Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Where's the God?

Why do the gods have very little Depth? (and don't tell me there is tons of lore, I mean actual things that can be done that involve the Gods)

1. Why are the divine quests distributed by HUD and not from priests, or champions?
  2. Why is it when you go to confession, the task that is asked to perform does nothing? (or does it?)
  3. Why can anyone use any enchanted item of any faith and even mixed faith enchantments?
  4. Why is bless such a seemingly useless spell?  (shouldn't this be a primer to enchanting or other activities? maybe a minor luck buff?)
  5. Why are the divine quests in line with their theology? (Fo wants to feed the hungry or plant more trees, Vynora seeks to expand knowledge, etc.)
  6. Why is there no conflict for territory of the Gods?
  7. Why is there no push for more followers?
  8. Why can't priests actually build a temple around their altar for greater benefits?
  9. Why can anyone do any quest for the Gods?

These are some of the questions I have; I think answers or new content to answer them would vastly improve the game.  If I've missed anything please let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

"Why do the gods have very little depth?"

My impression is the gods are just a genre appropriate justification for an arcane system (the spells), and for Champions (elite fighters), and for Valrei conflict, a way to explain why this content is in game. I get the impression the gods are just "a means to an end", nothing more.

To me it seems that if the gods are meant to more than just a convenient framework for other content then the new player god's spells wouldn't have been determined by just RNG... more balancing would have been used instead so the system wouldn't be so far out of whack... just my impression on the subject.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this for you than I can.

Edited by geode

well my hope is not so much a shedding of light as opposed to maybe revisiting with a little more intention What the Gods are and what they really mean in the game.

10. Why is this topic in Suggestions?

The answer to most of your questions is very simple: there's pretty much no lore in Wurm. The tiny bits that are present, play no particular role, for various reasons from "quality of life" to developing priorities and playerbase size and because there's pretty much no roleplay in Wurm. All the possible restrictions you passively proposed in OP would serve nothing other than aesthetical pleasure of few players, but in the meantime would change the gameplay tremendously for most of us.

Edited by zigozag

asking questions is fine, asking them with the intention of pointing out things you think are lacking or need improvement is i don't know annoying somehow.

but to answer all of them in 1 go: because that is how that was implemented or was never implemented

if you have an actual suggestion please feel free to make a thread about it.

You see Tallios? This is a big part of why the gods system is just a framework and not fleshed as it could be. Even if Rolf wanted to improve the system so it made more sense from a RPG standpoint there would be massive resistance to it because most people in online gaming now think it's a waste of time. Most of the players will never have even a basic appreciation for such things nor remember the roots of how and why games like Wurm came to be.

and I think this is the right place for this thread Zigozag, and your reply proves it.

Elroth, part of the reasons questions are asked IS to improve things. Looking for ways to improve something is an intrinsic part of some questions by their nature.

Edited by geode

I wouldn't say Bless is a useless enchant...

actually asking questions in this manner without making a suggestion for improvement sounds like complaining to me. i think its a non constructive way of creating change.

Might be my Dutch upbringing, but i was taught to not complain unless i make a suggestion on how to change it for the better.

also he is kind of making suggestions for changes "Why can anyone use any enchanted item of any faith and even mixed faith enchantments?" but phrasing it as a question weakens the point he tries to make.

why not make a thread and say, i think blablabla

35 minutes ago, geode said:

You see Tallios? This is a big part of why the gods system is just a framework and not fleshed as it could be. Even if Rolf wanted to improve the system so it made more sense from a RPG standpoint there would be massive resistance to it because most people in online gaming now think it's a waste of time. Most of the players will never have even a basic appreciation for such things nor remember the roots of how and why games like Wurm came to be.

and I think this is the right place for this thread Zigozag, and your reply proves it.

Elroth, part of the reasons questions are asked IS to improve things. Looking for ways to improve something is an intrinsic part of some questions by their nature.

The lore from an RPG perspective in wurm are the stories we make together, there are no NPC, quest givers, etc in this game, its a sandbox mmo.

the only RPG part of it is this. you are here now in this world. be what you want to be.

or how Rolf put it:

The Sandbox MMO

Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge! Developed around the idea of player influence, it remains one of the only Sandbox MMOs worthy of the term.

Whether you enjoy conquering kingdoms, building your home or hunting dragons, Wurm will let you.

Explore the world and make your mark!

You are correct. Wurm is a sandbox, but it also has RPG elements to it. The gods themselves are NPCs. The Traders are, the merchants, the spirit templars, etc. There are NPCs all over the place in Wurm. The gods of Wurm, the old ones, form a system of deities like in Dungeons & Dragons and affect the world of Wurm. Tallios through his/her questions is wondering why the gods system isn't more than what it is, why it doesn't shape and form what we do in Wurm more than what Rolf allowed it to. It can be argued there is an RPG basis for Wurm or their wouldn't be gods and dragons and cyclops and all that. It's very obvious to me where Rolf and Notch got some of ideas from when they crafted this game. THAT is why I say Wurm has RPG elements to it... the gods ARE the elements and so are how priests work and what it takes to become a Champion and what a player needs to do to remain one. In other games where deities are included they would usually have more of an influence on the game and what players can do than they do here. Tallios was wondering why they don't here and through questions suggested change.

As for how Tallios approached this I understand that approach. Sometimes it's easier to broach a suggestion for change through a question than by outright asking for it.

As for complaining being a bad thing.... I believe sometimes it's necessary, and I don't see Tallios suggestions as complaining. And yes I too believe it's a Dutch culture feature because I have had this exact same general discussion with my Dutch Mother-in-Law. She would see this as you do, and I would of course disagree. If people aren't allowed to complain it leads to far worse things overall than complaining. I can deal with complaining... I could NOT deal with what the world would become if complaining wasn't allowed (and I certainly couldn't deal with Wurm if complaining... which is actually JUST disagreeing... was not allowed.)

Tallios questions... suggestions... have merit in my opinion, because it points out in part WHY the Wurm economy is bad right now... too much "sandbox freedom" quite frankly. A good game has restrictions built into it, not to be a PITA but to control the flow and tempo of the game, to give it structure and some boundaries, so the participants don't start running the game instead of the gamemaster. Restrictions such as allowing only one diety's enchants on a weapon are a GOOD thing, it keeps Power Creep from taking over, it makes Players make choices and supports Risk vs. Reward. Tallios suggestions if even a few of them were implemented would eventually slow down the overheated economy by bringing enchanted items back down to where they should be instead of being the artifacts they are now (and players wonder why Rolf has a problem balancing the game). I would reduce the number of priests simply because some players would not play them (since they would not appreciate or agree to the new restrictions) but less priests are a good thing overall for Wurm because there's too many now pumping out too many items and too many services. Wurm was far more healthy as a game years ago when priests were rare.

Such changes as Tallios suggests will never unfortunately ever get implemented because players have been allowed to financially invest and benefit in real life from playing the game... and changes that threaten what has become the primary focus of Wurm... Money... will be met with stark disapproval. Change in a direction that would breath life into Wurm may be impossible now.

It's too bad Wurm Unlimited is only available on STEAM, or I would most certainly start up a server and put some of these ideas of Tallios into practice. I see wisdom in Tallios suggestions. Restrictions in a game can be a good thing for the long term health of the game, and Wurm doesn't have enough of the right ones where it counts, Religion being a big part of that.

Edited by geode

For those of you who feel that my post was complain oriented.  So far I have been able to generate a greater number of responses in a short time, and more constructive answers to possible reasons and direction to change.

Also, I have no solid idea of what would make it better.  I have thoughts and opinions, but If i state them the conversation will be +1'ed or ignored.

I wanted to try something different.   

As a side note; I think the "Dutch method" sounds a lot like.  "Shut the hell up, until you come up with something I can disagree with entirely."  I would like to promote discussion on possibilities, not say Here take it or leave it.

Edited by Tallios

10 hours ago, zigozag said:

10. Why is this topic in Suggestions?

The answer to most of your questions is very simple: there's pretty much no lore in Wurm. The tiny bits that are present, play no particular role, for various reasons from "quality of life" to developing priorities and playerbase size and because there's pretty much no roleplay in Wurm. All the possible restrictions you passively proposed in OP would serve nothing other than aesthetical pleasure of few players, but in the meantime would change the gameplay tremendously for most of us.

Yeah the lack of lore is a bummer.  I had recently been working on official lore; expanding the ancient lore, adding to it.  When it was all said and done it would have been at least 30x more robust as the current limited lore.... However that project was cancelled, sadly.  Haven, the "moon", is actually intended as a planet and fits into the lore, which is one reason why it was created and why I named it the way I did.  Maybe we'll get some more lore in the future under a new writer.

Edited by Slickshot