Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Rifts - Who? What? Where? - SPOILERS - TEST SERVER

2 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

i'm eager to participate in the rifts yet i must say this seems to be taking wurm away from it's core or root raison d'etre and into something a bit strange for the game.  It feels like identity and game brand is getting lost here...I'd offer some caution and pause to think about this in game theory for the health and direction of wurm.

I think the same. Wurm being non-combat centric game has been a pretty big difference compared to other MMOs. So adding rifts isn't just adding another feature to the game. It is a significant change as whole to the Wurm as it means cardinal change of direction, where Wurm is heading.

• Like 2

Aww, you guys had all the fun without me!

Unfortunately a hard drive meltdown has ept me occupied this weekend, but we'll make plans for a more organised test and feedback form shortly! I expect some time tomorrow!

• Like 4

Can you bring a horse? What happens when you die in a rift? Lose skill points? Lose gear? How will people get there? Make a portal (epic style)?

24 minutes ago, griper said:

Can you bring a horse? What happens when you die in a rift? Lose skill points? Lose gear? How will people get there? Make a portal (epic style)?

they are not instanced, but they have checks to spawn away from deeds

Getting allot of lag after awhile doing rifts.

Also soon as it starts to snow you get bleed over of giant flakes blocking out screen into white.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

they are not instanced, but they have checks to spawn away from deeds

Maybe I am even slower than usual in the brain department.

But does this mean the rifts spawn somewhere in the wilderness? Then you go to the rift and teleport to the rift world?

Edit: If so, Xana will be terrible with the travel distances

Edit 2: Anyhow, Im glad theyre not instanced. I am a big fan of Sandbox games and hate instances since nothing you do matters in the game world.

Edited by griper

Just wondering--if a wave attack happens on a server like, say Xanadu, and I run into my house, can anything follow me there? Sorry for asking, still new and not sure how enemy attacks work in that respect.

1 minute ago, Cake said:

Just wondering--if a wave attack happens on a server like, say Xanadu, and I run into my house, can anything follow me there? Sorry for asking, still new and not sure how enemy attacks work in that respect.

If the doors are unlocked or you never added locks, some humanoid monsters can attack you.

Thank you! Glad I have locks. I'll just be cowering in my house during invasions, then...

Trolls can bash down house walls and we have them now, after watching Rolf for years and how he develops this game there is a significant chance that some of the new mobs will be enabled to bash fences and walls or teleport like the fog spiders. Going into a building on our deeds may not be much of a defense.

Wurm very soon may be a game where either a player fights and trains FS to 70 or they quit the game, there will be no middle ground, they may not be any of us left that don't fight.... and that might be Rolf's "vision" for Wurm Online's future.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

Can we have these combat effects removed for PVP servers?

All I see are further additions that will increase the gap between new players and older players, and when we are meant to be in a period of fixing PVP and balancing the system, this seems to make it worse.

New gear is cool and advances the game, but when nothing is very well balanced already, it is not the time you add more.

on the test server the monsters don't leave the rather small area where the rift event is held - you can even ride out, heal up then go back.

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

on the test server the monsters don't leave the rather small area where the rift event is held - you can even ride out, heal up then go back.

The Players aren't allowing the rifts to remain undisturbed for long either, hasn't been time for that. We won't know if the rift mobs wander away until a rift has been active and un-interferred with for at least a day, and I doubt those conditions have been met on the test server. All other mobs in Wurm roam eventually, and I bet these will too.

Edited by geode

On 16/05/2016 at 7:54 PM, whykillme said:

- Monsters do not leave the rift area, ever

- Monsters dissapear after the rift has ended

no point in getting scared, get rid of the rift, monsters trouble solved

• Like 1

Awww did you really need to kill those foxey looking things? They were kind of cute. Maybe they were ladies too, just out for the night, so to speak. Such a shame, such a shame...

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Odynn said:

no point in getting scared, get rid of the rift, monsters trouble solved

I won't sacrifice hearts (nor be a member of a group who does), and getting enough Source to do the job might not be practical either, which is why I am concerned about if they will start pathing or not. Since all mobs path in Wurm I find it hard to believe rift mobs won't path, no matter who claims it to be true, just doesn't fit how mobs work in Wurm so far.

Am I scared of my character dying? No, our characters are practically immortal and I can gain the skill loss back. Easy peasy.

Am I scared of having to use a combat system I think is garbage and that I'm unfamilair with (because I rarely use it) against mobs that gave concern to seasoned players who use the combat system all the time? YES. As far as what I can foresee being able to do in the game if a rift spawns off my deed YES it scares me (causes me concern). As it should.

I'll save any further comments for later this week after the Testers know more.

Edited by geode

Just been running a round on test server. None of the mobs ever leave the area, don't even chase you outside of it. Will wait until you return and pick the scent up again.

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Aww, you guys had all the fun without me!

Unfortunately a hard drive meltdown has ept me occupied this weekend, but we'll make plans for a more organised test and feedback form shortly! I expect some time tomorrow!

That new deluxe butcher was the likely cause of your HD meltdown, soooo powerful. 

:)

Am looking forward to trying out a Rift or two, some great info here on them, thx much

Just a question.

Can you stand outside the area and shot at the mobs with a bow without them running out to get you?

On 16/05/2016 at 6:54 PM, whykillme said:

By completing the rift everyone gets a random item in their inventory. I got shoulders, while many others got a bare 0.25KG seryll lump for the several hours they were there.

Loot automatically goes to your inventory and is shown in eventlog for everyone nearby, so everyone can see what item you gained and when. There is no additional loot for butchering. 

If you need to leave before the rift is completed you don't receive any loot if you are logged off when the rift gets completed.

right layered shoulder pad, steel

[08:27:24] Used mainly to show off but also to intimidate, these armour pieces come in a variety of materials and designs. It can not be improved.

Leather armour piece damage reduction vs crush damage

pRukxy7.png

left shoulder pad in image is 'left stylish shoulder pad, gold'

2 hours ago, griper said:

Just a question.

Can you stand outside the area and shot at the mobs with a bow without them running out to get you?

Yes. Absolutely. I've tested that yesterday right after reaching the rift area. So it seems they can be finished remotely if you have enough arrows.

Edited by Jaz

On 5/17/2016 at 1:35 AM, bdew said:

IMO having to craft/buy/procure in some other way 11 armor items instead of 9 isn't that big of a deal.

It just makes no sense that we can craft all armor except shoulderpads... it's like having to loot your socks from aliens.

Crafting it is fine, it can be decorative like rings or necklaces, it doesn't have to provide protection

11 vs 9 is a big deal, considering how much can be lost in pvp, and how much time it takes to recreate your gear and reenchant your gear

ok, 2 solid days of rifting and here are some notes.

First off, the "hand bracelets" appear to be brass knuckles when worn and you can attack with them.  Against rift creatures, nearly impossible to get any damage and very hard to even hit.

So, as others have mentioned, they ALWAYS stick to their magic box, which means any solo player can work on a rift.  Just cautiously lure 1-2 critters to the edge.  The creatures vary in difficulty.  The easiest can be soloed like a troll or fog spider, if your skills are high, like we use on test.  However, it is much easier picking them off in a team of at least 2.  One steps away to heal up, while other holds agro, then switch.

To give an idea of the hardest fight I've had, two of us took on a champ venerable ogre mage and it was easily a 20 minute battle.  This is with all fight skills at 90+ and weapons/armor at 90.  Not as hard as a kyklops or FG.  Maybe more like the Goblin Leader.

When a rift is closed, several piles of ash appear and QL 99.  All right near the altar.  I am inclined to suggest these just appear in players inventories, to reduce contention.

There should probably be a poll to determine if this is added to any pvp server and a way to lock enchanted gear from mailing or crossing borders into pvp land.