Sign in to follow this  
Nicrolis

Community Map Poll! Add all deeds?

Should any one be able to request deeds to be added, even when they are not the Mayor/Owner of the deed?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Allow any one to request deeds added to map.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes. If the deed owner wants it private, they can request it to be removed(or request ahead of time it not be added) with proof of ownership.

This topic comes up from time to time, and I feel its time to bring it up again. Now that we have newer people joining the game, and older ones have left, we are getting alot of new deeds popping up. For newer people this becomes an issue when the deeds are not on the map. For vets its not that bad because we know the lay of the land.

So cast your vote! Make comments about your vote in the posts! Just do not shame others for their opinion :-)

• Like 1

heh, i'd be in for a new map dump and all the deeds added, some areas no longer look like what they used to be... and most of the deeds have been renamed / disbanded.

So yup, more accurate map plox!

• Like 12

I say no, because it should be up to the deed owner and some don't visit the forums. Choice is a good thing:)

Besides, new players can always ask in Freedom if they are lost or looking for a spot to drop a deed on.

The vets can help make the map more accurate by reporting disbanded deeds near them (as they show up in 'area events' at their token). I think I reported four disbands in one post (a year or so ago) and I need to check on one more near my NL deed.

Edited by Ellenmarie
punctuation

I think the poll could do with a little more balance, instead of twice yes and once no. How about 'no, but the mapmaker can seek contact once with deedowners not on the map, and add said deed if consent is given'? Also, with the 'yes and deedowners can get their deed off again' the mapmaker would have to keep a database of all instances of that, else deedowners can be terrorized into finaly saying yes (monday, johnny says 'deed the broken pillar needs mapping', tuesday it's mapped. wednesday owner says 'no take it off', thursday Marie says 'hey deed the broken pillar needs mapping', friday the deed is put on the map again, and so on and so forth). Also the choice 'yes unless' forces anyone not wanting to be mapped to look the map over on a daily bases, in case some passerby has seen it fit to let it be put on again.

I voted no, I think there are enough waypoints, plus other waypoints then deeds can be highlighted more, making the mapping of deeds even more unneeded then it is seen as now. For instance if forests, steppes, deserts, grasslands and resources were mapped better (shading in the map) then finding your way would be a lot easier allready. Towers are another more constant factor then deeds are I think.

• Like 1

I should vote no, because when I was a newbie I got severely lost and would have rage quit if my friend didn't come find me. So if I had quit back then when I got so annoyed from being lost, I would have saved a lot of money.

I voted yes with the option to remove, because I sincerely believe the primary reason most deeds aren't listed on the map right now are because the owners either a.) don't use the forums to know to add them or b.) don't care. So those who do care should have no problem requesting their deeds to be removed. It isn't like we don't all know where all deeds are, anyway--not much is secret on Wurm. For convenience's sake, I say add them all and let the few who do actually mind take theirs off.

(Articulation obviously isn't my strong suit at midnight, my apologies.)

• Like 4

My opinion is clear and has been stated before: a map is a map - and it must contain precise and complete information. The current community maps are not very useful for new players (for any player, actually) because they are surprisingly incomplete regarding settlements.

If a player places a settlement he should be aware that by doing so he becomes a visible part of the server's community. (After all, the founding itself is announced in Freedom chat and even on the Twitter feed.) I talked to so many (mostly new) players who were desperate because they were unable to find their location, usually because almost none of the settlements they encountered on their way was present on the community map. When travelling the lands of my server I usually pass so many settlements that are not on the map; my estimate is that the community map only shows about 40% of all existing deeds!

It is true that a few players deliberately hide their deeds (for reasons that are disputable), but I am sure that the majority of mayors founding a new settlement simply forget or do not care reporting their deeds to the mapmakers. Thus, those deeds will never appear on the map - even if their mayor wouldn't mind at all if they did.

For example, look at the current Deli map. Whenever deeds are disbanding they will eventually be removed from the map, as everybody is allowed to report missing deeds (which is a good thing). On the other hand, nobody is allowed to report new deeds appearing in the area (unless he/she is the mayor), which results in less and less settlements shown of the map. In the long run we will be left with a community map that only contains a handful of deeds.

TLDR: Try to include every existing settlement on the map. If necessary, ask trustworthy players to travel their local area and report new settlements. (To avoid griefing only include deeds if their existence is confirmed in a suitable way.)

• Like 6

When I was brand new I got lost more than once, and the community map was no real help. I tried to spot the villages around me on the map, but none of them was there! :(

(That was on Inde though, but I'm sure it would be the same problem on any other server.)

well lol as the self appointed oficial representative of those horrible players that left,i have to say people makes a big deal out of this when discussed openly in the forums but nobody gave a crap when i just did it for years without asking, just had a txt file with the 2 deeds people asked me not to add to the map and problem solved.

also want to say that that whole reason people want their deeds not on the map its a missunderstanding of how people work in wurm,when i asked the people that dont want their deed to show up they always say its because showing up on the maps means more people will go to their place and look around and bother them. i have to say that in my experience as an "old horrible player" thats the opposite of how it actually work,people looking for a nice place to deed are much less likely to go to your place if it is in the map than if they see an empty nice like spot that seems to be waiting to be deeded.

• Like 7

I'm for adding all deeds to the community maps with the option for owners to ask for them to be removed.

I've been going by the status quo on the Exo map, but have been thinking about changing it for a while now.

add the deeds - leave a dot but remove the name when peeps don't want it to appear on the map. that way it's quickly known there is already someone on that spot.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Yaga said:

...my estimate is that the community map only shows about 40% of all existing deeds!

I think 40% might be high.

• Like 2

again, like ive mentioned on the same topic (different thread) about a year ago i wouldnt have been able to be any more elaborate than Yaga has put it.

So a big YES from me on adding all deeds to the map.

P.S.: as a sidenote....when Trencal still was in charge of the community map (and as Tpikol has already stated) there wasnt a rule like this and everyone reported deeds to the map thread like s/he liked.

Edited by Galadhel
  • Like 2

Im happy that we have alot of people voting. Last time this poll ran we had less votes in the same ammount of time.

That being said, the votes are also vastly different than the last polls as well! If you guys can please post this thread from time to time on freedom and after a week of it being up, ill make the change if necessary!

Inaccurate maps are the bane of my Wurmian existence. Were the maps more accurate, I would participate in more stuff on the mainland and other servers. I don't really have the spare time to wander aimlessly, checking my compass and praying to Fo that I encounter a settlement that is actually marked on the maps. 

• Like 1

I said no because I feel and have always felt that it should be up to the deed owner. (Most of) Mine are on the map. :-P

16 hours ago, Nicrolis said:

If you guys can please post this thread from time to time on freedom and after a week of it being up, ill make the change if necessary!

What exactly do you mean by "... post this thread from time to time on freedom ..." ? Who is supposed to do what?

i meant to make sure people see it. Till the voting is over i want to get as many votes as possible

I know I am not the fastest moped on the harbour, but I can not come to think of one good reason, for wanting a town on a freedom server to be "secret"

The first 17 people will come across it with in the first week of having dropped a deed anyways, yes even if its on top of that very secret mountain you think only you know about.

I am really good at getting lost, I come across alot of settlements in a lot of odd places, it would save me alot of hours finding my way if they all where on a map.

For instance, I have found Odynns house 2 times while looking for it, and 6 while randomly bumping into it wondering how I got there. There are no spots on deli that no one knows about, so I can not think of one good reason to try to be secret.

• Like 2

My opinion in the past was to only list deeds on the map when the mayor requested it. There is one advantage to this in that if someone has a resentment against you for opinions posted on the forums then they can more easily locate your deed, if it has been referenced as being yours on the forums. "Oh yea, MrKuplix's deed Hubris is right here on the map of Deliverance. Let's sneak over there sometime and show him that large perimeter doesn't belong to him." Some players would prefer to keep a lower profile in game to avoid these types. I guess they could just request to have their deeds removed then, so maybe in the fewer cases this situation arises mayors could at least have their deeds removed. Not sure how much it would help either way though.

I guess the main reason for listing deeds would be to help new players find their location more easily. So in that respect it is a valuable reference. Personally, listed deeds on the map are of little benefit. Only for curiosity I might occasionally look on these maps to see what's new. Only the roads are of interest to me if I want to travel outside of my local area, which I rarely do anyway. There are 2 deeds listed on the map close to mine which have been disbanded for years but I am not going to take the time to report them on a map thread. These older disbanded deeds are also a big issue on maps and to have reliable players reporting them all to the mapkeeper is another big responsibility, if the accuracy of deeds on the map as references is wanted to be maintained.

In closing, I am neither for nor against apathy.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
spellink
  • Like 1

sorry but that seems like a pretty bad escuse Ayes: if someone really wants to find you they will map or no map

I say yes, and let them request not to show it. Tpikol made the point clear. People don't go to deeds except in rare circumstances when they are trying to find their way. Or to some special event.

But people who would consider griefing would probably do so on impulse, Tpikol. So not having a deed listed on a map might prevent it from happening. Griefing isn't the issue it once was on Deli, but 3-4 years ago it was horrible.

Mostly, I don't like the idea of being forced to have my deeds on a player made community map when I pay to play this game. It's my game, not the community's game:) And my deeds are listed.

If the Devs decide to put all deeds on maps, then I'll support that. But not when a handful of Forum regulars decide to do it.

• Like 2