Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #21 The first rift

I'm setting up a hotline for battered rams...

• Like 1

Ive got to say I got to the rift on Chaos just as the second wave was going down and had fun!  The mobs are DEFINETELY not 2 shot critters though the hounds do go down fairly easily.  I think the event lasted about an hour and a half with about 15 of us.  I do think the mechanics for calculating scores should be examined as has been mentioned.  A suggestion I would make is make these somewhat more random than they seem currently.  What if during the time between rifts small groups of rift creatures came down looking for a place to start their invasion, these of course would not drop rift rewards except maybe hearts?  As far as the addition of battering rams and building in mines on pvp I am really looking forward to hearing more as well as details on pvp rebalancing!

I can understand trying to push rams out the door as soon as possible. You added a large new feature, it wasn't viable on PvP, so you focused on preventing that feature from becoming another half-finished project. It shows that the team's willing to devote resources to PvP, which is a good start. And even if it's not a balancing change like people have been asking for, there's still a good reason behind it.

But with that said, forget all the fluff that people have been asking for in regard to PvP. Some of the most urgent changes are also some of the easiest. Change some variables to tone down on the DR stacking until a more fleshed-out system can be decided on, similar to what you did with SotG. It'll keep the whiners off your back and it'll allow us to have fairer fights in the meantime. Then we can tackle player gods/meditation/armor reworks properly and without making a bunch of hasty decisions.

• Like 3

really enjoyed the 2 rifts we've done on chaos with these amazing prizes that....whats that? they...don't do anything on our server because some people whined?

nevermind.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

really enjoyed the 2 rifts we've done on chaos with these amazing prizes that....whats that? they...don't do anything on our server because some people whined?

nevermind.

you know it's bad when i feel many strong urges to hit the like button

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mclovin said:

no news abouts pvp changes/updates. I'm losing hope

Go take the ideas of desolation and reset epic and give us a small map, everything will be fine.

get rid of meditation (or make end rewards easily avail), get rid of local, cap body stats and I think I would get excited about this game again.  Maybe even mix things up in a strange way, such as not allowing combat while on horseback or something else that could break the meta mold.

Thank you to @Budda for jumping on the bug when it seemed like no one was on to help out. 

That battering ram would be of great use on the PvE servers too. This past week I catapulted down about 40 hedges and at times the minimum firing range of 10 tiles was very restrictive. A battering ram that could be placed on the same tile as a fence/wall/hedge and then used to bash it down would work much better in certain instances. Not sure how the battering ram would function as pertaining to ammunition requirements though, so would need to know more about that.

=Ayes=

whoa whoa whoa Rolf actually wears sport jackets and dress shirts? This guy is a legend, ###### everything I ever said bad about him. The man represents himself well and now wurm is awesome again. Any plans one day for neckties or some dapper suspenders?

• Like 1

Was not happy about my first under dwelling being put in the news unfinished, but my fault for not getting it done in time for the news. Almost done now, will flatten the ceiling a bit more, and now those iron viens are really going to see some pick action as they just do not look good in the way of things. ;)

cPlDqbW.jpg

PDsgMPS.jpg

• Like 6

that looks fantastic... but do me a tiny favor?  Gently move your banner a couple nudges to the left?

Looking at your building there gives me some more ideas. Ty for sharing!

• Like 2

I like the battering ram idea +1

When this is added it would be nice to have it and catapults effect mine doors (not overpowered but usable) because there is now a way to protect mines from the inside. High quality mine doors alone are already difficult enough to bash and with the added wall inside the cave, it might make deed cave entrances and dwellings too strong, even with the battering ram being added. However if catapults and battering ram were able to bash mine doors it might help against mine hops by allowing the opposing force to break in more quickly and allow them to deal with the structure inside.

It would also be nice to have the ability to bash mine doors from the inside. This would help the issue of stepping onto a deed and having the having a closed mine door behind you.

10 hours ago, Ayes said:

That battering ram would be of great use on the PvE servers too. This past week I catapulted down about 40 hedges and at times the minimum firing range of 10 tiles was very restrictive. A battering ram that could be placed on the same tile as a fence/wall/hedge and then used to bash it down would work much better in certain instances. Not sure how the battering ram would function as pertaining to ammunition requirements though, so would need to know more about that.

=Ayes=

+1.

Just let the ram take logs as "ammo". :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Starter deeds
A little delayed, but I’ll be in contact with the winners of the starter deed makeover contests this week, and organise times with the GM team in order to provide resources and such, so expect to see the new deeds soon!

I am also looking forward to work finally being started on the Deliverance starter deed. Good news!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ayes said:

I am also looking forward to work finally being started on the Deliverance starter deed. Good news!

=Ayes=

Not to mention the others that need it, of course. *cough*Linton*cough*

Just to clear something up about battering rams...

The feature won't be released until it is finished and tested. The model is done, but I'm still very early in the development stages of it. I hope to have some information for final mechanics to give Retrograde for next week, but cave dwellings and battering rams will not be rushed.

As a PvP player, I felt the pain of mechanics being released to PvP all too well. My character's skills were thus that I spent most of my time mining ammo and shooting it at walls rather than storming them. I know the pains of the catapulting system as it stands now, the way multi-story literally added hours to raiding, and the bugs involved with all of that.

My goal is to not only introduce battering rams, but to also address some of the other issues that have plagued these mechanics. This is not the PvP revamp that was promised, but these bugs have been long-standing and I will not add to them.

• Like 7

I hope battering rams damage will be based on how many people attach themselves to it.. Lets say 6 slots to attach yourself to the ram each slot filled = more damage dealt.

I also hope that there are commitments when attaching to a ram. Such as a slight time delay and not allowing to attach while having weapon and shield equip. Those attached to the ram should however have a higher dodge rating while attached since they are unable to attack or properly defend. 

Keenan i hope during these bug fixes consideration is taken about smaller kingdoms. Some of these "bugs" which have become features has been the reason some of the smaller groups we able to have a chance to survive. Remove that ability without addressing it in some other way means we just continue down the same path or perhaps a worse path. 

Out of MR chaos own words anyone can raid with the current mechanics if they just put some time and effort into it and stay focused.

18 hours ago, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

U are aware of the fact that hedges go down in 2 prune actions of a sickle right?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

U are aware of the fact that hedges go down in 2 prune actions of a sickle right?

but then you have to bash the rest of it and with troll clubs, expect to use the entire club for a 60ql short hedge.  80QL+ can take up to two troll clubs.  Yes, mauls and axes are better, but ouch! The damage per hit is insane.

edit:  and yes, catapult saves you from weapon damage.  I'd guess the battering ram would collapse before completing the job, lol

Edited by Wurmhole

Battering ram looks nice, although from an artist's point of view, may I suggest the pointy bit on the front could be rounded too, like the smaller ones on the front? Since it's on a cylindrical  pole, this would just make more sense and probably look better. Just my two cents ;)

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, LorenaMontana said:

I find that catapults are the best (fastest) way to destroy (remove) hedges off deed. On deed I would use a huge axe and 1 or 2 hits destroys them. Use one off deed and it takes much longer, destroying the weapon quality in the process. Never use a sickle for this though as off deed their damage is a much less that a huge axe, which is the best choice.

=Ayes=

Steam update

Wurm Unlimited will be updating with cave dwellings coming to beta on Monday at around 8am UTC-5, so plan accordingly!

Um everyone has been patient asking about this on my server. I've not dam sleep yet after being up all night I was waiting to go to bed after this patch so i could update my server and my personal moding before I go to be so can I ask to confirm this on WU or was it postpone so I can go to bed thanks.

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

coming to beta

8 hours ago, Ayes said:

I find that catapults are the best (fastest) way to destroy (remove) hedges off deed. On deed I would use a huge axe and 1 or 2 hits destroys them. Use one off deed and it takes much longer, destroying the weapon quality in the process. Never use a sickle for this though as off deed their damage is a much less that a huge axe, which is the best choice.

=Ayes=

no see what u do is prune it to its lowest height, and then you can walk over it if you dont feel like bashing it all the way, or bash it because it takes much more damage when fully pruned

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, Alexgopen said:

no see what u do is prune it to its lowest height, and then you can walk over it if you dont feel like bashing it all the way, or bash it because it takes much more damage when fully pruned

A myth. Prune an >>>>>off deed<<<<< hedge to its lowest level and attempt to bash it down and you will find no difference in damage done. Use a Huge Axe at 80-90 QL and try the same with any other item that you can hold within the game and you will find that it does the most damage when basing them. The only thing that makes a difference in higher damage done to *off deed* bashing damage to pruned hedges is the QL of the hedge, the bashing item QL and if it is a Huge Axe. Not to forget that after about 10 hedges bashed down with an item of 80-90 QL it will be down to under 40, if not less.

In light of this a catapult will still do the most damage per hit (20.00) to hedges off deed (pruned has no additional effect). This max damage depends upon the QL of the shards and the amount of them combined. You can fine tune this by having an alt stand near the hedge to examine the damage done per hit based upon the QL of the hedge. Then use fewer or lower QL shards since the damage will never be more than 20.00 per hit.

Another advantage to the catapult is that if there are parallel hedges on each side of the tile along a one tile road, is that you will hit both of the side hedges at the same time, thus reducing further the time spent foolishly attempting to bash them down by hand *off deed*. I have bashed down a good number of hedges, as well as stone walls, on the PvE servers and this has been my consistent experience, therefore I always use a catapult when bashing down hedges *off deed*. If you prefer to do otherwise, not my time spent so do as you wish.

(Pretty much a side topic to Battering Rams unknown functions but since you brought up the old *myth I decided to respond further)

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes