Sign in to follow this  
xvlegionvx

WU Server not Showing up for Public

So for the past 4  hours ive been working, researching, and trying to get my WU Server to Show up online in public, rather than lan. and  Well im Stumped because the only IP that will let the Server function, is a lan IP. if i change it to my Actual IP it crashes. was Wondering if any one could help me out with this 

ive Determined that the reason its Not showing up public is because its  Reading and locking to the IP 192.168.0.***, but i have no  clue how to change that Around... I know the 0 in the IP is making it a  invalid  ip other then for lan.... can some one please help?

I don't own WU, but I guess hosting a WU server on your own computer and get the public to access it will be pretty much like a webserver, sql server etc.

You need to use your wan ip if you want to host publicly. You can find that ip adress quick here http://www.whatsmyip.org/. If you have a dynamic ip you will also need to look out for when your ip changes and change it in server settings. There are services like http://www.noip.com/free that makes life abit easier when you have a dynamic ip.

You will also very likely have to configure your firewall, router to allow incoming connections.

After Explora posted I found out that you can disregard pretty much everything I posted :D Only the line without strikethrough might be an issue

Edited by Darkshade
Misinfo

On 5/15/2016 at 8:27 AM, Explora said:

Reason that the server is in Lan tab not in the public server list may be because the required ports have not been opened to allow it to communicate with Steam.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited)

all my ports are active as needed. I came here because THIS.... unhelpful guide, doesn't solve the problem. is there anything else you can suggest? 

On 6/9/2018 at 1:52 PM, Varladen said:

all my ports are active as needed. I came here because THIS.... unhelpful guide, doesn't solve the problem. is there anything else you can suggest? 

ISP MIGHT be blocking a port, happened to me, had to use a different one on one of them.

I remember back when I did this for a friends and family server, in addition to my firewall I had to also access the cable modem-router software  and then forward some ports specifically to my specific computer on the  network, I guess it's this part:

""If your ports are opened on your system's firewall, you may need to have your router forward those ports to your local area IP address. Please refer to your router's manual or your ISP for information on configuring port forwarding on your router.""   

On 6/11/2018 at 9:13 AM, bigsteve said:

ISP MIGHT be blocking a port, happened to me, had to use a different one on one of them.

-sighs- round and round we go. I'll just quote what you quoted... 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, Varladen said:

obviously if my ports are "active as needed" they aren't being blocked. I'm not a total dolt, I know how to configure for servers. the funny thing is, I can run my ark, conan exiles, 7 days to die, and minecraft servers perfectly fine, with all users attaining a maximum ping of 37 :? Ports AREN'T the issue. there is something else going on here that the devs aren't telling us, and it's making me come very close to losing my patience.

So if it WAS my ports. why then, would games that use these exact same ports, run perfectly fine on the exacts same pc on the exact same high performance (200mbps ethernet network)? The answer? because it isn't anything to do with the ports.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this same problem that can help?

2 minutes ago, Varladen said:

-sighs- round and round we go. I'll just quote what you quoted... 

obviously if my ports are "active as needed" they aren't being blocked. I'm not a total dolt, I know how to configure for servers. the funny thing is, I can run my ark, conan exiles, 7 days to die, and minecraft servers perfectly fine, with all users attaining a maximum ping of 37 :? Ports AREN'T the issue. there is something else going on here that the devs aren't telling us, and it's making me come very close to losing my patience.

So if it WAS my ports. why then, would games that use these exact same ports, run perfectly fine on the exacts same pc on the exact same high performance (200mbps ethernet network)? The answer? because it isn't anything to do with the ports.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this same problem that can help?

How do you know these ports are "active as needed"

Have you  tried http://canyouseeme.org/  on all the ports have you. Have you Have you!!!!!!

the problem here is that there seems to be this common bad practice of game developers pulling the usual "It's not us, it's you" act. There is something intrinsically conflicting with the way the launcher works that prevents a large number of people (myself included it would seem) from being able to utilize dedicated hosting. 
Fact #1 all ports are open and functioning optimally
Fact #2 I can run all other games properly that use these same ports with no problems, and even play wurm unlimited on other's servers.
Fact #3 I followed the setup guide to the letter before posting
Fact #4 I am one of hundreds of users who have asked for help concerning this issue only to be ignored when I inform the devs that I have completed all necessary steps only to run into the same problem

2 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

Have you  tried http://canyouseeme.org/  on all the ports have you. Have you Have you!!!!!!

because I opened them manually myself by going into my modem's IP and opening the exact port ranges needed and locked them in place to prevent defaulting....

3 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

You can't help me. If you have to ask something so assinine then you don't have the expertise to assist with my problem...

Please try the http://canyouseeme.org/ on each of the 3 ports that you have open and routed to your Gamer server machine, please don't just dismiss as something that irrelevant you your situation. i did say ISP blocking, not your router or Firewall.

Also try not to do ranges of ports to exactly what you are using,

Also, has any one Tried to Connect to your server outside your home network via the direct connect option???

didn't Code Club AB outsource the converting WO to WU, i could be wrong there, they are a very small company that might not of had the resources to do it in house.

Try binding it to all your interfaces, mod here somewhere:

If you can't fix this problem on your own you should not be running a server. Even if you can solve this with a lot of help, more and more problems will come up and your frustration will increase while it will reach a point where you will just give up and all your work and time is lost. Just my recommendation for you.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

It took me a while to figure this one out. The port range for the UDP ports used by Wurm Unlimited to show up in the server list might overlap with the port range used by the game 7 days to die You will need to pick one or the other to run as a dedicated server. Also watch out for Ark Survival, and Space Engineers whose required ports are just one number off or also overlap.  

Sorry to bump an old post but I've forgotten a few times and always find this thread as reference. 

Edited by evilbob