Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Rift scouts roaming the wilds & treasure

I think the Jackel gods would send scouts down to scour the lands, looking for the best places to open a rift and attack our islands.  It would be fun to encounter them in the wild, with random spawns.  Also, would be nice to run across random loot caches that they might be stockpiling.  On test, I ran across two treasure chests and was beyond excited.  Right now, finding treasure comes from looting disbanded deeds, bad permissions, or unique/rift drops.  I frown on the use of bad permissions as a source of treasure, but apparently it is acceptable to some.

Was chatting with another player ingame yesterday and he had some great ideas (shared above).  There were more, but I was falling asleep at the keyboard.  So much lore that can be wrapped around the rifts and new things introduced to add excitement

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

I'm all for Humanoid creatures to hoard things, some useful, some not.  but still a treasure cache none the less.  Maybe include some tribal AI for trolls?

+1 the OP and +1 for hoarding humanoids.  Make those pesky, useless trolls good for something.  :)

+1, I have been wondering why this has been missing since I first started.  All lore involving trolls/goblins generally include some form of real loot/stash/treasure whether junkie swords and a few tokens (coins in other games, "shinys" that creature kept because pretty) to elite weapons from warriors who were waylaid by more that could handle.  Not saying they should have coins but maybe some high quality plain weapons/armor could use or smell for the ql lump maybe or nice ql bits for imp'ing or building 

Good suggestion. +1

Would help to make the rifts less "game-y" than they are now.

And if you happen on rift scouts in the wilds and slay a few, that should count towards rift participation.  They would have to have a more rapid spawning method like fog spiders, to prevent a few people from scouring the srrver and wiping them all out in a day.  Maybe some spawn mechanism that keep spawning replacements, whenever one dies. The closer to the rift opening, the more rift beasts will be present on the server. That would be so much more immersive than a warning beacon. 

• Like 2

There was a reason why they were put in boundaries... something to do with keeping the game enjoyable for more then just (veteran-)fighters, and keeping harm from deeds etc?

Edited by Kianga

3 hours ago, Kianga said:

There was a reason why they were put in boundaries... something to do with keeping the game enjoyable for more then just (veteran-)fighters, and keeping harm from deeds etc?

Well there are trolls and would say they are not enjoyable by non-vetersn fighters. Not terribly enjoyable by veteran fighters since the mostly just damage armor and give no real skill.

Being just tiny bit facetious, but by your logic trolls, hell scorpions, ...., should be removed.  I do not think he is saying for the rift beasts to be invading newbie deeds, but simply adding some more and interesting mobs to the game that I believe most of us would enjoy.  The noon who rage quits over an encounter will do so whether rift creature or troll.

And personally I think the vast majority of players are veterans of playing or fighting and cannot imagine any of them still enjoy the sterile, limited mobs we have that all become nothing but a nuisance once you reach higher level and there is as almost no reason to hunt anything.    Nearly every game in the world has at least humanoid mobs acting organized and with purpose which means there should be loot or planning.  Rift beasts should have some scouts and some planning and potentially caches.  Trolls were armor and have a crafted club...where did they get the mats?

• Like 1