Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

A PVP Anniversary Present

I saw an interesting post in the Epic forum where someone suggested that Rolf call the Chaos map "won" by MR and that he should create a new map for PVP, shut down Epic and merge all WO PVP to the new map.

What are your thoughts on that being something Rolf should consider for Wurm's 10th anniversary?

• Like 2

You would still have the same problems that were brought up last time.  What to do with the skills of Epic.  Their skill gains are much different and some of them play on both servers and some do not wish to play on chaos/epic.  How many pages did the last thread like this bring up?

Merge wont solve anything, only make it worse. Look at elevation reset, this also was a bad decision.

• Like 1

Should just shut down Chaos/Epic servers and start a new pvp server and hopefully get people from the WO to join. numbers are not getting better in Chaos/Epic anyways

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glasse said:

Should just shut down Chaos/Epic servers and start a new pvp server and hopefully get people from the WO to join. numbers are not getting better in Chaos/Epic anyways

This is precisely why I and so many others bring this up frequently.  The numbers are tanking across the board.  We all know one thing about Wurm, new maps, and what they do to numbers and revenue...

It's time...

Meh Chaos hasn't been "won" yet... not even over 50% influence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pashka said:

You would still have the same problems that were brought up last time.  What to do with the skills of Epic.  Their skill gains are much different and some of them play on both servers and some do not wish to play on chaos/epic.  How many pages did the last thread like this bring up?

Actually, the question of skills is probably the only thing Rolf might be hung up on.  Personally, given how long Epic has been in place, I don't think it is unfair to just let Epic players have their Epic skills on Freedom.  If it were a case of 6 months or a year, yeah, we would be looking at an unfair advantage.  But now, come on, it really isn't that big of a deal that their numbers are where they are.  Let them have their numbers as a consolation.  The Chaos players can handle them just fine, imho.

• Like 1

better idea would be to force wu to be pve only so people have to play wo to pvp

otherwise they'll just keep playing wu and now you just angered whatever loyal players were left and probably push a lot of them away or to wu too

• Like 1

If I recall the last thread.  There were some that didn't want to have to transfer from Epic to Chaos.  Some that didn't want to transfer from Epic to Chaos.  And what on earth would you do with a player that has played on Both Epic and Chaos.  Give them the higher numbers in each skill?  I do think there is an issue with the skill gain that Epic has in comparison though.  How long Epic has been around doesn't change that for me at least.  There was something in the last thread about items too that noone could agree to.

13 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

better idea would be to force wu to be pve only so people have to play wo to pvp

otherwise they'll just keep playing wu and now you just angered whatever loyal players were left and probably push a lot of them away or to wu too

Don't think WU is the issue, just that Combat System in Wurm is dreadful for most players

40 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Don't think WU is the issue, just that Combat System in Wurm is dreadful for most players

That combined with the "lose everything" nature of complete looting free for all combat builds a serious barrier to entry for Wurm PvP. I'd call it an almost perfect anti-dabbler system, actively driving away anyone who isn't already a hardcore pvper.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

Merge wont solve anything, only make it worse. Look at elevation reset, this also was a bad decision.

elevation reset helped..... if ele didnt reset it wouldve been dead a long time ago. At least with the reset there were a ###### ton of players and pvp for a while before it died.

A map reset solves nothing without further PvP balance and changes.

-1 to yet another map reset thread.

• Like 1

what is CC hosted an official PvP/PvE 2 server cluster on WU?  They could do character transfers and any that transfer go poof on WO.  New world, one time fee for the account, then it is just a matter of what price for deeds/upkeep and ingame features, like templars, etc.

Honestly, I could see all of WO eventually migrate over at some point.  Then CC would have instant access to all the great mods, but as players we could have servers that are officially moderated, giving a bit more confidence than wondering if the server we are on is running in some kid's, mom's basement.

I'd dearly love to see an "official" WU template that any one can run, using their own maps & allowing linking to all other official template servers.  Knowing skill gains and loot is enforced to certain standards would be fantastic.  No popping into another server, skilling to 100, then popping back.

I've probably gone a bit off topic, but I do see massive potential for Code Clubs future, if they leverage the WU model more.

Im not talking about a map reset, map reset dont change the game. People have their skills, they can just sit at their deed and wank of as much as they want, They have no reason to be outside.

Epic should be a skill reset, and Chaos should get like a 6month ending to declare the winner. And then just create a new server for both epic/Chaos. Epic was supposed to be a reset server of skill at first.

The only people intressted in Epic atm is the one with their high skill accounts. Epic server wont attract new players due to the difference of the skill inbetween a new account and a old account.

Sorry for the bad english, been working all night long

wurm pvp just isn't compatible without resets, after 3-4 years it always turns sour, epic was released late 2011 so lets say 2012, i'd say epic turned into ###### not long after the new ele map came into play in 2015, and even before that it stagnated, the peak was probably 2013 as 1.0 was launched and there were 200+ people on jkh online at the same time

5 minutes ago, changer said:

wurm pvp just isn't compatible without resets, after 3-4 years it always turns sour, epic was released late 2011 so lets say 2012, i'd say epic turned into ###### not long after the new ele map came into play in 2015, and even before that it stagnated, the peak was probably 2013 as 1.0 was launched and there were 200+ people on jkh online at the same time

I've heard of that, i wish i was there at the time rip.

On 6/3/2016 at 1:04 PM, MrGARY said:

They wouldn't play eitherway, bad idea -1

On 6/3/2016 at 1:04 PM, MrGARY said:

The problem is that WU has far better gameplay happening now then WO does when it comes to PVP. Now if there was actual visible PVP development going on in the WO world then perhaps this would be a viable, if not likable option. Running a PVP server takes a lot of effort compared to running a PVE server of the same size.

Wurm's population is at a low. Not Epic, not Chaos, but Wurm as a whole. People have stopped playing both PvP and PvE. It's easy to ignore the bigger picture, look only at your own server's numbers, and think "if only Rolf ran things the way I would have run them, we'd have hundreds of players on PvP right now". And maybe some of the balance issues and map issues did drive a few of the vets away from PvP, but SotG and glimmersteel and Truestrike don't explain why the PvE numbers have been declining as well. Truth be told, the core of the population problem probably isn't to do with PvP at all, yet we're perfectly happy to use it as an excuse to ramrod our own pet issues down the staff's throats, even if those pet issues involve giving the middle finger to 50% of the PvP population. It's totally self-destructive and solves nothing.

• Like 8

I actually agree with the comment that the problem is one of overall population. It is too low. I currently estimate that total PVP population can't be more then around 150 - 200 players amongst all WU and WO servers combined.

On 6/3/2016 at 9:42 AM, LorenaMontana said:

No. It was a bad idea to think that the map reset alone would fix the problems and to leave it at that. It was a bad idea to replace old Elevation with the current map specifically. It would have been fine if the old map had been replaced with a good map and then the mechanics changes were implemented - the same ones that we were promised months ago and we still haven't gotten.

PvP overall needs an entire overhaul taking into account all of the current problems before Rolf should even think about any kind of new map otherwise in 6-12months we'll just be back at the same situation with people complaining. As things are right now alot of the current problems are results of past problems just getting bandaid fixes and knee jerk reaction nerfs and buffs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emoo said:

PvP overall needs an entire overhaul taking into account all of the current problems before Rolf should even think about any kind of new map otherwise in 6-12months we'll just be back at the same situation with people complaining. As things are right now alot of the current problems are results of past problems just getting bandaid fixes and knee jerk reaction nerfs and buffs. 

we'll always be at the same point if the server runs with enough time, that's why wurm pvp needs constant resets every 2-3 years

When Wild was created, or turned to Chaos. Noone talked about it having a lifetime, or "declaration of being won" would result in anything.

So some people built an empire, collapsed oppositions, conquered majority of the land... and then they should see it go down the toilet?

Sounds kinda unfair.

Anyone asked the "victors" what would they prefer?

Or did OP perhaps consider the thoughts that Chaos would remain as PvE server, "owned" by the "victors"?