Sign in to follow this  
Zephyr40k

Chronicles of Elyria

Hi folks,

I played WURM for many years and it's a great game.  If you like WURM, I'm guessing you'll also like Chronicles of Elyria.  It's the most sandboxy fantasy game I've seen other than WURM itself.  Check it out!  And, if you don't mind, when you set up an account on the forums, please use my Friend Code and plug it into your Referrer Code field! Shameless plug, I know, but hey, let's all be friends and help each other out.  

My friend-code:  FDB7F6

Thanks! 

I have my eye on this title too.  Projected release date is "end of 2017" so it isn't imminent.   Lots of intriguing game mechanics there with years of thought behind them and the demos on Unreal 4 look really good.   But I doubt players will be able to terraform (change the height map) or design their own housing.

I have my eye on this game as well! once the store feature opens on the website i plan on being a big donator :)

The Unreal Engine supports terrain deformation and all that jazz, but no, I can't say I'm optimistic about it here. It sounds like a fairly generic MMO player housing solution to me.

• Like 2

I dont think anyone has figured out how to combine player terraforming with rivers, streams, ponds, etc. in such a way as to prevent players from unleashing hydraulic armageddon on one another.   People would absolutely dam streams to flood enormous regions including property belonging to other players if they could.  Unless or until someone works out reasonable controls I expect to see one or the other but not both in the same game.

7 hours ago, Gaffer said:

I dont think anyone has figured out how to combine player terraforming with rivers, streams, ponds, etc. in such a way as to prevent players from unleashing hydraulic armageddon on one another.   People would absolutely dam streams to flood enormous regions including property belonging to other players if they could.  Unless or until someone works out reasonable controls I expect to see one or the other but not both in the same game.

You say that like there's something wrong with it...

• Like 3

Would it be fun to create a pond or lake by damming a stream?   You bet!  Would it be fun to log in and discover your property underwater due to far away activity by a random player?  Not so much.  Ditto on finding that the natural lake you built next to has suddenly drained away.  Not fun equals people don't play.  Balance is required to keep things fun and nobody seems to have solved that problem yet.

Another hard problem is how to make player created water features look appealing.

There is no reason to think these problems aren't solvable and the sooner I see it the happier I will be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Balance is required to keep things fun and nobody seems to have solved that problem yet.

If the teraforming was as slow as in Wurm it might be ok...for a while...at least 1 person couldn't altar a huge lake by much..at least not quickly.

Another thing to remember...the system would need rainfall that would pool and gather in low spots for the world to replenish its water. That would lead to a lot of unintended flooding too.

• Like 3

Not to mention being able to dig one's own terraforming to fix the situation if an issue arises.

Also +1 to the digging requiring a few peeps, should help somewhat to keeping a lid on matters. Then again I've seen even pvpers do some huge, weird terraforming... and you cant even claim its purely for defense! :P

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Looks interesting, but i'm afraid it's just as same as other MMORPGs. You will get your house and stuff, if you buy stuff. The family part is quite intresting. Nothing else looks unique, somehow similiar to other games.

• Like 1

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/

Store just went live. Kickstarter packages are available until october 28th. This is your LAST CHANCE to get unique Kickstarter packages before they change them on October 28th. Please support this AMAZING game. 100% worth. The game is already funded passed its goal, and is slated for full release in December 2017, beta's, and alpha's accessible through KS packages will start as soon as next March with Alpha 1.

Is the permadeath buy a life to keep playing thing still planned?

Imagine the newbie hunting.

I'm seeing another MO.

If that is/ has been addressed, then this game is interesting enough and I'll be there.

Maybe. I'm honestly not wholly sold.

Seems fairly generic aside from some gimmicks. BDO had gimmicks.

If I sign up, I'll provide a friend code.

Consider it a protection pass.:ph34r:

gimmicks in bdo? you could only drop a fence-farm for animals/crops to sell/use, pvp had the towers and that was the only player interaction with the map, if you don't count the traders riding around on a cart to transport goods for coin.. which was interesting contrast from the mob grinding 24/7..

Somehow I imagine this game to be another lif/blackde'th <_<:wacko: meh... I'll check it when it's out ofc-_-

• Like 1

Nah, its not perma death like you think. Its based on renown. Peasants have low renown, kings have very high renown. A king perma-dies after 6 deaths, or less if he's very old. A peasant can die over 200 times before they actually perma die. After you perma-die, you start playing the game as your kid, who has a 2x or so boost in every skill your parent had.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2016 at 6:32 PM, Jaybudd said:

The Unreal Engine supports terrain deformation and all that jazz, but no, I can't say I'm optimistic about it here. It sounds like a fairly generic MMO player housing solution to me.

Don't believe UE4 supports terrain deformation the few people that have it in UE4 game had to to make custom code

On 8/24/2016 at 4:50 PM, Gaffer said:

believe the main issue especially for a Multiplayer game is that terraforming is very demanding especially with Water as it would force alot of Map updates to everyone in the area as it slowly travels to water level

Also has anyone even seen any of these feature in Chronicles of Elyria???

• Like 1

Csponge, good intel.

I'll probably poke my head in for a day or 200. we'll see how that goes.

I was really grossed out by the permadeath rumours like that. I play rogues/assassins in most games, and that would have been terrible.

So, is this another game where the projected release date should be taken with a grain of salt and will likely be a few years later than what they claim? Besides that it looks really interesting, but these days I just can't get myself hyped up for anything anymore, and definetly not to the point of pre-ordering something.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:19 AM, enoofu said:

Don't believe UE4 supports terrain deformation the few people that have it in UE4 game had to to make custom code

believe the main issue especially for a Multiplayer game is that terraforming is very demanding especially with Water as it would force alot of Map updates to everyone in the area as it slowly travels to water level

Also has anyone even seen any of these feature in Chronicles of Elyria???

There is a tunneling stretch goal, but there will be no above ground terraforming. We're actually really close too the tunneling goal, and will more than likely reach it before the December 31 cut off date for stretch goals.

On 10/11/2016 at 1:51 PM, Ecrir said:

So, is this another game where the projected release date should be taken with a grain of salt and will likely be a few years later than what they claim? Besides that it looks really interesting, but these days I just can't get myself hyped up for anything anymore, and definetly not to the point of pre-ordering something.

Soulbound Studio's has set goals, and they will meet them. They are taking this very professionally if you ask me. They aren't promising the world at all. We all know they won't make their December 2017 delivery date, every mmo ever released has released either too early with bugs, or a little later with less bugs... It's just something you have to expect.