Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #20 The Rift Opens

header.png

Hi Everyone,

It's been another busy week, with testing and taking feedback. I'd like to thank you all for providing me with your thoughts, time and bugs, we've made huge steps this week, and it's on with the news!

Patch Notes

Wurm Unlimited

Spoiler

Updates

Updated deed permissions. “Destroy any building” is now a permission that can be set for any role other than ‘non citizen’.

Only players with “Modify Building” will be able to catapult a friendly house

Archery penalty is no longer affected by helms.

Changed archery penalty for heavier armours from a flat fail % to added difficulty depending on armour.

Combat tab now shows offensive, karma and healing spells (+ creature targeted dispel) Meditation messages are yet to come.

Throw has been removed from valrei mobs, uniques will still throw.

Shield of the Gone has been reduced to a 30% Damage reduction. An option to transfer one time from Path of Insanity will come in a future update.

Information Minister territory messages have been removed.

Branches, Rock Iron and slate/marble shards can now be discarded from inventory.

Text Fixes

Fixed example cost when mailing (1c rather than 10c).

Corrected instances of “alot” to “a lot”.

Corrected capitalisation on some titles.

Many grammar and spelling issues corrected.

“After breeding you will start stop leading.” is now “After you finish breeding you will stop leading.

“Rumours of The Unique Name is starting to spread.” is now “Rumours of The Unique Name are starting to spread.”

Corrected double period text with ‘Get Info’ Skill.

Bug fixes.

PvP Enemies will can now properly take from any structure they gain access to.

Casting dirt in loaded crates is now possible again.

Corrected Worm Brains precondition check.

Only one unit weight will be used when levelling with concrete (1 3kg unit per individual raising action).

Changing the contents of the mailbox while sending will now abort the sending process.

You are no longer able to cast ‘Dirt’ on Bulk Storage Bins in your inventory.

Salt, flint and gems will now land in the same pile as shards.

Floor reinforcements can now be removed even when the tile is at maximum mining depth.

During some actions checks for errors should now occur before giving skill gain.

Allowed the ability to always lead animals on a PvP server.

Expelling kingdom members has been improved, with feedback given upon failures.

Combat Rating calculation for Player Vs Player has been corrected to 1 CR point per 5 fight skill.

Some reported height problems with creating bridges have been resolved.

Class Changelog

In an effort to help those who mod, these are the files that changed between the beta releases. 

Server

com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/ActionEntry.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/ActionStack.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/Actions.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/CaveTileBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/CaveWallBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/CreatureBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/ItemBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/Methods.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/MethodsItems.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/MethodsReligion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/MethodsStructure.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/TileBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/behaviours/TileRockBehaviour.java 
com/wurmonline/server/combat/Archery.java 
com/wurmonline/server/combat/Arrows.java 
com/wurmonline/server/combat/ServerProjectile.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/CombatHandler.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/Communicator.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/Creature.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/CreatureTemplate.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/CreatureTemplateCreator.java 
com/wurmonline/server/creatures/ai/PathTile.java 
com/wurmonline/server/deities/Deities.java 
com/wurmonline/server/intra/IntraServerConnection.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/AdvancedCreationEntry.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/DbItem.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/Item.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/ItemTemplate.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/ItemTemplateCreator.java 
com/wurmonline/server/items/ItemTemplateCreatorContinued.java 
com/wurmonline/server/kingdom/Kingdom.java 
com/wurmonline/server/players/AchievementGenerator.java 
com/wurmonline/server/players/Cultist.java 
com/wurmonline/server/players/Player.java 
com/wurmonline/server/players/Titles.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/EntityMoveQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/GmSetMedPath.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/GmTool.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/MailSendConfirmQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/MailSendQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/PlayerProfileQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/PortalQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/QuestionTypes.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/QuestionTypes.java.orig 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/VillageRolesManageQuestion.java 
com/wurmonline/server/questions/VillageUpkeep.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/CureLight.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/CureMedium.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/CureSerious.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/Dirt.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/DrainHealth.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/Heal.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/LightOfFo.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/MirroredSelf.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/ScornOfLibila.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/Spell.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/StrongWall.java 
com/wurmonline/server/spells/WormBrains.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/Blocker.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/DbBridgePart.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/DbFloor.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/Fence.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/Floor.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/Structure.java 
com/wurmonline/server/structures/Wall.java 
com/wurmonline/server/villages/Village.java 
com/wurmonline/server/zones/VirtualZone.java 

Client

com/wurmonline/client/console/ActionClass.java 
com/wurmonline/client/game/PlayerObj.java 
com/wurmonline/client/game/SkillLogic.java 
com/wurmonline/client/launcherfx/WurmSettingsFX.java 
com/wurmonline/client/options/keybinding/PlayerKeybind.java 
com/wurmonline/client/renderer/effects/TorchFlame.java 
com/wurmonline/client/renderer/gui/HeadsUpDisplay.java 
com/wurmonline/client/renderer/gui/ToolBelt.java 
com/wurmonline/client/renderer/gui/text/FontTexture.java 
com/wurmonline/client/renderer/gui/text/SimpleTextFont.java 

Common

com/wurmonline/shared/constants/FightConstants.java 
com/wurmonline/shared/constants/IconConstants.java 
com/wurmonline/shared/constants/SteamVersion.java 
com/wurmonline/shared/util/StringUtilities.java 

Feedback and fun
The test server as you all know has had the new client renderer as well as rifts on it this week, and there’s been a lot of enormous feedback, which we’d like to thank you all for, this unfortunately does mean that there’s several things we need to address

PvP and rift loot
With the introduction of the rift loot, some pvpers showed concern about how the loot and the bonuses it gives would affect balance. Most shoulders give bonuses to lighter armours, but we have made the decision to make them vanity only in PvP pending further discussion. We wish to ensure that any bonuses they do bring are balanced, and don’t set a new requirement to enter pvp.
We’ll release the full bonus info on the 24th with the update.

Unstable client
So after a long period of dev and in-house testing, we unleashed the new client renderer on test this week, and have received valuable feedback. As a result we have decided to delay the renderers release, until we are sure that this client works for players and that major bugs are squashed, the expected release date for the new client will be on the 6th of June, Wurms Anniversary.
That doesn’t mean you can’t use it on the 24th! It will be available as our unstable client from then, and we’ll continue to take feedback.

Wurm turns ten!
And we’re giving away the presents! We’ll have random anniversary loot boxes, which contain a random item, including some pretty rare items such as the Staff of the Land or the Pale Mask! Every premium player will receive one on our June 6th update, so simply login to collect yours! We’ll also be giving out some during events and such too, so your chance of getting something cool goes up and up!

Community Content
A thread on the Independence forum raised an old piece of writing done by Aeris a few years ago, named Independence anthem. It’s a song dedicated to the brave settlers of Independence, and is quite awesome!

So just to reiterate, cave dwellings and Rifts will go live on the 24th, at 12:00PM Server time (UTC+1) The new client will be available on unstable and we’ll continue to work on that for a release on June 6th.

Until then though, keep on wurming!

• Like 21

Delaying the renderer sounds like a good idea. It didn't seem very stable on test. Lots of bugs and glitches.

Looking forward to Rifts and cave dwellings very muchly! :)

Edited by syncaidius

really looking forward to this!  I miss my Rifter alt already.

I see it a wise thing  to separate the releases holding the renderer back a bit. Also excited on the loot boxes, although I know my common luck :P

Looking forward to tales of woe on the 24th!

Why not just make them a vanity thing for everything?

But if not, hey, that's good to hear.

Will it just be Shoulders?  Or will that include Rings/Necklaces/Bracelets?

And do those only give a buff when they are socketed?

Edited by Oreo

Sad to see no talk of PVP but i guess with all the bit ching from players stating not to say anything at all of its all still speculation talk its understandable that no look ahead comments were made... 

As for discussing the rift item bonuses that may affect pvp i guess we will have to wait till the 24th to see that full list.. Providing the bonuses are not a must have and just provide a slight bonus it could be a good thing for pvp if again like you say it affects mainly lighter armor. What that can potentially do is help toward a VERY much needed look into the lack of armor types for PVP. There will be some people that will say there is nothing wrong with the armor types, but there very much is something wrong and it was apperently clear about 3 years ago when the dev team or maybe it was just Rolf IDK talked about the addition of armor types such as ring mail and a few other types i dont recall off hand. Anyway perhaps these slight bonuses to lighter armor help fill that void or at least start to.

When will we start seeing more tall of the up coming PVP changes?

Any update on the Starter Deed designs and when building commences?

• Like 1

Items like shoulder only gave a small resist to crushing damage not sure if theres one for each damage type.

The rings and bracelets were also very limited , i had one for stealth bonus , tryed to stealth but failed so does not seem like it was anything to drastic.

But as stated , the name of the game for Rifts is not to close them to fast , its killing the mobs that give the item drops in your inventory.

Closing only gives chance for ore at end and only 0.25 think it was , QL i got was from 85 to 90.

And holding back on rendering is wise , i use unstable all the time anyways.

But it all looks good so far and fun.....

See you all at a Rift near you..B)

Simple enough question: When the Rifts release, will there be a forced spawn of them on each server?

so if the rifts won't give any bonuses on pvp whats the point in killing them

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dingov said:

The same point as uniques to avoid defending deeds

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dingov said:

no bonuses on pvp, but they have lots of different looks.  Decorative shoulders :)  You do get the moon metals for rewards at the end.  I got a rare ada lump on one rift closing.

Just a question. " Wurm turns ten!
And we’re giving away the presents! We’ll have random anniversary loot boxes, which contain a random item, including some pretty rare items such as the Staff of the Land or the Pale Mask! Every premium player will receive one on our June 6th update, so simply login to collect yours! We’ll also be giving out some during events and such too, so your chance of getting something cool goes up and up! "

If I will make 50 alts on the day, I will spend 10s, will receive 2s, referral, and a loot box on each of them, right? Or do you have to be premium for at least 2 months prior July the 6th to receive such nice items :) 

• Like 1

thanks for the update happy birthday wurm

Why delete work socks post it was a detailed post that didn't issue any arguments or anything. Jakerivers just likes to add drama to anything, Mclovin was a fool to keep feeding him. Keeping going on this road sooner or later you just won't have the players that despite constant adversity advocate for changes, and that will be the nail in the coffin for the pvp community and epic. At the moment the devs have sealed the coffin already and lowered it into the ground just procrastinating on when to fill the whole up with dirt, epic is dead and so is pvp and its becoming more and more irreversible. On topic however like Dingov said if they provide no purpose other then decorative then why even be included on epic just make the items craftable on pvp servers. No one will do the rifts for a chance to get a shoulder piece that provides nothing just looks different. I for one don't play the game for the aesthetics because no offense the graphics look terrible no matter what. ( they did come a long way and are progressively getting better ). The niche of the game I think to most is how much of a sand box it is, and you can do whatever. want to make a castle you can do it ( odynn for example ), want to make a pyramid you can (Bald on chaos and grumaly? On serenity), want to make a farm and leather work while breeding horses you can. Make these items craftable on every server, but they give no bonus if you craft them. Only way to obtain one with bonus is via rift, I would also make rifts rare just like uniques one or so a month max respawn so that these items with bonuses become a sort of vanity and rare like summer hats and tomes. 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for winners from  the Challenge Server events , now their rare staff and mask will be given away for little effort.

Could have renamed staff to Staff of the Air or something.

Could have reskinned the mask with some red dots for a Pox mask.

I know staff is very short handed but a little creativity is good, we have seen in the past how trying to re use old items can set the forums aflame (ie Farwalker Amulet)

And I never won any prizes in the Challenge Events and don't own any prizes  but I was there and saw the amount of work that went into the wins.

• Like 1

Heaven forbid anyone makes a post the mods don't like.

Go ahead and delete my posts, but take the courtesy to let me know.

I am excited about cave dwellings, but meh on rifts. Only thing that can save this game is to increase the amount of players playing wurm.

As for the 10th anniversary gifts, I would like to see something that is actually usable ingame, vanity items don't add much flavor. How about rare water skins that never need refilling, or bags of holding.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 3

About the wurm turns ten thing, what happens if my premium lapses by then? Do I still get a gift if I was premium? Or what if I can't log on on that day, will I get it in the mail or something or do I miss out?

I sure hope I'll still get it because I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to get on then.

2 hours ago, dingov said:

pauldrons...so later as you unwind by your rare fireplace and look over your new affinities and pvp loot you can have on your best come hither outfit

Edited by Bloodscythe

1 hour ago, zorako said:

I feel sorry for winners from  the Challenge Server events , now their rare staff and mask will be given away for little effort.

I know staff is very short handed but a little creativity is good, we have seen in the past how trying to re use old items can set the forums aflame (ie Farwalker Amulet)

And I never won any prizes in the Challenge Events and don't own any prizes  but I was there and saw the amount of work that went into the wins.

There hardly is any challenge items, especially masks, I own a few and this doesn't bother me that there giving them away. Its like the spyglass they used to be 40s now there very common. This is the way of wurm it has been done before with other items, seryll lumps update to allow butcher from valrei, fountain pans used to be worth a lot now no one wants them because there going to poof.

1 hour ago, Egard said:

Why delete work socks post it was a detailed post that didn't issue any arguments or anything. Jakerivers just likes to add drama to anything, Mclovin was a fool to keep feeding him. Keeping going on this road sooner or later you just won't have the players that despite constant adversity advocate for changes, and that will be the nail in the coffin for the pvp community and epic. At the moment the devs have sealed the coffin already and lowered it into the ground just procrastinating on when to fill the whole up with dirt, epic is dead and so is pvp and its becoming more and more irreversible. On topic however like Dingov said if they provide no purpose other then decorative then why even be included on epic just make the items craftable on pvp servers. No one will do the rifts for a chance to get a shoulder piece that provides nothing just looks different. I for one don't play the game for the aesthetics because no offense the graphics look terrible no matter what. ( they did come a long way and are progressively getting better ). The niche of the game I think to most is how much of a sand box it is, and you can do whatever. want to make a castle you can do it ( odynn for example ), want to make a pyramid you can (Bald on chaos and grumaly? On serenity), want to make a farm and leather work while breeding horses you can. Make these items craftable on every server, but they give no bonus if you craft them. Only way to obtain one with bonus is via rift, I would also make rifts rare just like uniques one or so a month max respawn so that these items with bonuses become a sort of vanity and rare like summer hats and tomes. 

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Heaven forbid anyone makes a post the mods don't like.

Go ahead and delete my posts, but take the courtesy to let me know.

I am excited about cave dwellings, but meh on rifts. Only thing that can save this game is to increase the amount of players playing wurm.

As for the 10th anniversary gifts, I would like to see something that is actually usable ingame, vanity items don't add much flavor. How about rare water skins that never need refilling, or bags of holding.

No posts have been deleted, they've been split off into the HoTA Fix thread in the Epic section. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zorako said:

Nearly all the winners just sold them to players on freedom anyway (and half the winners abused bugs to get on the leaderboards as admitted by some of them. Part of the reason why it didn't take off really. ;))

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Propheteer said:

Nearly all the winners just sold them to players on freedom anyway (and half the winners abused bugs to get on the leaderboards as admitted by some of them. Part of the reason why it didn't take off really. ;))

I wonder why some people are so compelled to cheat.  I really don't get it.

23 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I wonder why some people are so compelled to cheat.  I really don't get it.

Becouse it works.

• Like 3