Sign in to follow this  
Galadhel

Incredible Lag

It's been incredibly laggy on Xanadu for at least 1 week now ( YES, even more than the usual "back ground noise" lag we've always experienced on Xanadu)

Is this just a phenomenon we Xanadians are experiencing or is it just as bad on the other servers ?

Just Xanadu. And yes, lag was bad during the last days.

Definitely.  It's especially annoying when out sailing, like yesterday, and literally every 3 minutes get the "your position is not updated, please move slower" message.  One of them took 4 minutes, 53 seconds to update after I dropped the anchor. Raise anchor, sail 3 more minutes, get the message again.  The last few days have really been over and above the "normal" Xan lag.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

Just move I don't understand why people in Xan like to torture themselves with all the lag and such 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flylo said:

Just move I don't understand why people in Xan like to torture themselves with all the lag and such 

How does this contribute to the thread ? Stay on topic please

I've actually been to Deliverance on Sunday morning and the lag there wasn't as horrible as it is on Xanadu, but I still felt the lag over there....and usually Deli has never been as laggy as that

2 hours ago, Galadhel said:

How does this contribute to the thread ? Stay on topic please

the contribution is valid.  The smaller servers are all growing in population and Xanadu dropping fast.  We are moving away, because too much time is spent fighting lag, rather than enjoying the game.  Would you just prefer 20 people all respond with the exact same story of how bad lag is?  Lag is bad.  It is always bad.  Some days are more bad.  Some less.  Every day is a degree of bad.  Xanadu is where you go to torture yourself.

• Like 3

Seriously, Xan is broken. After a year i dropped all but 1 deed and moved to Rel.  It was absolutely worth it even with the insane number of trips even across that vast waste-of-space ocean in south Xan to my new deed in the middle of Release which requires passing through a canal.  I even built a second knarr so two of my chars could move my stuff at same time.  If tt had taken twice as long and twice as many trips it would have still been worth it.  The first full week without lag made the game feel brand new.

The background lag on Xan is far worse than people living there know, you got used to it, but Xan is broken seriously needs to be re-sized in some cataclysmic event maybe split into 4 pieces (since it is 4 times larger than the good servers) now sailing is pretty much fixed this would make even more of Xan accessible.  

Edited by ClericGunem

Wurmhole, thats totally besides the point and you know that. I asked a simple question and anyone who just wants to post his/her opinion about how bad Xanadu is. And you're very welcome to HAVE or even POST your opinion on that topic.....just NOT in THIS thread, because this thread is about another topic...its just as easy as that, so please stay on topic

Edited by Galadhel

14 minutes ago, Galadhel said:

Wurmhole, thats totally besides the point and you know that. I asked a simple question and anyone who just wants to post his/her opinion about how bad Xanadu is and you're very welcome to HAVE or even POST your opinion on that topic.....just NOT in THIS thread, because this thread is about another topic...its just as easy as that, so please stay on topic

There is no topic here, this is a complaint and should be in the server bug section.  every couple months there is a thread about lag and serious wtf everyone with any sense knows the lag ranges between "not as bad as yesterday" to "worse than usual".  There should be no such thing as "Normal Lag" just dumb that not only is accepted that you and others have the audacity to complain about it.  If CC could fix it they would have a long time ago.  

Killing more horses to beat them (there is only so many times you can beat a dead horse before it ceases to be a horse) is not going to solve anything.  Just move or accept that lag on Xanadu is like whether sometimes is a cloudy day and sometimes it is a ....storm, and it will never be a nice spring day, ever.  It will only get worse

• Like 2

My OP isnt about the "normal" lag, its about the exceptional lag spikes we're getting like 3 times in a minute for the past week. and all I did was inquiring about whether there is lag on the other servers as well (not as bad as on Xanadu maybe). And from my own experience i can now say YES, there are lag spikes at least on Deli. Just as a side note: I absolutely agree with you that CC should get its  s h i t e   together and fix the usual back ground lag on Xanadu already, so we wouldnt have to get "used to it" in the first place. BUT the lag spikes these days are just unbearable to me (and all peolple on Xanadu ive talked to over the course of the past week). And i havent even started to complain YET, i just simply wanted to know whether its just the "next level" of laggyness on Xanadu or if other servers are affected by this as well. And IF i would have filed a complaint about the lag (after investigating this properly) I would have indeed posted that on the bug section...so, so much for that

Edited by Galadhel

Suffice to say they're right.  This thread doesn't necessarily belong in the Town Square, nor is it actually addressing anything other than the lag on Xanadu.  You made this thread to bring up the lag issue of Xanadu that has been around since its launch.  They responded in kind, agreeing with your frustrations, and recommended moving to another server.  Until the issue of lag is addressed fully by the developers you have two choices:  deal with it, or move.  Try not to be upset that others are giving you solid advice.  

TL;DR:  You posted this in the Town Square, they kept it on topic, end of story.

I don't see that the op is posting about the so-called dead-horse issue of Xan's ongoing "normal" lag that everyone is aware of and somewhat gotten used to. 

The op is talking about an exceptional increase in the past week that he wanted to know if others have noticed, (and/or perhaps discover if it's unique to Xan this time or something that's affecting all servers?).

As for where it's posted, sure maybe a post in "bugs" would be appropriate, but it is also appropriate and relevant here in view of all the other posts here about a wide variety of subjects.  A few come to mind like the one about the Xan spawn, etc, etc, etc.  Why is this any different?

But it seems a few cranky folks who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning want to derail the thread and ridicule the op for no good reason that I can see.  Not cool folks, not cool at all.  Maybe you should just take your own advice about "go somewhere else" and go to some other thread.

(and yes, I'm cranky this morning too, got up on the wrong side of the bed, and am in dire need of another cup of coffee now.  :angry: )

6 minutes ago, Amadee said:

I don't see that the op is posting about the so-called dead-horse issue of Xan's ongoing "normal" lag that everyone is aware of and somewhat gotten used to. 

The op is talking about an exceptional increase in the past week that he wanted to know if others have noticed, (and/or perhaps discover if it's unique to Xan this time or something that's affecting all servers?).

As for where it's posted, sure maybe a post in "bugs" would be appropriate, but it is also appropriate and relevant here in view of all the other posts here about a wide variety of subjects.  A few come to mind like the one about the Xan spawn, etc, etc, etc.  Why is this any different?

But it seems a few cranky folks who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning want to derail the thread and ridicule the op for no good reason that I can see.  Not cool folks, not cool at all.  Maybe you should just take your own advice about "go somewhere else" and go to some other thread.

(and yes, I'm cranky this morning too, got up on the wrong side of the bed, and am in dire need of another cup of coffee now.  :angry: )

You must have a very very VERY loose definition of derailment.  Sorry for that.

Well, Slickshot, if you cant "see" what the OP is about, then you'd clearly have to open your eyes or your mind...because OBVIOUSLY Amadee is exactly capable of seeing what this thread is about and I'm pretty sure I've phrased my OP in just the right way to make clear (if you are capable of FOCUSING on just what i wrote) what i was inquiring about. your misinterpretation of what you THINK the OP was about is just not of any value to the discussion and thus, as Amadee has correctly stated, derailment.

Edited by Galadhel

1 minute ago, Slickshot said:

You must have a very very VERY loose definition of derailment.  Sorry for that.

**looks at my definition"  Hmm, nope, looks alright to me, thanks.

Back on topic......

There has been a definite and very pronounced increase in the lag this week (way over and above anything I've experienced there in the past year), that now, thanks to this thread, appears to be Xan related rather than a general internet issue, or individual computer issues, etc.  I was wondering about it myself but without confirmation of what others are experiencing, a bug report would probably have been inappropriate.

I did not even have to try.  There is no such thing as abnormal lag, it is good (normal lag) it is bad (the last few days have been (terrible|awful|horrendous|worse|...).  Trying to tell you for QoL and to really enjoy the game best to move.  cost me a small fortune to move, but was worth ever iron

removed the last one as top was not specific to xan, my mistake

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Amadee said:

**looks at my definition"  Hmm, nope, looks alright to me, thanks.

Back on topic......

There has been a definite and very pronounced increase in the lag this week (way over and above anything I've experienced there in the past year), that now, thanks to this thread, appears to be Xan related rather than a general internet issue, or individual computer issues, etc.  I was wondering about it myself but without confirmation of what others are experiencing, a bug report would probably have been inappropriate.

See above comment.

here is a few more to replace the one i had to remove

And your point is?  May I ask just why you insist on being confrontational in a thread that simply wanted to know if this latest rash of increased spikes is Xan-only, server-wide, network-wide, etc.  You have an issue with the question being asked?  Or you just want to argue about something? 

Xan has always had lag issues.  Yes, yes, we're all aware of that.  So just what is the point of derailing with non sequiturs?

/throws up hands in disgust

5 minutes ago, Amadee said:

And your point is?  May I ask just why you insist on being confrontational in a thread that simply wanted to know if this latest rash of increased spikes is Xan-only, server-wide, network-wide, etc.  You have an issue with the question being asked?  Or you just want to argue about something? 

Xan has always had lag issues.  Yes, yes, we're all aware of that.  So just what is the point of derailing with non sequiturs?

/throws up hands in disgust

I think you're misreading things the way you want to see them.  This isn't confrontation.  You're white-knighting, and to be a white-knight there must be conflict, but there is none.  A few people commented to explain how Xanadu has always been terrible with lag, and recommended moving to another server.  They might not have used the most bland-politically-correct words possible to get this point across, but it was the point nonetheless.  The OP was the ONLY person who struck issue with this, and claimed they were derailing, when in fact they were directly responding to his concerns about the lag.  There is no conflict here, so please don't look for it.  You seem to want others to quit while they are ahead and move along, so I implore you to do the same.  I've shared my opinion, and said my peace further than needed, so I too, will be headed for the door.

Edited by Slickshot

It's not about 'Xan always having lag'. Period. It's about special lag-spikes on top of the normal, and asking around if other servers have the same issue yes or no. So anything outside of that is not on topic for this thread, no way around it.

Sorry OP, didn't think it was derailing.  Was just making it clear that the issue you speak of is a very always present if varying degrees.  As you can see, people here are passionate about Xanalag. 

If you want people to respond with only the exact specifications you have in your mind, make a poll.  People will still comment, but all the poll answers will be the exact answers you have already approved in advance.

• Like 2

dont worry last time i will post.

I was trying to point out that the lag "spikes" are normal lag, i know i spent a long time on Xan.  You will always have lag spikes and every so often they get significantly worse.  Furthermore, depending on where you are and what may be happening near by your spikes can be worse.  Asking for confirmation on a known-to-be laggy server that is a few million square miles with some regional lag too is asinine, like asking all of California or idk Australia if is raining outside (ya scale is not the same), because it happens to be raining outside of your house.

Everyone is going to see a different type of lag, but as it was a few months ago with they fixed positioning or any number of other things the lag is present and gets worse.

So my point, since you apparently want to be an ass about it, is you post has ZERO value and always descends into some QQ thread...Hey lags for me and me and me, not for me or me, i see lag, but i do, it definitely laggy again, yes lags, lags spike terrible, i hate lag, xan sucks, ya xan suck, no wurm sucks, wheres torches pitch forks get the devs....it is pointless and personally tired of it, play the game and if you live on Xan then learn to live with the lag, move or stfu  ...  

And rather than address a vacuous and completely pointless topic i was actually attempting to be nice and offer the observation that it has always been that way, just better or worse.  And most people seem to have far more fun moving to a smaller server.  95% of the time i am trying to help people have fun, maybe i do not always have best approach, but i mean well.

Pretty sure the Developers are aware of the problem

Here is part of a quote from Keenan

The server also needs some love, as it's responsible for some of the more game-breaking bugs you all experience. The current boat travel one, as well as various server-crossing issues, the spiking lag at times, and many other smaller and less reported issues all live in the server. 

Believe I also heard the developers are trying to do get together on a server code cleanup probably after the PVP fixes, Caves buildings, and rendering addon is working well