Sign in to follow this  
Dazama

Need more to do with fishing skill

Sorry if this has been brought up. I searched for a topic like this posted within 1 month and found nothing.

Fishing needs a bit more added to it. At one point when spawns were a bit lower, fishing was more useful. Now since the spawn increase, fishing seems a bit redundant. you can easily kill pigs, chickens, cows, bulls, etc. since they are not so rare(at least on PVE servers) anymore, cook the meat, store the meat indefinitely. What we need is the ability to cook a fish whole and throw it into an fsb like we can do with meat, and have it weigh .9 kg as well per unit. It can be classified as cooked fish so if one tames creatures that eat fish over meat, they can still have the option to do so.

Another would be to catch something besides just fish. Anything from random ql logs that have a random weight of 1kg-24kg, leather boots of random ql, nails(large or small), planks(hull or regular), or even a small chance of rare/supreme items of various things(on drum rolls of course), etc.. I believe it would make fishing a tad more interesting in the game. I am aware some people fish to get meat to level their taming/cooking, but I am sure there is more that can be done.

Anyone have any input or alternative views on this suggestion?

Also sorry for any grammar or spelling errors that might be present.

Edited by Dazama
  • Like 4

+1

Fishing needs some more action. Something to wake up at the crack of dawn to. I think someone mentioned before something about using nets to fish. That would be great to. Being able to use a net from a ship at higher levels. Whale hunting?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

Fishmeal as a fertilizer, maybe?

Interesting idea. Would it be to grow plants faster, yield more crops, increase lifespan when fully grown, or something like that? Just curious.

41 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

Fishmeal as a fertilizer, maybe?

You can already use peat + wood scrap combination.

Spoiler

But you gotta build a hammock first :^)

+1 to OP, always for more options, and this particular suggestion sounds like fun.

28 minutes ago, Dazama said:

Interesting idea. Would it be to grow plants faster, yield more crops, increase lifespan when fully grown, or something like that? Just curious.

Any of the above works. I'm rather partial to increasing the effective skill of the harvester based on the QL of the fishmeal used. So someone with Farming of 50 would get 50+ QL crops/more crops from a fertilized field.

Creating fish farms with wood scrap fencing in shallow water.

Keeping and breeding fish in wooden tubs?

+1 higher fishing skill you catch less junk and more fish though. The fish to get mats tho is a good idea for new players. We get certain junk items from forage. Why not different ones from fishing. But it needs an overhaul on the timer etc to get people interested in leveling it. 

Ooo junk items from fishing that were actually disposed of by players... trash bin? Sacrifice?

12 hours ago, luvable said:

+1 higher fishing skill you catch less junk and more fish though. The fish to get mats tho is a good idea for new players. We get certain junk items from forage. Why not different ones from fishing. But it needs an overhaul on the timer etc to get people interested in leveling it. 

What junk? I can't recall having ever caught anything other than fish.

4 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Aye why not, bits of Kelp, reed, maybe fishing lines?

Problem with fishing is that it currently designed to feed new players or to quickly gain fish for taming

Much like all food items its hurt by

Sacrificing a rare item (which also does the above)

Also doesn't seem like a skill that is profitable in any way or makes bling items for a deed

Edited by enoofu

8 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Problem with fishing is that it currently designed to feed new players or to quickly gain fish for taming

Also doesn't seem like a skill that is profitable in any way or makes bling items for a deed

yeah the Dev's never really considered the balance of these things it seems

Believe one of the most requesting things to help fishing is Taxidermy

Also maybe decent ways to setup automatic fishing contest for some decent awards

or just a way to preserve a trophy for a contest purposes

26 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Believe one of the most requesting things to help fishing is Taxidermy

Also maybe decent ways to setup automatic fishing contest for some decent awards

21 hours ago, Darmalus said:

I was referring to him saying add junk to catch. And I meant,  at higher skills you can catch less junk.

16 hours ago, enoofu said:

Refresh spell only refills stamina and has a cooldown anyway

I make risotto and store it in a magic chest, it's nice to make heavy chunks at once and end up with 100kg+ of food that can last a long time if only a couple people eat it, still good for a whole village its much better than spamming meals so to me fishing has better 'worth' than animal meat already

Edited by MrGARY

Wurm should implement a version of ultima online fishing system... That was the best system for fishing in any game ive played. 

Like the OP mentions allow fishing up boots leather pillows tapestry.. I would take it a step further and also implement messages in a bottle with an sos message. The message reads something in terms of coordinents where you can go to fish up some sunken treasure. Make sos fairly rare and make the loot a few random coins random items of random ql.. Make it mostly common stuff with a small chance to get more rarity items but nothing crazy. No sorcery items, no moonmetal or seryl lumps but possibly chance of a moonmetal or seryl item. I

Other chance of items fill in the blanks..

None of these MOBs should obtainable while fishing on thd same spot for hours. This should promote sailing and fishing out at sea. Infact a very small %

Of fishing up one of these from the shore line.

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

Have to agree with Maurizio.... base on UO fishing. Best fishing system ever implemented 

2 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

Wurm should implement a version of ultima online fishing system... That was the best system for fishing in any game ive played. 

Like the OP mentions allow fishing up boots leather pillows tapestry.. I would take it a step further and also implement messages in a bottle with an sos message. The message reads something in terms of coordinents where you can go to fish up some sunken treasure. Make sos fairly rare and make the loot a few random coins random items of random ql.. Make it mostly common stuff with a small chance to get more rarity items but nothing crazy. No sorcery items, no moonmetal or seryl lumps but possibly chance of a moonmetal or seryl item. I

Other chance of items fill in the blanks..

None of these MOBs should obtainable while fishing on thd same spot for hours. This should promote sailing and fishing out at sea. Infact a very small %

Of fishing up one of these from the shore line.

1 hour ago, newman330 said:

Have to agree with Maurizio.... base on UO fishing. Best fishing system ever implemented 

Ok, I played UO but I never fished.

Could you help me and possibly the dev's with a few descriptive sentences about the process? 

One man's junk is another's treasure.

Aye, UO wise the devs eventually removed hunger and the need to eat (similar has happened in Wurm... no longer die from hunger), so fishing that had been the main means of quickly stocking food, kinda fell out of use.

It was still used; though, was no longer a necessity to many.

How about actually being able to bin fish, in some form or another? Dry it on racks or smoke it or something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

How about actually being able to bin fish, in some form or another? Dry it on racks or smoke it or something.

I like the notion of smoked fish, or dried with salt?

20 hours ago, Tallios said:

I like the notion of smoked fish, or dried with salt?

A use for salt would be nice.

For smoking, some kind of smoking apparatus that functions similarly to a smelter would be good, but that requires the fish/meat to be in there for a couple days in order to be fully prepared... but with a longer burn time per unit of fuel, obviously.