Sign in to follow this  
Dazama

Need more to do with fishing skill

I would agree with many of the posts here that more should be done with fishing and since there exists vessels available, perhaps more should be done within the available waters.

There is fish, crabs, but I haven't discovered any shellfish, or other creatures of the sea. Seen sharks, but given to think shouldn't there be more animals available to catch or hunt?

Whales for whalehunting.

Seals or Sealions.

Shellfish (oysters) - chance to discover pearls, the more rare: red pearl, black pearl.

Coral, Abalone

When I was farming, having created a rice patty. My biggest worry was attracting snakes. They are after all an encounter. Shouldn't they also be in the water that players are fishing?

If there are snakes in the water, why not eels?

By the way. See kelp in the water. Is it harvestable? If not, it should be. If it is harvestable. With fish, there should be drying racks available for both.

There's a lot of coastline on the map. Why isn't the water used as main resource.

Something else I noticed. Vynora is a deity that allows you to pray near the water. A deity of fisherman and those that rely on the sea? Could be, maybe. Pray for calm seas and a better catch, if nets are implemented. Highest QL fish in the catch as an offering.

+1 for this and Ultima Online did have awesome fishing.  Had a lot of awesome things I'd like to see from UO in Wurm.

I introduce to you the Buccan... also on a side note, the origin of the term buccaneer.

Dont forget the odd seaserpent from UO.

But yes UO had the best fishing i have seen around.

Can always add fishing takle also , lures and flys , 

Add new skill , Outdoors   ,  lets you make anything related to fishing takle and maybe few other items =taxidermy.....

• Like 1

FF11 had a very good fishing system also

You could get around 30 + different fishes plus Non-fish targets, and sometimes even a Monster to spawn

Could make some money off the loot and could complete in fishing contest's and earn items from the Fishing Guild

You also had a ton of different lures/baits and poles for fishing different fishes

• Like 1

Fish stored in bins, definite yes

other ideas -

baiting the hook with foraged creepy crawlies for better catch

using a net trap to dredge the ocean floor for small fish, and possibly for other stuff, like oysters (with pearls)

• Like 1

On 2016-06-06 at 3:52 PM, Alyeska said:

Fish stored in bins, definite yes

other ideas -

baiting the hook with foraged creepy crawlies for better catch

using a net trap to dredge the ocean floor for small fish, and possibly for other stuff, like oysters (with pearls)

attach a net instead of a square of cloth to steel and rope, could gather fish, crab, shellfish and at what ever skill a chance to get a tiny treasure.

On 2016-06-06 at 0:15 PM, enoofu said:

FF11 had a very good fishing system also

You could get around 30 + different fishes plus Non-fish targets, and sometimes even a Monster to spawn

Could make some money off the loot and could complete in fishing contest's and earn items from the Fishing Guild

You also had a ton of different lures/baits and poles for fishing different fishes

Being Follower /Priest of Vynora, could increase the chance. Just as being a follower /priest of Fo could increase catch. Being the follower/ priest of another deity might also grant something from the bottom. Many treasures lay at the bottom of the sea. With a drag net, there could be an added benefit to fishing.

Monsters: giant crab (knock you out of a small boat), electric eel, giant sea snake, a school of pirahna (really bad if you happened to be standing in the water while fishing)

• Like 1

On 10. 6. 2016 at 8:06 PM, Aszhrae said:

Monsters: giant crab (knock you out of a small boat), electric eel, giant sea snake, a school of pirahna (really bad if you happened to be standing in the water while fishing)

Giant sea snake is already there http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sea_serpent

being able to summon it by too active fishing in area could be really cool

How about a new map and instead of land it will be open sea. Sort of a water world meant for the fishermen and those who choose to live at sea. Then you can add cool features in this water world.

Edited by Shamgar

Fishing has never appealed to me in this game.
no real reason. i'd like it to. it'd introduce a new way of appreciating my own hard work and the environment i had created.
so I vote +1 towards greater use and appeal

Edited by Steveleeb

On 2016-06-13 at 8:06 AM, Zakerak said:

Giant sea snake is already there http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sea_serpent

being able to summon it by too active fishing in area could be really cool

It's Nessy or Ogo Pogo.

It would be nice to be able to summon wildlife that have been previously encountered.

+1 for fishing to be improved upon

+1 wouldn't mind to fish a Magazine or a pair of cloth boots from the water =))

• Like 1

It would be nice to somehow "meaningfully" fish while sailing around. As it stands now your only chances for some excitement occur when you encounter a water bear or if you afk sail into a huge spider gathering.

The oceans are generally sterile and boring.

6 hours ago, newman330 said:

The oceans are generally sterile and boring.

I completely agree.