Sign in to follow this  
MrGrimreaper

Holy Speed trolls

Then anyone with skill that lives near a starter spawn town should be patrolling and destroying their lairs :)

Maybe I am odd, but one of my earliest memories of Wurm and one I cherish, was my first day:  I started in Blossom, want down the coast, admiring all the shore deeds, heard some fighting sounds up in the hills above and went to go check it out.  Troll pops out of the trees and I'm like "yes, it isn't rats or pigs, like all other games!"  So, I engage and bam!  3 hits later I see red.  Lost my gear and the only corpse I've never recovered.  But the adrenaline was pumping and loved every minute.  Even today, when trolls are easy, I still feel like giving them the victory finger, when I kill one.

The last couple years, the only troll rush has been from champs.

8 hours ago, Eobersig said:

Plenty of reports about it on Xanadu. Very noticeable with trolls, their swing timer is pretty insane.

I've also heard players telling that other mobs are harder than before too, noticeable bears. Cannot confirm bears myself.

Totally. I have been having a hard time with bears. Im at 70fs, and trolls were not a problem for me, nor bears. Now bears care noticeable, while trolls are a total danger to avoid. Even with a 60-70QL studded leather suit, and a 90QL 2H sword.

Something I've been noticing is that mobs will chase me further than I remember in the past. A lot of times I don't want to stop to fight, but when they chase and chase you have to stop and kill them before you end up with a parade behind you.

I can confirm that trolls have a much higher frequency with hits.. I also saw bears act like this, but not all, so i don't know if it's a bug or something intended.

I don't mind seeing harder mobs in game.. I want to be able to be scared again to afk for hours in a forest.. it would just be nice to have a head's up from the game before i get slashed to pieces by a rat because he's on steroids now..

My experiences.

Just after the patch introducing the rifts to the servers hit, i was leaving a desert/steppe area to get back to town. Im riding a big cart, pulled by 2 bison. On paved brick road. Leading a horse.

-Croc kept up with my cart. Also kept up with me on horse. Could not outrun.

-Troll kept up with me on foot, on cart, and on horse. Managed to loose it by falling/jumping off cliff. 

-Black wolf easily killed me. I considered them easy meat and fur before patch.

-Mountain lion ripped me within 20 sec. I found them quite ok to fight before patch aswell. 

This could sound like a noob whining, but to me it really seemed like something changed. Although most kept saying otherwise. 

Also, as many here are saying, some mobs hit with odd frequencies. I didnt pay attention before, so i cant say much about it. Though i had a bear strike me 3 times before the timer in the log ticked a single second.

EDIT: Seems fixed.

Edited by Reager

Something has definately changed.. i decided to check out the mountain top ded see if any one had moved in there.. i was on a 5 speed mature with full good 80 ql woa gear and these trolls start popping out of bushes all aggroed.. they were lurking or angry or something like that but man they hit me from horse back as i am doing 24kph and from far.. i couldnt get through therm fast enuf.. by the time i lost them after going downhill for awhile and stoppin gi had maybe 7% health and was seeing red big time.. i barely made it past them.. must have 15-18 of them along a short stretch of road.. glad i turned around and dropped all extra weight or i'd be crying over my lost stuff.. because nobody is ever going up that road again alive unless Freedom conscripts an army of 3 dozen 90 level fighters in full scale with 99 ql weops to clear it out.. and to think i saw three noob houses in short vicinity that had moved there previous to update.. poor souls.. obtw i am 65 fighting and 44 longsword with 75 ql aosp armour.. but man i was running for life and they just swung  as i passed at high speed i didnt stop to say how ugly they were.. named trolls.. like i said lurking or angry have to look at my logs.. over and out with a healthy respect for the fragility of a Wurmian life.... again... the hill of the damned is off my radar..

Edited by Psalamon

I'm willing to bet this has something to do with the other reports of things happening too fast here:

• Like 1

Hi,

Fight logs should show. From my nOOb alt, 2015:

Spoiler

Logging started 2015-08-07
[23:01:43] Venerable troll moves in to attack you.
[23:01:50] You easily parry with your two handed sword.
[23:01:56] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:01] Venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the chest and damages it.
[23:02:07] The attack to the neck glances off your armour.
[23:02:08] You easily parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:12] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.
[23:02:13] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:18] You skillfully parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:24] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:28] Venerable troll kicks you hard in the left thigh and hurts it.
[23:02:29] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.
[23:02:34] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:35] Venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the chest and damages it.
[23:02:40] You barely evade the blow to the chest.
[23:02:46] You skillfully parry with your two handed sword.
[23:02:48] Venerable troll kicks you hard in the left underarm and hurts it.
[23:02:50] The attack to the left hand glances off your armour.
[23:02:51] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[23:02:57] Venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the chest and damages it.
[23:03:03] You easily parry with your two handed sword.
[23:03:08] The attack to the right thigh glances off your armour.
[23:03:08] You barely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:03:17] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:03:17] Venerable troll bites you extremely hard in the left calf and harms it.
[23:03:19] Venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right foot and harms it.
[23:03:25] You skillfully evade the blow to the crotch.
[23:03:28] You easily parry with your two handed sword.
[23:03:31] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[23:03:34] Venerable troll bites you extremely hard in the left calf and damages it.
[23:03:35] Venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right calf and harms it.

Same nOOb alt, just now:

Spoiler

[20:47:49] A venerable troll moves in to attack you.
[20:47:50] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[20:47:50] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.
[20:47:52] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.
[20:47:54] The attack to the right underarm glances off your armour.
[20:47:57] You barely evade the blow to the chest.
[20:47:59] The attack to the right thigh glances off your armour.
[20:48:01] You skillfully parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:01] A venerable troll kicks you hard in the stomach and irritates it.
[20:48:04] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.
[20:48:11] A venerable troll strikes you extremely hard in the left underarm and harms it.
[20:48:13] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:16] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[20:48:18] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:20] A venerable troll claws you hard in the left thigh and hurts it.
[20:48:22] The attack to the left thigh glances off your armour.
[20:48:24] A venerable troll bites you very hard in the stomach and hurts it.
[20:48:27] You barely evade the blow to the stomach.
[20:48:32] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:34] You safely parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:34] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.
[20:48:36] A venerable troll strikes you very hard in the chest and hurts it.
[20:48:40] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[20:48:43] The attack to the right underarm glances off your armour.
[20:48:45] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right underarm and harms it.
[20:48:47] You easily parry with your two handed sword.
[20:48:49] The attack to the chest glances off your armour.
[20:48:54] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[20:48:56] A venerable troll strikes you very hard in the chest and hurts it.

In both cases the full fight, I removed only what's not an aggressive action of the troll resp. the reaction. So focusing & aiming for both got removed, as well as the alts attacks & the trolls resulting glances/parries/wounds; for better analysis.

Even with the dreaded multi-attacks and the lack of the misses on troll side it seems obvious to me. But judge yourself.

Have fun!

• Like 2

I think I found the problem: everyone check your logs from before and after the patch. I think, like me, you will find that mobs never had a "strike" attack before the patch. After the patch, the mobs seemed to have gained these strike attacks, but the normal attacks swing timers appear to be unaffected. In other words, mobs are getting these "strike" attacks for free in addition to their normal attacks that they had before the patch.

Interestingly, only certain creatures appear to have gained these strike attacks. I haven't done too much fighting, but from my own logs, I have found that brown bears and trolls have them, and can confirm that scorpions and rift creatures do not have them. Ostentatio's log snippet shows that seals have them as well.

Edited by LaRue

2 hours ago, LaRue said:

I think I found the problem: everyone check your logs from before and after the patch. I think, like me, you will find that mobs never had a "strike" attack before the patch.

Yes, this is true, but also not the only thing going wrong, Bears and trolls have gotten strike attacks, trolls also got a claw attack, I checked a few old logs and didn't see those. Thus trolls can now maul, bite, kick, strike and claw.

It also seems that troll attacks can negate blocks by shield and hit you regardless, like in:

[21:01:31] A venerable troll tries to maul you but you raise your shield and parry.

[21:01:31] You lose some focus.

[21:01:31] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the chest and harms it.

No other messages in combat log with that time stamp.

For comparison, here is an older log against a troll from before the patch; http://pastebin.com/xzdhuv9c

Edited by Eobersig

trolls have been this way on epic for a long time

March 6 2015 patch note:

• Changed some creatures on Elevation to use new combat system, for instance Trolls, Deathcrawler and Brown Bear.

you're welcome freedom

(dont get me wrong though, we dont like them either)

Edited by Alexgopen