Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

better use of scraps

this may have already been suggested somewhere, so forgive me if i'm "preaching to the converted" on this as it were

but we have a lot of scraps that could be better used for making planks or shafts or something useful instead of being discarded or used for firewood.

for example when I do a beam for a timber framed wall, i'm left with around 6kgs of wood, so instead of throwing it away, I saw 4kg's off for a plank and 2kgs for shafts the other 0.75 could be used for something like pegs or something, that last piece could be combined to make another plank

I guess what i'm saying is this, we get ALOT of waste in wurm why not make it so we can combine those wasted bits into 1,2 or whatever to make use of them.. just a thought

Drop the left over logs back in your bsb and they merge and become whole logs again!

31 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Drop the left over logs back in your bsb and they merge and become whole logs again!

wow, I  thought I saw something like that yesterday when I was cutting logs into planks, very interesting, shame we can achieve the same with the 100's of kgs of scrap materials that we end up with.

Well scraps will remain scraps, I sacrifice mine for increased rarity window, or in WU I make kindlings for fast woodcutting skill there.

I saw a great suggestion elsewhere that was let us add scraps for "wood weight" to coal piles.  I think that would be a great use.

a possible use for wood scraps, is in the making of wood alcohol or even turpentine. Or if they could see fit to use scraps in the creation of ash within an open fireplace.

Im a creative fan, so i tend to use alot of wood making furniture for my houses etc so my thoughts are why not be able to turn scraps into planks or shafts, this way there is less waste.

every time i suggest this everybody hates it because people love wood scraps or something i de kay

+1 from me tho

Adding more uses for woodscraps is generally not a bad idea, as long as their current creation and function is not done away with. One use already is those short pass-through fences used for decorative purposes. Since they are scrap after all it is hard to think that many beautiful or useful things could be made out of them.

=Ayes=

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Adding more uses for woodscraps is generally not a bad idea, as long as their current creation and function is not done away with. One use already is those short pass-through fences used for decorative purposes. Since they are scrap after all it is hard to think that many beautiful or useful things could be made out of them.

=Ayes=

Paper and other pulped wood products?

• Like 1

we have wood scraps, paper should be easy right?

I have no issue with the "original" idea of wood scraps being used for fires, but I just think that  it's one helluva waste, as it stands right now I probably have around 5 ton of scraps sitting there waiting to be used, I only light fires when I need to cook, or use them for heating metals or clay etc  but apart from that they're just sitting there going nowhere, so maybe we could be using them for something else, as in paper or recycle to make planks or something else, the possibilities are totally endless,

devs I hope you are reading t his because we really do need another usage for wood scraps,  I mean if we can melt down iron and other bits in a melting pot to use on something else, why not give us the same for wood, another usage, besides lighting kilns forges and ovens, and the odd open fireplace.

wood scraps reduced to a pulp, just add water, while using a grinding stone, create paste, then pressed, with the use of the press already in game, let dry, have paper. Not the best paper but an alternative to papyrus, when someone doesn't have access to reeds but lots of trees. Branches as well could also be used in the making of paper. Another resource for making scrolls (navigation maps). Now there's and idea as well, Paper crafted from wood scraps could be used for the making of maps. Towns could have maps.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, Ostentatio said:

Paper and other pulped wood products?

22 hours ago, Aszhrae said:

wood scraps reduced to a pulp, just add water, while using a grinding stone, create paste, then pressed, with the use of the press already in game, let dry, have paper. Not the best paper but an alternative to papyrus, when someone doesn't have access to reeds but lots of trees. Branches as well could also be used in the making of paper. Another resource for making scrolls (navigation maps). Now there's and idea as well, Paper crafted from wood scraps could be used for the making of maps. Towns could have maps.

Yes, making paper out of them in some way seems a nice idea but creating this system would involve a lot of Dev time, so is it worthwhile to create paper for which there is little use anyway. Then a whole new system of uses for paper to make it a more diverse product would need to be developed as well. Maybe use the paper to create books and then burn the books! Full circle it becomes once again, so just burn the woodscraps instead.

=Ayes=

same mechanics as grinding seed to flour, only difference, you're adding water to have the end result of a past, equivalent to mortar.

10 x ,10 = 1.0, add to furnace or oven, probably the oven, since it's considered baking, when dried, reduced to 0.5, so you need 2.0 to equal 1.0 before puting it into a grinding wheel. Again, 2.0 required to equal 1.0 paste (mortar image, made to be more white) Option, add dye, 1.0 + 1.0 to make 1.0 coloured paste. Not sure what you would use coloured paper in an application. Place in press. Press out the water. Let dry. Could craft a rack as an additional piece of fine furniture. Later could be used as a drying rack for the drying of medicinal herbs and other plants for the making of tea. A different suggestion.

Something to think about as well. With the press that is craftable for the crafting of papyrus. The press could also be used to press a plant against the paper. Craft a picture, just add a frame. Am sure they had such things as pressed art back in the 11th century.

About a decade ago, in another game, there existed quite an involved crafting script in java, it was, maybe 2.5mb, maybe a little more or less. Maybe the dev's might consider looking at it to aid with the scripting of the suggestion made in here.

It's not as involved as some might believe. Add an object, add process, delete object, substitute another object, input % chance of success, new object.