Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #22 Birthday Time!

4 hours ago, Nadroj said:

As Jake said, thatsliterally the opposite of what Keenan did, in fact a fair number of us are really pretty annoyed at how the community have treated him for being in MR, essentially acting like being one of us and being a Dev have anything to do with each other. Which has, in part, caused him to go live on Freedom. Some of us think you're all a bunch of whiney, flamebaiting trolls who can't just leave a person alone to get on with their damn job and enjoy the game too and we miss our friend who now avoids playing on chaos just for the sake of said whiney bitches.

You guys partially missed my point.  It would have been a little more clear if I'd have said "Keenan joined a PvP kingdom", and I'll reiterate that by saying his choice to join MR, not BL or JK, has no bearing on my previous post.  Nor am I accusing Keenan of somehow abusing his staff position to help MR, I know better than that.

That being said, being repeatedly told "we're working on PvP, but it'll be a few more weeks" is getting old.  PvP is a fairly loose term the way it is referenced in Retro's posts, and it could mean any actions that take place on Chaos, not just two players taking axes to each others' skulls. 

We want to know what you're discusing and planning, not what you've already done.  All I'm saying is word it a little better.  "We're looking into PvP" would sound much more appealing if you broke it down into the multiple little things I'm sure you'll be discussing in the coming weeks.  "We're looking into catapult damage" or "we're looking into reducing the effects of sorcery items" or hey I know.... "we're tossing around some possibilities for new meditation choices for PvPers".  When you simply say you're looking into "PvP" it gives me the impression that the only thing you're looking into is empty bag of Oreos next to your keyboard.

And if you don't want to go into specifics further than that... fine.  We don't need to know that Path of Hate is going to get a new ability and Path of Insanity is still going to be useless for another week.  Those that aren't happy are free to complain about that later when the time comes.

On 3 June 2016 at 3:57 PM, Retrograde said:

Every account will receive an anniversary gift box, as well as the returning player packs for those with over 14 days playtime and purchase premium time!
(Clarification: player must be non premium and over 14 days playtime at time of purchase)
The returners pack consists of an extra anniversary gift box, a toolbox containing a random tin tool, and the special returners mask!

It isn't live yet from what I can see. When will this be live?

On 2016-06-04 at 7:12 PM, Sila said:

Everyone gets 5s??????   Lets go shopping

This is for returning players that pay premium before todays update.

Sin:
When I asked Retrograd for a time he said it would probably be updated when Keenan wakes up, so some hour more maybe?

Expectation

emperorYurik.jpg

Reality

17 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

help this please.. What is that?

oAKe6Lz.png

• Like 4

Well it is the 6th when is the update to get the rewards? 

• Like 2

It depends on who is doing it I guess. Our Devs are all over the planet. :)

Nevermind i was misinformed! Damn kids!

Edited by Nadroj

19 hours ago, Keenan said:

Jake and Nadroj has the right of it.

I moved off Chaos and essentially left MR as a full member due to countless attacks and accusations from people who couldn't handle a developer also playing in PvP. I love what I do for this game more than I love what server I play on, so I made the choice to move to Exodus full-time.

As for my smart remarks, they're the result of being frustrated with how little people actually do listen when we announce things. Case in point being the numerous times we've mentioned that PvP will be properly addressed after Rifts and the new rendering engine is launched. Rifts are in post-release, which means we are still balancing and watching this feature and the new rendering engine was held back due to issues and is still a current project. I even said on the last news post that I will be doing a focused effort on not just implementing battering rams, but fixing issues with catapulting and structures that plague PvP. But you did not listen to this.

So yes, I will do cheeky smart remarks with a little smiley face as I go back to fixing important bugs and donating my time. :) Maybe you'll read and comprehend what is being said this time, or maybe we'll be back again next week for more remarks and smiles! Everyone loves smiles. :):)

But listening is hurrd.

On 6/3/2016 at 7:57 AM, Retrograde said:

(Clarification: player must be non premium and over 14 days playtime at time of purchase)

Just an observation here.  It really should have specified "336 hours spent in game."  Saying "14 days playtime" is very misleading.  Not everyone automatically makes the calculation of 14x24hrs when they think about how many days they've played, since no one plays 24 hours a day.  One has to wonder how many people reprem'd thinking they qualified for the returners mask, who played 3 hours a day for 6 months, only to find that they were supposed to divide their days by 24.

Yeah I assumed it was 14 days of real time but  i only glance at it since i work with one character which is always premmed..

Edited by Psalamon
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Amadee said:

Just an observation here.  It really should have specified "336 hours spent in game."  Saying "14 days playtime" is very misleading.  Not everyone automatically makes the calculation of 14x24hrs when they think about how many days they've played, since no one plays 24 hours a day.  One has to wonder how many people reprem'd thinking they qualified for the returners mask, who played 3 hours a day for 6 months, only to find that they were supposed to divide their days by 24.

There is nothing misleading.. /playtime shows exact time you have been in game ([12:43:42] You have played x days, x hours and x minutes).. Starting to convert that info to hours etc, that would be misleading.

5 hours ago, rixk said:

There is nothing misleading.. /playtime shows exact time you have been in game ([12:43:42] You have played x days, x hours and x minutes).. Starting to convert that info to hours etc, that would be misleading.

Then I feel they should specify that they mean the /playtime and not "play time."  Maybe it should say something like you must have 14 days /playtime and then in parentheses say 336 hours (or something).  As I said elsewhere, not everyone makes that connection. I didn't and I know that there are others who didn't either. 

Seeing the announcement on the web site where it says 14 days "play time" with the two words separated, it looks like you need to have played for 14 days. The average person, imo, is going to read it that way no matter how "in-the-know" the Wurm vets are or how many other games use that system. 

The promotion is aimed at a genuine returning player and they shouldn't be expected to reinstall the game so they can log in and check their /playtime to see if they qualify before making a decision, or even to know they would need to.   Hell I didn't even know about /playtime til after I'd been playing for over a year. 

How many of the stated target audience are really going to know that, I wonder?  How many are going to be able to think back to when they played, and try to figure out if their 6 months premium had enough hours per day to equal 14 days of /playtime even if they know that's what is meant?  And how many are going to feel they were mislead if they do come back, reprem, reinstall the game, log on, contact support for missing returners gifts, etc. and then get told *You just read it wrong, but thanks for the 2 months prem?

My bringing this up is not to get anything changed about this particular promotion retroactively per se, so I don't see it as just a complaint, but to bring attention to something I feel needs to change going forward. It's something I feel is a bit misleading, maybe not intentionally, but still misleading nonetheless.  It's a matter of interpretation and since Wurm is full of people for whom English isn't their first language, clarity is important.

I'm certainly not attacking, nor making any accusations of intentional wrongdoing on the part of code club.  And to be honest, I've been really surprised at some of the responses I've gotten.

Edited by Amadee

Edit: Were the packs only available yesterday?

Edited by Turnips

Turnips my best understanding is that this promotion is supposed to run all week and if you reprem after the 24th of last month when not being prem currently you get the returners pack as well as the anniversary present.

In response to Amadee you are getting so much flak because you persist in arguing that the language of the promotion was unclear.  I will take it at face value that you genuinely failed to understand the language behind the promotion but does it strike you as reasonable that an attempt to entice people back would target someone with a minimum of 14 calendar days played, that's basically saying anyone who ever bought premium.  And seeing as how the game can be free to play my expectation would be what I saw people I know who repremmed doing.  Popping in for the first time in months if not years to ask 'whats going on', 'whats new', 'omg what's that building in your mine!', 'you mean they finally added bridges' and stuff and getting the scope of the land.  While the wording might confuse the average person, I doubt there was much for the average GAMER.

a special anniversary gift box for every premium player!

The boxes will contain a random item, including possibly some of these!

• Supreme bone
  • Transmutation rod
  • Staff of the land
  • Pale mask
  • Plumed helm of the hunt
  • Cavalier helm

This was hugely misleading, all I got was a sleep powder!

• Like 1

Congratulation Wurm, to a decade of fun!

Edit: Got a sleep powder as well. Just for the statistics. Thank you! :-)

Edited by Smilingcat

Will we be getting an update soon on the events planned for the weekend?

On 6/7/2016 at 0:57 PM, Dalvin said:

Turnips my best understanding is that this promotion is supposed to run all week and if you reprem after the 24th of last month when not being prem currently you get the returners pack as well as the anniversary present.

Ahh I see, thank you very much!

So just to clarify; every account (so any non-premium account) will receive the anniversary gift box, correct? Not just premium members who repremed last month, as they would receive the returners pack and an extra gift box like you mentioned in your post? As right now I'm non-prem but haven't received a gift box... :(

• Like 1

Birthday candles...just in time for a friend who has a birthday coming up...not sure we can fit enough candles on the cake, though!  :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turnips said:

Ahh I see, thank you very much!

So just to clarify; every account (so any non-premium account) will receive the anniversary gift box, correct? Not just premium members who repremed last month, as they would receive the returners pack and an extra gift box like you mentioned in your post? As right now I'm non-prem but haven't received a gift box... :(

All premium accounts receive the anniversary gift box.  The returner's pack are for those whose premium had lapsed in the past and they repremed during the set time, and also had at least 14 days of playtime (viewable through the command /playtime).  

3 hours ago, elf said:

Birthday candles...just in time for a friend who has a birthday coming up...not sure we can fit enough candles on the cake, though!  :lol:

I would start running now, Elf. :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lisabet said:

All premium accounts receive the anniversary gift box.  The returner's pack are for those whose premium had lapsed in the past and they repremed during the set time, and also had at least 14 days of playtime (viewable through the command /playtime).  

Ohh, because of the wording I thought that it meant each and every account regardless of premium status would get a gift, and then premium members would get the extra gifts, not that all of this is for premium members only. Thank you! I was really confused for a while there hahah.

Edit: Huh, I guess the opening post's wording was changed and now its clarifying that its all premium members only. I swear I wasn't just seeing things and that it originally said all accounts would receive them! lol

Edited by Turnips