There's been a lot of discussion around transporting animals, and I think the devs always find a way out saying that there's technical issues around moving animals across servers.
Well, I'm sure some people would like to move/trade animals across servers but, I also think that most people would agree that just being able to transport them by the coast would be enough.

Not being able to move animals across big distances also makes sense, 'cause it's difficult to keep them alive and healthy while they're shaking in the ocean and enclosured for a long time.

I have a suggestion and some options for animal transport that might please both players and devs:

1. Animal Cage. A simple plank and iron bars cage that can be locked with a gate lock and loaded into ships and wagons. Each animal requires his own cage regardless of which animal you're transporting. It takes the same space as 4 large crates, so a wagon would be able to transport 3 animals. Animals inside animal cages can not be groomed, fed or interact in any way, so players would need to move them efficiently or make stops to tend them, I guess that just makes sense and saves the devs a lot of headache.

Now there's two options:

Option 1.1 Once a animal cage is loaded into a ship, whether it is occupied or not, whether it is inside another container (like a wagon) or not, it disables the ship ability to move from one server to another.

Option 1.2 Animal cages can only be loaded into wagons and a new specific type of ship named Ark, which is unable to sail across servers. It would be pretty much a corbita in most characteristics, but lower, wider, slower and require 22 Mind Logic to command. It's a big ship, difficult to maneuver and ok as a cargo ship, a little worse than the Corbita, so people wouldn't want it unless they plan to move a lot of animals around. That would encourage a new market for the transporting business and stimulate the economy.

Those two option are independent, choose the one you like the most. :) 

Hope you enjoy. With enough support we can make it happen, so leave your comments below.

Edited by Mosquete
typos
  • Like 1

Totaly agree on way to transport animals atleast on same server. Disagree on a part of  a new slow ship for it, should be allowed to be loaded on knarr atleast 4 cages if not more, and disable ship for crossing server if any animals are loaded, empty animal cages should be allowed to cross server though...

7 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Totaly agree on way to transport animals atleast on same server. Disagree on a part of  a new slow ship for it, should be allowed to be loaded on knarr atleast 4 cages if not more, and disable ship for crossing server if any animals are loaded, empty animal cages should be allowed to cross server though...

1.1 and 1.2 are two different options. You can pick the one you like the most :)
Also, animal cages take the same space as 4 large crates, therefore a knarr would be able to load 10 animal cages if you're going with the 1.1 option.

Edited by Mosquete

I agree with animal cages, I would love to be able to pack up and move animals.

I would love any or both of these implemented, even if they were independent from each other. Both animal cages and a huge but slow behemoth cargo ship sound great. Not sure about the animal cages' size however. Of course, we can always deal with some wogic, but a Caravel should be able to hold a whole herd, not just 15 animals. Could use various types of cages too, at least 2 sizes.

4 minutes ago, zigozag said:

I would love any or both of these implemented, even if they were independent from each other. Both animal cages and a huge but slow behemoth cargo ship sound great. Not sure about the animal cages' size however. Of course, we can always deal with some wogic, but a Caravel should be able to hold a whole herd, not just 15 animals. Could use various types of cages too, at least 2 sizes.

The volume in this game doesn't make sense, you can fit several tons of logs into a bulk storage bin. I don't know how the hell the devs deal with the volume but you'll agree that animals can't simply be stacked into piles or squeezed inside boxes, so yeah they should take a LOT of space.

Edited by Mosquete

1 minute ago, Mosquete said:

The volume in this game doesn't make sense, you can fit several tons of logs into a bulk storage bin. I don't know how the hell the devs deal with the volume but you'll agree that animals can't simply be stacked into piles or squeezed inside boxes, so yeah they should take a LOT of space.

40 hens isn't same as 40 horses though, mor equal to around 5 horses, maybe small and large cages isn't bad idea too... Anyway i would like to se something implemented i any form :D

15 minutes ago, kochinac said:

40 hens isn't same as 40 horses though, mor equal to around 5 horses, maybe small and large cages isn't bad idea too... Anyway i would like to se something implemented i any form :D

I'm trying to put things in a way that pleases both players and devs, solving our animal transporting problems while saving the devs a lot of headache, so it must be as general as possible. That's why there's just one type of cage.

Edited by Mosquete
  • Like 1

Always for transporting animals across water and server borders on ships, especially horses or bison.

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Always for transporting animals across water and server borders on ships, especially horses or bison.

I'm with you on this, although they have mentioned previously that animals on boats is a no-no because they want to control animal populations on servers.

9 hours ago, Tallios said:

I'm with you on this, although they have mentioned previously that animals on boats is a no-no because they want to control animal populations on servers.

Aye so far that's been the largest hurdle for implementing such a feature.

I totally agree that there should be a way to move animals across water on the same server.  Cages would be a great option for that.

The limitations the devs have spoken of most likely has more to do with cross-server transport of animals so I'm fine if ship transport of animals is somehow limited to being unable to take them across to a different server.

A positive for the suggestion is that it would encourage more settlement of islands and even perhaps the creation of artificial islands.  Both of these revitalize the spirit of Building in Wurm Online.