorant Isle Trading Post on Exodus. The idea of living on an island was so cool. I was 15 at the time though, and with about ~5 villagers involved along with a few silly mistakes on my part we ended up all falling out and I left the server shortly after.

wurm.20130329.2059.jpg

I moved to Deli, first living at a friends' place called Miya, but then buying a coastal deed called A Captain's Hideaway which I eventually made my own, living there for just over a year. It was a really nice spot :)

wurm.20150502.1914.jpg

I've since been on Chaos with MR, living predominantly at Ravenholm. Big deed with lots of people and is great fun! PvP is fun and different. Sadly a lot of people I know have since quit the game thanks to IRL churn, and I'm currently taking a break on Indy on a little mountain I now call home. Don't have as much time to play as I used to (doing a degree takes more time than school apparently) but still try to find the time to log in every now and again and keep working on Laurel, my mountain retreat:

wurm.20160314.2330.jpg

It's not much yet (I've mainly been doing literal tons of terraforming) but will someday be my foreverhome atop a mountain on Indy. The views are spectacular.

wurm.20160311.2344_2.jpg

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 4

I must have died 7 times in my first day or two in Wurm. Everywhere I went I was killed by wolves, scorpions, pheasants, everything. The best was first seeing a troll outside Blossom and a lava fiend in the first cave I poked my head inside. They both popped out of nowhere and scared me! I was hooked though.

Other great times: Sloooowly riding my first wagon to the coast, through croc-infested deserts to sell that first 1k of bricks. Building that first tower for a friend's deed with Wurm Academy folks. So much failing with the clay, but we did it! Getting stuck inside Smoke's fence after falling through a shrub and having to climb back up a cliff. Sometimes I don't even know HOW I took a year off from Wurm. 

• Like 2

Seeing Tarawick Tunnel on release completed.

I designed the canal (nublet dreams can become reality!), planned the main dig (the canal was actually going to be next to the road up originally but had to be shifted last moment because someone had deeded there and fotgotten to give us permissions) and lined up the tunnels (so many runs across the monster infested desert with my 20 fighting skill and a lot of lost counts due to scorpions) and then my aunt died on the day the digs started.  Took a break from wurm and came back to see that Tarator and Earwick had completed the tunnel in my absence ^_^

So many people turned up to make that canal, it was my first and last attempt at organising a large event.

• Like 1

the pendelton derby impalong

just, like, the whole thing

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, asdf said:

the pendelton derby impalong

just, like, the whole thing

Aha I remember this, this was when I came back to Wurm after a two-year long break, everything was so different and I remember walking alllll the way from north west deli down to pendelton in the south east, no horse or anything. 

Game would crash everytime I tried logging in

So, so many memories, been playing since alpha map 3. Can remember Horton's calls for bodies to come to Whosville for some epic task even back then.

In alpha the introduction of climbing and then realising my escape route from trolls was now no more after the inevitable death,  Having a base near mist and chatting with Barakus and Hawk plus other members of Mist.

In Beta becoming a fo priest, circumnavigating the map and getting back safely because of the heals (and still able to imp stuff)

In Gold 1 helping finally complete the Whosville Pyramid.

In Gold 2...

• the initial rush to the white light on server start and the fun staying alive on spider island before we decided where Whosville would now be situated.
  • Haraldstern as a Vynora champ (3-strikes type) removing his armour to enter a scorpion pit (mine) so he'd have more mobility to kill them (he did)
  • The transition to Mol-Rehan, the frantic effort to get the new Whosville capital built and the inevitable fight with JK, great fun.
  • Most of the Purgatory War, especially when Madt got drunk, on our side it was "whaaaaaaaat?" and when Horton fell into a JK mine and we all jumped after him.
  • various PvP deaths and kills each was special in its own way,
  • The period of turnaround from when MR was on its back foot and founded the House of Mol-Rehan through to the seige and takedown of Ebony Veil. brought us together more as a community.

• Like 1

Almost 3 years in Wurm and I have a lot of memories in this game. There is no one specific memory, so I list few different but dear memories.

• My first experience to the game was on December 2012. God I loved the game and many old graphics were still live that day. Unfortunately, I quit the game shortly, but game back after 8 months.

• My very first deed in Release. It was called Villa Alderpeak. A little deed to start the game on my own. Almost an year later I joined the local community, which was very friendly and we had a lot of fun together.

• Move to Xanadu. We knew there were some issues when travelling between the servers, but boy it did blew us away when we ended up on a mountain high with friend's knarr! Luckily GM was nearby solving another issue and saw your trouble and spawned us back to water.

• Finding every avatar of God in Release and Xanadu. First was Fo, next Vynora and back on Xanadu I saw Magranon and last Libila. Also I have found Nahjo, but it looks the same as all player gods. 

• First 5-speed and new coloured foals.

So awesome to hear these storys!

For me my most memorable moments have been those that made my heart sing or that made me feel really excited and scared maybe.

Pendelton was my first Impalong, it was really awesome!

Also, I gotta say I love to hear those storys from the early days, my neighbour Mith has told me some over the years, so many times I wished I had been there all along!

Keep telling us your special memories from the 10 Years of Wurm Online:wub:

Heh over ten years of Wurm... Ten would be right counting from the first gold launch. Then the second launch of gold in 2007 after recovering from a major server loss. Fun times >.<

That first moment after creating my first char and poking around solo. Fond memories of mates gained and lost over the years. Moments of triumph and moments of loss.

Too many moments to really single any one out.

googling free to play games and finding a small ( and i mean Real small ) description of Wurm.  

Registering and downloading,

starting it up for the very first time,

completing the tutorial

choosing Independence,

going thru the portal, 

almost sliding down the hill from the howl,

coming face to face with a troll... and dying.

8 hours after starting I was hooked

04/16/13 Someone has requested that a new player should be created for your account on Wurm Online with the name Stormblade.

3 years later and I haven't looked back.  

Also, been premium ever since.

The release of Wurm Unlimited. No griefers. No thieves. No worries. Well, except the fact that Rolf is a horrible programmer. 

My fondest memory is perhaps when one of our allies from other country in RL admitted to me having interest in me. Which "escalated" into us now living together, married and having a child together..

Edit: And the time in Chaos was fun, so many memorable things. Just want to share this one from that journey:

N8WKnRH.png

Edited by Raybarg
  • Like 5

I started playing early July 2009 and I've had loads of good and bad times in that period, One of the highlights was the bashing of the White Light on chaos, about 150 people were there. Another was the independence impalong of 2012.  Then there was the Goblin Leader kill on Exodus shortly after that server opened.

One of the biggest lows in game was the fall of Commorragh.

I wouldn't even know where exactly to start :) I'm having really nice memories from my first deed (and as a newbie immediately starting with very ambitious projects), memories of getting lost in old "mineshafts", memories of fighting desperately a venerable champion troll with all neighbours coming together (and everyone beeing kind of naked XD armor wise ).
Then I have lots of fond memories of exploring caves with friends and one time finding a 1 tile deep cave entrance, which we entered and got showered with scorpions, which made us run away screaming in fear, rolling downhill, so to say XD

Or the time when I started my Highway project the scar years ago (still going) to literally make a scar in a mountain. The beginning of that endeavour was feeling so overwhelming, it still is, but it's amazing how much has been done on it and how many people I met over it. ultimately the scar was kind of created for helping to bring the alliance together I was in, since we had people on both sides of the mountain. In that same alliance I also found my now husband ;D

There are so many more stories of travelling to kill the troll king and a white dragon, travelling to chaos to help raise my weapons against the overbearing MR forces, but mainly to help building a small town, that I think got quite a reputation then.

• Like 1

This was an easy one.  Hands down my best memory of Wurm is the day Independence opened in 2009 and I sailed with my RL son along with our good friend Kole from JKH to Independence, leaving Jenn-Kellon home forever.  The suspense; Rolf's global messages asking everyone to hold on while he fixed some last minute issues with crossing code; the generosity of players literally giving away tons of items knowing everything would be lost if left behind; the expectations of the start; the great exodus of people; all the ships lining up on the southern shoreline as far as the eye could see; the crossing and the three directions (left, ahead, right) that we had to decide once we arrived; wow, what a day that was!  I don't think any day will EVER top that for me.

I need to dig my old pc out of the closet to see if I have any pics on that box.  If I do, I will try to upload some!

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 5

Does anyone have pictures of the crossing to Independence, please post a couple here :)

For me it was definetly the day Indepedence opened and the fleet I was with left JKH for the unknown. The start of the game where you're learning how things work was definetly up there too. Overall I haven't had bad experiences over the last 9 years, it's mostly been great.

Memories..... So many to choose from. One that stands out is making the decision to leave Golden Valley through the Portal at Glitterdale to travel to Freedom. After living on GV for a few months I finally made the decision to travel on into the great unknown terrors of the Freedom (now called Independence) server. It was a one way trip and all I had created on GV would be left behind, including my one friend who lived beside me. Also at this time you had to pay to become a Premium player in order to travel there.

So I took all my meager possessions in a small cart to the portal. Loaded everything I could carry into my inventory, including another unfinished small cart just needing 1 nail to complete once reaching the other side. A deep mental breath was taken and then the Portal clicked which would whisk me there in the blink of an eye. *poof* I had arrived on Freedom! The symbolism was strong.

Made my first ever deed very close to Samling on an "undesirable" hill location and the true essence of Wurm in my experience had begun. Not long after I convinced my friend to travel to Freedom as well, with the invitation to live on my deed as long as desired. From then on building deeds has always been my thing and provided many more untold memorable moments over all those years. Hopefully you all will each have found your true affinity for Wurm as well.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

So many memories since 2007.  But i think my proudest moment was winning a treasure hunt for the first time.  I loaded up supplies, My best horse, And put on my best chain armor that i could make, And started following the clues. I found six of the hidden chests over a five hour period, And still the grand prize was hidden somewhere in the southeast.  Many people were tearing apart the world looking for it. And i felt i had no chance whatsoever to get it myself, But I decided i would try my luck anyway, And headed out.

I followed the clues to the letter, Completely disregarding everything that the players were telling each other on freedom. And I watched as all of them took off the wrong direction. Ten seconds later i caught a glimpse of a purple lamp in a mine. And a wall of scorpions waiting for a fight.  After separating and killing fifteen scorpions, unknown amounts of spiders and black bears, I was finally able to enter the mine. And what a mine it was, I traveled way down a huge slope tunnel which opened into a very large cavern, And was swamped with bears and spiders, Which i fought to the death, Because behind them i saw a large square area of purple lamps, And some strange kind of altar that i had never seen before.

Half dead i rode up to the altar, Opened it. And there it was, An almost complete set of green drake armor, Which i snatched as fast as i could click. I checked everything for more prizes, And tore out of that mine as fast as my horse could carry me.  Once outside on the road I put it on. And then announced on freedom. "Eyerobot wears a green drake jacket".

Only three people had the decency to congratulate me, The rest were very scornful. But i was in heaven. I had finally won the grand prize at something I worked hard for.  And the entire set was made by Willow, To whom I am ever grateful.

• Like 3