Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Pavement Decay

I don't think that post is legal in my state :P

I'd rather see the giant pits people dig and abandon fill up with dirt, than see roads disappear. Roads are not so hard to get rid of. These giant pits dug down to bedrock make the area useless and NOTHING makes them go away. Roads do decay, I see it now and then in areas I don't run around in often enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

I'd rather see the giant pits people dig and abandon fill up with dirt, than see roads disappear. Roads are not so hard to get rid of. These giant pits dug down to bedrock make the area useless and NOTHING makes them go away. Roads do decay, I see it now and then in areas I don't run around in often enough.

so basically you'd like some sort of "erosion" to happen on low slope or "flat" areas?

6 hours ago, Tallios said:

so basically you'd like some sort of "erosion" to happen on low slope or "flat" areas?

Not flat. Deep pits. Here's an example - this used to be a beautiful field:

wurm.20141104.0133_1_zps1y3jijdk.jpg

There's lots of this sort of thing by me, and it makes the area undeedable, dangerous, and ugly.

This is one of the worst examples I now of in Wurm, specially since it is adjacent to someones deed.

If it wasn't destroyed like this I would deed it, because I need some close-by land to accommodate the new color horses.

GMs, keep letting asshat players destroy server space so people can't deed. It's so healthy for the game, right? When I hear GMs say "Oh we can't do anything about this," my mind boggles. Isn't this a business? Just say to the player "If you make one more square of this server undeedable we're going to go back and count up the squares you've screwed up or fenced off or dropped 1x1 buildings on or clear-cut, and invoice you monthly for them. So knock yourself out, we need the money." Guaranteed at least in the case of this player who keeps digging to bedrock, fencing, 1x1-building, and clear-cutting giant swaths of land that he'd stop for good.

• Like 1

Well i think the greater issue of this is three-fold.

1.  dirt is the ONLY leveling material.  Thus people who want to make their area's Nice, need dirt from somewhere else.  
  2. dirt is the ONLY material you can build on. (reinforced cave tile being the new exception)
  3. rock is so oppressively hard to shape.

Thus you have areas that when people hit rock they say "screw this" and move on.

Lastly, if Wurm is concerned

about keeping the server in tact rolf and other devs need to consider some major terraforming events.... maybe due to the rifts.... (hint, hint)

• Like 1

There are people that like to dig to rock, supposedly it's also pvp tactic carried over to pve. I do think erosion / decomposition should be considered, but maybe their own suggestion thread?

Anyway, a way for unused areas to somewhat revert back to nature. Dirt slopes to slowly fall below 40. Dirt to slowly grow in low dirt to rock areas. Pavement to revert to dirt. Desert/steppe/grass/tree lines should enforce their terrain borders (1 grass shouldn't grow in the middle of a steppe and survive). Marsh not to grow up the sides of hills well above water level. Kelp/reed should cover the seas just under the water level.

1 minute ago, Kelody said:

I do think erosion / decomposition should be considered, but maybe their own suggestion thread?

I guess that's true, I didn't mean to hijack a roads thread, I just would rather see some dust storms fill in deep holes so the areas can get deeded, moreso than I'd want to see roads disappear. Roads HELP people. Giant ugly death pits do not help people, and they make less area to deed.

• Like 1

As far as errosion goes I wanna see a volcano erupt.  Lava flows, new rock and lands created and then worn down to grave, sand, then dirt.

13 minutes ago, Tallios said:

As far as errosion goes I wanna see a volcano erupt.  Lava flows, new rock and lands created and then worn down to grave, sand, then dirt.

This would be great, as long as it doesn't mess up deeds, and leaves some trees standing. Personally I'd like to see some dust storms fill up these holes. The people doing this dig the land up, and sell the dirt to pay for their deeds. So they never infuse money into the game, and just ruin the server for people who are willing to pay cash for deeds.

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

This would be great, as long as it doesn't mess up deeds, and leaves some trees standing. Personally I'd like to see some dust storms fill up these holes. The people doing this dig the land up, and sell the dirt to pay for their deeds. So they never infuse money into the game, and just ruin the server for people who are willing to pay cash for deeds.

Well dirt is one of the only things that sells consistently; trade as a whole is bejorked.  The inability for simple people to consistently craft and sell goods, hurts everyone.  The is no different that strip mining companies and the legislation that followed them.

On 5/29/2016 at 3:01 AM, Tallios said:

Well dirt is one of the only things that sells consistently; trade as a whole is bejorked.  The inability for simple people to consistently craft and sell goods, hurts everyone.  The is no different that strip mining companies and the legislation that followed them.

Maybe locality is different. Companies might avoid strip mining right next door to someone's house if there's a lot of resource where it won't bother anyone.

On 5/27/2016 at 10:18 AM, Ostentatio said:

Removing old pavement, dirtwalls, pits, etc. is a chore in itself. Even with a fast shovel, that takes quite a while.

Theres a huge difference here.  It's one chore to you, if you want it.  This is a chore to everyone, forced without wanting

• Like 1

-1.  Stone slabs last for thousands of years, only eventually covered by growth, or wind blown dust, buried slowly below the earth, or grown over. 

One of the greatest features of Wurm is it's malleable environment.  If an old abandoned or dead end road bothers your view of the scenery, change it into what appeals to your desire for more natural wilderness.

If you don't like that section of pavement in the woods, make it a prairie, or a forest.  If you can barely see the steppe, and don't like that forest section between you and that view, make it steppe. If you always wanted a sandy beach along the water, create a desert shoreline, complete with abandoned ships wrecked against a dune.

It only takes one dirt per 2x2 tiles to create a forest.  Though that photo above may be a grief damaged area, someone inclined to surface mine it to 20 slope could create a working forest with only a small crate of dirt.  Using flatten along a tile border, it is easy enough to spread dirt down a hill, and across the slope..  That image could be deeded for a year and turned into forest, grass, a horse pen, etc. with only a weekend of effort.  

Not everyone plays nice.  Deeding areas you value is critical to protect them, and ensures no other uses their creativity to change it to something not fitting your vision, and in the process erases your labor and hard work.

Happy Wurming!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 11:58 AM, Onyr said:

-1.  Stone slabs last for thousands of years, only eventually covered by growth, or wind blown dust, buried slowly below the earth, or grown over.

You say thousands of years, then proceed to make my point, that pavement loses to nature.

It only takes one dirt per 2x2 tiles to create a forest.  Though that photo above may be a grief damaged area, someone inclined to surface mine it to 20 slope could create a working forest with only a small crate of dirt.  Using flatten along a tile border, it is easy enough to spread dirt down a hill, and across the slope..  That image could be deeded for a year and turned into forest, grass, a horse pen, etc. with only a weekend of effort. 

It might take just a few dirt and a little time to cover a rock hill with dirt. It takes days or weeks to remove hundreds of paved tiles. If they don't erode, at least make them faster to remove with a good woa shovel.

Not everyone plays nice.  Deeding areas you value is critical to protect them, and ensures no other uses their creativity to change it to something not fitting your vision, and in the process erases your labor and hard work.

I don't need to be encouraged to deed; I do tend to deed areas I like. This image shown was a griefing. It was done incredibly fast too, the person macros.