Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

New boat tunnel in southeast Deliverance

After several weeks of careful planning and hard work I am now proud to present to the Deliverance community: the

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Eridanus Boat Tunnel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

BPKzR1H.jpg

The tunnel cuts through the southeast peninsula ("Serendipity Peninsula" as it is called by its inhabitants) and provides an invaluable shortcut for anybody sailing between the southeast mainland and the east coast of Deli. It is located a little bit north of the line Dunegard - Magincia (X-40 .. X-44, Y-38 on the community map), better seen on the detailed map (http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/54656-detailed-map-of-the-serendipity-bay-area/):

9g9vb7v.jpg

This boat tunnel is special in that it has 2 segments: the first is leading north from "Pillars of Orion" on the peninsula's west coast to an underground harbour, called "Eridanus Harbour", the second (longest) one leading east from Eridanus Harbour to "Anubis Gates" on the east coast. The tunnel itself is 2 tiles wide and has maximum depth, so should be sailable by all ships. There is a walkway along the entire length of the tunnel, so it can also be used by pedestrians, riders and cart drivers. There are lamps every 5 tiles, and additional light markers every 30 tiles.

sOBuHk0.jpg

Both ends are marked by twin towers illuminated at night by marble braziers:

kRVOTLf.jpg

West entrance: Pillars of Orion

gqraTSz.jpg

East entrance: Anubis Gates

The project was a joint undertaking of the Serendipity Alliance and some of our good friends. I am particularly grateful to:

Odynn
Jaz
Annyil
Talarias
Turmoil
Ladygodiva
Ladycygnet
Glomby.

Thanks, folks - this tunnel couldn't have been built without you (at least not within the next 2 years ;)).

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 14

For all of you interested in some more pics of the construction phase and the finished tunnel, here we go:

Spoiler

Men (and women) at work:

ljhEVhK.jpg?1

Ran into a glitch with cave ceilings being higher than the rock surface :) :

FQ4lCyS.jpg

The west entrance (Pillars of Orion) at night:

XcV0fRw.jpg

The east entrance (Anubis Gates):

rNPryHI.jpg

Peeking out of the tunnel:

yYIYi0O.jpg

Tunnel entrance and walkway:

6XshAKQ.jpg

Pillars of Orion:

3VjKxlK.jpg

Anubis Gates:

GNwfYnW.jpg

Eridanus Harbour:

dwqIDFM.jpg

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 3

It was fun to be part of such a nice project :) 

• Like 1

Hey look! an Odynn head poking out of the floor! or ceiling... or whatever that weird glitch was!

Happy to have been of use ;)

• Like 2

Well done guys! Wish I had been there haveing fun with you :P

• Like 1

It looks absolutely glorious!  I wish I could have done more to help out besides smacking a few lead veins into submission, but life outside of Wurm is what it is. 

• Like 1

Looks like a great design both inside and out. A very functional shortcut into that inland bay area too. Another wonderful contribution to our fair lands of Deliverance. Well done to Yaga and friends!

=Ayes=

• Like 3

TBH Yaga invented whip and leash in Wurm. No wonder we finished this project in weeks :P

• Like 1

Impressive! You work fast.

You know what just occurred to me? With underground living coming, maybe one of these underground canals might have a little port somewhere along the length.

That'd be so cool.

46 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

You know what just occurred to me? With underground living coming, maybe one of these underground canals might have a little port somewhere along the length.

This one already has: Eridanus Harbour :)

dwqIDFM.jpg

Finally got 400+ support beams (Thanks, Turmoil :rolleyes:)  to reinforce the floors of tunnel and walkway!

Edited by Yaga

Looking so much better now (with reinforced floors):

sOBuHk0.jpg

QniIW5V.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:34 PM, Yaga said:

Looking so much better now (with reinforced floors):

sOBuHk0.jpg

QniIW5V.jpg

I find that setting cave detail to low helps smoothing things out as well but yes this does look much better.

=Ayes=

We are honored: Magranon himself visited the east entrance today:

WWTqd3Q.jpg

gJw5fkj.jpg

• Like 4

The last step bringing this project to a perfect end has been made!

Late this night Enki appeared and our tunnel was subject to a thorough inspection:

pC0KZZu.jpg

Finally, Eridanus Tunnel was granted the title "Heritage Site". Thank you, Enki - and many thanks again to everyone who helped making this project a success.

55EBd3Y.jpg

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 3

It's going to take ages to get those robes dry in Deli's humidity.

• Like 2

splash splash I AM splash splash THE GREAT splash splash AND MIGHTY splash splash and rather soaked splash splash ENKI! splash splash

• Like 3

Very nice Yaga to see your and friends boat tunnel granted this Heritage status. May it remain such until the last leaves fall upon our fair lands of Deliverance, turning the dust of dreams into reality.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
spellink
  • Like 2

As a local resident of this area, I must say thank you to everyone who made this fantastic construct!

• Like 1

News update:

I finally managed to modify both tunnel exits, so they are now 2 tiles wide! (Some rearranging of structures and landscape was necessary.)

r2nU7km.jpg

West side: Pillars of Orion

DMKT0IU.jpg

East side: Anubis Gates

mlmLzST.jpg

• Like 2