Sign in to follow this  
Hashirama

Merge the PvP servers in wurm

I was opposing this earlier but now I think it is needed.

Why we need the merge is obvious enough.

What will be done?
1) Skill adjustment according to hours spent on skill (if someone has 80 PAS on epic, it should be calculated how many hours it would take them to get to that level w/without sleep bonus i dont know and then the same amount of hours should be applied in order to make their PAS on freedom/chaos).

2) Reimbursement of all the deed upkeeps along with founding cost to the founders/mayors.

3) An item in game which allows players to transfer their items from epic to chaos-> like a transfer box or something in which players can stuff all their items including boats or whatever they wanna carry and bring it to freedom. (no limit on the transfer box-let people bring bulk as well if they want- as long as they are happy to merge)

4) New pvp server for both chaos and epic pvpers (it will be connected to freedom). The villages' founding cost and upkeep should be reimbursed to the owners on chaos too.

If merge is successful:
1) The trend of becoming a deity and demigod should be carried on to chaos (not pve- missions should only reward such items and tomes if they are done in the dangerous pvp environment and not in the chill pve environment)

2) More (will be added on the basis of ideas from players in this thread).

There might still be people opposing this, but WU servers have more pvp than WO atm which is sad and you know the pvp community is split up so much.

Edited by Hashirama

Until this is implemented I will be found on chaos if someone tries to raid my place or on desolation (which i heard is very fun to play on).

-1 instead of deleting things and screwing over peoples accounts (especially dual cluster accounts) I'd rather find ways to get players back and new players combined, it only makes sense if we want the game to grow, and if it grows we need the servers

• Like 4

And what happens when this new merged server suffers the same decline that all PvP servers have been suffering?

Unless we solve the problems that drove people away in the first place, this is just a temporary bandaid that'll cause a whole lot of turbulence for no long-term benefit.

• Like 8

If you want us you can take us as we are, no skill loss/conversions

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

If you want us you can take us as we are, no skill loss/conversions

As far as I am concerned I could care less about skill, but wouldn't take you over here :P

Agreed though that the changes need to continue to be made first before looking into things like this.

If I wanted to be there I would already, clearly I don't.

and that kind of negativity from a GM doesn't help matters.

6 minutes ago, Dalvin said:

and that kind of negativity from a GM doesn't help matters.

not wanting to be part of a cluster that you don't enjoy is being negative?

to the OP, a merge will do absolutely nothing at this point. The pvp servers are dead for reasons already mentioned in countless threads. Taking poop and combining it with more poop might equal a larger sum of poop at first, but its still going to keep decomposing unless.. nvm this analogy is not going very well

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 4

I would call it conduct unbecoming for a response to a genuine suggestion when the person commenting happens to have a staff level flag to their forum account.

It was to the comment before it not the OP if you follow the flow rather than picking out a single line

personally I don't know how the system is designed but I would rather see the entire cluster tied into freedom under freedom ruleset for skillgain if this were being considered.  Now if any of those servers are REALLY barren in terms of pop and active deeds I would ask if it is possible to look into cutting active deeds from those servers and plugging them into one of the remaining servers to reduce the level of disruption to players.  As far as skill modifications are concerned I'm not sure it would be necessary, we newer player get beat on by veteran Chaos accounts all the time anyway.  I will follow this post with another bullet listing things I believe this kind of move might further affect and my suggestions for dealing with them.

2 hours ago, Hashirama said:

Until this is implemented I will be found on chaos if someone tries to raid my place or on desolation (which i heard is very fun to play on).

If we look at the reasons Desolation has become so popular, most of it revolves around how easy it is to get into PvP and to be on the same level as everyone else. With that in mind, dumping Epic onto Chaos would move us in the exact opposite direction of that. A slower skill system is less conducive to PvP, if WU is anything to go by.

Edited by Fawkes

At this point I doubt people even care about the skill gains on epic. Like the hours one spent on epic would be converted into the chaos ones with a multipler of 1.5x caus of the sleep bonus (or some idea like that).

What's the point of epic anymore? Valerie is on freedom, everything else is on freedom. -> Big reason why people prefer to play on freedom. I guess those who want to live on epic should live and those who want to move should be allowed? That seems fair enough. (But those who live will continue to attract players and the pvp community will continue to be divided.)

Edited by Hashirama

way too late for this ###### lmao

but when i made my thread i was "exaggerating the the need for a merge", good luck getting the people who quit to return.

19 minutes ago, Fawkes said:

If we look at the reasons Desolation has become so popular, most of it revolves around how easy it is to get into PvP and to be on the same level as everyone else. With that in mind, dumping Epic onto Chaos would move us in the exact opposite direction of that. A slower skill system is less conducive to PvP, if WU is anything to go by.

most hardcore pvp fans don't care about the skillgain or the work, they want to have fun in an environment with unbiased, active gm support where features are appropriately tested and balanced. If players have imbalanced skillsets i personally find it that much more rewarding, some people dont, so the balance caters to both.

I get a hole in the world it gets fixed in five minutes here, on WO i get a hole in the world it takes two weeks and messaging every GM in the book on IRC.

Two people die to the same bug, one guy gets reimbursed and the other guy doesn't on WO because they didn't word their tickets the same despite both incidents being the same. On the other, both players get reimbursed.

On WO, i get useless features like archery towers and traps, on the other, they both are functioning and balanced appropriately.

hmmmmmmmm, and with the onset of an anticheat for WU, i wonder how far certain servers will go in providing a much better experience. The only thing holding it back is its population, and some of them are getting numbers that epic and chaos haven't had consistently in many months.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

Yeah.. Mrgary seems to love when i mention that there's a wu server called Desolation that has a lot of pvp happening in it.

• Like 1

• Epic Portals- original purpose would be gone, I don't see why it couldn't still serve as a way to travel to preset areas on pvp servers from the freedom servers.
  • Player Gods- have no idea how these work but will say I wouldn't want to see an explosion of new ones from chaos
  • Hota- first I am assuming any merger would eliminate home servers and I would suggest then that hota be an event that can occur on any pvp server and have it randomly spawn on any random pvp server, I would also suggest making it spawn anywhere on the server excluding deeds and making it suppress GTs in its area of influence for the duration of a hota with the zone remaining in effect for maybe 5 minutes after its won to allow for people to vacate.

1 hour ago, Propheteer said:

most hardcore pvp fans don't care about the skillgain or the work, they want to have fun in an environment with unbiased, active gm support where features are appropriately tested and balanced.

Okay, so if that's the root problem with PvP, how would a merge have solved that? Suppose the merge happened back when you first suggested it. Would that have created balance? Would that have created useful features? Would that have made GMs act more quickly and consistently? If not, then it sounds like, by your own description, the blood loss would have happened regardless.

13 minutes ago, Fawkes said:

Okay, so if that's the root problem with PvP, how would a merge have solved that? Suppose the merge happened back when you first suggested it. Would that have created balance? Would that have created useful features? Would that have made GMs act more quickly and consistently? If not, then it sounds like, by your own description, the blood loss would have happened regardless.

it wouldve bought time to seek the solutions for larger problems by reducing the number of people who quit because of lack of population/pvp.

maybe not enough time though, took wurm staff almost five years to realize SOTG was OP.

Edited by Propheteer

How about move all PvP from Chaos to Epic?  Then code splitting is easier, since Epic is already operating on very different mechanics.  Then Chaos goods and "rest of Freedom" aren't mixed for one way profit.

• Like 1

Personally Wurmhole I find the fact that you have to choose between skilling a toon on freedom or epic is why I have never used the epic portal and pvp on chaos.  I doubt I would continue to play the game if I had to basically start a new toon just to go from pvp to pve.  It is also why I have no interest in Challenge silliness, its a waste of time when I could be skilling my main.

Doubt we'll ever see a merge since the devs would rather see epic crash and burn and then try to revive it instead

Maybe it would be better to suggest a way for people to cross between the clusters freely with appropiate skill modifiers? I personally don't play on freedom because I don't want to grind up/buy another account and from what i've heard, that's the same for a lot of people on freedom when they talk about epic

People are getting caught up in the wrong issue here.  The issue of epic players and skill is not the issue.  PvP is the issue.  The Wurm Devs have yet to begin to fix PvP, and idiots suggesting a map reset at this point (yes, you Hashi) fail to realize that a reset does no good if the core issues of PvP are not addressed first.

What makes you (or anyone else) think that resetting the map is a solution?  Explain it to me.