Sign in to follow this  
Fenimore

Iron vein disappearance [Resolved]

Case #1 

I was mining in my old mine on Xanadu yesterday. I needed iron of good quality, so its right spot. After a longer while, being half AFK I shipped ores from the cave floor to the crates and I noticed something unusual. About 25 (do not remember exact number) of the items on floor was shards. I didn’t mined shards, I was standing in the same place despite horde of mobs attacking me every few minutes. There was no cave wall in reach of my pickaxe. To my astonishment I realize I'm standing in the front of cave wall. Iron vein was gone, replaced by cave wall. 

I pickup my stuff and went doing something else. But... 

Next day I went for tests: 

1. I didn’t mined more than 1k of iron ore in this spot – I'm sure of it. 

1. I didn’t change positions, and even picture showing pile of died mobs pointing exactly where I was standing. 

1. There are no other settlements in this area so no one mined this vein when I was away. Besides its not easy to spot mine entry. Is overgrown. 

1. I have mined about 25 shards so next day I went into the same spot and mined the same cave wall. I manage to mine 26 shards – Its indicating the right spot. 

1. Iron ore quality was 81.32 (the good one's only) and this exact quality of shards I've mined next day (today).  

1. Estimated shards quantity in the first day (25) + 26 mined in the second day giving typical amount of shards in typical cave wall (about 50).  Pic #545, Pic #68568 (The spot)

Therefore:  

There is no mistake. This cave wall used to be iron vein. 

Case #2 

Today, 17 May 2016 I went to the new mine under my deed on Xanadu in order to mine some low quality iron ore (only low quality ores remain in my mines). With me, on cart – my alt. Nahjo priest. Now. I'm approaching first iron vein and... Is gone. Ok. I have more than this one. Approaching another one vein and... Now it is free standing cave wall. Hmm. Right. But I have another one and... Yes! This one is still iron ore. Disembark, prepare pickaxe and... I'm mining! Time for my alt. Nahjo priest. Disembark from the cart, prepare pickaxe and... No iron vein! WHAT!? 

Ok details: 

1. My main character did indeed seen and mined iron. 

1. I started mining with my alt what appear to be cave wall and – I'm mining iron ore! 

1. 20 minutes later my alt went to surface in order to pray for a little bit less miracle on the land of Wurm. On the way back to remaining iron vein.... First iron vein is in place, second – the same! Approaching my main character still working hard on third iron vein and... cave wall showing iron vein again! Bless Nahjo for miracle! This show truly power of prayer! 

Pic #44345

Conclusion: 

Guys, you have bugged iron veins somewhere in the Wurm code. 

Moaning time: 

Mainly I'm mining shards on Xanadu for well over a year now. I manage to make buildings on my deed on Pristine out of this material, which in total yield me about 150k bricks. Therefore my 2 mines are quite big. Despite that, I was lucky enough to discover only one iron vein of acceptable quality (80+). And now this vein is gone! 

Imagine how furious I was yesterday... 

Plea: 

Can you guys do something about it? 

End stuff: 

All the best wishes for Developers and other fellow Wurmians. 

Keep Wurming and pray to Nahjo. It works! 

Fenimore - if you entered the cave as a passenger on a cart, there is a known bug that passengers see cave walls instead of veins.  If that was the case for your second account above, exit the cave and walk back in instead of as a passenger.  You will correctly see veins.

As for your first example, ore veins have a limited amount of ore.  Check your logs to see if you got an event message saying 'The wall will break soon'.   If the vein is close to an entrance, the vein when depleted turns to a cave wall since you cannot leave a 'hole'.

Thank you very much Alectrys. Now Everything is clear! 

My Bad! I didn’t check my logs! 

My Bad! I didn’t check bug list! 

My logs clearly states: 

[21:27:09] After you finish mining you will start mining again. 
[21:27:15] The wall will break soon. 
[21:27:15] You mine some ore. 
[21:27:15] You start to mine. 
[21:27:23] The wall will break soon. 
[21:27:23] You mine some ore. 
[21:27:23] You start to mine. 
[21:27:33] The wall will break soon. 
[21:27:33] You mine some ore. 
[21:27:33] You start to mine. 
[21:27:45] The wall will break soon. 
[21:27:45] You mine some ore. 
[21:27:45] You start to mine. 
[21:27:58] The cave walls sound hollow. A dangerous side shaft could emerge. 
[21:27:58] The mine is now depleted. 
[21:27:58] You start to mine. 
[21:28:12] You mine some rock shards. 
[21:28:27] You start to mine. 

And everything is clear!

1. I manage to mine 1 full crate of iron ore 80+ quality. 

1. I manage to mine 120 additional ores. 

1. Than iron vein turn into cave wall and I successfully mined about 50 rock shards of 80+ quality. 

I'm happy for this explanation. Now I just need another year to find iron vein of good quality to fill another one and a half large crate. Simple. 

And yes. My lazy habit told me to not do the same work after work and I didn’t bother to check lists of futures which include veins disappearance.  

Sorry for causing confusion. I assume case is resolved by now. 

And many, many thanks again. 

• Like 2