header.png

Hi Everyone,

A full moon and Friday the 13th! The perfect day to unveil our new rifts. Along with a few other things. This weeks news is brought to you by Namekat Weather, forecasting "Blood rain showers with a touch of fog spiders".

Save the date

We've set a date for the release of Rifts, cave dwellings and the new client renderer! We'll be releasing these on the 24th of May, sometime during Swedish business hours. It's been a long time coming, and we're super keen to see how these go.

PvP changes
We're continuing to build our not-so-little list of PvP changes, as well as taking feedback on the existing ones. We'll be doing a quick survey over this week before implementing the ability to change paths for those of you who desire it. With the new systems coming up actual PvP updates may be short over the next few weeks, but then we'll be hitting it hard.

Jackal Rising...

Year 1057 NT

Mages on the moon of Jackal manage to weave The Source into dense strands known as Rifts, which enables them to travel through the Ether to other locations. The direction is one way initially, but priests and mages travel through the Rift in order to research ways of returning, allowing them to be used for mass invasion. The inhabitants of Jackal are fuelled by the life force of other living beings, and a Rift can apparently be negated by feeding it vessels containing negative life force - their hearts.

When captured Jackals were interrogated about the discovery, apparently a secretive envoy of an otherwordly entity has shown up in the grand palaces around Jackal, instructing mages on the matter. Incidentally, many of them also seem to have switched allegiance from Magranon to Libila.

Invasions!

• What are rifts?

Rifts are the new invasion event for Wurm, Heralded by a shining red light in the sky, they consist of waves of creatures with increasing difficulty ending in a fight against a bosslike enemy. Each wave requires the sacrifice of hearts butchered from the mobs to summon the next wave, starting out with jackals and rift beasts, all the way up to the huge rift warmaster. These creatures can and do come with various conditions, so expect to see a few champions!

• How many new creatures?

Of course, this would not be the same without waves of terrifying and damned creatures! The minions of Jackal arrive in force, with the following types

Rift beasts: Dog like beasts of war

Rift Jackals: The masses of Jackal, tough, hard hitting, their hearts must be sacrificed to open the Rifts and bring on the next waves

Rift Caster: Magic wielding foes that aim to set you on fire from afar!

Rift Summoners: Summons more Rift beasts and other creatures to aid them in their fights

Ogre: Huge behemoths that dominate the field, don’t expect to take these on solo!

Ogre Mage: Physically dominating and able to set you on fire, who says you can’t have the best of both worlds?

Rift Warmaster: The driving force behind the dark energy within the rifts, summon and defeat all three waves to bring forth this tyrant!

What rewards are possible?

Each creature killed has a small chance of dropping loot directly into the killers inventory, as the difficulty increases with each wave, the strength of the loot does too!

The rewards can consist of:

• Shoulder armour: Over a dozen different types of shoulder armours, each piece providing different bonuses to types of armour, and defences against types of attacks
  • Rings, bracelets and necklaces, granting individual bonuses and some allowing gems to be socketed, granting extra bonuses depending on which gem you use!

That’s not all though, once a rift is closed, participants will also have the chance to receive metal lumps, including Seryll, Adamantine, and Glimmersteel! The more you input, the greater the chance of it being rare or better too.

Rifts will also be a Wurm Online ONLY release. They will not come to Wurm Unlimited

Not to be overshadowed (hah, shadows) is the new client renderer!

While mostly behind the scenes updates, this new renderer will provide much smoother shadows (as showcased last week) will improve how buildings render, and also lighting! There are a few tweaks still going, and as of writing this, white dyed items do not show white (but black is SUPER black). Pictured below is 99ql, 75ql, and 50ql black sailboats!

Spoiler

black.jpg

It also opens up the door for all the graphics stuff we’ve discussed in the past, such as returning wood colours via shaders, and various other nifty little things!

Testing time!
The even better news is, both of these will be undergoing a public test this weekend!  The planned time is for Sunday, 4pm (UTC+2) and will include both the new client AND Rifts. We’ll have some feedback surveys for you all to take part in after, so make sure you come check it out!

auction_timer_E1463320884.gif

The planned rift test will likely be delayed to early in the week instead of later today, as Retrograde has run into some problems with his computer. We'll have another post later on with the new testing time.

Community Content

To fit in with this weeks theme, I've stolen a picture from the screenshots thread. Unfortunately it's not a house on Xanadu, but it is of a castle on Release! With the full moon of Jackal hanging ominously in the background.

screenshot.jpg

that's it for this week, we'll be sharing more info on rifts as the days go on, as well as other things coming live in the big update (we still have a few more surprises!) but that's it for now! Until then, enjoy!

Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 29

Yay more empty promises regarding pvp, I have to wonder why even mention anything at all if you got nothing to say. You are going to get crap no matter what till changes are made.  I hope rifts if implemented on epic are a elevation only thing and not on home servers to make it more unique and not farmable on home server. 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 7

GAHH!!!! probably the best update to come out of the development team since bridges!!! I need rifts now!

please, please, please, please, PLEASE make these 'extras' have no impact in pvp.

or you'll have even more to deal with...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MetalDragon said:

please, please, please, please, PLEASE make these 'extras' have no impact in pvp.

or you'll have even more to deal with...

most shoulder pieces buff lighter armours, cloth, chain, leather, so wont have much impact on pvp.

The other jewellery has slight bonuses to damage types or other factors, but is not yet nailed down, thus why we haven't included that info in this post

• Like 1

I wonder if the pauldrons will bug out and negate torso armor, the same way masks negated head armor when they were released. That'd be fun to watch.

Edited by Fawkes
  • Like 2

The rifts will be on the actual servers. Will they randomly spawn and maybe harass deeds like the uniques? :) Or will there be pre-selected places where there are no active inhabitance?

Thanks a lot for the news, really waiting for the Date

Edited by Jaz

Please for the love of god dont make bonuses so pauldrons of type X and rift ring of type Y becomes a requirement...

I thought they were going to be cosmetics...

also

"That’s not all though, once a rift is closed, participants will also have the chance to receive metal lumps, including Seryll, Adamantine, and Glimmersteel! The more you input, the greater the chance of it being rare or better too. "

Can we get some info on what the actual chance is for rarer types...? (direct code snippet is fine)

Edited by Zekezor

16 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Testing time!
The even better news is, both of these will be undergoing a public test this weekend!  The planned time is for Sunday, 4pm (UTC+1) and will include both the new client AND Rifts. We’ll have some feedback surveys for you all to take part in after, so make sure you come check it out!

Any idea how many hours (or days?) the test will run for?

Still no feed back on how the new client will work with lower end power computers? I guess it doesn't matter because at this point it is what it is and telling us either way isn't going to change anything.

Thank goodness that rift business isn't in WU!

Rifts are events that occur in the current servers as a local system or will they be off-server?

I'm excited to see what it will be like, though I am more a fan of being able to teleport to a destination and have some fun combat with friends before returning to the main servers.

And as MD said, please don't make this change combat, if anything have it affect something unrelated to PVP!

I'm not generally much into the fighting but the rifts sound fun and should hopefully scratch to itch for all the people clamoring for 'end game' content. Cave dwellings and the new renderer though--that is so exciting! I hope we don't spend May 24 stuck inside collapsed cave houses, but as always prepare for the worst, hope for the best! Yay!

• Like 1

Oh the WU players are going to be upset but that is a great move keeping them to WO only, lol

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Rifts will also be a Wurm Online ONLY release. They will not come to Wurm Unlimited

uhm....

wait...

why...?

uh.... is codeclub intentionally limiting WU content to boost WO subscriptions...?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

uhm....

wait...

why...?

uh.... is codeclub intentionally limiting WU content to boost WO subscriptions...?

It was stated when WU was released that this was a possibility. Just like WU servers can have their own custom mods, so too can Wurm Online.

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Keenan said:

It was stated when WU was released that this was a possibility. Just like WU servers can have their own custom mods, so too can Wurm Online.

Uhu.....

and are these "custom mods" public for WU players to view...?

I would prefer getting materials to craft those pauldrons, rings, bracelets, necklaces and whatnot. I'm not talking from the perspective of a skilled player who wants to sell his services (since I play on Chaos), but crafting is a major part of this game and it would be a shame to leave it out of this.

• Like 10

Yeah and why not.

Edited by Mclovin

1 minute ago, Zekezor said:

Uhu.....

and are these "custom mods" public for WU players to view...?

The source code will not be public, just as the current source is not public. There may be some artifacts found in decompiled WU sources, but the main components will not be released in the source for Wurm Unlimited. The WU community has shown that it is ripe with creative individuals though, so no doubt something similar will be available for server admins eventually. :)

• Like 5

Full heal nerf - Karma to village with enemy in local - Valrei item changes - Sailboat speeds - Mine doors staying closed to enemy

LET'S DO THIS

Well ######, i guess this is what happends when a "creative individual" start making an anti-cheat engine for WU...

• Like 4

erm, so i guess when we can now pray at black lights

What about this

<21:07:21> "Mclovin[Solarblade]": [216:12] You start to pray at the altar of Magranon.
<21:07:24> "Mclovin[Solarblade]": [216:38] You finish your prayer to Tosiek.
<21:07:29> "Mclovin[Solarblade]": [216:38] You send your prayers to Magranon.
[21:07:10] You start to pray at the altar of Nathan.
[21:07:35] Your legs tingle and you feel unstoppable.
[21:07:35] You finish your prayer to Tosiek.
[21:08:17] You start to pray at the altar of Fo.
[21:08:43] You send your prayers to Fo.
[21:08:43] You finish your prayer to Tosiek.

Edited by Mclovin