Sign in to follow this  
Arium

Would you like to see the new render go live on the stable client on the 6th?

As of now, theres less than a week to go until the 10th birthday of Wurm Online which is supposed to bring the new and highly anticipated new renderer which is already running on the unstable client for several days now.

Many people tried it, encountered a lot of issues, and some of them have been solved.

But with the time until the current ETA becoming less and less, id like to hear an opinion of those who tried it whether they think it should make its way into the client stable or be delayed further.

While most people in my alliance used to run the unstable client before the new renderer, most of them refuse to touch it at all now, and i think this is no pointless refusal for sure.

i myself have been running it pretty much every day since the new renderer went live, and i for one strongly suggest to delay it making its way into the stable client for the time being.

why?

well, random reconnects, mirrored horses, mirrored players, a number of people not being able to even start up the client at all, opening a bigger number of bsbs/crates leads to crashes. i could continue this list for several more points but a quick look at the client bugs section while give a good impression of why i suggest this.

while i do enjoy the new light rendering, i think leaving it the way it currently is for an indefinite time is best. the stable client using the old renderer and, for those who dont mind the occasional crash, reconnect and what else might happen, the unstable client offering the new renderer.

another point i might see a problem with is news announcing wurms 10th birthday. some people might see it and return, or just want to give it a try. having to bother with problems like not even being able to start up the game at all will probably drive off quite a few of the potential new players.

but i still want to hear from other people who used the unstable client.

whats your opinion?

think the new renderer should go live on the 6th, or be delayed?

maybe we could even get a statement from retro about the current plans regarding the full release?

• Like 4

No. I lag terribly with it. Even with settings turned way down. 

• Like 4

It's pretty obvious to say that we wont push this out if the issues are not rectified. That said, updates, fixes and optimization projects are ongoing and we will hopefully have it ready by the 6th, or failing that, much more stable.

We're monitoring all feedback and client bugs reported, so please do continue to use those, as they are the only way we can track issues.

• Like 5

Personally i havnt been able to load it on anything but minimal settings, it crashes on startup. My PC is far beyond any requirements Wurm would need, i'm normally able to run like 10 clients on max settings but this new renderer slays itself before i get to have a look xD

• Like 4

fantastically low frame rates and lag all around for me in the unstable...

but then i posted all that in some thread already, idk there are so many threads on the same topic....

so the answer is a resounding NO from me

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 2

-1000 NO... Nooooo ...

until such time that the unstable client is compatible with AMD graphics cards. I am sure you guys are working on it ;)

• Like 2

no, not until the FPS is the same between current engine and the new. Currently the new one cases a significant drop.

stable 35 to 40 FPS

unstable ~15.

both using the same configuration.

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's pretty obvious to say that we wont push this out if the issues are not rectified. That said, updates, fixes and optimization projects are ongoing and we will hopefully have it ready by the 6th, or failing that, much more stable.

We're monitoring all feedback and client bugs reported, so please do continue to use those, as they are the only way we can track issues.

Testing my AMD off!

No thanks, I went back to using the stable client. Disconnects and very low performance issues same settings (even on the lowest settings I could not hit 60 fps). On the flip side colours looked great much deeper and richer.

No.  Not all video cards work.  This will cause lots of players not to be able to play. 

I think some thing needs to be fixed on the stable client, I have encountered invisible players and every now and then there is a flicker in the lighting.

Edited by JakeRivers

I got like 0-1 fps on new client yet i use the old one w/o issue. and i admit my compu aint brande new but it plays GTA V and Fallout 4 spo it cant be that bad..

thanks.. but i will try new client right now that i have found that changes have been made..

The new renderer runs like a dream on my machine, better than the old one (especially as far as shadows are concerned) and is real eye candy. Given how many people I've known to play Wurm with toaster and other household objects, however, there seems to be a need for people to be able to run in minimum settings and I dread to think what a unique fight will be like in this renderer.

Oh, and obviously the whole "it crashes a lot" and "some people I know can't even run the new unstable client for immediate crashes"

That and some of my dyed stuff changed shade (127-127-127 is no longer neutral - it's dark, which is a strange thing to dye around)

But I do look forward to the update, even if it means it being out of the 6th of next month.

I have a top-end machine with the latest AMD card and I'm still lucky to get 30fps on the stable client, which drops down to 5-12fps on unstable. When they said the new renderer would improve performance, I had a hunch that it would be at AMD users' expense. And sure enough, that turned out to be stunningly accurate. AMD cards have probably been an afterthought for many years and we're just now shining a spotlight on it.

• Like 2

Has it been checked on Macs? I remember one time, not a single Mac player could log on after an update. No one even tried opening up the game on a Mac for testing.

I've been running the unstable client on Macs for a while.   The latest update still doesn't work for  me with GLSL enabled (either core or extension).  Yesterday it was unusable even with GLSL disabled. Frame rate was  a miserable 1fps.  When I ran on the Mac (same specs)  from home it was better, but frame rate was 5-7 FPS and there were a few display bugs  - dyes not showing etc.  I'll try again later today.

9 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

Has it been checked on Macs? I remember one time, not a single Mac player could log on after an update. No one even tried opening up the game on a Mac for testing.

Yes, it has been checked on at least one, I remember that incident and don't want to end up in that situation again. That said there are probably not many testing with the Mac client - and as with PCs there are different Mac with various graphics cards (and drivers).

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:11 AM, Retrograde said:

It's pretty obvious to say that we wont push this out if the issues are not rectified.

Sorry but I don't think this is obvious at all. The god of Wurm has a habit of pushing things into the game before they have found to be working effectively. This is history and maybe you have not been around long enough to experience its consistency.

That aside, I never use the Unstable Client and am not about to now to test this system. From the comments made within this thread I am glad that I am not using Unstable, as I have always waited for the Developers to do their job effectively before releasing it to the Stable main client. As long as this system is kept on the Unstable Client I have no problem with it and will depend upon the comments of the more daring players who venture there for a preview of what is hoped to be worked out effectively.

tldr? Yea, keep it on Unstable until perfected.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Sorry but I don't think this is obvious at all. The god of Wurm has a habit of pushing things into the game before they have found to be working effectively. This is history and maybe you have not been around long enough to experience its consistency.

That aside, I never use the Unstable Client and am not about to now to test this system. From the comments made within this thread I am glad that I am not using Unstable, as I have always waited for the Developers to do their job effectively before releasing it to the Stable main client. As long as this system is kept on the Unstable Client I have no problem with it and will depend upon the comments of the more daring players who venture there for a preview of what is hoped to be worked out effectively.

tldr? Yea, keep it on Unstable until perfected.

=Ayes=

Yes, in the past unfinished projects may have been pushed, but we aren't planning on continuing that trend.

As for testing it yourself, please do, there's absolutely zero way for you to know how it runs on your pc until you try it, it doesn't harm you in any way, but may provide valuable feedback to us, or may even work great for you. Better to test it now and give feedback on any issues before it becomes the stable version and find out it doesn't work for you then.

I have it running on my AMD CPU/GPU by disabling VBO and disabling shadows. There's still a crash going on that seems to happen around marble bridges. It has not happened around stone or wood. I played all morning with the unstable at as well and in some cases better fps than stable. Other than the marble bridge problem, it seems to be working with those two things turned off.

I tried it again yesterday and if anything the crashes/disconnecting seemed WORSE then when it was first released to the unstable client.

Not to mention, it handles a large amount of light sources horribly. It looks like a damn disco party strobe light with multiple lamps around.

Edited by Alyeska

I'd quit until they fixed the DC issue.  So no.

The new client won't be going live on the 6th.

We still have a few different crashes we need to sort out before that happens, and I have a few other smaller issues I want fixed before we go live with it too - not to mention the FPS issues on AMD cards.

• Like 1