Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Rifts - Who? What? Where? - SPOILERS - TEST SERVER

Were you able to interact with the weird crystal nodes or new trees that seem to be in the screenshot.

Those shoulder bonuses look really weird and out of place... like how would a shoulder pad give a "dodge bonus" but only vs bashing and only wearing med armor. Wogic \o/

IMHO they should make shoulder pads normally craftaftable armor, add shoulders to possible damage zones and make the pads protect them + neck + upper arm.

Jewelry with weird bonuses makes a lot more sense.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 4

Great, another oportnunity to lag with 40+ people in local on my crappy laptop...

There's a new rift on the test server now, with a portal leading there. From the test server spawn use the pvp crystal on ground to go to the pvp server, then examine the rift crystal to go to the rift server.

34 minutes ago, bdew said:

Those shoulder bonuses look really weird and out of place... like how would a shoulder pad give a "dodge bonus" but only vs bashing and only wearing med armor. Wogic \o/

IMHO they should make shoulder pads normally craftaftable armor, add shoulders to possible damage zones and make the pads protect them + neck + upper arm.

Jewelry with weird bonuses makes a lot more sense.

Even the simple stuff isn't that fine tuned anymore, now they want to add this extra wonky stuff in and expect it to balance.

That there is some nice info on the content, so rifts are likely to be large serverwide events.

I wonder how this will work with the larger servers, will more than one rift open at a time perhaps?

Excellent write up WKM thanks for the info :) I'm actually looking forward to these. 

Thank You for the write up, was very informative. I'd also like to add with those models the orc/ogre looking head on the GM model now makes sense.

Edited by Pride

A few things from doing one more rift (this time on horseback and more controlled):

• The waves get bigger and bigger. The first (pre) wave is not very hard, but the last one gets quite nasty.
  • Typing /rift shows participation scores. This seems to be 1 point for each monster you've helped kill. It's quite easy to reach the max category (phenomenal).
  • It becomes a lot easier (but less fun!) if the mobs are pulled a few at a time instead of going Leeroy Jenkins on them.
  • The final reward seems very random. Everyone who had "phenomenal" or "good" participation got 0.25kg seryll, but a single guy who joined in the last minutes and only did "decent" got a rare adamantine lump.

It definitely felt significantly easier the second time around. Controlled pulling and horses seemed to help a lot. I think we might also have screwed up the spawning a bit the first time around since we "cheated" a rift before that so we had double mobs once we started to actually kill them.

• Like 2

Anyone else feel like WO is starting to feel less Wurm-y and more WoW-y?

• Like 4

Oh man. A few years ago when the new tower guard models were added, some of us saw those pauldrons and complained that it was turning into World of Wurmcraft. Seems that even after all this time, they've decided to double down on that idea.

Except that back then, they claimed pauldrons would be purely aesthetic. Now they have a bunch of random nonsensical bonuses attached to them, which the team's just going to have to remove later if they hope to ever balance PvP at all.

Edited by Fawkes
  • Like 3

@DKSprocketI would love to join in on a rift hit. Let me know when you are hitting the next one for more testing. 

2 hours ago, Fireflyb said:

Anyone else feel like WO is starting to feel less Wurm-y and more WoW-y?

As a 8 years veteran of wow...it's kinda weird to see wow comming back to haunt me. But...i've had my fill of "vanilla" wurm, time for the expansion, "Wrath of the Copying Machine" :D

6 hours ago, bdew said:

problem with that is adding even more pieces to a required set of gear for new players, not even bonuses, but actual concrete requirements

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rocklobstar said:

As a 8 years veteran of wow...it's kinda weird to see wow comming back to haunt me. But...i've had my fill of "vanilla" wurm, time for the expansion, "Wrath of the Copying Machine" :D

Word on the street is that the next major update will raise the skill cap to 110.

• Like 1

Rifts sure sound exciting!

Makes me wish there were easier ways to grind up archery skill. Just twang-twang-twang into that mess!

Edited by Darmalus

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

problem with that is adding even more pieces to a required set of gear for new players, not even bonuses, but actual concrete requirements

IMO having to craft/buy/procure in some other way 11 armor items instead of 9 isn't that big of a deal.

It just makes no sense that we can craft all armor except shoulderpads... it's like having to loot your socks from aliens.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, bdew said:

it's like having to loot your socks from aliens.

:lol:

Don't worry, peoples, shoulderpads will be available through different ways.

• Like 1

Had a really short run in person to check it - seems it is a big hack and slash game there :)

It is visible the dev team will still have a hard working week ahead, good luck to it!

Don't think the mob models are final already, the textures and (especially jackal) movement seem less detailed/polished yet than other ingame ones. Or maybe a deliberately surrealistic look to separate the rifts visually from normal gameplay? The rift area with the lighting and items catched me with their disturbing feeling.

Some shoulder pads are really too big in size, and surely will still be amended to sit and move properly.

As an unrelated note the edge of the moons are pixelated and they are not blending properly into the sky.

Thank you for the information, looks great looking forwards to forming rift partys

i'm eager to participate in the rifts yet i must say this seems to be taking wurm away from it's core or root raison d'etre and into something a bit strange for the game.  It feels like identity and game brand is getting lost here...I'd offer some caution and pause to think about this in game theory for the health and direction of wurm.

• Like 6

Can't wait for this to go live.

Thanks for the post WKM.

Bloodscythe I look at it as more of a shot in the arm that Wurm could use at this point. 

• Like 3