Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Give some more use to Lurker in the Woods

Lurker in the woods is an enchant for pendulums which currently only works to locate champion creatures at (iirc) cast power/2 tile range. 90 cast = 45 tiles, correct me if i'm wrong.

As it stands i don't know a single person who uses them, they're considered a silly waste to bother carrying around so why don't we add a bit more flavour to them? Three idea's came to mind.

Creatures currently listed by a mission to kill x amount of: Magranon asks you to slay 40 cave bugs, pendulum locates cave bugs.

Creatures on traitor missions, same principle as above.

Uniques. On larger servers are insanely hard to find sometimes and frankly a max 50 tile range to find one isn't a big deal when you consider the range on reveal creatures and that most uniques will simply aggro into you at that range anyways.

Would also be rather amusing and add a little excitement to your hunt if all 4 of those were active at once. Pendulum finds something and you go "is it a champ? a unique? free karma?"

• Like 7

I think the reason why it's not really used is, because there is no incentive to do so....champs don't give a tremendous amount of fighting skill....and they don't drop anything special, so they are practically just bigger and stronger variations of bigger mobs. 

while all the other pendulum uses are like : "find water" <--- very important inland; and "find special fishing spots" <----was only way to get some cooking/crafting ingredients

so rather than fixing it by convoluting it's purpose, i would rather see champions becoming more useful

Problem there lies imo with numerous other features, dominate, charm, taming...creatures being hilariously easy to archer to death in pvp. Champs in many ways on pvp servers are far more valuable as its a strong pet, on pve they have less value. Even so Champion creatures are very rare and most die fast to archery, even so the one pet limit means most people opt to tame a hell horse instead. Basically i feel like "adding value to champions" would require a decent overhaul to taming and combat and not just giving them some kind of better drop/butcher. They however do give a very large amount more FS than normal creatures so i dunno why you're saying they don't. Only reason it doesnt feel much like it is because they're so rare.

Overall i don't see Lurker in the Woods as needing to be a one purpose one trick spell. Adding more functions could make it far more interesting, fun and increase its use among the playerbase without opening a larger can of worms in messing with champs/taming.

Edited by Nadroj

agree, I think it would be good to have a taming and combat overhaul tbh.

I love my 85 lurker in the woods pendulum

We've discussed possible upgrades to these casts, and will take your ideas on board, thanks!

• Like 3

+1 to locating traitor mob

those missions are sometimes pretty ridiculous when you cant find that one wildcat hiding inside a chestnut tree somewhere

• Like 1

-1 to traitors because it seems they end up being my pets rather often.

:P

bump for some good ideas, hope to see a proper way to search for uniques on non-priests some time soon

I think it would be nice if by "charging" the item it would give it different functions.  For example,

-having it "blessed" by a priest of a given faith attunes it to that deity's missions.

-rubbing it on an animal will help to locate other animals of that kind.

just some ideas,