Sign in to follow this  
ago

Chat relay mod

Eject kind of pushed me towards this idea for this chat mod:

Players should be able to connect to a chat server and participate in village, alliance, kingdom, gm chat and be able to send pm to logged in players or chatters.

So here I am collecting ideas for features.

Essential is the protocol. Initially I wanted to go with IRC but there isn't a single IRC server library for Java that's not the abandoned pre-release result of a university project.

I'm currently focusing on Jabber/XMPP with Vysper as library. Are there other ideas which chat protocol to use? (with suggestions for a decent java library that implements that protocol and some reasoning why that particular protocol is THE best option).

Players should be able to enable the chat for their characters and set a password that is required to connect under that name. With the authentication it should be possible to give GMs access to the gm channels.

You could probably use PircBot API as an irc interface.

Unless that is one of the outdated you speak of. I am not sure if you can just ignore using it to make a bot and just rely on the api

Or jiRCd is still a recently active project that is an irc server written in java.

Sorry I don't have any other advice myself,

Edited by Crustyfoot

On 5/23/2016 at 5:12 PM, ago said:

Eject kind of pushed me towards this idea for this chat mod:

Players should be able to connect to a chat server and participate in village, alliance, kingdom, gm chat and be able to send pm to logged in players or chatters.

So here I am collecting ideas for features.

Essential is the protocol. Initially I wanted to go with IRC but there isn't a single IRC server library for Java that's not the abandoned pre-release result of a university project.

I'm currently focusing on Jabber/XMPP with Vysper as library. Are there other ideas which chat protocol to use? (with suggestions for a decent java library that implements that protocol and some reasoning why that particular protocol is THE best option).

Players should be able to enable the chat for their characters and set a password that is required to connect under that name. With the authentication it should be possible to give GMs access to the gm channels.

Server owner's can still block connectivity to server if desired right (not saying I would want to, just want to make sure I could if I needed to)?

Edited by Nappy

Thank you Ago for opening this Thread :)

my primary idea was that i can connect to the ingame Chatrooms to inform the Team or the Players because example, a serverrestart or other stuff, if i am at my work have no access to a wurmgame.

(In my work i can just open my web admin Panel from the Server)

But it sure would nice if the rest of the Team can also join the channels for supporting Players.

Thank you very much that you like this idea =)

Happy wurning

Eject

10 hours ago, Crustyfoot said:

You could probably use PircBot API as an irc interface.

Unless that is one of the outdated you speak of. I am not sure if you can just ignore using it to make a bot and just rely on the api

Or jiRCd is still a recently active project that is an irc server written in java.

Sorry I don't have any other advice myself,

The IRC bot will only relay messages to an external IRC server. I was looking for an integrated solution.

I saw jIRCd and the news page showed the last release (0.6) in 2006. I was not aware that they have recently released 0.7 after 10 years. So that might be a candidate.

8 hours ago, Nappy said:

Server owner's can still block connectivity to server if desired right (not saying I would want to, just want to make sure I could if I needed to)?

The chat server requires a mod. Not installing (or removing) that mod would prevent any external chat connections.